Lupre

Revenant
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Lupre

#81 Post by The Bindoner »

Wilwayaisawén

As she is asking Athan What do you suggest? Shall we close quickly as one or… Thena charges past.

...ah. I will leave you to handle tactics for the rest.

Wilwayaisawén runs after the headstrong cleric, so she has some support against whatever she meets.
If possible she will cast the cantrip Flare to dazzle the active archer as she follows Thena. If it is either/or she runs without casting:

Concentration check: [1d20]=16
edwardsobel
Strider
Strider

#82 Post by edwardsobel »

Reggie

With a threat from above, reggieknows the danger of archers in the "rigging" she quickly tries to find a means to get to the closest archer perch in the tree.

Perception [1d20+5]=13+5=18

Climb [1d20+5]=15+5=20
Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#83 Post by Revenant »

As Reggie grips the tree and begins to shimmy up quickly like she's climbing a mast and rigging the archer on the platform above now cannot see her as the platform blocks her from his line of sight but he already has another target in his sights firing another shot at Athan which again falls short.

Bryne doesn't hesitate and fires at the archer who shouted intruders. She catches him offguard and the force of the hit throws him off balance and with a scream he falls from his platform crashing to the ground below. Still alive and whimpering he attempts to pull a dagger sheathed at his waist, Bryne's arrow still sticking his right shoulder.

Bryne attacking the archer who shouted intruders: [1d20]=18

Thena and Wilwarin round the wall of the ruined inn, in time to see the outline of a ghostly bear surround the woman they now see. She is tall and muscular armored in chain and wielding a greatsword. She holds her position with the sword in front of her, waiting for you to make the first move. A man dressed in studded leather stands a few feet to the woman's right, wielding two hand axes in either hand he looks first to Thena and then Wilwarin, "Looks like we have company and a little bird flew in right behind her." He grins and starts towards you. A third man much bigger than the first two figures stands behind them. He wears heavy furs and feathers are woven into his long dark hair. His face is covered in woad that forms the pattern of a crow in flight. He pounds a heavy wooden staff he holds, on the ground and begins to chant again in a deep gutteral voice.

You heard four voices from the other side and its true you see four figures before you, but the fourth is a man who lies bound at the feet and hands and his mouth is gagged. Bright blue eyes look your way and then dart to his right where another partial wall stands, the ground beneath it covered in shadows.
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#84 Post by Darithe »

Mave:

Talon in hand she moves to meet the injured archer, "Drop the dagger or die!" She then shouts to Athan, "We have this under control sir. Perhaps you should see if Thena needs a hand."

OOC: I will be out of town for the holidays after today.
Last edited by Darithe on Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zaella
Runner
Runner

#85 Post by Zaella »

Zaella

Zaella moves in as the action takes place, trying to keep out of the way of the action. She tries as quietly as possible to move up to where Wilwarin and Thena are meeting the new group. Zaella swears in a couple languages as she sees them, and prepares to attack if needed.
Nazard
Strider
Strider

#86 Post by Nazard »

Sorry everyone. I stopped getting notifications on Dec 21 for some reason. Catching up now…

Sir Athan:

Suddenly hit by indecision, it takes Mave’s voice to prompt him into a lumbering run around the wall of the inn.

Once in sight of this diverse group, Athan assumes a defensive posture in front of the girls, squaring off against Little Axe.
Sir Athan

HP: 12/12
Arrows: 20
Smite Evil (+3 attack, +1 damage): 0/1
Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#87 Post by Revenant »

Mave faces off against the fallen archer who shows no sign of giving up and continues to move towards her, dagger now in hand. Despite his injuries he moves surprisingly fast and catches her by surprise managing to get in attack before she can react.

Fallen archer: [1d20]=1

His feeble attempt at striking Mave, and his injuries no doubt, throw him off balance and he falls to the ground face first. Mave grinds down on the hand holding the dagger with her booted foot and keeps the pointed rapier at the fallen man's back telling him him not to move again.

The other archer still on his platform takes aim at Mave standing over his brother-in-arms and fires: [1d20]=2. The arrow landing several feet from Mave. He curses and drops the bow, pulling a dagger from his belt as Reggie climbs over the lip of the platform. Bryne taking advantage of his distraction fires and catches the archer in the hip with an arrow. Bryne fires her arrow: [1d20]=14.

