House Rules

Paladin
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

House Rules

#1 Post by Paladin »

I am a notorious house-ruler. The books are at my mercy, not the other way round. However, rulings will always be impartial and fair. You can count on that. I don't have fun unless you do, so I have no interest in hurting my players with lopsided rulings.

I'll update this thread with house rules as we go.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: House Rules

#2 Post by Paladin »

Weapon Damage

For two-Handed weapon damage, roll 2d6 and select the highest result.

For normal one-handed weapons, roll a d6 and take the result.

For small weapons like daggers, roll 2d6 and take the lowest result.

In this way, a normal man may still be killed by a dagger in the ribs or a longsword to the skull. The odds are just greater that the larger weapon will do more damage.

Skills

I don't use a defined skill system. Tim Kask calls them "knacks." If you enjoy figuring out traps or sneaking around (or whatever else), I'll let you try it a few times and, if you succeed, you'll start getting bonuses that I handle on my end. That's a knack. You'll get a 1-in-6 extra chance to succeed. Eventually, that might go up even higher.

Ability Checks

We handle ability checks with the roll-under method. Most things will not require a check. If they do, you'll roll 3d6 against the relevant ability score with the goal of rolling a total that is less than your ability score.

If an action is very difficult, it may be 4d6, or even 5d6. The goal is always to roll under your score. I will add modifiers as I need to depending on circumstances and a player's skill at making his case.

For example: A strength check is 3d6. I roll a 13. My strength is 14, so I succeed.

Death

Characters fall unconscious at 0hp. They die at negative level+1. So a first level fighter is dead at -2. A third level character is dead at -4. Etc.

Characters bleed out one HP per round that they are left unconscious. So you'd better reach them quickly.

Binding Wounds

Players may bind and heal 1d4 worth of wounds after a battle. You may only recover HP lost during that battle. HP regained may never exceed the damage taken during the last battle.

Extra Spells

Magic users and clerics are rewarded for having high INT or WIS by having access to an extra spell out of the gate.

INT > 14: +1 1st level m-u spell
WIS > 14: +1 1st level cleric spell

Score Adjustment

If you would like to raise your prime requisite by one point, you may sacrifice two points from another score to do so. No score may be lowered below 6 with this method.

Magic User Beginning Spells

Magic users begin the game with 4 first-level spells of their choice copied to their spellbook. The rest will be discovered through play.

Simple wrestling rules:

1) A successful roll to-hit establishes a hold.
2) To escape from a hold:
2a) If both wrestlers have a strength score, the saving throw is: 11 + opponent's strength - your strength.
2b) Otherwise, use hit dice: 11 + opponent's hit dice - your hit dice. Additionally, for every extra point of damage you or the opponent can do, augment by 1, and for every die of damage, augment by 3.
3) If the escape saving throw is made by 10+, a regular action is allowed, otherwise it counts as an action.

Initiative

I handle it behind the scenes. You just tell me what you want to do and I'll see how it happens as the initiative order ticks off.

Movement in Combat

You may move half your movement rate and still make one attack. The attack ends your turn.

If you have multiple attacks, you may move ten feet and still take both attacks.

If you only move, you may choose to run and double your move.

You may use up to half your movement rate to charge an enemy. Charging grants you +2 to attack and -2 to AC for the remainder of the combat round.

Return to “Beyond the Black Spire (S&W)”