House Rules

roryb
Guide
Guide

House Rules

#1 Post by roryb »

The road goes ever on...

And to help us on the road, we need rules. Rules sometimes need amendment. Here are the house rules for TABA...

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: House Rules

#2 Post by tibbius »

Magic (incoming hostile).
Test the Magic trait, or the relevant magic skill if you have it. Failure means you suffer the effects of the magic; Blunder means you also suffer one wound. The effect of hostile damaging magic generally is limited to one wound, but magic can also do many things other than directly injure you.
Minions.
Sometimes you will have assistance in combat from minions. This could be tricky to represent using TABA's single roll mechanic. The solution is that you gain an advantage to your combat roll if you and your minions outnumber the opponents, or a disadvantage if your side is outnumbered. Remember advantages or disadvantages do not stack beyond 3d6 or 1d6, and any number of advantages will cancel any number of disadvantages. On your single roll, success means that you and your minions inflict on the opponents a total number of wounds equal to the smaller number of combatants; failure means that the opponents inflict on you and your minions a total number of wounds equal to the smaller number of combatants (so if you're outnumbered, you and each minion could suffer one wound); a Blunder means that you and your minions suffer a total number of wounds equal to the larger number of combatants; a critical success means that you inflict a number of wounds equal to the larger number of combatants (so if you're outnumbered, each of the opponents could suffer one wound). You decide where the wounds are allocated ("meat shields" is an appropriate phrase).
Missiles (incoming).
In a turn that you are subject to incoming missiles, test hiding or Sneaking to avoid the danger. On a failure you lose one Toughness, on a Blunder you lose Toughness equal to the number of shooters.
Last edited by tibbius on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

roryb
Guide
Guide

Re: House Rules

#3 Post by roryb »

Spending Fate
Fate can be spent to add dice after the results of a roll are known.
Success Counting
  • Blunder (no, and...)
  • 0 Successes (no...)
  • 1 Success (yes... or yes, but... in exchange for 1 Fate)
  • 2+ Successes (yes, and...)

Return to “A Lost and Overgrown Path (There and Back Again)”