Third Expedition

bitflipr
Strider
Strider

Re: Third Expedition

#41 Post by bitflipr »

Morgan is going to proceed, with torch in hand, further east to make out what can be seen beyond Pikar's torchlight. He's not going to go beyond visible distance nor beyond the northern passage.

Leopold and the dwarves will stay back at the archway with the rest.
Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#42 Post by Raven Crowking »

Brave, brave Morgan!

Going as far as the northern passage, Morgan can see that it proceeds north for about 20 feet before terminating in a door.

Immediately thereafter, there is a door to the south. Beyond that, a passage to the north. Beyond that, a door to both the north and the south, and the passage continues beyond the light of Morgan's torch.

All seems quiet.

Then, from the darkness to the east, two skeletal figures in hooded robes emerge. They trail bits of viscera behind them as they emerge into the light.
bitflipr
Strider
Strider

#43 Post by bitflipr »

Morgan will back up and retreat to the others at the archway while saying "The undead have already sensed our presence - two approach from the east."

My characters will wait back with the group in hopes that those with ranged attacks can soften up the approaching menace.
beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#44 Post by beermotor »

When Morgan comes scurrying back, Grim calls out to the rest. "He says the dead come walking this way! Come, hold the archway, lads!"

Pikar waves his torch, intending to try to light the things if they get close.

Daryll will run up and position himself about 10' from Grim... not too close.

Cisneros will stand close to the rope, although he's unsure how fast he'd be able to climb it.
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9
Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by Raven Crowking »

I'm going to need some Initiative rolls with those actions.

It may well be that the un-dead catch Morgan before he can scurry back.......
bitflipr
Strider
Strider

#46 Post by bitflipr »

Initiative = 18

I just rolled it once for my group without any modifiers. Let me know if that is sufficient.

Turq is going to put the chest he's holding down and pull out his chisel. Murq will have his blacksmith hammer ready. Both the dwarves will form a front line, with Leopold behind them if he can swing his sword overtop of the dwarves short height. I'm not sure where they'll be relative to everyone else, but if there is room in the front ranks they'll be there. If the skeletons come into range they'll attack. If Morgan makes it back, he'll retreat to behind the lines.

Turq
Attack = Natural 1
Potential Damage = 1
Fumble = 1 + 1 = 2
(edit) Adding my Reflex save if necessary = Natural 1

Murq
Attack = 11
Potential Damage = 3

Leopold
Attack = 4
Potential Damage = 11
beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#47 Post by beermotor »

[Edit: I rolled a 17 for my goons, +1 initiative bonus = 18.]

Attacks:
Grim: 11 (hammer, d4)
Pikar: 13 (torch, d4?; fire, d6? [hopefully])

If you want you can roll damage as appropriate.
Last edited by beermotor on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#48 Post by Dumnbunny »

[Rolled a 19 for player initiative.]

The front line at the archway looks to be crowded with brave warriors; Dugar stands behind one of the dwarves, loosing an arrow at the skeletal figures when then draw close [17 - 1 = 16 atk/6 - 1 = 5 dmg]. Jedak and Loden will jockey around, see if they can find a spot to stand and attack the figures with pitchfork and shovel, possibly behind the other dwarf [Jedak: 14/4, Loden: 4/not bothering with dmg]. If they can't find a spot, they'll watch the battle closely, ready to pull a fallen comrade back and take their place.

Sigur shuffles nervously around the back ranks, unsure of what to do.
Jed [AC: 14, HP: 9/10, Deity Disapproval: 1-2], Murq [AC: 13, 8/8]
caveman
Guide
Guide

#49 Post by caveman »

Milner slides down the rope and hurries to catch up. When he sees the cowled skeletons, he cries, "fire!" and prepares the wick of an oil flask in order to lob it forward over the frontline.
Knave: Cedric the Defrauded Outlaw
Level 1 HP 8 Armor Defense 12
Str 11 Dex 11 Con 13 Int 13 Wis 14 Cha 12
(sinewy broken-faced but rosy cheeked, oily pompador, frayed tunic, courteous manner, but irascible tendencies, and squeaky voiced)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13hM ... sp=sharing
Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#50 Post by Raven Crowking »

Morgan backs up to the archway while saying "The undead have already sensed our presence - two approach from the east."

