Rider of Rohan

[OOC] At the well

#1 Post by Leitz »

Role Call:
  • Acolyte - (Mr Stereo1)
  • Crafter
  • Hunter - Alarik (cybersavant)
  • Warrior - Mateusz (tibbius)
"Warrior" changed from "Militia". Would like at least one player to make a character of each role. You are free to make two characters, as long as you feel comfortable playing that way. The PCs are villagers, and everyone knows all about everyone else. The joys of small villages on the wild edge of civilization.

I'll post the scene intro this evening, so you can see how your characters might fit in. Current players should be able to reply to the forum.
Last edited by Leitz on Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [OOC] At the well

#2 Post by tibbius »

Great opening setup.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Leitz »

Alarik knows that finding game would slow them down, but there are plenty of springs for fresh water along the way. Everyone can stock up on enough bread and hard cheese to last the trip.

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#4 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

So, uh, my healer's a bit of an ass. Tell me if gets annoying, but I'm aiming for bitter/depressed rather than misanthropic. Something like a more biting Dolorous Edd, if you've read ASOIAF, I guess.

Am I right in remember it's base morale 4 for being militia members or something similar, or should I go roll 1d6 for that?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Leitz »

Mr Stereo1 wrote:So, uh, my healer's a bit of an ass. Tell me if gets annoying, but I'm aiming for bitter/depressed rather than misanthropic. Something like a more biting Dolorous Edd, if you've read ASOIAF, I guess.

Am I right in remember it's base morale 4 for being militia members or something similar, or should I go roll 1d6 for that?
Hah! Okay, my brain was locked onto AD&D "classes", forgetting that a skill based system lets you build your class as you go. So Healer would be the 'career'. I was originally thinking of Acolyte being a pseudo-cleric, but that's not a requirement.

On Morale, you roll 1d6. If you get less than 4, it becomes 4. END modifiers are applied *after* the minimum upgrade. So, if you had a +1 for END, and you rolled a 1, the 1 becomes a 4, and then the 4 becomes a 5. I want semi-heroic characters.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

Mr Stereo1, Initiative isn't a Morale check. Because Alaric warned you, there's no surprise, and no Morale Check. Initiative for each round is the sum of the character's Morale + 1d6.

Make sense? No morale check until you actually get bit, or 27,315 more rats show up. :)

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

Leitz wrote:Mr Stereo1, Initiative isn't a Morale check. Because Alaric warned you, there's no surprise, and no Morale Check. Initiative for each round is the sum of the character's Morale + 1d6.

Make sense? No morale check until you actually get bit, or 27,315 more rats show up. :)
Oh, right! The reroll didn't change anything though. No hit, high DC, so the earth's getting fucked up I guess?

To Hit DC 8 [2d6] = 5 Damage if Hit [1d3] = 3

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

By the way, since Tibbius mentions it, if we can scavenge any weapons here what's the cash value? Hans' skills might waste an adventurer quality sword but he'd love some drinking money if he's offered one.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Leitz »

On "things characters know", I tend to be fairly open. In this case, the breeze suggests that there is another opening, up the hill.

What you do with that is up to you. :)

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by cybersavant »

since a bow is useless now, what are the stats for the short sword Alarik picked up at the camp?
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Leitz »

cybersavant wrote:since a bow is useless now, what are the stats for the short sword Alarik picked up at the camp?
Assume Skill-0, and 1d6 damage.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Leitz »

Just a reminder that there was a second person in the smoke pit. Sorry for the delay in responding.

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#13 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

Yep there's another fellow in there somewhere, but let's hope the healer doesn't get ganked before then! ;)

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

If we're in medieval Europe do we have strong believes about consecrated ground and last rites and such that means we need to cart the bodies back into town or get a priest out? I'd want to put some effort into honoring them, even if we are inevitably going to steal their shit.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Leitz »

Okay, let's wrap this up and talk about the future.

Hans can roll medic, with a +1 for the medicines found earlier, to save the woman.

With enough smoke and fire, you can keep the rats at bay, and take things from the cave. It is as sickening as you might assume.

The real question is, how did the game work for you? Did it? We're doing the other games, with lighter rules.

My thought would be to get your feedback on these mechanics, and then decide later if I want to run it again. If so, and if with the same characters, we can flesh things out a bit more. Give the characters time to grow some, use the treasure, etc.

Thoughts?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Leitz »

Mr Stereo1 wrote:If we're in medieval Europe do we have strong believes about consecrated ground and last rites and such that means we need to cart the bodies back into town or get a priest out? I'd want to put some effort into honoring them, even if we are inevitably going to steal their shit.
The average person believes in magic and the supernatural, and few would cross a devout priest or a "wise woman" without some hesitation. How much the characters actually believe is up to you, but belief and reality may not match. :)

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by tibbius »

You're a good storyteller. We basically used only the combat rules, which were ok. Honestly I think rules do not make a game, but these at least didn't break this one.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Leitz »

tibbius wrote:You're a good storyteller. We basically used only the combat rules, which were ok. Honestly I think rules do not make a game, but these at least didn't break this one.
Thank you. I like some rules, as they give a resolution structure and let the story-teller focus on the story. Having rules for different skills, and ways characters can transform over time, helps me as a player, too. I can build a plan and implement it in the world presented by the story-teller.

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

I'd say it was GMed well, the little low rent plotline had my interest, but the combat rules really need to be streamlined for PbP use. We were just rolling attacks back and forth for a lot of the game. In a tabletop game that's not a problem but as I've said before it draws out PbP without adding more than a single exchange would.

I was also a little frustrated by the male/female skill bonuses and penalties. As a healer I really should've taken a female character for the stat bonus but I wanted a male character so I had to take a penalty to my classes core stat. It just seemed like an unnecessary limitation.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by cybersavant »

had fun, seemed to run well

--
char stats diffs: i had no problem with it; but then i really don't like the modern trend to balance char gen

not everyone is equal, and that inequality provides options for role-playing, makes it more interesting
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Return to “The Other Party (2d6 OGL Homebrew)”