The Lost Tavern

OGRE MAGE
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Lost Tavern

#81 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

"We can ask about seeing the area the rooms are in, I am picky about where I sleep and will need to see it first if at all possible."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#82 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Lost Tavern
The Ethereal Plane

Cresty feels like he could stare out into the pink soup forever.
pink-mist.jpg
pink-mist.jpg (54.51 KiB) Viewed 402 times
Torbath entices the barkeep with another drink or two. "Sure thing. The market door is right over there. The one with the sign on it that reads Ethereal Marketplace. The door to the fighting pits and gambling den is the one directly under the lodging stairway, also clearly marked for your convivence. The other doors lead to more portals. You could use the patio door there to get a closer look into the soup, but the air outside can be a little hard to handle if you aren't used to it."

Andron suggests a look around, when Alordan reminds the group they don't actually have anything to look for in here. In fact, after asking around for anything related to the island or anyone named Wendall, they get no information pertaining to their situation whatsoever. Is it possible this place simply exists as a retreat? A temporary escape from the rigors of the real world? Or worlds? How many other worlds are out beyond the pink soup?

After a nice hot meal of roast beast and fresh vegetables, including more of those piping hot buttered bread fingers Theo likes so much, the party decides to explore the upper and lower areas of the tavern. A search upstairs reveals a sprawling hotel area with more rooms than one could count. They have available and open accommodations for almost every type of rooms you could imagine, including one with enough bunks of comfortable beds for the entire group. Companionship and any other similar amenities can be set up on an as-needed basis.

Downstairs is much the same, with two separate larger areas and a comfortable sitting room in between them. Again, there are all manner of folks enjoying the show and games of chance, everyone somehow speaking the same language and communicating with one another without difficulty, despite the obvious race, culture, and species differences. There is no pressure to play or fight, or to gamble on any of the fights. And again, any questions about the island or obelisks or mega-gems are waved off as folly, with none of the people you ask having any idea what you are talking about.

Actions?

I'm not going to flesh out a bunch of areas that I don't intend to use for encounters, but feel free to ask if you need better descriptions of anything.

Aliendron AC10 13/17 (CL4) 1st 0/5 2nd 1/4 (MU3) RM, CL, DM, 1st 0/2 2nd 0/1
Theo AC:5 13/13 (Sword)
Alordan AC3 18/22
Torbath (M3) AC8 18/18 RM, CL, DM, 1st 2/2 2nd 1/1 (top of backpack) Comet AC:7 4/4]
Lerrick: (C5) AC:5 26/28 1st 2/5, 2nd 4/5 3rd 2/2 (Light Stone)
Cresty: (F2) AC:4 17/17
Tlachtga (D4) AC7 31/31 1st 6/6 2nd 4/4 3rd 2/3 (Light Stone)
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

"Beginning to look like a dead end. A very interesting dead end, perhaps a great one to rest up at if need be. But, I don't think we are going to learn much useful to our current pursuit here."
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Quonundrum »

Aliendron

"It would appear so, Miss Tlachtga. I must say though, as a priest of Rao, this place is fascinating to me. All manner of creatures ... from different planes ... different worlds ... all peacefully coexisting here. All able to understand each other ... presumably in their native languages. We have yet to visit the Ethereal Market, however. Frankly, I could use a change of attire." He gestures to indicate the yellow suit and boots he's wearing; acquired from a dead alien on the metal ship. "And ... maybe I can find someone who can tell me more about this unusual ring." He hold up his left hand, upon which he wears the Band of Fools.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

"Agreed, we should at least finish looking into all this place has to offer. Perhaps there will be someone or something there that can aid us."
kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#86 Post by kruk »

Lerrick

I would like to go to the market as well

Cresty

The fighter comes back from the window and joins Lerrick. I didn't see anything. Perhaps you were imagining things or it was an illusion of some sort. Or perhaps it was the motion of the pink mist that was playing tricks with your vision. I would be open to investigate if anyone would like to go.

