Ride to Fort Mount Pleasant

Stirling
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ride to Fort Mount Pleasant

#101 Post by Stirling »

Billingham's Annexe. Fort Mount Pleasant.

Malcolm joins in with a shout of "Hallelujah", achieving the required hand to force the manitous to empower his spell casting of huckster arts.

Malcolm needs to roll his normal Arcane spells casting to trigger the Blessing effect.

If Pastor receives the Blessing I will allow you to re-roll your first Exorcism macro using a d12-4 (inclusive of -6 veteran, +2 Conviction adjustments), add this to the total from the Fate points (17) and aide points (+4 if everybody remains unshaken after Guts roll), vs the werewolf target number. (23).

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#102 Post by redwarrior »

Malcom reaches across the table and shakes the manitou’s hand. Sir, You surely play a a fine game. I look forward to our next game. I’ll make sure to put that knucklebone to use at a fortuitous time. But now, I must be getting back. Until the next time.

Arcane skill [1d10] = 8

A raise even! No damnation this time around. :twisted:
Last edited by redwarrior on Tue May 19, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Stirling »

Great. I think it best to resolve any help from Doc & Jack in case that also influences the exorcism macro then I will call for Pastor Flanagan to roll.

Isungr
Strider
Strider

#104 Post by Isungr »

Jack LaGrone

With all Hell breaking loose around him, Jack feels shaken to his core.

Guts [1d4] = 2 Wild [1d6] = 1

Using Fate chip.
Guts [1d4] = 4

Internally, Jack rallies. What is wrong with you? Hell, you lived through the War and that old man needs your help, And that boah, too. What can I do?

A childhood memory surfaces. As a young boy 5 or 6 snuggling up to his Mom in the family chapel, dozing while around him the congregation sings in praise of the Lord God Almighty. Hesitantly, off-key, Jack looks to the scene in front of him and begins to sing, his voice slowly gaining in timber and volume....

A mighty fortress is our God,
A bulwark never failing:
Our helper He, amid the flood
Of mortal ills prevailing.
For still our ancient foe
Doth seek to work his woe;
His craft and power are great,
And armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal.

Did we in our own strength confide,
Our striving would be losing;
Were not the right Man on our side,
The Man of God's own choosing.
Dost ask who that may be?
Christ Jesus, it is he;
Lord Sabaoth is his name,
From age to age the same,
And He must win the battle.

Intimdation roll:
Intimidation[1d6] = 6 Wild [1d6] = 1

Aced[1d6] = 2

For a total of 8. Success with a raise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB5XvHq8UHk

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Marullus »

Alright! Good job Malcolm and Jack!
Devil's reroll [1d12+1] = 12+1 = 13[1d6] = 2
Devil's reroll - ACE [1d12] = 10
That replaces the first roll of 5 with 23!
Plus 11 from the first Fate point will finish it off.
Did I still spend Fate points #2 and #3?

As Jack's voice begins to rise in triumphant hymn, the demon in the child quails and the Reverend takes heart. Unaware of Malcolm's bargain, he feels power surge through him at the critical moment and commands the evil to depart!

As the abjured demon releases the child and the room false into a moment of clarity and calm, the old man falls to his knees in gratitude. "The Holy Spirit is with us... The Holy Spirit is with us. All glory to God."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Stirling »

The Eleventh Hour.

The exorcism is a protracted process and the team rotate places around the bed to help the pastor minister to the boy.

Jack LaGrone steels himself in the face of the bestial nature possessing Bram. He summons some courage to overcome the physical reaction to the frightful scene and encourages the brethren gathered with an old battle hymn. He regaled the Wolf with its triumphant and militant sentiments, inferring that they will have the victory over him.

The wolfboy reacts to the Intimidation. It is an Opposed roll as a Test of Wills. He retorts, snarling at Jack, "Ah! He who trampled upon the blood of innocents in a vain war. As much a beast in uniform as a boy in fur."

He reacts to your chorus. You feel as though you have provoked his ire and ordinarily would be disadvantaged momentarily but the lycan remains unshaken and returns to a resistant howling.

Werewolf Bram resists Intimidation [1d6] = 5 WC [1d6] = 1

The Intimidation successful but not a raise needed to wrest further control of Bram off him.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Stirling »

ah! ok Marullus. I see we posted together. You scene is a bit premature unfortunately and the macro rolled the incorrect one. Sorry to test your patience and pour water on the Ace skill roll.

We will wait for Doc Bolt to respond. First Doc needs to pass a Guts test to add his presence bonus to your score and Doc may come up with a creative idea also to add a bonus to your skill roll.

