OOC

ybn1197
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC

#1 Post by ybn1197 »

Use this topic for OOC which EVERYONE can see. If you want something in or out of character to be between you and I, use your private forum for that. Everyone should see their own at the top of the Topics page. I will be going over the character sheets between now and the end of the weekend. My plan is to start the game on Monday. Please make sure you get everything finalized by then.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC

#2 Post by Rex »

My private forum is good to go. Check mine carefully, I will be surprised if something isn't messed up.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

Leo is good to go too. Although I wouldn't be surprised if my maths hasn't gone wrong at some point too.

strawberrey
Strider
Strider

#4 Post by strawberrey »

I see my forum! And yes, as others have already said, check mine over carefully as well. First time venturing into this world. I'm hoping to get a crash course from a friend this weekend before we start on how the game mechanics work, such as rolls and actions and whatnot.

So my character (Channing Masaki) is going to have a very minimal amount of fame. I put two points into that background for her, because she is a pro-skateboarder. You probably would've only heard of her if you were in that scene, or if you browsed magazines that sometimes featured either interesting women or just athletes in general, she may have come up.

schmer
Strider
Strider

#5 Post by schmer »

I see my forum as well, to check in!

Also going to just hop on the first time with this world, but I'm really eager and looking forward to it. And math is REALLY not my strong suit so don't be afraid to tell me if I need to fix anything, very happy to do so and reading up on the mechanics as well.

Laurel has no fame, but connections through the university, basically, as well as her impending internship, but I kept most things I added points to simple on my end! Also, thank you for the heads up, it helps to know! :)

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#6 Post by Gremlin »

Posted my mortal sheet in the character sheet thread, and the Kindred sheet in my private forum for now. :) Still plenty of time for me to make any adjustments to either that you'd like me to!

Oh, by the way. I have no idea how to use/link the dice roller from this site, but I've used Orokos before so if we are using that roller then all the better.

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Lance »

It's funny how everyone's worried about their character sheets. I used a character builder website, so I doubt I messed up the math. :P
strawberrey wrote:So my character (Channing Masaki) is going to have a very minimal amount of fame. I put two points into that background for her, because she is a pro-skateboarder. You probably would've only heard of her if you were in that scene, or if you browsed magazines that sometimes featured either interesting women or just athletes in general, she may have come up.
Yeah, likewise, Odin is known in the Maryland metal scene and not outside of it. :)
Gremlin wrote:Posted my mortal sheet in the character sheet thread, and the Kindred sheet in my private forum for now. :)
Good idea, I'll post my embraced sheet in my private forum as well.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by shaidar »

I've done the same with my vampire sheet too.

I do like the character creation system but there are so many tempting option, particularly with all those merits and flaws.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Monsieur Rose »

So who has played this before? I've had the books for ages and made up some characters to start, but the game never got started.

Also, is there anything we can do to help this run smoothly? Having never played, I'm not familiar with any possible quirks or rough edges.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by shaidar »

I had the book when it first came out, but never got to play.

SeaSaltSong
Tracker
Tracker

#11 Post by SeaSaltSong »

Monsieur Rose wrote:So who has played this before? I've had the books for ages and made up some characters to start, but the game never got started.

Also, is there anything we can do to help this run smoothly? Having never played, I'm not familiar with any possible quirks or rough edges.
I've been playing weekly for the past year and a half to two years.

The system becomes a little intuitive once you get a vibe for things since it's pretty roleplay focused over rollplay focused. Most skill checks you'll know you need to make before the GM asks.

The thing that I see new players trip up on the most is that we're vampires. We aren't the good guys. That doesn't mean we're the bad guys, but things come up. Characters make very selfish decisions. We can do good things, we can save lives, and we often stop mega-brutal things from happeneing, but at the end of the night we're still monsters. We struggle with holding onto our humanity and fail. It is a tale of personal horror.

For example, in the game I play weekly I am playing a Giovanni, the necromancer clan. As a result she is a member of the mob and relies heavily on the family. The coterie (What you call the party) knows that her loyalties lie with the family and she keeps secrets from them. they know that if push comes to hove, the family comes first. That doesn't mean they aren't friends, and in fact if she had to choose it wouldn't be an easy choice. But the night life is unkind to the trusting and eternity changes people.they can, however, trust that she needs them.

Each other coterie member is in a similar situation.

However, for this game we start as kine, so in-character we don't know these things yet. This type of introduction is perfect for new players since your meta knowledge is the same as your IC knowledge. The only issue is player expectations. Someone from our group came in with the DnD heroes of the world super-good guy mentality and was getting very frustrated when his character wasn't a superhero and we had to make hard choices.

Again, every group is different too, and GM. My only advice is to come in with an open mind, and we as a gaming group will create a norm.
Characters
Lasombra, Sister Hannah || Baltimore by Night -- VtM 20th Anniversary
Wood Elf Druid, Kythaela Jadewind || Adventures in Manor Hills -- DnD 5e

GM
Orlando by Night -- VtM 20th Anniversary

strawberrey
Strider
Strider

#12 Post by strawberrey »

Does it help or is it encouraged for each character to be from a different clan so that we each have different strengths? Or does that not really matter? I'm pretty sure most of us have already chosen our clan, but I've been wondering if I should switch since the one I chose is being (at the very least) doubled up on.

