1. The Tomb (action)

tibbius
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Tomb (action)

#261 Post by ybn1197 »

What do we know of Luan Phien specifically and the Empire in general?

Rolling Educated
Educated: [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 6

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#262 Post by tibbius »

The Empire was a bastion of learning and culture, a civilization that spanned the known world with uniform laws that protected the lives, property, and dignity of its citizens. Eventually it succumbed to the greed and arrogance of its ruling class, disintegrating into many political factions that vied with each other to the point of distraction from the tasks and obligations necessary to a functioning society. The ensuing centuries have seen petty kings, one after another and sometimes many at once, striving to reclaim the imperial glory or to preserve their own small fiefs against the noble ambitions of other small time royalty.

Luan Phien was a general and sorcerer in the late middle epoch of the Empire, a century or more before it fell. Scholars say he was one of the "last true nobility," a man distinguished by selfless service to the dictates of Order. Some biographies also mention that he had a sardonic sense of humor.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by ybn1197 »

Greetings General Phien, Elzarune says with caution. "The world has changed greatly since you once trod it's surface. The Empire has fallen far from what it was when you so selflessly served it."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

Sealgair will sniff a bit, "He smells dead to me. Is it safe to talk to the dead?"

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by ybn1197 »

Rex wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:31 pm Sealgair

Sealgair will sniff a bit, "He smells dead to me. Is it safe to talk to the dead?"
Elrarune quickly turns to look at Sealgair and give him a shrug. "He spoke first."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#266 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax raises a busy eyebrow questioningly but does not say or act against the talking dead. He merely rests a hand on his axe ready to wield it if the need arises.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#267 Post by tibbius »

That noise might be a chuckle. "I do get news betimes," the lich answers. "From those intrepids who enter here. Tell me, what's the year? What's happened since the year 330 After Fall?"

Let's say it's 501 After Fall; take great latitude in a brief summary of events of the past 170 years.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#268 Post by tibbius »

Satisfied with your brief summary of petty kings squabbling over bones and potsherds, the lich crackles its knuckles and its grimace stretches even wider. "Then you'll be wondering how to escape?" it asks you Elzarunecontentedly.
Last edited by tibbius on Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT

#269 Post by GreyWolfVT »

tibbius wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:14 pm Satisfied with your brief summary of petty kings squabbling over bones and potsherds, the lich crackles its knuckles and its grimace stretches even wider. "Then you'll be wondering how to escape?" it asks you contentedly.
Grax nods his head "That I would, an I'm sure me friends are thinkin the same."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#270 Post by tibbius »

tibbius wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:14 pm Satisfied with your brief summary of petty kings squabbling over bones and potsherds, the lich crackles its knuckles and its grimace stretches even wider. "Then you'll be wondering how to escape?" it asks you Elzarunecontentedly.
I've seen varying opinions on making language differences an obstacle. Here, in this particular scene, you're welcome to roll and establish whether you can understand the sorceror general. Grax and Sealgair would roll at Disadvantage. Note that the dead probably can't understand you unless you're speaking its lingo.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

Ancient Language [1d6] = 5

"We would like to go home sometime for sure."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#272 Post by tibbius »

agt_region.png
agt_region.png (482.96 KiB) Viewed 997 times
The Tomb is at (1). Please one of you identify where "home" is.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT

#273 Post by GreyWolfVT »

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#274 Post by tibbius »

"Ah," says the wight to Elzarune and Sealgair. "Then you'll be glad to know - there is more than one way to leave. Everyone so far has figured this out. I'll watch while you do the same. It's the only entertainment I get."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

Sealgair searches around to get more details of the room. "Lets see what we can learn."

Her home is in the forest with the oval trees, between the swamp and mountains, closer to #1.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#276 Post by tibbius »

The floor is smooth and slightly porous stone. The walls are similar. The ceiling is domed. At the center, the metal pole extends from ceiling to floor. It is surrounded at top and bottom by openings in the floor and ceiling.

At the entrance to the room there is the hand plate on the wall, which you know transforms the passage floor from an illusory surface to solidity.

At the side of the room is Luan Phien's alcove, where the deceased sorceror leans at ease within his tilted sarcophagus. His burning blue eyes do not visibly move and his withered rictus makes his face unreadable - but you have an uneasy feeling that he is scanning your faces and inwardly laughing.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#277 Post by tibbius »

You know that Wraith comes from the port city at the far south point of the peninsula, hundreds of miles away.

As you study the room in the glowing lights of the metal pole and of Elzarune's summoning, you barely notice Luan Phien shifting to settle down into his coffin a bit more comfortably. "I do miss wine," he mutters in his ancient lingo. "Time was I'd call it up from the basement of my tower, but there's no wine under this tomb."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT

#278 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax "Fair enough."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"Never much cared for wine, mead is more my thing." Sealgair sniffs around, trying to find any cracks that might indicate a secret passage.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#280 Post by tibbius »

The openings around the foot-thick metal pole are about four feet across - leaving gaps big enough for a person to squeeze through, upward or downward. The one at the floor smells like salty water, the one at the ceiling smells like mineral oil.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Traversing Tiny Dungeons (Tiny Dungeon)”