Quest #27 "Detecting Snares and Pits"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #27 "Detecting Snares and Pits"

#281 Post by hedgeknight »

Fitz just keeps running, head down, looking at the trail and Dexter just a foot or so ahead of him.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#282 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Night Questing In The Jungle
Sunday, 21st of Goodmonth
Early Evening, Hot, Humid, Very Buggy

As the light of day continues to fade, the stubborn dwarf agrees with his friends suggestions to leave the area. While Fitz and Dexter continue high tailing it away from the stinking bug, Max and Narramore turn to make sure the dwarf is still following.

Draakar is about to turn to follow his friends again when the bug who he thought was about to return to its friends, instead lets loose a wide spray of acidic juice at him from some pointy appendage under its backside. The acid disperses into the air, but not before splashing the dwarf on the side of his face and body as he turns to flee. Now turned in the direction of his friends, who see the poor soul's face begin to dissolve right in front of them, the dwarf lets out a loud howl as the juice starts to dissolve his skin away, causing him serious burns. The pain is enough to bring the poor bastard to his knees, where he gazes at the pair in front of him with a look of unbridled pain and fear painted across his bubbling face. 5 dam

"Dont leave me ta die out here with these damn bu.......", is all he manages to let out before faceplanting into the dirt, just a few feet behind the paladin.

Actions?

Sir William Narramore 9/12 LOH
Cornelius Fitzenbell 5/8 1/1 RM, DI
Drakkar Deepcrag -1/11 (Unconscious)
Dexter Broadleaf 12/15
Maximus Fleetfoot 5/8 (C) 0/2 (MU) 1/1 CL, DM, RM

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#283 Post by SirOwen »

Dexter Broadleaf

"Shite!" exclaims Dexter, pulling up short. "Fitz, hold up. Let's see if they can handle Drakkar. They might need help. Sir William, can you carry him?"
"There is no spoon."

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#284 Post by Darklin2 »

Max

Max hearing Drakkar yell out turns.

Narramore Wait for my spell.

With that he throws a pinch of Sand in the air and begins to chant.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, Deep Breath, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, Deep Breath, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, Deep Breath, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, Deep Breath, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, Deep Breath ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, Deep Breath, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. ( Casting Sleep spell on bug.)( Might work Might not. Worth a try.)
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#285 Post by Paladin »

Sir William Narramore

Thr knight growls his frustration and hangs back a moment to avoid being caught in the sleep spell, then dodges in to grab Drakkar whether or not the spell takes hold. He sends a prayer skyward as he does so, asking for healing for his companion and moving as quickly as possible back down the path (If I can LOH like this, I will).

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#286 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Early Evening, Hot, Humid, Very Buggy

Before Fitz can even respond to Dex, Max uses his magic to put the big bug to sleep. Though it is difficult to tell if the spell affects the insect, since it doesn't drop to the ground when it sleeps like most other things would, Narramore moves in all the same. The paladin heals the dwarfs worst wounds with the touch of his strong hand, allowing him to come back to the world of the living, barely.

When the bug doesn't move again, and the others don't seem interested in leaving their free meal, the pair rush away from the dangerous acid shooting beetle to catch back up to the halfling and gnome further down the trail. Escaping the worst of the danger for now, Drakkar keeps poking at the bubbling skin covering the right side of his face. "Sorry fellers. That was stupid of me wernt it? Thanks fer savin me big guy."

Looking up at the failing light, the group predicts they have at least 6 or 7 hours of hiking before they reach the safety of Beachtown again.

Actions?

Sir William Narramore 9/12 LOH
Cornelius Fitzenbell 5/8 1/1 RM, DI
Drakkar Deepcrag 1/11
Dexter Broadleaf 12/15
Maximus Fleetfoot 5/8 (C) 0/2 (MU) 0/1 CL, DM, RM
Sleep:4

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#287 Post by Paladin »

I made an uh-oh on my timing here. I was reading the time of day in the post headings and saw it was listed as mid-morning when we left Beachtown and mid-morning when we hit the snake. So my little brain thinks we'll make it home shortly after dark.

Then I re-read the text of the posts and recalled that it took about 5 hours to make that trek in daylight. :lol: So...2am? Maybe? Sigh. Now I feel doubly stupid for pushing ahead. That'll teach me to read more carefully.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#288 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dont worry. I'm sure it's perfectly safe to travel out here in the dark. :twisted:

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#289 Post by SirOwen »

Dexter Broadleaf

Dex considers their options. "We're kind of pickled up, as my Uncle Ferd would have said. Drakkar can barely walk, but with those burns, he needs water now more than ever." He looks up the trail and wonders if it will be difficult to follow in the dark. "I think our best bet is to go out like we came in. Fitz and I will scout ahead, and you three follow behind. If we encounter anything that might prove difficult, we'll fall back and give you warning. And how about we don't decide to attack and just let whatever it is pass by? Never mind acid shooting bugs, I could kill Drakkar by spitting on him right now. We cannot afford any heroics."
"There is no spoon."

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#290 Post by Paladin »

Sir William Narramore

The big man sighs. "I thought we had more daylight," he says with a rueful glance at the swiftly-fading sun. "You're right, my friend. Let us be quick and quiet. We will follow at a short distance behind, as you say."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by hedgeknight »

Fitzenbell

"Did you say pickles?" Fitz asks Dexter, wincing as he glances at Drakkar's face. "Because I'm starving! And I love me some pickles...especially with a nice mutton sandwich. Man, I'm hungry!"
Fitz rubs his belly and sucks down some more water from his ever-depleting waterskin. "Let's just hurry back as quietly and quickly...and safely as possible."
Winter is coming...