Then I will call for your final Exorcism roll.

In the meantime Pastor Flanagan could also utter an opposed intimidation roll attempt as success gains you a +2 on the Exorcism roll.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Marullus »

Stirling wrote:ah! ok Marullus. I see we posted together. You scene is a bit premature unfortunately and the macro rolled the incorrect one. Sorry to test your patience and pour water on the Ace skill roll.
I am not understanding what is wrong? Malcolm rolled success with a raise, which changes my 1d10 to 1d12+1. Right? (I left all the modifiers separate - just rolling the die.) If I need to roll again, what die is it instead of a d12?

Pastor Flannigan continues to rail against the demon who dares grip the soul of this child, Bible in hand. "It is the power of the Lord before which you cower, servant of Satan, but you hurt this boy and I will kick you all the way to Sunday just for good measure!"

Intimidation [1d6] = 6[1d6] = 1
Intimidation - Ace [1d6] = 3
Intimidation of 9.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Stirling »

Okay I will deal with the Intimidation first

Pastor Flanagan continues to rebuke the werewolf, intent on crushing the lycan spirit in the head though it bruise his heel.

The werewolf reacts to the provocative stance and growls back.

Werewolf Bram resists Pastor Flanagan Intimidation [1d6] = 1 WC [1d6] = 2

He rallies himself though his resistance is not as strong

Werewolf Bram resists Pastor Flanagan Intimidation: Fate chip re-roll [1d6] = 4 WC [1d6] = 5

The words clearly echo within the mnd of the creature as his grasp loosens. The 'raise' shakes the creature and an a last effort of diabolic denial GM uses final Fate chip to remove the shaken condition. The Intimidation though is enough to secure an advantage for the Pastor's final actions. +2 on your next trait roll vs the werewolf.

So the present scene waits upon Doc Bolt's actions to be resolved as he may contribute a +1 attendance bonus and a further advantage if he can successfully shake the werewolf.

Your final Exorcism roll will be done after Bolt acts ( in theory he could blow you all up first. ..),

Your Exorcism is vs the werewolf's opposed total of 23. (21 if shaken by Doc)

Presently you will gain a +1 for each of your aides who pass a Guts check. (3/4 success, waiting on Doc).
I am also using your three fate chips totals of 6,,5,5,1 =17

Malcolm Blesses your with a higher die type inclusive of raise thus d10 becomes d12+1. Casting a veteran rank power gives a -6 penalty, your Conviction gives you a +2 bonus and the recent Intimidation success a further +2 to your action.Thus a cumulative -1 to the attempt.

So after Doc Bolt acts you will roll a [1d12-1] to gain a 3+ (if Doc succeeds vs Guts) or 4+ total to better the werewolf resistance.

Hope that makes sense.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Marullus »

Okay. So, we're going to throw out the Ace skill roll because I rolled it too early. We will discard the old d12s and roll new a d12 at the right time, and you'll apply all the appropriate modifiers to it at that time, assuming we're not already blown up.

I'll wait until the right time and hope for the best. :)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Stirling »

Yep. I am disregarding the Exorcism macro but am accounting for the Fate chips. I also disregarded your very first attempt to make room for team help.
Exorcism [1d10] = 4[1d6] = 5 As you noted this total with your Fate use still fell short.

Rolling for Bram in advance gave a target and framework to role play against. If I had waited until you rolled, in all probability you may have used just one fate chip for a total of 16 believing it would be enough.

Team effort changes your attempt from [1d10-4] +17 in Fate chips vs 23 (10% success chance) to potentially [1d12-1] +21 vs 23. (75% success).

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Marullus »

To be honest, I'm still not following the logic at all. I didn't use a macro - I deliberately typed the dice to make the new roll when Malcolm succeeded. I agree I discarded this roll:
Exorcism [1d10] = 4[1d6] = 5
and was replacing it with the new roll from Malcolm's action:
Devil's reroll [1d12+1] = 12+1 = 13[1d6] = 2
Devil's reroll - ACE [1d12] = 10

I like your method for making sure everyone is involved.
I'll just wait and do what you say when it is time.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by ybn1197 »

Doc Bolt Guts: [1d4-2] = 2-2 = 0 WC: [1d6-2] = 3-2 = 1
Spend a bennie to remove Shaken.