Grim calls out: "He says the dead come walking this way! Come, hold the archway, lads!"

Turq puts down the chest he's holding and pulls out his chisel. Murq, with his blacksmith's hammer ready, forms a front line, with Leopold behind them. There is a 10-foot wide arch, and up to three can fight abreast, but Leopold hopes to swing his sword overtop of the dwarves short height. Turq's putting down (rather than dropping) his chest uses his Action Die for this round.

Grim, Turq, and Murq are holding the archway.

Pikar waves his torch, and Daryll runs up about 10' from Grim, while Cisneros stands close to the rope. He sees Milner at the top, but starting his way down, yelling "Fire!" as he goes.

Dugar stands behind one of the dwarves, loosing an arrow at the skeletal figures when then draw close, and gains the first palpable hit!

The un-dead creatures move forward, clawed finger-bones outstretched. As the near the group, Grim tries to strike one with his hammer, but fails. Pikar's torch, waved over the heads of the dwarves, likewise does not come near. Leopold and Murq's attacks also missed....and it is surely a point of Luck that Turq has no other action this round!

The un-dead things then attack two of the front-rank stalwarts -- Turq and Leopold. Against Turq, a 12 + 2 = 14 causes 6 points of damage! The thing cackles hideously over the fallen dwarf....however, making room for another to step to the front and attack. Jedak steps in with his pitchfork, but his attack merely rips through the tattered robes, for these creatures seem to be protected by powerful spells.

The other thing attacks Leopold, rolling a natural 20, doing 5 points of damage. As the hapless victim falls, the cold touch of un-death spreads across the wound, causing 3 more points of damage, and Leopold's teeth keep chattering even as death takes him.

Loden now has space to move in, and since his initiative is highest, he makes his attack and misses.

At this point, Milner reaches the ground, and the first round ends.
beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#51 Post by beermotor »

"By the Gods!" Grim says. "Get that torch on it, Pikar!" [Incidentally, what's the Gods situation for dwarves? He'll holler out something race-appropriate.]
Pikar will throw his torch at the thing in front of Grim. Then he backs up 20' and gets ready to pull out his shovel next round. He rolls: 18+1=19 to hit, then burns 3 Luck (dropping him to 9) for extra damage... assuming d4 from club, d6 from fire, that's 2 + 4(fire) + 3 Luck, 9 total and hopefully it lights up like a Yule tree. [Edit, forgot penalty on damage so -1 from the impact of the thrown club, I suppose... 8 damage total then.]

Grim will swing his hammer at the thing if it's still up, or at the other if required. He rolls: 6.

Daryll will try to reach between the legs of the fighters holding the line and pull the body of Leopold away from the things, unsure if he's dead or what.

Cisneros relays what he sees to Milner as he comes down the rope, and gets prepared to scurry up it if necessary.

Edit: initiative: 7+1=8.
Last edited by beermotor on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bitflipr
Strider
Strider

#52 Post by bitflipr »

Are we rolling initiative every round or every encounter?
Initiative = 4

Murq will shout a cry of anger "My brother shall be avenged!". He lunges at the skeletal figure that downed Turq.
Attack = 10 + 1 + 5 (burned luck) = 16
Potential Damage = 4

Morgan is going to stay back.
Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by Raven Crowking »

I prefer rolling initiative each round.
Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#54 Post by Dumnbunny »

[Initiative 7]

Milner slides down the rope and hurries to catch up. When he sees the cowled skeletons, he cries, "fire!"

