OGRE MAGE
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Garrotten

#741 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

Casts Wall of Exposition.

Lestadt accepts the vial and stashes it within a shirt pocket. "Thank you, Ashley. It is a potion of gaseuous form. I had hoped Carling could use it to effect an escape. That he is now imprisoned in the castle is extremely bad, as that is where the evidence seems to be ultimately directing us."

"I don't know the details around Priska's death. Redgrave managed to flee and Draxon went with Zahra to Luna's house to treat his owl from an errant arrow. I came here to maintain my cover and warn Abraham about the situation."

"We already suspected the two shorter men, Oscar and Philmar are assassins. We were unsure about the tall man, Captain Basmar. Aside from definitely not being a captain, we thought he may be an agent of the Lord Mayor, but your timely discovery of their intentions almost certainly means he is also of the Guild."

"As to the physical evidence, the lute string was stolen from Balmorrow by a troupe member and given to his love. She had worked in the castle as a maid. Both have fled the town last night. The button was stolen from one of Abraham's vests. Likely while drying on a line from the last washing. Falpir, the young stable boy, we suspect may have seen something, but he has been reluctant to talk. Draxon and I met with Harper. His holy symbol still has both ruby eyes intact."

"From our investigation, it's quite clear the existance of the assassins is an open secret. Which, to me, raises the question as to why the Lord Mayor has not more publicly hunted them. At the very least, if these assassins were bold enough to kill the Baron, why not attempt to frame her or one of her lieutenants ... unless she is complicit."

"As I see it, we need to infiltrate the castle and investigate her involvement, if any. We also definitely need to spy on this meeting under the bridge."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#742 Post by Spearmint »

Karloff Redgrave

"Perhaps we need to catch this spy before the town gossips rally and go 'oh look, there's a dwarf. He must be an assassin.'" he suggests.

He doubles the pace of his short legs in the hope of catching up with the watcher.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#743 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Luna

She feels the eyes upon the gang acutely. "We need to distance ourselves from Redgrave. And you need to go back in hiding, for now. Not at my place, I don't need the guards breaking down my door."

"I got caught up in following him and didn't mean to fully enter town again. This is a mistake." Luna crosses the road to distance herself and slows her pace as well. She's still trying to spot where the watcher goes, but is trying to be discrete.
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#744 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

"Agreed, Karloff needs to stay away for a while."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#745 Post by Rex »

Zahra

Zahra breaks off with Draxon.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#746 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Albert's Insanity
Godsday, Morning, Clear
Second Day After The Barons Murder

The Takers

Abraham looks Ashley over carefully when she finally shows herself. "That statue you speak of is the pride of the castle. It took some effort to create such powerful magics, so be careful who you say things like that to."

After introductions are complete, the trio discuss what they have learned so far, corroborating each others thoughts and suspicions, while coming up with ideas about how to proceed.

"I should probably get back inside soon. I too suspect some of the folks here are in cahoots with this faction of evil, so I didn't want to have this conversation where we might be overheard. What shall we do about this for the immediate future? Shall I go about my usual business as if I know nothing? And what of your man that was captured?"

Actions?

Lestadt AC:8 20/20
Ashley AC:8 28/31

The Return Of The Wanted Dwarf

As if he thinks nothing bad could possibly come from returning to the area he was just chased out of, Redgrave ignores the gawkers and double times his pursuit of the tall dark stranger, now actually running back into town to catch up.

Luna and the others quickly recognize the errors of their way, suddenly unwilling to be seen with the renegade dwarf. They veer off in another direction but continue to watch the dwarf and the fleeing human.

When the man gets to the corner of the street and is about to cross the lawn towards the tavern, he notices that the dwarf is running to catch him now, so he starts pointing and shouting out loudly for everyone to hear. "THE DWARVEN ASSASSIN HAS RETURNED TO COMMIT MURDER AGAIN!!! HE IS RIGHT THERE!!!! SOMEONE CALL THE GUARDS!!!!!"

Now several people have noticed this less than welcome return of the changeling dwarf.

Actions?

Draxon AC:5 27/27 DM/MM/US ESP/K
Zahra AC:5 24/24 CLW/CLW/C/DM/DM A/DC/KA/SWA
Luna AC:7 26/26 DM/E/FF/IA/SA/SA CPoM/CM/CLW/T NP/P/SS

Redgrave AC:3 20/25

Am I the only one who believes some players are sabotaging this investigation intentionally? :lol:
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#747 Post by Spearmint »

Karloff Redgrave

Well having been asked to walk in Luna's shadow and sneak upon the Watchman, it appears he is running headlong towards him and has suddenly been abandoned by the others. So much for putting myself in harm's way so that the guards didn't finish Vorpal off at the foot of the Keeps walls.