The cleric doesn't event attempt to answer the fighters request
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by gurusql »

Torbath

Torbath agrees we should at least check out the other locations.
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan is fascinated by the locale and number of various creatures that all seem to get along. Alcohol - the universal language.

“The only lead left is the marketplace I guess”.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by jemmus »

Theo inspects his chain mail clogged with swamp algae, his holed and explosion-blasted and well-smoked cloak from the smoky world expedition, and his naked faintly-glowing bastard sword drawn from The Eldar's festering wound in its turd-saturated domed hut thing. Then at his boots. Slime-encrusted and dry-smoked, but overall, not in bad shape overall. Still entirely servicable.

I wouldn't mind a trip to the marketplace either. I need a sheathe and shoulder belt for my sword. There's been no chance to get one for it until now. Oh yeah, and a re-stock of arrows. He draws the attention of senior ranger colleague Alordan and nods. As a courteous reminder. Don't forget the arrows, yeah? Yeah, me either.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#90 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Lost Tavern
The Ethereal Plane

Bypassing the hot baths and in-house laundry service, the group reconvenes on the main floor of the tavern again, ready to try their luck in the Ethereal Marketplace. Approaching the plain looking wooden door, they notice a group of five short humanoid creatures with no heads and multiple arms carrying what looks like a huge rolled up rug or tapestry of some kind. They enter the main area and head directly towards a nearby portal along the wall, passing through it and disappearing as quickly as they entered. Nobody else nearby pays any attention to occurrences like this, and though your group gets a few stares during your visit, you are not accosted inside the tavern in any way. The same cannot be said about the market.
74DE3DA2-DB3D-4C09-A7B3-247C142D0A4F.jpeg
74DE3DA2-DB3D-4C09-A7B3-247C142D0A4F.jpeg (132.04 KiB) Viewed 351 times

As soon as you open the door next to the sign, you are blasted with the sights and sounds of a sprawling and packed urban bazaar. Oddly, the door opens out onto a very plain looking street, with no signage or flags to identify the building or this area in any way. (though you do notice an identical sign on the backside of the door that once closed again reads “Three Gnomes Tavern”. The street is cluttered with small carts and pack animals of all kinds, some common, and others the likes of which you have never seen before. This alleyway isn’t marked or named in any way either, but the lack of proper signage doesn’t seem to bother all the people walking through it back and forth.

The buildings in this area are tall, three or four stories in most cases, blocking your view of any skyline or other noticeable monuments in the distance. The street heads in two different directions, but from the sheer volume of noise, smells, and all the people, this market is obviously enormous.

Most of the people you see appear human, but there are plenty of other races around. You seem to currently be in an area where fruits and other, more interesting foodstuffs are sold, where barkers cry out from their stalls to get folks attention as the amble by. Urchins and beggars can be seen by the dozens, and seedy folks who stick to the shadows peer out cautiously to get a look at the size of your coin purses.

Actions?

Alordan AC3 18/22
Torbath (M3) AC8 18/18 RM, CL, DM, 1st 2/2 2nd 1/1 (top of backpack) Comet AC:7 4/4]
Tlachtga (D4) AC7 31/31 1st 6/6 2nd 4/4 3rd 2/3 (Light Stone)
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

Asking a passing individual, "Do you know where I can find any live animals for sale?"
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan suggests “heads we go left - tails we go right?”
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by jemmus »

Theo mentally bookmarks the tavern's bath and laundry areas. He asks an approachable-looking being in the bazaar. Excuse me, do you know where I could buy arrows and a sword scabbard?
PCs

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Quonundrum »

Aliendron

As comfortable as he felt inside the tavern, the bustling street is reminiscent of his old home in Niole Dra. Certainly a far more familiar environment than an island jungle to the urban scholar. He awaits the responses to his friends' queries, his attention upon the people around them, particularly those in the shadows. Their entry into the island plateau aroused the three headed giant. There may likewise be others with a compelled interest in the new arrivals ...
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by gurusql »