Athan runs around the ruined inn wall in time to see the axeman strike at Thena. Axeman's strike: [1d20]=5. After which all hear the twang of a crossbow firing from the darkness of the shadowed wall: [1d20]=1. The axeman has a distinct look of surprise on his face as his ally's bolt hits him square in the back, causing him to stagger forward into Thena. The bound man begins to laugh despite the gag in his mouth.

With a battle cry, the woman in chain rushes forward swinging her greatsword at Thena: [1d20]=19. The sword slashes a deep gash across Thena's chest and she drops. For a moment Wilwarin thinks her dead but then she hears the shallow breathing and knows she is merely unconscious, though seriously injured. The woman in chain turns her eyes to Wilwarin as Athan jumps between her the attackers. The bound man's laugh stops abruptly as he sees Thena fall.

The shaman completes his chant and for a moment you think the woman in chain's skin has turned to a sheen like steel. In northern, the man begins a prayer in words you do not understand.

Actions please!
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by The Bindoner »

Wilwayaisawén

Adopting the “fool” stance, with Nacquessë in both hands, held with point down, between her legs, ready for riposte or attack, Wilwayaisawén tells the woman who cut down Thena in cold, hard terms:

Prepare to become another ghost among the ashes.

Feinting forward, she sidesteps and, sweeping her sword around the woman’s guard, strikes.

To hit: [1d20]=19

Damage: [1d8]=6 +3 =9
edwardsobel
Strider
Strider

#89 Post by edwardsobel »

Reggie

Reaching the platform Reggie just glares at the archer before her dagger in his hand.
You really gonna fight me? With that? Do yerself a favor just jump now or i'm gonna throw ya off this platform. Your choice.

Reggie gives him a chance to save himself the embarrassment and just jump. But she is ready for a fight

ready action: if he moves to attack reggie, she gives him a jab to the face

Unarmed strike [1d20+5]=9+5=14, damage [1d3+4]=3+4=7
Nazard
Strider
Strider

#90 Post by Nazard »

Sir Athan:
Athan grimly steps up into the chain woman’s face. He activates his smite evil and swings Zenith in a wide arc.

Smite Evil with Zenith: [1d20+9]=5+9=14; damage (bypasses DR): [1d8+4]=6+4=10

His AC against this woman is now 20.
Sir Athan

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

Will take action when able.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#92 Post by Revenant »

The archer on the platform gives Reggie a look like she daft before moving in to strike with his dagger. But before he can do that she gives him a powerhouse strike directly into the face dropping him like a sack of potatoes. He lays on the platform unconscious, the dagger having fallen from his hand beside him.

Bryne seeing Reggie has things (literally) well in hand, nocks another arrow and starts after the others, rounding the wall in time to see her companions face the others.

At Wilwarin's words, the woman in chains sneers and replies, "Brennt barn forðast eldinn." She moves toward the elven magus and is ready to strike when Wilwarin's feinted strike catches her unprepared cutting deep into her side. She staggers back only to be met by Athan's smiting fury! Zenith slices through the air and also the woman's neck sending her head rolling back towards the shaman. You hear the thud as the woman's body drops to the ground before you. The little bird and the knight stand triumphant in the face of the axeman, who grimaces at the sight of them and the sudden appearance of both Zaella and Bryne. The axeman turns to run and you also see a small bearded man, the size of a tall child, leap from the shadowed corner of the ruined wall and dart into the forest, crossbow in hand.

The shaman finishes his prayer and the very ground seems to shake a moment before great gnarled roots erupt from the ground, in a forty foot radius, from where Athan and Wilwarin stand. (Athan and Wilwarin, please roll reflex saves.) The shaman strikes his heavy wooden staff to the ground once more and begins to pray again in a tongue you do not know.
Nazard
Strider
Strider

#93 Post by Nazard »

Sir Athan:

Reflex: [1d20+1]=1+1=2

Athan grimaces as the vines and roots ensnare him.
Sir Athan

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by The Bindoner »

Wilwayaisawén

As the axeman turns to flee, Wilwarin flicks the woman's blood from Nacquessë and springs after him.

