Chapter 5 > Neverwinter...In Search Of...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 5 > Neverwinter...In Search Of...

#41 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Suspicious and wary, Ioriston follows cautiously at the tail end of the party.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)
coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan gulps and stares ahead intently at hearing the druid's explanation. He had thought the guard was simply trying to scare the party but now he's being told that the shapeshifting is real. So how much of the other talk was real? Coming to the city is getting worse and worse. His eyes dart around as he tries to spot any movement around them.
Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#43 Post by Dogma »

Gerland

Gerland ambles amicably along with the others, content to follow the other;s lead for the moment.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by hedgeknight »

The guards near the middle of the bridge turn toward you as you approach, but once within about twenty feet, the guards step aside and allow you to go past.
"Good luck, asswipes!" calls out one of the guards, a rough-looking fellow with greasy black hair. "I got 10 gold on ya not ever coming back!"
He laughs and the other guards join in heartily.

But then you are by them and carrying on toward the opposite side. You wish you could stop and look at the churning river below; you can feel the warm vapors off of it as you walk across.
As you approach the guards at the end of the bridge, the captain of the guards, just shakes his head, spits over the side of the bridge, and then takes a small round metal tin from inside his coat. Opening it, he reaches inside, then stuffs a pinch of snuff inside his lower lip.
"Keep walking," he growls, snuff powder puffing up in his face. The other guards step aside, some giving you firm nods of hope, the others looking away.

And then, you find yourselves on the opposite bank of the river, staring at the ruins of Castle Never. Is that wind blowing through the deserted halls and towers...or is it the cry of the restless dead?
Which way did Hank say to go?
Winter is coming...
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#45 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton

It was said that the druids are on the far side of the lake. Do we want to go around to the north or the south? I think taking the shortest path there would be in our best interest.

I don't suppose master Ioriston has any magic that would hide or disguise our entire group so we can travel unmolested?

I don't like the sound of monsters roaming the streets in broad daylight but, we did come here for a propose. The sooner we find these druids, the sooner we get out of this part of town.

Hedge, does Kelton have any recollection as to where this House of a Thousand Faces is located?
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#46 Post by Jack »

Uilon points to the northeast, "Around the south side of Blacklake is the shortest path, tho I don't know if that's the safest."

Uilon's Wanderer feature means he'll be able to easily find the grove's trees (east of Blacklake) he saw from the hillside outside the city. He doesn't know that the House of a Thousand Faces is what's directly between them and the grove.
wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by wordoftheoracle »

I have nothing arcane to conceal us, but I do have confidence in our abilities as long as our Druid friend can find our destination expeditiously. I do not recall ever being abused as such by the guards of any other city. I had every intention to make them regret their disrespect, but it seems that opportunity is past. I had some choice incantations that would have cowed those sniveling cowards.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#48 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan has his bow at the ready and keeps careful watch on all sides for danger. Wouldn't it be a shame if something came up behind them and he had to fire with the risk of hitting the guards, he thinks grimly. Their smug, casual derision reminds him all too much of the abusive tyranny he grew up in and his hands tighten on the bow.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by hedgeknight »

Uilon's confidence and Kelton's leadership bolsters the group as they skirt the ruins of Castle Never and enter the Blacklake district. They pass the ruined Dolphin bridge and continue onward, bearing to the right. Kelton is pretty sure he remembers the House of a Thousand Faces is located just a block or so ahead.
As the group travels along the road, townsfolk are seen moving along quickly, casting furtive glances toward the group, never stopping or even muttering a "well met" in greeting. Within a few minutes, the group passes a walled manor house on their right, and then Kelton spots the House of a Thousand Faces just a few yards beyond it. The large house has several broad windows through which patrons can be seen at tables amid mannequins dressed in thread-bare clothing.
"This place used to be a fashionable boutique, but the cataclysm crippled business and the owner closed the doors...only to reopen after the city began to recover from the devastation." Kelton says as you walk near the tavern. Through the doors and walls comes the sounds of patrons eating and drinking.

You can also smell the stagnant water of the Blacklake from this point...meaning it can't be too far ahead. This also means, the druid's grove is very close as well.

