Summer 1221 - The Luminous Codex [Arduin]

Keehnelf
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Summer 1221 - The Luminous Codex [Arduin]

#121 Post by Grognardsw »

Arduin pondered his knowledge and delved for further connections.

Does Arduin have any clue on how to get rid of the problem? Could it be as simple as destroying the mask? If Mabon is darkness, would light be a weakness? With Arduin’s illusion magics, can he generate magic light? Based on his knowledge, does Arduin think Veil of Invisibility would work against fey, as a means of secret entry to the cottage?

About that four-leaf clover, according to lore (Google), “Celts associated the four-leaf clover with protection from evil spirits and the ability to see fairies. These magical plants were believed to protectfrom bad luck and negative energies. The Celts also believed that four-leaf clover could break enchantments cast by mischievous fairies, allowing them to perceive the hidden realm of these supernatural beings.”

Is that the case in Ars Magica?
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Keehnelf »

Whether Arduin has any insight into solutions depends a lot at this moment on what he thinks the problem is. So if you can articulate that for me, I'll let you know :)

Magic light (real light that illuminates) would be a Creo Imaginem effect but with an Ignem prerequisite (that is, you can't use more levels in Imaginem than you have in Ignem if you want real illumination or heat from it), and the level of the effect is high enough (base 15, base 25 for real illumination via illusion) that it would be extremely fatiguing if not downright dangerous for Aruin to attempt spontaneously. It's something he could learn to do with time--but likely not today.

How would you use invisibility to bypass the bramble barrier, assuming that's your intention?

Sure, four leaf clovers can definitely be used as part of protection charms of various kinds. That would be reflected in the consumption of the clover as part of a spellcast. Magical wards usually take the form of a Rego Vim effect (here Arduin's Vim score of 0 continues to be a limitation--but a clear guide for something he could work on when he has time!). Remember that the clover contains Vim vis and using it would empower the spellcast, giving +2 per pawn used on the roll--and you can use up to your Vim score in pawns per spellcast...0 right now).

I know that's a lot of "dead ends" on some of the specifics, but all useful tools for the future and clear directions for character development--Arduin knows all of this and would be keenly feeling the frustrating limitations of his training right now.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Grognardsw »

"Ah yes, Mabon - that develish pagan deity from the shadows of Gaul," explained Arduin, finishing his glass of wine. "It represents the primordial forces of darkness versus light in the daily battle of day and night and the annual war of seasons. Mabon's influence weighs heavy in the Autumnal Equinox, falling alongside our Michaelmas holiday, and extends through the Spring Equinox."

Arduin enjoyed a second glass of the Cabernet Sauvignon as he savored the venison dinner. The caramelized exterior gave way to tender, juicy meat inside that burst with a savory, earthy flavor that evoked images of the forest floor. The venison's natural gaminess, reminiscent of the animal's wild diet, added depth and complexity to each mouthful.

The steak was accompanied by a side of roasted root vegetables, their sweetness enhancing the savory notes of the meat. A drizzle of tangy berry reduction sauce complemented the dish, adding a hint of tartness and a touch of herbal freshness.

"My compliments to the cook!" exclaimed Arduin, something of a gastronome. He knew about fine food, having had a three-month affair with the wife of the chef of a noble family in Basel.

"Now to answer your question Gertrude, destroying the mask may or may not banish the infestation," said Arduin. "It's hard to say. If the mask was the conduit, its destruction may prevent future manifestations of Mabon's fey."

A plan was forming in Arduin's mind.

"I think we should get a good night's rest. I wouldn't go out there at night. The dark fey's power is greatest after the midnight hour, as testified by the gardener in noting the growth happened in the hour after midnight. In the light of morning I can make a foray to the cottage and see first hand the situation."

Details clicking into place.

"Simon, you can help to prepare by having available any machetes or scythes, torches, an ample supply of oil, as much rope as you may have, a small sack, a few large sacks, and a horse at the ready in the backyard. I will have our guards join in the effort to clear away the brambles and provide support.

Arduin wouldn't presume to put Gertrude in danger by asking her to accompany him into the cottage. But waiting around is no fun for a player, so I would prefer Gertrude participating.

My questions around Veil of Invisibility relate to avoiding detection by fey or the presence of whatever is in the cottage or thereabouts. It wouldn't help to pass through brambles. If the brambles/vines animate, they don't have eyes, so I assume they 'see' by other means.

While Arduin has spent little time actually studying the fey, he does know something about them, having had a one day/one year affair with a dryad. :lol:

Whether Arduin has any insight into solutions depends a lot at this moment on what he thinks the problem is. So if you can articulate that for me, I'll let you know

I could have many hypotheses, but it's just spinning wheels. Alebelly may have some. Until presented with more evidence by going inside the cottage, I guess I'll go with the mask let loose the dark fey which causes the unnatural growth, sounds, presence and influence or possession of the priest. Possible solutions destroy mask, confront/negotiate/banish presence, a novel idea left unsaid, with other ideas likely to arise as things progress.