When the ground splits to disgorge entwining roots at the Shaman’s prayer, she tries to leap over and between the questing stems and continue her pursuit, calling over her shoulder, exasperatedly, Will someone silence that dreary chanting?.

edwardsobel
Strider
Strider

#95 Post by edwardsobel »

Reggie

From the platform Reggie tries to see if she can get a clean shot at one of the bad guys with the bow the archer dropped.

She tries to make sure he remains on the platform in case he is still alive.

Bow shot [1d20+2]=14+2=16, damage [1d8]=1
Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#96 Post by Revenant »

As Bryne rounds the corner she aims the bow at the shaman as the roots rise. Unfortunately her shot embeds the arrow in one of the roots spoiling her shot.
From her vantage point on the platform, Reggie has a clear shot at those beyond the wall as she takes aim, she notes the axeman slip into the forest quickly followed by Wilwarin leaving only the shaman in her sights, she fires and hits him in the right hand the arrow point sprouting from his palm causing his spell to be interrupted. Howling with rage, the shaman begins to pray again in a loud grating voice. From behind her Reggie hears the sound of the archer regaining consciousness and starting to move.

Wilwarin rushes into the woods after the axeman, dots of blood spray on the ground make his path easy to follow. She follows him for several minutes until she comes upon him in a small clearing sitting on a felled tree stump. He grins, axes in both hands and says, "Little bird, you are becoming quite the nuisance. If Raffie hadn't been such a terrible shot, I'd be happy to pluck your feathers. But I'm not at my best thanks to that. What say, you and I come to an agreement? You fly back to your flock, and I'll just be on my way back to my homeland. Feel free to say you killed me. I promise to be no further hindrance to your group. And we can both be on our ways, perhaps wiser and healthier for it. I'll even give you a little boon as a thank you." He arches a dark brow, "Perhaps we can even part as friends."
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#97 Post by Darithe »

Mave:

Mave keeps the archer pinned to the ground with the point of her rapier. She hopes the other are alright but they aren't within her sight so she unsure. Thinking she better find out in case things have gone awry, she smacks the fallen archer on the back of the head with the hilt of her blade, hoping to knock him unconscious.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by The Bindoner »

Wilwayaisawén

Standing warily on the edge of the clearing, a sword and a half away from the axeman, with Nacquessë held in the “near ward” stance, point down and behind her, ready to swing up, Wilwayaisawén flicks her eyes around the surrounding woods, alert for ambush.

She has no qualms about killing one of a group who, it seemed, were about to sacrifice someone, but neither is she eager to do so. Here is an opportunity to learn something, and learning is one of her favourite things.

I doubt there can be friendship between us, but there may be peace. I will hear you.

Do not mistake this for weakness or hesitation, I have no doubt my skill will prevail over your simple aggression. I merely give you the chance to save yourself. A live honest man weighs the same as a dead liar to me, but your scale probably balances differently.

Let us start with whom you and your companions are, and what you were about in that place?
Zaella
Runner
Runner

#99 Post by Zaella »

Zaella

Zaella sees that the Shaman is wounded and decides to see if she can interrupt his spell.

Magic Missile [1d4]=2+1
Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#100 Post by Revenant »

Mave knocks the rogue unconscious with one savage knock with the hilt of her rapier and then quickly moves around the wall to see the sight of the others before her.

The roots holding Athan dissipate as the shaman's spell expires.

Zaella moves her delicate hands in a pattern as she intones the words that brings forth a magical arrow. It flies unerringly hitting the shaman square in the chest and he again fails to complete his prayer. Scowling at the elf he begins to chant again. Bryne seeing she is now joined by Mave, moves to tend to Thena's wounds, the woman applies a greenish salve to the sword cut. Thena feels a warmth envelope her starting first at the wound and flowing up her body, and after several moments regain consciousness.

The axeman before Wilwarin gives her a rakish grin, "You may call me Tarlen. Raffie and I were hired by the Finla and Stre, the woman and the shaman back there to lead them to the Wolf's lair. If you search a bit near where you found us, you'll find a trapdoor leading to the Ashes' cellar. Search a bit in the cellars and you'll find another path down there, where the northfolk were headed. Oh and that fellow that's tied up is one of the Nighthawks who we found tracking us. Now are we square little bird?"

Return to “Nocturne (2e)”