Do you enter the House or continue on for the grove?
Winter is coming...
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#50 Post by Jack »

The name of the boutique reminds Uilon of something one of the druids in the Misty Forest called "Thousand Forms". She'd change her appearance to one of the initiates', and then wake them up looking just like them.

I was much funnier seeing it happen to someone else tho.

Uilon will follow Kelton or the groups lead on either going into the "House of a Thousand Faces", or to the grove.
wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston doesn't feel comfortable in this place. He doesn't have much information and that makes him feel even less comfortable. He will quietly follow the lead of those more familiar with this place than he.
PC History:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#52 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton

Since we are obviously close to our destination here, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to drop in and ask the locals what might be found around the lake?

The fighter leads the party to the doors of the tavern, trying to spot any familiar faces. If there are no arguments, he heads inside to question the proprietor.
coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

He nods at the idea but says nothing. An eye is cast to see if anyone seems interested that they are stopping in here before they go in. Following inside he stays right by the door and surveys the room.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by hedgeknight »

Entering the House of a Thousand Faces, you immediately notice how odd it is to have tables with guests interspersed with the faceless mannequins wearing tattered clothing. Mirrors are also used to cordon off areas for private parties and meetings. Despite the rumors of the district, the place is quite full. An attractive woman greets you as you enter.
theryis.jpg
theryis.jpg (32.14 KiB) Viewed 382 times
"Well met, travelers. I am Theryis. I have one open table, right over here."
She walks you to a table near a window on the northern side of the tavern. From its view you can see the road winding toward the Blacklake.
"What brings you to Neverwinter? I don't recall seeing you in my place before."
Winter is coming...
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#55 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton

Whats that? Oh! Hey. How are you. Yes?

I mean......no, I have never been in here before, although I am from Winternever.

The young man stops while he is behind, hoping that one of the others will bail him out, asking about the druids.
He is usually much better at this sort of thing. :lol:
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#56 Post by Jack »

Uilon sits down at the table, nods a thanks, looks north-east, and then turns back towards Theryis, "Hank the bridge guard said we could trust you."

He switches to Elvish, "We're looking for Haeredeth - the messenger of the circle of the land druids for this area. Do you know if she's still at the grove east of Blacklake?"
coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Bewildered, the young man awkwardly transitions from a paranoid perch just inside the door to a casual stroll to the table with his companions. What are all these people doing here? And what is with all the creepy mannequins and mirrors? After everything they have just heard of this area, this was like finding a debutante's ball in full swing at the bottom of a cave. What's next? When we find the druids, they'll be performing a musical- I just know it.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by hedgeknight »

Theryis smiles at Kelton's awkwardness...which only makes the warrior blush all the more.
Uilon bails him out by asking, in Elvish, about the druids. "We're looking for Haeredeth - the messenger of the circle of the land druids for this area. Do you know if she's still at the grove east of Blacklake?"

Theryis cocks an eyebrow in mild surprise and then replies, in Elvish, pitching her voice low, "Yes...the grove is still east of Blacklake...and it's spreading. It is said Haeredeth has lost her mind, and in doing so, has made it her personal mission to extend the grove as far as she and her acolytes can. She has abandoned the faith of the Oak Father and is now worships some elemental god. Tell me you are not planning to go there."

Ioriston interprets for Kelton and Aslaan as needed.

"What do you want to drink?" Theryis asks. "Anything from the kitchen? We have roasted chicken with mushrooms and creamed buttery potatoes, served with black bread and butter, and we have baked salmon cakes with chips and slaw, served with corn bread and white wine. Oh, and the soup of the day is tomato basil with toasted brie biscuits."
Winter is coming...
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#59 Post by Jack »

Uilon is surprised by her mention of Haeredeth worshiping an elemental god. In Elvish he replies, "That is strange.

As for losing her mind, well... civilized people oftentimes think druids to be mad, but never think of their own ecophagic behavior as mad."

He's suspicious - can he figure out if she's telling the truth about what she's heard?

In Common he says, "Just water for me and the horses outside please."

He turns to the party, "I have to see for myself about this claim of Haeredeth's elemental favor, and if not true, then tell her what happened in Thundertree."

Edit: rephrased and unquoted "mad", rewrote question about suspicions, asked for water for the horses.
coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by coil23 »

All this talk of animal shapeshifting...Um, we're approaching from downwind, yes?

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”