Doc Bolt pours through the notes to see if there is a way to reverse engineer the collars to pacify instead of enrage the werewolf.
Doc Bolt: Smarts [1d8] = 3 / WC: [1d6] = 2
Spend a bennie to reroll
Doc Bolt: Smarts [1d8] = 3 / WC: [1d6] = 4

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Stirling »

Doc Bolt collates and organises the scattered loose leaf notes and the equally scattered and spread wolfsbane leaves, trying to bring a practical, scientific solution to the chemical imbalance within the boy. You smartly manage to figure out Maester Billingham's codex for writing and interpret his diagrams and equations. With luck, you figure you could coddle together a single wreath from the two whose inner workings cause the emittance of the sulphurous ghost rock fumes to combine with the fragrant pheromones of the blossoms to bring a chlorophyllic effect instead of a provoactive response.

However, it is going to take time. Just how long you roughly calculate. Gizmo repair time [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1 Seven hours. A long time and barely enough if you are to help. You set to it on the desk, mini-screwdrivers and universal clips manipulating the inner mechanisms of the intricate pipework.

Doc Bolt. I need a Repair roll to create the wreath and then as you take your turn to aide Pastor Flanagan, I will need a usual fighting attack roll as you use the newly created gizmo. This is modified as a 'touch attack' +2, as you simply waft the fragrance under the wolf's nose and the effect will be opposed vs the werewolf's vigour. The gizmo will induce 2d6 of non-lethal damage causing Bram to become shaken and 'wounded'.

Werewolf Bram resists pacification effect of gizmo [1d8] = 5 WC [1d6] = 2

So in order:

Doc figures the notes. Passed benny chip used
Doc needs Repair roll to fix gizmo. Awaiting roll result
Doc faces Guts test. Passed benny chip used
Doc uses gizmo on Bram. Awaiting roll at +2.
(Natural 1 causes another catastrophic failure).
Roll non-lethal damage vs Werewolf vigour.

After resolving your action I will move to the final prayer of Pastor.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by ybn1197 »

Doc Bolt does his best to piece together the broken remains of the collars.
Repair: [1d8] = 3 wc: [1d6] = 2

Assuming it is in working order, he will use the collar on Bram.
Fighting: [1d6] = 4 wc: [1d6] = 5 Forgot the +2 so 7 is the WC result.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Stirling »

The Eleventh Hour.

Doc Bolt spends his hours adjusting the exploded wreaths. He can be rightfully nervous since the catastrophe of the previous creator's use of the ghost rock powered device. Eventually you are satisfied with your remodelled version. It whirrs and hums, mixing a small fragrant cloud of wolfsbane spores. However within moments the thing splutters and chugs as if the power is running on empty.

Quickly you go to aide Pastor Flanagan. Facing the werewolf form of Bram you are temporarily shocked but steel yourself. Unfortunately the gizmo lacks the neccessary repair and splutters out and the attempt to pacify the beasts resistance is nullified.

Doc Bolt, Jack LaGrone, Wina and Malcolm all pin down a limb each as the wolfboy howls at midnight. After prayer and fasting Pastor Flanagan rebukes the lycan spirit within Bram and cleanse him of the blood curse.

Pastor Flanagan go ahead and roll your Exorcism attempt at [1d12-1].

You have +4 to your total from aides and I am using the Fate chips combo of 17. You need a score of 3+ to deliver Bram. Narrate the scene.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Marullus »

Eight hours of prayers and abjuring the evil before him with scripture, prayer, and invoking the name of Jesus, Pastor Flannigan carries forward in the proud tradition that began with the Apostles, imbued by the Holy Spirit with the power to rebuke demons in the name of God Above.

He continues his convicted tirade, either unaware or unwilling to be distracted as Doc Bolt comes in with his sputtering and whirring mechanical devices. He is unsurprised as the efforts of science fail, his movements of Faith undeterred.

As Jack's voice begins to rise in triumphant hymn, the demon in the child quails and the Reverend takes heart. Unaware of Malcolm's bargain, he feels power surge through him at the critical moment and commands the evil to depart!

As the abjured demon releases the child and the room false into a moment of clarity and calm, the old man falls to his knees in gratitude. "The Holy Spirit is with us... The Holy Spirit is with us. All glory to God."

Final Exorcism! [1d12-1] = 9-1 = 8[1d6] = 2

Intentionally including the irony of his words, given he's unaware of the Devil's intervention in these affairs... :) Looking forward to Malcolm's roleplay there!

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Stirling »

Midnight.

After a long time wrestling in prayer and physically restraining the beast in Bram, Pastor Flanagan calls upon the Name above all Names and the lycanthropic spirit bows as divine authority is exercised and with a final whimper, leaves the boy. You almost feel the tension released in the atmosphere and shiver as a lupine shadow fleetingly exits the cellar stairs.

A team effort. Well done. (Would have been so much easier but so less interesting or challenging had the werewolf not Aced his initial resistance).

