Chapter 15: The Slime God

Inferno
SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 15: The Slime God

#81 Post by SilverBen »

Finver nods in acknowledgement to Connak as he accepts the first watch duty, "Thank ya, Catman, I'll stand in fer ya after I get some sleep."

It does not take long for the dwarf to find a restful position nearby. He folds his arms and begins meticulously grooming his beard with the splayed fingers of one hand.

He continues this self-soothing habit until his eyes begin close and gentle snores can be overheard with each slow breath. The intent is to recover lost hit points.

"Zzz, Zzz Zzz..."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by jemmus »

By Verne and Wells, that's an excellent, well-thought, and very logical plan! Mungo exclaims. We get the slime good back into the caverns and ward all of the exits! Three exits (we think), so three glyph spells needed. I'll cogitate and prayer for two in the morning. Those are elegant and rather complicated spells. Two is all I can manage. The aged moleman dines on some Altrusian food from his pack and looks forward to some repose before his watch. With time and experience, he's gotten better at dozing off and sleeping well while things such as slime gods from outer space are around.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Rex »

Draupadi

"Two is all I can manage as well and will pray for two. Best to have an extra just in case."
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Fiefo gets a glazed look in his eye as the ward talk continues. He’s simultaneously impressed - he had no idea his companions were capable of such big magic - and suuuuuuuper bored. His eyes slowly droop and shut.
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ko-nan is glad to be past the slime. "If you can't seal it in - we go back and burn it!"
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Inferno »

The Jungle Primeval
Forbidden Island of Xygax the Wizard, Land of One Thousand Towers
Dawn. Sunday, April 15th, 912 CY

Some half mile from the starfall and the Slime God it released, the adventurers leave the slime-blighted lands and reenter the jungle primeval.

For the better part of the day they venture deeper to escape the creeping scourge of slime. They encounter no fauna, not even the song of terrordactyls.

They camp for the night in the eerie silence and rotate through the watch undisturbed.

By dawn, the edge of the crawling slime blight has reached them!

Actions?! (Please deduct one days' rations each.
Nightly healing is accounted for below. Connak, Finver and Ko-Nan are not fully healed and may roll for additional healing as per the house rules.
Casters may now pray and study for new spells. Thanks!)

Map:
White X marks the PCs' location.

PC Status:
Connak: Cat-Man Fighter/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 23/24
Draupadi: Human Cleric 5: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 41/41, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Fiefo LeBratt: Rat-Man Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 1, HP: 29/29
Finver Karstlander: Dwarven Fighter 4: Move 6", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/35
Ko-Nan: Human Barbarian 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 38/51
Maskelyn: Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 18/18, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl
Mungo: Mole-Man Cleric 5: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 39/39, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Rex »

Draupadi

"I have the Glyphs now. We should be prepared to use fire as well. And keep in mind we wont have the ability to cure an infection until we rest again."
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Urson »

Maskelyn
Maskelyn studies his spells and readies himself for the battle.
spell list updated

Ok, we think we know what has to be done- let's get a plan in mind, so we don't lose any time while we're dealing with His Divine Goopyness. The best I can do is provide a distraction- Trickster help me. Who's doing what?
FA FO
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by jemmus »

Mungo sits cross-legged in his boots and silently prays for a spell that he has rarely used. "O! Verne and Wells, Wells and Verne! This cave of the cave people is beset by the foul slime of a foul slime god. It's a hideous one, too. Really, really repulsive. I beseech you, o! divine savants, to grant me your power to prevent the nauseating scoundrel god's egress from out of the cavern! By way of not one, but two Glyphs of Warding! We might need both of them."

That done, the moleman rises and says, Ko-Nan, big fellow, step over for some of the healing power of the divine.
Assuming/if Ko-Nan does so:
Cure Light Wounds [1d8]=8 [1d8]=6
One day's rations subtracted from character sheet. I'm not sure if I'm up to date on the inventory. I think it's the third day since we left the Sleestak city. (Mungo rested and cast Cure Disease, then rested and cast Cure Disease. And now it's the next morning.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Fiefo is alarmed by the speed of the advancing slime. Maybe they can't avoid it after all...

"I can hold a torch in one hand and my blade in the other and guard whoever's... doing whatever it is we're doing," he says.
SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#91 Post by SilverBen »

Finver rises, stretches, and yawns. He scratches his arm where the slime infection once was to check it no longer threatens him. He carefully and respectfully observes the Moleman cleric praying.

He has a lost look on his facw asking "What can I do ta be helpful, Master Mungo?"
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”
SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#92 Post by SilverBen »

[1d20]=18

Unfortunately, Finver failed his CON Ability Check and no additional HP recovered
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by redwarrior »

Connak Stretches and... purrs after a full night's sleep restores him to full health. Like the other non-mages, he offers I can guard, hold torches, whatever is needed. Just tell me what you need me to be doing.

Con check for hp target 12 [1d20]=11
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ko-Nan takes some rest with the others. While he finds the sorcerous tricks of the island wizard revolting, he's come to appreciate the healing powers that the likes of Mungo's faith bring.

Con (16) [1d20]=10
SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#95 Post by SilverBen »

Finver gives Ko-Nan a friendly on the back jovially chuckling when he can only reach the human's shoulder blade who towers over him... "Be at ease with tha spells of Verne and Wells, Ko-Nan." He proudly raises his arm to show the barbarian with fingers vibrantly wiggling. "I woulda been a slimy puddle if it weren't fer Master Mungo!"
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Inferno »

The Jungle Primeval
Forbidden Island of Xygax the Wizard, Land of One Thousand Towers
Dawn. Sunday, April 15th, 912 CY

Dawn comes to the silent jungle. In the night, the crawling slime blight reached the adventurers' camp!

The priests and sorcerer regain their magic power, and Mungo heals Ko-Nan of his dire wounds. (+14hp)

Then they begin to lay their plans. There are at least three ways into the cavern of the Slime God that must be sealed with holy wards; two cave mouths and the rift at the bottom of the impact crater.

Maskelyn says, "Ok... Who's doing what?"

Actions?!

Map:
White X marks the PCs' location.

PC Status:
Connak: Cat-Man Fighter/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 24/24
Draupadi: Human Cleric 5: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 41/41, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Fiefo LeBratt: Rat-Man Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 1, HP: 29/29
Finver Karstlander: Dwarven Fighter 4: Move 6", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/35
Ko-Nan: Human Barbarian 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 51/51
Maskelyn: Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 18/18, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl
Mungo: Mole-Man Cleric 5: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 39/39, Spells: 3/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#97 Post by SilverBen »

Inferno wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:37 pm ... There are at least three ways into the cavern of the Slime God that must be sealed with holy wards; two cave mouths and the rift at the bottom of the impact crater.

Maskelyn says, "Ok... Who's doing what?"
Finver balks in righteous indignation at the gnome's seemingly practical question, "Who? Are ya forgettin' that ya have a dwarf of Karstland among ya? Is there any doubt in yer minds I'm gonna lead ya down there? I think y aalready know I'm going and yer really askin' who's coming with me. Right? How 'bout you Ratman?" he asks Fiefo.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Rex »

Draupadi

"I think it best we stay together. We get to one opening, seal it and move to the next. We will need to move as fast as possible once we start the wards."
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ko-nan agrees to moving fast to finish off the locks needed - or kill the thing completely. If time allows, he'll spend time hunting in the forest before setting out.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Urson »

Maskelyn
When Slimy figures out what we're doing, he's gonna try to stop us. How's about I try to keep him busy at one opening while you fellas seal the other two?
FA FO

Return to “Once and Future Earth (1e)”