Chapter 5: Nameless Things

Inferno
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 5: Nameless Things

#341 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin rests against a column as he tells the others the informtion.

The dark one knows where we are, but we have to decide. Do we leave the orb here, or do we bag it and take in the gandalf? perhaps he could use it against the dark one. its magic is powerful
Last edited by wolfpack on Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

"If we take it with us, won't the Dark Lord know our every move? He'll track us through it, eh?" Gilly says, examining the head of her new pick. The craftsmanship is flawless. Definitely Dwarf made, she thinks to herself.
Winter is coming...

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#343 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

I vote we take it to Gandalf. We'll feel foolish if we get back without it and are told that was the weapon he sent us to get.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin agrees with his brothers conclusion, "aye, it must indeed be powerful to lie in such a place as this. We should pack it away and let Gandalf guide us on this ancient wizardry..."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by Urson »

Therone

I am a warrior, and I know nothing of magic- but is there any way to break the connection between the Dakr One and this..device?
FA FO

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by Starbeard »

Vindoboduoc

"It appears to be activated only when touched. If we swathe it and keep it hidden, then we might be safe delivering it to this "Gandalf" of yours, free of the Dark Lord's gaze. Yet I doubt he will delay in dragging a net of spies across this accursed forest, knowing now that we are here. We have to flee now, and our known exit is being watched; we will have to find another way out, perhaps heading south along the corridor we came up."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#347 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco doesn't hear the kind words from his friends initially, but when he figures out they are talking about him, he nearly swoons with pride.

"I agree that we need to leave this place here and now. If there is a secret way out, Mr. Vindoboduoc and I will surely find it."

"And I also agree that we should take the orb, in case we ever find Gandalf again, though it needs to be kept well covered and hidden from sight."

The hobbit gets to work immediately, searching the walls of the room for any hidden exits.

"Perhaps there is another path out of here in one of the rooms we haven't been through yet?"

If nothing is found, the tiny thief heads back towards the secret dwarf door.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by Starbeard »

Vindo will help search the room for hidden exits. "The tapestries in the last room might be useful in covering the orb."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, The Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 23, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Five. Midday. Cloudy, damp, cold

The dread horror of Sauron lingers in Elbenwin's mind. He knows who and where the Company are!

Nearby, Naruthirdor examines the rest of the fabled artifacts of the First Age.

Keen of eye and sure of fingers, Folco and Vindo find a secret door within the walls of the ElvenKing's treasure vaults! Finding no dangers lurking, they carefully open it and discover a secret passage cut through the rock of the Mountains of Mirkwood!

The seeing stone safely cloaked in cloth, the Company cautiously follows the winding shaft by torchlight.

After some time they are completely confused as to which direction they are traveling. With all due care, they pass through another stone door into a cavern that stinks of orc.

When the door shuts behind them, it becomes invisible to their eyes!

They spy a light that grows brighter with every step through deepening puddles until they reach a cave mouth filled with daylight! The Company carefully peer outside and their hearts fall.

They've returned to the dread vale (at I) to find the ravine floor filled with Uruk-hai and orcs without number, roiling like ants, ready for war, watching the riven gate of the lost ElvenHalls (at K)!

The as yet unseen heroes had sorely underestimated the orc forces that remained here. The partial cover of Mirkwood's thick canopy and the overcast skies prove shield enough from the hated sun.

Staggered, the Company cannot see victory through strength of arms even with their new-gotten treasures.

Alas! All is lost!

Then suddenly gigantic shapes fill the sky beyond the trees! The heroes were not entirely unseen after all.

The eagles are coming! The eagles are coming!

Where the Mountains of Mirkwood pierce the forest roof, vast birds of prey soar down from above, hurtling toward the Company, sending the orc forces in the vale scattering in terror!

"To us! To us!" the giant eagles cry to the Company in the common tongue of Men!

Actions?!

Ravine Map:

The Company is at I. The ElvenHall Gates are at K. The Eagles are directly above I.
The floor of the Ravine, and the slope beneath K, are filled with fleeing orcs and Uruks.

Wilderland Map:
Dotted red line marks the Company's journey.

PC Status:
Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 29/34
Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 29/34
Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 11/21
Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 26/41, Torch
Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/34
Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 13/13, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 7/8, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl, Torch
Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 11/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 16/31, Torches
Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 12/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/19, Torch
Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 9/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by Starbeard »

Vindoboduoc

Vindo volunteers to carry the orb in his pack. Once outside, he points to the eagles and cries, "The eagles are here! To the eagles, friends!"
The Wild Man rushes along the draw of the ravine toward their avian saviors.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by Rex »

Rumil

Rumil moves quickly to position himself where an eagle can get a grip on him.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin moves in position for the eagles watching behind the company to make sure no unseen enemies surprise them

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"This is Mithrandir's doing."

Gilwennen will ready herself to be snatched from the ground and carried or to leap onto an eagles back as needed, exhibiting all the respect one can in such a situation.

Old Duergar
Tracker
Tracker

#354 Post by Old Duergar »

Naruthirdor

"At long last... a break of good luck! Twain blessed, if you count the good Ranger's will being unbroken despite the horrors of facing the Dark Lord's iron will! If not for it, we would have been done for at the stinking paws of that foul host!", the Elf exhales with relief. His face darkens for a moment: "Despite those amazing artefacts uncovered, we still remain in the dark... I regret not having the chance to peruse the ElvenKing's study.".

He would then move towards the Eagles' direction, gawking in amazement at the great beasts, covered by their soaring shadows and letting out a sharp cry in Sindarin: "Thoronath! The Eagles! There, our salvation lies at hand!"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone doesn't spare a backward glance at the Ork-kin in the valley. She laughs in triumph and sprints for the Eagles.
FA FO

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#356 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen smiles at the sight of the majestic eagles. She runs toward them, ready to fly.

Can Tinuwen carry two bows? If not, she would have left Baudhring in the hidden treasure chamber, hoping to retrieve it after Smaug is slain and return it to the elf king.
Similarly with her longsword.

Sorry again for my delays in posting!!!
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin looks grimly across the valley. He keeps an eye on his brother after his brush with such evil. He too stands ready for a hopeful flight out!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

Gilly doesn't like the thought of running away from the Orcs and Uruks. But...it seems her companions think it's a good idea, so she whistles for Red and hurries along toward the eagles.
"What are we supposed ta do once we reach 'em? How do we know they ain't gonna eat us?"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#359 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco seems to be in a bewildered state once the fellowship breaks out into the open again, his heart dropping as he tries to count the throng of orcs below.

When he hears that the eagles are coming, he stares at the majestic animals nearly dumbfounded.

"Well now you've gone and done it, fool of a Boffin. I never thought that the stories told of such things were ever really true, but here we are."

The usually stoic hobbit seems almost afraid to become an unwilling passenger, as if the fate of facing the indomitable enemy below might not be so bad. He slowly moves out into the open with the others, watching how they proceed before working up the courage himself.

"Are we certain this is at all safe? Flying above the trees so high? What would happen if we were to..... AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!" He exclaims as he is lifted from the safety of the perfectly good solid ground.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#360 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Accustomed to being below ground, the dwarf is leery of being way above ground, but, knowing he can't defeat the horde on his own, grudgingly accepts a ride from the eagles. It just ain't natural, he mutters.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”