Interlude 7: Rolling in cash

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Interlude 7: Rolling in cash

#41 Post by kalstone »

Solaine bows low and says, "Thank you for seeing us again, Matriarch. We have another of our group who requires healing. Unfortunately, I do not have an answer to the question you have given to me." She will explain how the group found the mechanical oracle and asked the question about Termax, but got the response that its knowledge was limited to the first level.
barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#42 Post by barkman »

Randolpho, again, seeing the fine clothes the members of the clergy is wearing, realizes he needs to go shopping, and perhaps bathe, if he wishes to be taken seriously. He will hang back during the discussion, other than mentioning he is the only one in the party currently able to communicate with the statue.
Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#43 Post by Dogma »

Ranulf will give Audi a 25 gp bonus 'to go buy herself something pretty' and will spend some gold on a fancier set of clothes for himself too.

While in town and not involved in trading jewelry for gold etc, he'll be visiting the 'finer' establishments in town and doing some carousing.

If I remember right, we also have a magic sword, a magic brooch, and a magic want we need IDed.

Ranulf can look into that while the others get Quinn's leg healed up...
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by drpete »

I'll respond to other things a bit down the line, but magic items can either be brought to a sage (who might recognize them) or brought to a mage (who can magically investigate them) to figure out what they are.

When you say "finer" do you mean a 'high class" gambling den/brothel type place (as opposed to low class, or one without gambling, or...? :) )
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8
barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#45 Post by barkman »

Randolpho was going to talk to his mentor about identifying the objects when he got there.
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Zorroroaster »

After helping see Quinn to the healer, Torgyr heads off on his own, mumbling something about paying off some debts.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Stirling »

Quinn Coburg

"My Lady," Quinn is not sure on the formalities of greeting the head Matriarch, but addresses her as polite as he can bow slightly. "Sister Solaine testifies the truth, the Oracle speaks but his knowledge is limited. Though we found the surrounding rooms and denizens in turmoil. Unseen spirits are at work, they took possession of the mind and body of a watchman dwarf. We assisted his former comrades though at some cost to ourselves. I fear we just scratched the surface of what is happening inside."
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr meanders aimlessly around Adamas for a time, not really paying much attention to the sights and smells of the bustling city. His eyes are downcast, and he plods along muttering to himself.

"Stop avoiding it, you daft bastard. Get it done and you'll feel a whole lot better." He takes a shuddering breath and starts to slowly make his way to the dwarven quarter. After a while, he finds himself standing in front of the mercantile owned by his father's lifelong friend Baern. He takes another deep breath and enters.

Moving to the counter, he finds the big dwarf poring over what look like his accounts.

"Baern. Good. Ah, I guess this is good timing. Listen, I'm ashamed to say this but..." He pauses, searching for the words. "My da and I, we don't much agree on, well, anything really. The last time I saw him, there were hard words between us. Harder feelings, no doubt. Don't suppose he much wants this, but I think this is long overdue. I guess I've been putting it off, and no wonder. Here, this is a start. Tell him from me there's more where this came from."

Torgyr places a large sack of coins on the counter and slowly pushes it towards the other dwarf. His eyes remain downcast, and he waits for Baern to say something.

1000 gp deducted.
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by drpete »

The Matriarch greets you in a pleasant, business-like way, as if you were her agents, then sits, leaving you to stand. She nods, with some disappointment, at Solaine's report that the Oracle had no useful information about Turms. Her brow furrows, and she becomes worried at Quinn's report.
"I'm not surprised that Chaos is active in Dwimmermount. There is a great deal of power there, and that draws many things that want to make use of it. You say that you encountered dwarven watchmen? Are these dwarves that guard the exterior of the fortress, or residents of it? Did they have knowledge of the situation inside?"

She motions to an acolyte, a young woman near the door. She leaves, and returns with a pitcher of cool, clear water and a tray of fruit.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by drpete »

When Torgyr brings Baern the pile of money, Baern gives him a hard look, skeptical. Baern's eyes flick down to the sack, then back to Torgyr, searching for something. A silence hangs over the room. Outside, a large cart rolls by, laden with barrels.

As Torgyr looks back at Baern, he notices the familiar scarring on the dwarf's face, and the eyepatch, and remembers that the dwarf once adventured with Torgyr's father, and he often watched out for Torgyr when he was...younger, fresher, and still learning his trade.

"He's not here. He went to the Hearthstones, to see if Ghaz Droonan is safe. He does this every few years. It's never safe. He's obs... well, you know how he is, there's no telling him what's what, he's got to see it for himself."

Baern looks down at the bag. "You making something of yourself, finally? Where'd you find such a heavy sack of gold, young man?" Though Baern seems outwardly suspicious, Torgyr can sense a bit of warmth creeping into his voice.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr relaxes a little as Baern talks, beginning to settle back into the old ways. Rough questions for sure, but coming from a place of genuine concern. He brushes off a section of the counter with one hand, motes of dust hanging in the air.