I'm doubtful Arduin's illusions would be effective against fey, but I could be wrong. Is it known if fey would be fooled by phantams?
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Keehnelf »

That's all helpful clarification. Tales differ as to whether fey can be tricked by illusions created by magi. Some claim illusions are never effective, some claims they are, and some claim they're only effective when they fey want them to be, which is very confusion to Arduin and at about the limit of his understanding where these things are concerned.

Those are all solid working assumptions and courses of action, and Arduin doesn't know anything that would advise for or against any of those options at this point, except: if the mask were somehow housing or creating the fey, then the likely solution would be to destroy the mask. If the mask were only a key or something that managed to release it, destroying it wouldn't do anything to the fey and might be counterproductive (if it also served in some way as a "lock" that could "put it back". Not saying that is the case about any of it, but those are the ways Arduin understands magic to work.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Keehnelf »

Simon agrees to make ready all that the duo requires for the morning. They have one ageing draft horse, but it's still healthy, and are happy to provide it for their use.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Grognardsw »

Any ideas Alebelly, or shall we jump to the morning?
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by AleBelly »

Grognardsw wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:29 am

"Now to answer your question Gertrude, destroying the mask may or may not banish the infestation," said Arduin. "It's hard to say. If the mask was the conduit, its destruction may prevent future manifestations of Mabon's fey."
"Interesting. I suppose nothing with the fey is straightforward. So we are left to our own conjectures" she replies, sipping from her glass of wine.
Grognardsw wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:29 am
A plan was forming in Arduin's mind.

"I think we should get a good night's rest. I wouldn't go out there at night. The dark fey's power is greatest after the midnight hour, as testified by the gardener in noting the growth happened in the hour after midnight. In the light of morning I can make a foray to the cottage and see first hand the situation."

Details clicking into place.

"Simon, you can help to prepare by having available any machetes or scythes, torches, an ample supply of oil, as much rope as you may have, a small sack, a few large sacks, and a horse at the ready in the backyard. I will have our guards join in the effort to clear away the brambles and provide support.

Arduin wouldn't presume to put Gertrude in danger by asking her to accompany him into the cottage. But waiting around is no fun for a player, so I would prefer Gertrude participating.

"This plan all sounds in order, though the work is not fit for a lady. I shall remain in the residence, waiting for any signal that I may be of assistance" adds Gertrude.

I appreciate wanting to include me(Gertrude), but given the urges Julie felt at the hands of the fey influence, she would not want to sully her reputation by exposing herself to the risk of undertaking ribald activities with the menfolk.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Keehnelf »

Gertrude makes her excuses, demurring more around being a liability due to her lack of experience in the realm of the supernatural rather than revealing her anxieties about the possible social result of the anticipated encounters...

The night passes uneventfully, and around dawn the requested materials are gathered on the garden terrace that overlooks the cottage and the bramble patch, with Simon, his footman and the gardener on hand to provide any assistance that is required.

Just after the sun crests the horizon in the East, a low wind rises suddenly, sighing through the trees and setting the thorny vines quivering, before abruptly reversing direction in a sudden gust that tears leaves from branches and sets them spinning off over the fields with a powerful roar! The gust eases as quickly as it rises, however, and the glade returns to its "normal" state.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Grognardsw »

How many feet from the house to cottage? How many feet around cottage are the brambles?

Arduin awoke early that morning and had a hearty breakfast, making sure that Balthazar and the other guards also got food.

Balthazar, bring the guards and join me behind the château.”

Arduin surveyed the scene as the winds shifted.

Balthazar, you and your men will cut through the brambles a six-foot wide path to the door. Oil will be lined on each side of the path, ready to be lit if necessary. You and I and your second-best man will enter the cottage with rope end, torch and the sacks to retrieve books. The other men will line the path, holding torches. If the brambles grow and threaten, light the oil to create a corridor of flame to keep the brambles back.” Arduin kept it simple as this point, though as soldiers of the Covenant he knew that Balthazar and the men were more open minded than the typical man.

The rope will run along the path, tied up to the horse. If the rope is pulled, Gertrude please vigorously spur the horse so that it pulls out whatever the rope is attached to.”

To be continued, but need to know how long would casting of Veil of Invisibity take?
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by AleBelly »

Gertrude watches as an interested observer as Arduin organizes the men to gain access to the cottage. She has her bow ready in case anything untoward happens...she hopes not as she's not fired at anything other than a target. "Careful with the sap from those vines, now, men" she warns.

She nods in assent to Arduin. "I'll be ready on the horse once the path is cleared to the cottage." Until that time comes, she will watch, keeping herself in the shade as much as possible to avoid the summer sun.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Keehnelf »

Veil of Invisibility can be cast in moments.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Grognardsw »

Thank you Gertrude!”

Balthazar, let us also bring oil flasks and a lit torch into the cottage. You’ll spike the front door open. Before we step through the doorway, I will commune for a few moments to see if I can communicate with any untoward spirits within (and cast Veil of Invisibility.) During that time, observe what you can of the cottage within. Our focus is the books. Only on my word do we cross the threshold.”