Redgrave about turns and heads out of the town..
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#748 Post by Rex »

Zahra

Zahra tries to keep track of the stranger in the confusion.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#749 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

Speaking to Abraham, "Yes, just act as you normally would. I will return with you under the pretense that we checked Redgrave's room. I'll stay at the bar and wait for Draxon. As for Carling, there isn't much we can do to help him at the moment. For the immediate future, we need to let the tension in the town subside."

"Ashley, perhaps you could meet with the others at Luna's house? It's the third one up the north road running by the lake. Communicating without drawing more suspicion on us is extremely important." He steps over to the door and carefully opens it slightly to peer outside for any lurking observers.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#750 Post by dmw71 »

This was awesome, and much appreciated!

"No offense," Ashley says quietly, nodding at Abraham when he cautions her about slandering the statue.

Still trying to process all the information shared with her, Ashley turns her attention to Lestadt. "How important is getting the stable boy to talk?" she queries quietly. "I might have my ways... unless you think it's more important that I pass a message to the others."

"But, no matter what, I will be surveying the midnight meeting at the bridge."
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#751 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

"It is important, but given the rapidly developing situation with the investigation though, it's much more important we get everyone up to speed with the discoveries and our next steps. Abraham is trying to coax Falpir into divulging what he's holding back."
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#752 Post by dmw71 »

“Then I will head to Luna's house.”

“The third house up the north road,”
Ashley repeats rhetorically, cementing the detail in her memory. “Any particular message I should share?”
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#753 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

"Inform them of the meeting at the bridge. Draxon and I can seek an audience with the mayor and later tonight recon the castle for any secret entrances and patrol schedules. We will also need to contact Redgrave and regroup somewhere secure."
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#754 Post by dmw71 »

”Is the bridge then where everyone should plan on meeting?”

After hearing Lestadt’s response, Ashley offers a nod to both Abraham and Lestadt before slipping the ring back on her finger and disappearing from view.

“If one of you could get the door?”
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#755 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

"I think we should arrange a meeting before tonight, although I'm not sure where would be suitable. It may be better to lay low and exchange discrete messages."
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#756 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Luna

She cringes as the watcher yells out. "Well, that's about right. Sometimes, things just go sideways, don't they?"

Luna recedes to an alley between buildings, seemingly fleeing from the supposed danger. She keeps an eye on the watcher and the tavern.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#757 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Does Draxon want to take an action before I update here?
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#758 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

Draxon will move to the side of the road stepping away from the dwarf, still trying to watch the man of the road.

I thought I had already posted - my error.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#759 Post by OGRE MAGE »

There He Is Again
Godsday, Morning, Clear
Second Day After The Barons Murder

The Takers

Abraham looks crossways at Ashley when she speaks of ways to make the boy talk, about to intervene when Lestadt seems to iron out the issue.

It is agreed that Ashley will head to Luna's shack on the lake where she can fill the others in on the plan to meet later and investigate this midnight meeting at the bridge.

The dagger fighter disappears again with the help of her magic ring before the group moves back outside where they part ways once again.

Abraham mumbles to Lestadt as they make their way back into the tavern. "Just how many of you folks did the ol' wizard send here?"

Actions?

Lestadt AC:8 20/20
Ashley AC:8 28/31

The Return Of The Wanted Dwarf

Zahra stops where she is, watching the movements of the tall dark stranger closely.

Luna and Draxon part ways as well, with the woman stepping behind a building once the man starts shouting.

Redgrave sees the attention he is drawing once again, his destructive rampage only moments old in the minds of these townies. He gets more people pointing and shouting, causing him to veer off and head back out of town again.

While none of the townies seem willing to follow the dangerous dwarf, they continue shouting for the guards as he makes his second escape. Anyone watching the tall dark stranger notices that he is apparently attempting to follow the dwarf now, moving in a wide circle around the outer buildings, but keeping his target in sight as they both move to the north.

Actions?

Draxon AC:5 27/27 DM/MM/US ESP/K
Zahra AC:5 24/24 CLW/CLW/C/DM/DM A/DC/KA/SWA
Luna AC:7 26/26 DM/E/FF/IA/SA/SA CPoM/CM/CLW/T NP/P/SS

Redgrave AC:3 20/25
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#760 Post by Spearmint »

Karloff Redgrave

I will keep to the north road that exits along the lake, past Luna and Lizzie's dwellings. I don't look behind but trust the others, while not following me are following the other figure. Once out of town, if I can perceive the man, I will hail him and approach him.

If I can get close enough I might recognise him as one from the tavern. Which could be either Basmar or Philmar as Oscar was of much smaller stature.

Return to “L2 The Assassin’s Knot (1e)”