The Role of Books...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Role of Books...

#1 Post by ravenn4544 »

Greetings - I'm about 200 pages away from finishing book 14 of the Wheel of Time series. Finally :). Made if half way years ago, but got distracted. Started up again recently and have been happily enjoying it. A few books in the middle where a little slower but the final few books have been pretty good.

So what's next? Any recommendations for a good epic series?

I've read Malazan Book of the Fallen a while ago and enjoyed that (i'll have to re-do that one again for sure), The Black Company, Game of Thrones, of course, and have a few others on hand but they aren't finished yet (I hate starting series that aren't complete :)).

Thanks!

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: The Role of Books...

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

ravenn4544 wrote:Greetings - I'm about 200 pages away from finishing book 14 of the Wheel of Time series. Finally :). Made if half way years ago, but got distracted. Started up again recently and have been happily enjoying it. A few books in the middle where a little slower but the final few books have been pretty good.

So what's next? Any recommendations for a good epic series?

I've read Malazan Book of the Fallen a while ago and enjoyed that (i'll have to re-do that one again for sure), The Black Company, Game of Thrones, of course, and have a few others on hand but they aren't finished yet (I hate starting series that aren't complete :)).

Thanks!
Well question I have would be have you read any of the old school D&D novels? Like the ravenloft series (open ended so really no specific order to worry about reading them in.) OR Dragonlance novels? Anything forgotten realms novel wise.

Only asking that as all I've been reading for the past 10+ years are old D&D novels. Currently reading Dragonlance Preludes book 1 about half way through and only started it a week or two back. I like to take my time.

I would recommend if you have not read them the Elminster series of books. Thats where this started for me when i was younger ready the first book part way through. Never completed it until maybe 2006 I think when i decided to buy a copy since I lost the one i had as a kid. That fueled the fire and I started buying older D&D novels and new ones too. I've read all that the Drizzt multiple series had at the time. Probably missing some new stuff since I haven't read a Salvatore book in probably 2 years now.

I really enjoyed most all the books I've read so far for D&D stuff. I would also say anything from Paul S. Kemp or Ed Greenwood is worth a read.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by tibbius »

I'll go a little off the wall here and say that Hemingway and Hammett are good reads if you want to mimic their style in play by post. They're both good storytellers and write solid prose without a lot of embellishment.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I could also suggest H.G. Wells books. The Time Machine and War of the Worlds. Granted these are the only books of his I have read I really liked The Time Machine.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Quonundrum »

Highly recommend War of the Worlds!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Have you ever read Fred Saberhagen's Empire of the East and Books of Swords? Classics and great RPG inspiration.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

Quonundrum wrote:Highly recommend War of the Worlds!
Thirded!

If you don't mind digital formats, right here is a good D&D place to start:

https://archive.org/details/appendix-n?tab=collection

:D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by tarlyn »

Discoworld novels by Terry Pratchett.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by tibbius »

tarlyn wrote:Discoworld novels by Terry Pratchett.
There is a scene in which dice actually fall from the sky, if I remember correctly. The gods run the game.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Terry Pratchett and Terry Brooks books are in my "to read list" as well so I couldn't suggest what I haven't read yet. :)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

tibbius wrote:
tarlyn wrote:Discoworld novels by Terry Pratchett.
There is a scene in which dice actually fall from the sky, if I remember correctly. The gods run the game.
Hah hah! For real? That’s great.
I don’t think I’ve read any Discworld books. I’ve heard of them, not sure why I haven’t read any.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by tibbius »

rredmond wrote:I don’t think I’ve read any Discworld books. I’ve heard of them, not sure why I haven’t read any.
They're a really humane and humorous version of swords and sorcery. The characters generally are likable people, although some behave in horrifying ways if you stop to think about what they're doing. Heroism is accidental in the earlier books, and tends toward "just doing my job" in the later ones. My favorite characters are Granny Weatherwax (a witch), Carrot (a six foot tall "dwarf" watchman), and of course Rincewind (a mostly-failed but graduated wizard with a knack for languages and surviving terrible decisions).

I should add that many of the books are available to borrow from archive.org.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated! I like the unique ideas.

Terry brooks was good - the first three (sword, elf stones, and wish song of shannarra).

Have read a lot of the forgotten realms and dragon lance series (the first dragon lance trilogy was great). The Avatar series in the forgotten realms was my favorite. I have Elminster in Hell but never read it - maybe dust that one off between epic series readings :). Enjoyed the Drizzt series too.

Started on a new series from Brandon Sanderson (stormlight or stormbringer series - i forget the name) and i like that - but that's 10 books and only 4 out so far so that's gonna have to wait. I ordered the mistborn series as reviews were good but never read it.

Katherine Kerr's deverry series was really good - characters were good.

Maybe i'll re-read Stephen Kings 'the stand' - that's apropos for the times :)

I'll have to browse my library and see what jumps out.

Any ideas welcome!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Inferno »

Cormac McCarthy's The Road!

Another vote for Gary Gygax's list in Appendix N from the AD&D DMG:

And I'd add Tom Moldvay's list from D&D Basic as well:

They really speak to the game's roots in pulp horror and sword and sorcery vs the high fantasy of Tolkien that came to dominate the genre and the game (through no fault of Tolkien).
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by tibbius »

I see C.J. Cherryh mentioned in the D&D Basic list, so I'll amp that up by specifically mentioning the Morgaine Chronicles. A strong and complicated female paladin and her ronin sidekick, written by an extremely learned woman. They travel between worlds through faery gates. The gates make them immortal. Something I'd like to re-read if I ever have sufficient time.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I realized I forgot to mention one of my favorites Douglas Adams. If you're into that type of thing I'd recommend it. :)

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by ravenn4544 »

douglas adams is just a work of art.

that list from Tom from the basic set is brining back memories. the first one on the list - the Book of Three - was the first fantasy book i ever read. Loved the artwork on that cover as a kid :) Still on the bookshelf!
IMG_1258.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG (161.04 KiB) Viewed 1664 times

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by cybersavant »

ANYTHING by Poul Anderson - i have all of Anderson' Asimov's, Bradbury's and Tolkien's wrtiings
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Hadarai »

If you enjoyed The Black Company Glen Cook has another series called "The Instrumentalities of the Night" that I've been enjoying immensely! It's got an entirely different feel, a bit more like a spy novel I guess but I really love the world building and dense cast.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:If you don't mind digital formats, right here is a good D&D place to start:

https://archive.org/details/appendix-n?tab=collection
This is awesome!
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Return to “General RPG discussion”