Doc Bolt realises his handiwork is sound but the resources are what let him down. If you can source some freshly harvested wolfsbane you could create a working wreath. What future effects that may have, to provoke or pacify lycanthropes and shape changers may be a challenge you investigate. You may also research Billingham's notes and office more thoroughly if you wish as I assumed that during the exorcism session you were mostly focused on the wreath repair. let me know if you have specific questions or actions.

After the session, folk retire to their bunks. Eyebrows are raised by settlers and soldiers alike but they all seemed pleased at least some semblance of peace brought to the boy and the Fort.

Fort Mount Pleasant.

Saturday May 3rd1879.

The settler folk restock supplies, repair wagons and conduct various trades. They seem intent on leaving the Fort very soon to continue their westwards treks along the Overland trails. They will depart after the Sabbath rest. Some will pass close to Cheyenne and if anyone wishes to head in that direction, space is made to accommodate you.

A company of cavalry return from scouting the buffalo carcass field, completing the burning of the remains of men and beast. Further scouting will need to be done to track down the group responsible. Major Willetts realises some of the limitations in skills of the 'volunteer' cavalry and so opens up the idea he may be requiring seasoned scouts to assist in this ongoing operation.

Pastor Flanagan officiates with Major Willetts in the burials and services for the recently deceased. You may also hold a 'Revivalist' meeting down by the nearby creek for those wishing to attend. Plans are agreed for a more formal place of worship to be established and a chapel room will be built. Perhaps you help dedicate the laying of the first foundational stones.

As far as lowering territorial Fear levels, the exorcism of Bram will impact the immediate vicinity of the fort by +1 and 'tales' of the good deed spread by the gossiping wagoners.

The fate of Bram and Mrs Lineacre faces a dilemna. The original duty was to apprehend a fugitive alleged to have murdered some college tutors. The suspect was thought to be Drace Lineacre, travelling incognito on the train. However Bram was discovered and as a boarding student at the college who manifested under the wreaths provocation, suspicion naturally transferred also to him. However with the lycan spirit exorcised, there is no hard evidence to sustain a prosecution of the boy. Maester Billingham and his gizmo no longer available to assist in the rendition. The law marshalls of Denver exercise their authority only up to the Union border which covers the area Fort Mount Pleasant. Technically they are outside of their jurisdiction and it relies on the Major to co-operate with good cross border relations. if anyone can or wants to argue any legal viewpoint for or against returning the mother and child to Denver please do so.

Give me any character actions and questions with relevant rolls if needed during the next day at the Fort.

Come to some decisions on what you would like your character to do or go. I will advance the days to the Monday morning.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Marullus »

Stirling wrote: As far as lowering territorial Fear levels, the exorcism of Bram will impact the immediate vicinity of the fort by +1 and 'tales' of the good deed spread by the gossiping wagoners.
Awesome! :D

At the end of the old man is just an old man. He is shaky and spent, his legs wobbly with exhaustion. He accepts help to get him to his bunk and sleeps until morning.

In the morning, he finds Mrs. Linacre. sitting down with her, he relays the scripture from the gospel of Matthew. "It was a time like this when Jesus sat down with those walking with him. He told them, 'When an impure spirit comes out of a person, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, ‘I will return to the house I left.’ When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that person is worse than the first.' this is an important time... For you and for Bram. You got to fill the hole left by this devil. You can't leave his house unoccupied. It's a God-shaped hole, and the Holy Spirit is ready to help. You need to help him walk the right path, to walk the light, to keep from further predations of evil. Will you make that change?"

If she is sincere, he will spend a week to get and Bram on their right spiritual foot, seeing to their baptism and those of the soldiers ready for their first step of faith. He will arrange with Major Willets to consecrate the fort and it's chapel to protect them from the evil yet coming... Because their trials are not over.

If she cannot, if she clings to the evil that will return with her husband, then he has no choice but to knock the dust from his shoes.

IC, he can't walk away, and it takes a week to complete the rituals to create holy ground at the fort. It would keep her safe from her husband's return (or worse) and he could arrange a caretaker job for her to stay with Major Willets, within the chapel.

OOC, I want us to be able to catch up and get the party back together. So, I am writing to leave the choice.

I will let others make the legal argument (I think that's a fair bit of fun!)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by ybn1197 »

Doc Bolt will spend what time he has available gathering up notes as well as Maester Billingham's gizmos. He is looking for choice places where wolfsbane can be harvested. As for future choices, I wouldn't mind getting the group back together but I'm ok if that is not possible.

Return to “Deadlands Reloaded (Savage Worlds)”