Weapon proficiencies - can be
  • light melee
  • heavy melee
  • ranged
    or
  • cutting swords
  • axes (also incl. halberds)
  • clubs and maces
  • polearms (also incl. staffs and spears)
  • daggers and rapiers
  • bows
  • slings
Heavy weapons - do +1 extra damage most of the time, but not in tight spaces (unless you'll roll disadvantaged trying to make the big swing).

Healing / "just a scratch" - until you get down to your last 2 hp, the injuries are "just a scratch" and go away before next combat. 2 hp or below requires a full rest to recover. 0 hit points means disabled, less than 0 means dead.

Shields - once per round, a shield carrier may test [1d6] to avert a successful attack, even if they didn't Evade in that round. This stacks with the Shield-bearer trait, which gives a bonus to Evade rolls.
Last edited by tibbius on Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Squid
Tracker
Tracker

Re: House rules

#2 Post by Squid »

I have a question for you regarding your house rule of counting successes to deal damage. How does that work with heavy melee weapons which inflict 2 points of damage? Is it possible to inflict 6 points of damage with 3 successes?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by tibbius »

As we discussed elsewhere, let's modify heavy weapons so that instead of dealing 2 damage per success they deal +1 damage - so 2 on 1 success, 3 on 2 successes, 4 on 3 successes. Applying this uniformly across all combatants means that nobody using normal weapons could one-hit a typical human.

Edited house rules first post.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by tibbius »

Going back to game designer's current damage and attack rules: 1 point for any number of successes with light weapon, 2 points for any number of successes with heavy weapon, light weapons you can use both your actions to attack, heavy weapons you can use only one of your two actions to attack.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by tibbius »

Positioning zones are Close, Near, Far, - and Distant - ... one move to change zones relative to an opponent or ally.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by tibbius »

Critical Hits Tables adapted from Warlock!

Use when successful Save after reduced to 0 hp or less.

Critical - Slashing
1 Flat of the blade across the skull, dazed, all actions at disadvantage for 1d6 rounds. Double vision for 1d6 days.
2 Slashed on the hip, fall over and can only crawl in the dirt for 1d6 rounds, all tests that can be made are at disadvantage.
3 Cut on thigh, can only hobble for 1d3 days, relevant tests at disadvantage, get healed and make a Save to not end up with a permanent limp.
4 That was my foot! Can only hobble for 1d6 days, relevant tests at disadvantage until healed.
5 Slash on the back, opening muscles, can't carry a pack for 1d6 days, relevant tests at disadvantage until healed.
6 Hacked in the shoulder! Determine which arm, tests involving that arm are at disadvantage for 1d6 days.

Critical - Piercing
1 A jab in the forearm, make a Save to keep hold of your weapon.
2 A skewered rump! Very painful, all tests at disadvantage for the next 1d6 rounds.
3 A prod in the guts, forces dinner up and over everyone. Spend 1d6 rounds retching, no actions. Fatal within 1d6 days unless healed.
4 Poked in the neck, can do nothing but gasp for breath for 1d3 rounds. Save or suffer a permanently raspy voice.
5 Run through the shoulder, arm useless for 1d6 days.
6 Through my hand! Hand a useless claw until healed.

Critical - Crushing
1 A rap on the skull sends teeth chattering, dazed and all tests at disadvantage for 1d6 rounds.
2 Foot crushed, hop around in agony as only action for 1d6 rounds.
3 Dead leg, all tests involving movement at disadvantage for 1d6 hours.
4 A whack in the guts, winded and wheezing, no actions and attackers get advantage for 1d6 rounds.
5 Hand crushed, determine which one (dominant/non-dominant). Can't use hand for 1d6 days.
6 Thumped on the temples and seeing stars! Unconscious for remainder of scene.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Traversing Tiny Dungeons (Tiny Dungeon)”