Out of character

tibbius
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Out of character

#1 Post by tibbius »

musings, conjectures, chatter, etc. here.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Out of character

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Just want to double check i have the correct pdf because i have found some other things online and wasn't sure if what I had already was correct. This is a quick screenshot of the cover of the pdf I have that says Tiny Dungeon 2e. But I have seen a Player's Handbook TD 2e on RPGDriveThru for $6.99 and wasn't sure what the difference was.
Attachments
td2e.JPG
td2e.JPG (37.85 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by tibbius »

I'm not sure what is the difference either, but what you have looks right!
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Perfect thanks Tib. I've been reading the creating an adventurer section any limitations or anything that you might have or are we going btb on this?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by tibbius »

I'd like to just go by the book, no house rules.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Perfect. I think I know for the most part what I'm going to make.

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Paladin wrote:Grax is a beast!
Yeah he is! I like to make beastly dwarves. They kick butt and take names. Might have one of his lines be "I came here to drink ale and kick ass, and I'm all out of ale!"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by tibbius »

Porter > stout > cream ale > ale > lager > pilsner > ipa ... (current partial list of preferences)
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Paladin »

Is material from TD 2e allowed? I don't have it, but if it is, I'll pick up a copy to peruse.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by tibbius »

It is allowed, though honestly there's not a lot - one new PC heritage (tree folk) and a couple of traits. Most of the price difference goes to the commissioned art, which is pretty good but if I had realized that was almost all the difference between editions I would have purchased only 1e.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

I like the idea of the Karhu (bear folk) but think it is poorly executed. I would give them 8hp instead of 7 (same as a dwarf), their Powerful claws would replace their regular mastered weapon, they would be nearsighted, shapes only at best beyond near range in addition to the no ranged weapon penalty. I would also give them the choice of one of the following traits. Armor Master, Beastspeaker, Berserker, Dark-Fighter, Diehard, Fleet of Foot, Strong, Tough or Tracker. You could even list some as sub-types only, Fleet of Foot as black only etc.

My love of house ruling and bears showing through. Still thinking on what I want to run, some sort of healer most likely since the group is missing one.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by tibbius »

I didn't have any ideas for house rules but I'm pretty much fine with what you're proposing for the Karhu - every character is supposed to end up with four traits, one "heritage" and three player-defined. I think Beastspeaker would make the most sense for bearfolk as a heritage trait. Pick three others including Healer and assign 8 hp and you're good to go.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Cool, I will. Thanks.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by tibbius »

Been thinking a bit about weaponry and the map for this adventure, and would like to propose a house rule for comments.

Heavy melee weapons - usable at near and close ranges. Deal 2 points of damage. Not usable in cramped spaces.

Thoughts?

I'll add that in this adventure, common sense would tell your characters that ranged weapons won't be particularly helpful in an ancient tomb.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hmm well if that is the case we would all want light melee weapons or none at all like the bear. ;)

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by tibbius »

Not necessarily ... there will be situations where fighting at the mid-range and dealing double damage would be advantageous. Also cramped spaces. So it could go either way. I wouldn't abandon the heavy war ax but maybe supplement with a dagger. (Is that RAW for chargen? I don't quite care.)
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by tibbius »

Generally, I can see how to play to at least some of each character's strengths with a variegated story.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by tibbius »

Triple posting ... eeesh.

Perhaps instead of not usable a fairer and more sensible approach would be disadvantaged in cramped spaces.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Traversing Tiny Dungeons (Tiny Dungeon)”