SeaSaltSong
Tracker
Tracker

#13 Post by SeaSaltSong »

strawberrey wrote:Does it help or is it encouraged for each character to be from a different clan so that we each have different strengths? Or does that not really matter? I'm pretty sure most of us have already chosen our clan, but I've been wondering if I should switch since the one I chose is being (at the very least) doubled up on.
That's hard to answer. Depends on the group, individual builds, and GM.

For example, Ventrue have Presence, Dominate, and Fortitude. All three are available in other clans as well so there is likely to be someone else in the coterie that can do what you can do. If they are in a coterie with a Toreador, Tremere, and gangrel then all three of their disciplines are covered by someone else as well. Here is where build and character concept comes into play. Ventrue tend to hold title, have money, and command respect. While their abilities exist with someone else, by virtue of who they are they can get things done that others can't.

Here's another example, Brujah have Celerity, Potence, and Presence. If we have two brujah in the coterie they both might have similar builds, but one of them rides a motorcycle and leads a biker gang while the other is more invested in underground fight clubs. two totally different worlds and each brings something unique to the table.

The only time an issue might arise is if both characters took the same approach. If we have two people that dumped everything to be the best computer hacker, spotlight is going to have issues. or if someone has a unique ability it can take away if someone else fills that niche. Malkavien and Dementation, Tzimiche and Viccisitude, and Lasombra with Obtenebration come to mind.

me personally? I like seeing people from different clans unless they want to do something together. Like two brujah doing the thing together or something
Characters

GM

strawberrey
Strider
Strider

#14 Post by strawberrey »

Hmmm... So what clans are everybody thinking?

I was going Gangrel, but I am pulling out my book now to look beyond the main 7, maybe, for more ideas. I was a little hesitant to do so at first as a newbie, but I figure... why not at least take a look.

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Lance »

Well, I believe the Sister will be a Lasombra. :)

Odin will become a
Toreador
and to reflect on the discussion about character builds, he will not have a single dot in
Celerity
And I disagree about clan heterogeny, you can have a street brawler or a businesswoman in any clan, magic powers are secondary. ;)

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by shaidar »

Interesting discussion, it sounds like things like resources and allies can make a big difference to things.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Monsieur Rose »

I am planning on having Moreau be
Toreador as well.
He will have
celerity.
He may also have a lot of dots in Resources. Some in influence, retainers, and contacts. A totally legitimate businessman. :D

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Lance »

I just checked, 1 point in backgrounds costs 1 bonus point. Given the 5 you start with, you can max out 4 backgrounds at character creation. :D

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by shaidar »

This is where game experience comes in. Is it better to spend those freebie points all on backgrounds or boost attributes, abilities, etc.

At this point I haven't spent any freebie points on backgrounds, although I am holding some back for post embrace.

SeaSaltSong
Tracker
Tracker

#20 Post by SeaSaltSong »

strawberrey wrote:Hmmm... So what clans are everybody thinking?

I was going Gangrel, but I am pulling out my book now to look beyond the main 7, maybe, for more ideas. I was a little hesitant to do so at first as a newbie, but I figure... why not at least take a look.
So if you go outside of the 7, you will be treated differently by kindred society. how differently depends on the clan. I personally think a new player would enjoy learning the world more accepted into kindred society as opposed to seriously distrusted. There are a lot of clan politics that can be really fun to be into as well.

however, it isn't any more "difficult" one way or the other.

Lance wrote:Well, I believe the Sister will be a Lasombra. :)
Yes, she will be. She will also be getting Celerity with the additional discipline merit. This is one of those disciplines though that no one is really toe-stepping if EVERYONE has it and can work really well together.

Lance wrote:And I disagree about clan heterogeny, you can have a street brawler or a businesswoman in any clan, magic powers are secondary. ;)
THIS. This is what i was trying to say, but much more eloquently lol. Some brujah have PhDs. Some Ventrue have a short fuse. Sure certain clans look for similar traits to make their own bloodline stronger, but that's not a hard rule.

shaidar wrote:This is where game experience comes in. Is it better to spend those freebie points all on backgrounds or boost attributes, abilities, etc.

At this point I haven't spent any freebie points on backgrounds, although I am holding some back for post embrace.
Eh, that honestly depends. you can't buy backgrounds or merits after the game starts, they have to be acquired through game play. my recommendation is to have a theme or concept in mind, and just grab what makes sense for that. The rest will fall into place.

The system is much more roleplay than rollplay so you can't make a character "wrong" so to speak. minmaxing isn't as big of a problem (though some people definitely try, as with any ttrpg)

Write down the abilities you want as well as all merits, then start cutting the fat from there for the theme. For example, i took code of honor for the sister to mimic her final vows as a nun. They give a bonus on resisting temptation against my code, but honestly how often will that really happen? Poverty, celebacy, and obedience. It's there for the theme, the points would be much better used somewhere else.

The system is very forgiving to new players. You could literally randomly assign everything and have just as viable a character as anyone else. There's more emphasis on WHO they are as opposed to WHAT they are.
Characters

GM

Return to “Baltimore by Night (Vampire: The Masquerade (V20))”