Arduin made a loop out of the end of the rope.

If for any reason someone or something needs to be pulled out fast, hold or loop the rope, pull hard, and hold on.”

Do you have any questions?”
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Keehnelf »

Balthazar and the others look around uneasily, but they nod, confident that Arduin knows what he's doing even if they don't.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Grognardsw »

How many feet from house to cottage, and extant of brambles around cottage?

Arduin watched as the guards cut the path through the brambles to the door. He looked out for any moving vines or animated vegetation.

Gertrude,” commented Arduin quietly. “Should I not come out, do tell the Covenant what happened. If I come out and act strangely, bind me and bring me back to the Covenant where they can expel what possesses me.”
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Keehnelf »

From the edge of the low wall surrounding the garden, it's about twenty-five feet to the edge of the overgrowth. From the edge of the overgrowth, the nearest corner of the cottage is about fifteen feet, but the front door is on one of the "sides" of the building as you look at it from the house, so add perhaps another ten feet to reach that.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Keehnelf »

Balthazar and the other guards approach the edge of the brambles and raise their blades--unnecessarily, as it turns out. When they are within arm's reach of the mass of vegetation, suddenly bright green leaves begin to grow and unfurl all along the dry, cracked, thorny vines, glistening as with a morning's fresh dew. Before their eyes, berries spring forth under the leaves, round and heavy and red. They ripen and grow at immense speed, their skins straining with the fullness of the juices that are steadily multiplying within, until the nearest one to Balthazar burst suddenly, spattering the front of his doublet with sweet nectar.

With a low rustle, the vines begin to retreat in a limited area, clearing a path just a few feet wide from the edge of the thorns to the cottage's door.

Balthazar looks back at Arduin, a confused and pained look on his face, before he drops his sword and shoves one of the other guards out of his way in his haste to rush toward the cottage. The pushed man, who had himself gone suddenly senseless, falls into the thornbushes and begins to fiercely pluck the enormous berries, nearly the size of his closed fist, shoving them heedlessly into his mouth.

A low sighing voice drifts along the wind--a woman's voice, singing a soft and tuneless melody, from some untold distance, but also close at hand.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by AleBelly »

"If that is your request, I shall bind you and take you to the covenant now, Arduin" she laughs, attempting to bring some levity to the situation. "But yes, I understand. If you act more strangely, we shall endeavor to do as you ask to bring you back to your usual self."

Her expression turns solemn. "Godspeed, Arduin. I will see you soon."

Sorry, had typed this out before Keehnelf's update...
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by AleBelly »

Keehnelf wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:52 am Balthazar and the other guards approach the edge of the brambles and raise their blades--unnecessarily, as it turns out. When they are within arm's reach of the mass of vegetation, suddenly bright green leaves begin to grow and unfurl all along the dry, cracked, thorny vines, glistening as with a morning's fresh dew. Before their eyes, berries spring forth under the leaves, round and heavy and red. They ripen and grow at immense speed, their skins straining with the fullness of the juices that are steadily multiplying within, until the nearest one to Balthazar burst suddenly, spattering the front of his doublet with sweet nectar.

With a low rustle, the vines begin to retreat in a limited area, clearing a path just a few feet wide from the edge of the thorns to the cottage's door.

Balthazar looks back at Arduin, a confused and pained look on his face, before he drops his sword and shoves one of the other guards out of his way in his haste to rush toward the cottage. The pushed man, who had himself gone suddenly senseless, falls into the thornbushes and begins to fiercely pluck the enormous berries, nearly the size of his closed fist, shoving them heedlessly into his mouth.

A low sighing voice drifts along the wind--a woman's voice, singing a soft and tuneless melody, from some untold distance, but also close at hand.
"Melchior! Balthazar! Stop at once!" Gertrude cries, her voice cracking despite her best efforts. She scans the vegetation and above for the source of the song, not daring to raise her bow before identifying it...not that she hopes to see an actual being as the source.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Grognardsw »

Well, so much for Mabon’s influence being weaker in the day time, thought Arduin. Maybe he wasn’t involved.

No one eat the berries!” announced Arduin. “Everyone plug your ears!”

Can Arduin detect magic in the area?
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Keehnelf »

Not passively. He might be able to pull off a spontaneous spell intended to detect magical effects, but it would be fatiguing even if it worked. What he does know is the aura of the surrounding area doesn't seem to have altered as these changes took place.

The grogs are insensible to the cries of their superiors--Balthazar disappears through the front door of the cottage; Melchior writhes around in the thornbushes, squashing fruit into his gaping mouth and slobbering the juice all over himself while moaning in ecstacy; the third stands blankly gazing up at the sky, his ear cocked trying to understand the words of the song that still hangs in the air.

Arduin hears familiar words, half-forgotten strains in the song. It speaks of sweaty summer evenings, the tickle of grass on his naked back, of hoarsely gasping breaths...

Gertrude, for her part, feels no ill effects beyond her horror at the spectacle unfolding before her.

Return to “The Verdant Springs (Ars Magica)”