Torbath

Torbath will "stay with the group", but will keep his eyes open for a Jeweler's shop.
kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by kruk »

Lerrick

The cleric moves along with the group. She has no interest in purchasing anything

Cresty

The fighter follows along as well. He has no money to purchase anything

Both the fighter and cleric scan the area for any threats while staying close to the group.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#97 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Lost Tavern
The Ethereal Plane

It takes about 30 seconds for the party to be surrounded by young beggars, tugging on robes and looking for spare coin. The children look human, but are dirty and poorly clothed. They poke at belt pouches and other areas, asking for money and telling the group they can lead them anywhere in the marketplace they want to see.

Theo gets his answer from a friendly passer-by. "That kind of stuff is sold over in the weapons district. This is the food district. You need to be north of here by a few blocks."

Tlachtga stops a young woman carrying a basket filled with freshly baked bread. "Oh, I think all the farm animals are sold over in the central courtyard. There are other places to find more exotic stuff, if that's what you're looking for."

Moving into the mass of people walking the streets, you are nearly shoulder to shoulder in this busy area, and the pestering children remain relentless.

Actions?

Alordan AC3 18/22
Tlachtga (D5) AC7 35/35 1st 6/6 2nd 5/5 3rd 2/3 (Light Stone)
kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#98 Post by kruk »

Lerrick

The cleric is uncomfortable being jammed into such a crowded place. She checks her belongings every 30 seconds or so to make sure she has her stuff. Although her heart aches for the young ones begging for coin she knows that if she gives one coin out to one person she'll be mobbed by several others. Lerrick says a silent prayer of good fortune for all of them. She follows the alien magic user-cleric, being content with the items she already has.

Cresty

Children!...I wish I could help your but I have nothing to offer! He sees a someone a half a block away who looks like a someone with lots of money, a noble of some sort. Go that way! he bellows as he points towards the person's way. He moves forward with the clerics and the alien spell caster.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Quonundrum »

Aliendron

He kneels down and gently gathers the children. He attempts to identify a leader or one who appears concerned with the safety of the others. To this one he hands his last coins. Three gold and one silver.

"The peace of Rao be with you. This is all the coin I have right now. Please use it to feed yourself and your friends. We are also strangers here. Can you be our guides? My friend, Miss Tlachtga is looking for exotic animals. That one is Theo. He is interested in weapons. I, myself, am in need of new clothing and those who deal in magic and precious gemstones."
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by jemmus »

Theo is surprised that the adventurers-- who seem much more experienced than himself-- are so broke. It seems that there's not much opportunity for earning wealth on the island. He'd like to let the crew know that he has a modestly full coin pouch. But he knows that children are generally more alert and observant than adults. This crew of scammers and keeners would likely pick up on it much faster than the tired, fairly smelly group of expert-ish... whatever we all are. His meet the eyes of the young operators wisely and knowlingly. They say, "Yeah, I know what yer up to. I for one ain't fooled."

He clears his throat, signingly looks around to each of the crew, and blindly reaches into the pouch in his pack. He pulls out a copper. The urchins spot it, and aren't especially pleased. "Damn, not enough," he thinks He reaches again and pulls out a gold. The urchins spot that, right enough. The reasonably and prudently frugal and parsimonious ranger chokes back an audible groan. "Damn, too much!" He digs a third time and pulls out a silver. "Just right. Why do you always find something in the last place you look?" He says, Mr. Andron, I'll contribute some, as I can. He passes the three coins into the slim palm and oddly long fingers of the magician-cleric's(?) hand. The children nudge each other, chuckle and scoff, and smile up at the awkward young ranger with innocent beaming, grateful, ironic smirks.
PCs

Return to “Big Shiny Island (1E Sandbox, with real sand)”