Loden and Jedak hearing Milner's shout will try to keep the undead fiends at bay while others bring torches forward. They'll attack if they get a chance beforehand [Jedak: Atk 5, Dmg 1][Loden: Atk 3, Dmg 1][OOC: Wow]

Sigur and Dugar hearing Milner's shout will drop their weapons, grab a torch and look for another from which to get a light.
beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#55 Post by beermotor »

[Initiative is gonna be a problem this round... :) ]

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by Raven Crowking »

@beermotor: I'm easy about the dwarves' situation with the gods for the nonce. Once I start my Shanthopal campaign, my goal is to have various worlds have conduits to the city. Thus, a group that I've started in the excellent Sunken City adventures, and another group of PCs that has experienced the Attack of the Frawgs will meet together one day! On that day, it may well turn out that the situations on various worlds are unique to those worlds!

"By the Gods!" Grim says. "Get that torch on it, Pikar!"

Pikar will throw his torch at the thing in front of Grim, then backs up 20'. The flame hits, liting the un-dead thing in a rather good impression of a Yule fire. It takes 8 points of damage, and hisses in pain, but remains standing.

Grim swings his hammer and misses.

Daryll tries to recover the body of Leopold, but there is too much happening, and not enough space to do it in.

Cisneros relays what he sees to Milner as he comes down the rope, and gets prepared to scurry up it if necessary.

As Milner cries, "fire!" the un-dead creatures act.

Even as Loden and Jedak make futile attacks, one of the un-dead tries, unsuccessfully, to put out the flames that are consuming it. The other attacks Loden, striking with a 15 total roll, and doing 4 points of damage.

Sigur and Dugar drop their weapons, grab a torch and look for another from which to get a light.

Murq shouts a cry of anger "My brother shall be avenged!". He lunges at the skeletal figure that downed Turq. His hammer cracks the thing's skull, shattering it to pieces. The un-dead falls soundless to the ground, even as the creature beside it burns.

(At the start of the next round, the fire will destroy the un-dead.)

Everyone mentioned in the posts related to this encounter may have 3 XP.

Murq, sorry for your loss. The gods smile down at your sacrifice, though, and restore 1 point of Luck.

Please note that I will be a bit slower posting for the next couple of days, but should be back to normal on Friday or so.
bitflipr
Strider
Strider

#57 Post by bitflipr »

Initiative: 12

Murq will launch himself at the remaining skeleton and swing his hammer again.
Attack = 2 + 1 = 3
Potential Damage = 4

Morgan will attempt to slip past the front lines and look down the northern passage just east past the archway.
Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#58 Post by Dumnbunny »

[Not sure if needed, but just in case: Initiative 11]

Jedak rubs absently at something on his face, unable to take his eyes off the corpses around him. He looks at his hand and sees blood; he doesn't know if it's Loden's or a dwarf's, but he's glad it isn't his. Dugar will abandon his plan to light a torch, instead recovering his bow and his fired arrow [flipped a coin]. Sigur continues to seek a light, while also recovering and sheathing his dagger. Loden rapidly cools, not doing much else.
beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#59 Post by beermotor »

Initiative: 4 + 1 = 5.

Seeing that the thing is burning to a crisp, Grim will go full-defense and just use his shield to make sure the thing doesn't get close to him. If he can do it without incurring a free attack from the thing, he'll back away from the archway. "Stand back! Let it burn!"

Pikar hollers to Daryll. "Come light another torch for me!"

Daryll leaves off trying to recover the corpse and sprints to Pikar, and begins knocking his flint and steel together to try to light the dwarf's torch.

Cisneros cautiously moves closer to Pikar and Daryll.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#60 Post by Raven Crowking »

As far as you can tell, both skeletal things are dead. The area seems quiet apart from the sound of one creature burning, and the sound of Leopold's teeth, still chattering even in death.

Milner looks about him, then shakes his head. "Not again," he says, then climbs the rope again. (work has cut into caveman's time for the nonce.)

Looking down the first northern passage, Morgan sees 20 feet of passage, terminating in a door.

Return to “DCC RPG Barrowmaze”