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#292 Post by SirOwen »

Dexter Broadleaf

Dex nods at Sir William and Fitz. He pulls his pack snug and grabs a few big leaves and tucks them into his belt and the back of his shirt to break up his outline. "Nice and quiet, Fitz. Let's go." The Halfling moves off to the side of the trail, but not as far now, so as not to lose track of it in the dark. He puts all his senses on alert for sounds, smells or movement, straining his infra vision for any heat signatures as well.
"There is no spoon."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#293 Post by SirOwen »

Just checking on the moonlight. I don't know if you use such things, OM, but the Calendar of Greyhawk indicates that Luna, the larger moon, is approaching full and Celene, the smaller moon, is dark right now. Just wondering because we're wandering around at night. :eek:

https://post-greyhawk-wars-585-cy.obsid ... k-calendar
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#294 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nice!

I do now. :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#295 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will assume Max goes along with the groups decision.

Evening, Warm, Humid, Very Buggy

Drakkar looks down his half burnt bulbous nose at Dexters comment, squinting his one bad eye. "If ya feel froggy shorty......leap." It is difficult to tell if he is serious or not, since his normally foul mood has gotten worse after his own recent blunder.

The group decides to press on, despite the darkness setting in. They creep along through the jungle as quickly and quietly as they can, passing the landmarks and trail they found on the way to the pits. There are more animal noises off in the jungle, but with no desire to run into anything dangerous, they press on till they start to hear the lapping waves of the sea off in the distance on their right.

The bugs have come out in full force after dark, buzzing, biting, and stinging each of you again, causing some of the worst conditions you have ever seen. 1 dam each At the point where you think you are about to come out onto the sandy beach up ahead, a glowing orange light can be seen just off the left side of the trail. By the smell of smoke in the air, it isn't difficult to tell that this is a small fire of some kind. Creeping up ahead a bit more, Fitz and Dex spot a small 4 man canvas tent set up next to a small cook fire just outside its front flap. There is no indication that anyone is nearby, but the interior of the tent is dark.

When the scouts return to share their findings with the others, Draakar doesn't look so good. He mumbles something about the bugs and when he turns his head, the entire burnt side of his face is covered with insects trying to eat away at his dead skin, burrowing into his exposed flesh. "I'm fine", he mumbles just before he topples over face first into the dirt at your feet.

Actions?

Sir William Narramore 8/12 LOH
Cornelius Fitzenbell 4/8 1/1 RM, DI
Drakkar Deepcrag 0/11 (Unconscious)
Dexter Broadleaf 11/15
Maximus Fleetfoot 4/8 (C) 0/2 (MU) 0/1 CL, DM, RM

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#296 Post by SirOwen »

Dexter Broadleaf

"Damn, damn, damn," Dexter whispers. Dexter asks around the party if anyone has any bandages. If not, the Halfling cuts away a piece of Drakkar's tunic. He wipes the insects off the Dwarf's face gently, but thoroughly, and then covers the scar with with the cloth and uses a piece of rope around his head to keep it in place, again, as gently as Dexter can do it.

Once he has Drakkar resting as comfortably as he can, he turns to Sir William, "That tent up there.... we don't know that they are hostile. They might even be willing to help us. We're close to the sea again, but still some distance from Beachtown, and I'm not sure Drakkar can make it. In any event, the only way for you to get past them unnoticed would be if you left your armor behind, and I know that is not happening, so let me suggest this. You, Max and Fitz carry Drakkar up there. Hail the camp from a distance and ask for help. If they are welcoming, or at least willing to let us pass by unaccosted, then you can let them know I am nearby, just in case. If they are hostile, then I'll be nearby as reinforcement and a surprise flanking maneuver." He tries to keep his terms sounding..... military, so as not to say that he'll sneak up on them and gut them from behind if necessary.
"There is no spoon."

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#297 Post by Paladin »

Sir William Narramore

The big man sighs, nodding as he scoops Drakkar gently into his arms. "I fear that nothing and no one in this place is friendly, but we must take a chance. Drakkar's life might well depend upon it."

He turns and walks toward the camp, pausing at a distance and calling out loudly enough to be heard at the tent, though not bellowing for all the world to hear--"Hello the camp...travelers approaching. May we share your fire a while?" He waits, eyes and ears peeled for signs or sounds of life.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#298 Post by Darklin2 »

Max

I have a healing bag with bandages in it. But we got to get the bugs out of it first.

OOC- I posted from my phone that I would follow the group keeping an eye behind us for any followers.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#299 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Darklin2 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:09 am Max

I have a healing bag with bandages in it. But we got to get the bugs out of it first.

OOC- I posted from my phone that I would follow the group keeping an eye behind us for any followers.
I didn't see any posts made from your phone either.

I also don't see any healing bag or bandages on Max's sheet.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#300 Post by Darklin2 »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:37 pm
Darklin2 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:09 am Max

I didn't see any posts made from your phone either.

I also don't see any healing bag or bandages on Max's sheet.
The looking behind must not have uploaded. Did it on my phone. Should have been right after the post with sleep spell. Don't have the bandages either they are in my chest at the tent. See notes tab. But at the tent so no good here.

Return to “Completed Missions”