"Dwimmermount. Guess I have the family gift for delving, at least. Been poking around there now for a while with some mates. Nearly gotten myself killed a few times, though others weren't so lucky." His voice trails off, hanging over the silence.

"Anyway. I think we're actually doing something... good, you know? There are dwarves there - deep brothers who guard the place, and they need our help. They don't mind us taking spoils as long as we leave the sacred stuff alone. I've got no problem with that."

Torgyr launches into a description of the vault and its guardian, his voice becoming more and more animated as he relives the tale for Baern. He remembers hearing similar stories from Baern and his father when they returned from their own exploits.

"So that's it. One of us is getting fixed up right now at the temple, another's probably dipping his wick into something that'll cost him more than money in the long run, and the others, well the others are just good folk. You'd be glad to have 'em at your back. I know I am."

He falls silent and waits for the other man to speak.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by drpete »

Baern nods slowly.

"Dwimmermount. I've heard rumblings of trouble there with the Custodians. Do you know, your father almost volunteered to become one? A long time ago, before you were born. He was looking for purpose in his life, something meaningful, and he almost made the commitment. He's always asking questions. Like you."

"Dwimmermount was home to the Makers. I think he hoped that in serving there, he would learn something. Something important, about ... well, about the Makers, I guess, but about Dwarves in general. Maybe you can do that. I think, if you want to earn his respect, find some of the secrets of the Makers, no?"

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr takes a moment to answer, clearly lost in thought.

"Volunteer? Da? I had no idea. He was always off on one expedition or another, he never told me. Or maybe I never thought to ask, eh? Funny that I learn these things from you. Of course, he and I were forever dancing around the real issues. Too much alike, I guess."

Torgyr looks Baern in the eye, making certain the older man understand.

"You tell him I'm there, would you? Tell him I'll return with more than just riches. I'll come back with knowledge."

He reaches across the counter and grips the man's arm.

"Thank you. You've always been good to me, and a friend to him. Be well. I'll see you when I return."
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Stirling »

Quinn

Is not too sure wether he should speak up or not, and how much to say."Several groups have entered the Dwimmermount though only Solaines' group have left. The Red Shields, a group of mages, orcs. Some kobolds nest in a cavern with spiders. We were cleaning them out when this possessed dwarf struck us. Broke my ribs and fractured my hip and leg bones. An evil spirit took his mind as he came up from the labyrinth below. His former comrades have asked for our aid when we return. They have 'sacred' sites within and feel these are threatened by the unrest.'.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by drpete »

The priestess listens, trying to make sense of the flood of words coming from Quinn about the horrors of Dwimmermount. Something in the description catches her attention.

"Spiders, you say...? And possession?"

"It is known by many that Turms Termax treated with demons. Few know that here, in Adamas, the cult of one such demon, Arach Nacha, Prince of Spiders, is growing in power. If this demon has gotten a foothold in Dwimmermount, that might explain this recent boldness by his followers. I hope that this is not true, but fear you have found something terrible. "

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by drpete »

Randolpho, you successfully buy some clothes.

Ranulf, are you looking for love, looking for adventure or just out to get drunk?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by drpete »

Baern grips Torgyr's arm, then pulls him into a hug. "Watch out for yourself. Here... wait, just a minute..."

He then goes to one of a few dozen little drawers behind him, and pulls out a thin chain, a necklace. A pendant hangs from it. As Baern passes it over to Torgyr, he sees that the pendant is actually a small magnifying glass. "I think he'd want you to have this... where you're going. It was his..."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Zorroroaster »

"What in the heavens...how? Torgyr's gaze fixes on the pendant, his expression softening as he lapses into reverie.

"We were sparring. Warhammer. I wasn't very good. Always forgetting to set my stance before swinging, always off balance. That day he was more impatient with me than usual. I too was getting frustrated with his constant hectoring. I swung, missed, stumbled. He decided to teach me a lesson... When I came to, I was flat on my back, blood in my eyes and mouth. I'm staring up at the roof of the cavern. His face hovering over mine, a strange mixture of anger and worry and...shame in his eyes. I know he regretted it. And this pendant, hanging down from his neck, swaying and sparkling in the torchlight. We didn't speak again for a long time, and it was strained ever after. I left the hold soon after that, to make my own way."

His fingers delicately reach out to touch the pendant. He looks at Baern. "Perhaps it's time I went home. Made peace."

He takes the chain from the older man and carefully puts it around his neck, one hand lingering on the charm. His voice thickens. "Be well, my friend."
barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#59 Post by barkman »

After getting cleaned up and dressed in his new clothes. Randolpho will make arrangements to visit his mentor.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by drpete »

Randolpho goes off to find his mentor, Janus. The last time you visited, Janus was not happy to see you, and kept you prisoner whole he interrogated you about the scarab. It's my impression that you want to bring him some other magic items...? Which items would you like to bring, and how do you want to approach it?

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”