The Flummery Tap (OOC)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Flummery Tap (OOC)

#141 Post by Leitz »

Mr Stereo1 wrote:That sounds good to me, Leitz. :D

By the way, do we have ponies, horses, or any other pack animals with us right now? I thought I remembered that, but I can't find anything saying we did.
I haven't been visualizing the group with animals, so if I missed that, please let me know. Speed wise, it wouldn't have made a difference due to the terrain and the weather. Finding a horse big enough for Barwuf could be a challenge. :)

On "how much cash do we have", the group planned a trip to Bree and back, with an expectation of side trips. Tarabim has some extra as well, so I'm assuming the group has "enough" for things like lodging, meals, beers, etc. Unless circumstances change, let's not worry about that too much.

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#142 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

Right, that makes sense.We'd probably be quite embarrassed marching a little pack pony through Rohan anyway.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Rex »

Speak for yourself.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Leitz »

Ogre Mage, Barwuf would note that the only person really making contact is the barmaid. I just didn't explain it well.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#145 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Got it! Thanks!

I thought the boy leaving might have been a pickpocket hint. :D

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Leitz »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Got it! Thanks!

I thought the boy leaving might have been a pickpocket hint. :D
More a teen boy snickering at a girl making advances. They don't look too related, but she may have given him a stare on his way out. :) You get the feeling that most everyone there, except for the minstrels and yourselves, are from there.

Okay, let me make sure I have the rules mechanics correct. Tarabim rolled 1, 6, 2. Normally 2d6 are rolled ( 1,6 ), but he has skill "Singing" and thus has Advantage. So all three dice count, and one success.

The question then becomes, is he trying to "Take Courage!" by producing the words (nice, BTW). However, it seems as if you can get Fate or Toughness *back*, but can you store it forward? Or should Tarabim get a 4th die, effectively spending the Fate as he gets it?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#147 Post by tibbius »

It's more that he's just trying to impress the crowd and garner praise.

Unfortunately this song might come back around (though I probably won't quote the whole thing) at a later date when Courage is needed. Depending how creative I can get with lyrics.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Leitz »

I think you could directly apply a Fate as a part of the process. So, they can't be stored, but they can be earned in the process of the action.

Make sense?

If you like, go ahead and roll another die.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#149 Post by tibbius »

Leitz wrote:If you like, go ahead and roll another die.
bonus for singing in a Haven [1d6] = 2

Still one success. I'll narrate a bit.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Leitz »

Apologies for the delay in posting, it's been an interesting few days.

If you have anything you'd like to do at the Inn, let me know. Otherwise the next scene will be on the road.

Tarabim suspects Olomir, like himself, is not just wandering. The other minstrels seems to be mostly just that, given that minstrels are seldom "just" anything.

For the others, the food is good and the drink is hearty if not high class. The night's sleep is exquisite, given what the group has dealt with for the past several days.

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#151 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

No sure what to make of the Browns plot hook, we're not really in a position to take people in on the death march just now, but I'd like to get back on the road. We've had a colorful interlude but it's time for adventure! :mrgreen:

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Leitz »

Mr Stereo1 wrote:No sure what to make of the Browns plot hook, we're not really in a position to take people in on the death march just now, but I'd like to get back on the road. We've had a colorful interlude but it's time for adventure! :mrgreen:
It's more me adding story lines that don't have you all in the story yet. No expectation to have a lady along, but Tom Bombadil didn't join them either. :)

On a different note, I've been coming at this wrong. I want to give the players agency, but I'm used to having a lot of semi-hidden sub-plots that develop as the PCs get involved. I'm not really playing the TABA style, so I need to adjust.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#153 Post by tibbius »

Not sure you're going wrong with what you're doing, though if you think there's a better way to do it that's your call. Subplots that aren't picked up still make the world more interesting and immersive. I've gotten some praise from players in the past about the loose ends that tantalized them ...
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#154 Post by OGRE MAGE »

If it’s any consolation, I thought about going *animal form* on him. :D

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Leitz »

I'm seeing places where I could give more information, and pause the action such that the players can think about how to respond, and roll. The back and forth works in face to face games, but story-telling is a little different. Shared story-telling is even more different. :)

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#156 Post by tibbius »

It's ok to slow things down a little so that we have a chance to roll, in fact it might help keep things moving smoothly in small steps rather than lurching along with big ones.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Leitz »

As we head into the next scene, I wanted to talk about the last one. Maybe I'm misunderstanding things, if so, please feel free to clarify.

My usual path is to try and understand the characters, and then put character flavored things in the story. For example, Barwuf is a healer. The serving girl took a liking to Barwuf, and she needed healing. The Brown's are societal cast-offs, a smile and some pleasant conversation would have affirmed her greatly. It wasn't about a one night stand or an abduction, but about reaching into someone else's life and healing them.

With Olomir, the story is different. Tarabim knows there's a political minefield surrounding Minas Tirith, and he's set himself firmly on the side of the king. Olomir is something in that story, but his role has yet to be revealed. Tarabim is no longer on the side-lines, he is a player in the game itself.

I'm still working on stories for Lotho and Lofar, but trying to give them a PC centric view of things. Input welcome.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#158 Post by tibbius »

Leitz wrote:My usual path is to try and understand the characters, and then put character flavored things in the story. For example, Barwuf is a healer. The serving girl took a liking to Barwuf, and she needed healing. The Brown's are societal cast-offs, a smile and some pleasant conversation would have affirmed her greatly. It wasn't about a one night stand or an abduction, but about reaching into someone else's life and healing them.
Input welcome.
It wasn't clear from the description that the servant girl had any kind of illness or injury that would require a healer's attention ... what I got from it was that she wanted to sleep with Barwuf. Understandably, being a decent chap just passing through, he wasn't interested.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Rex »

I agree with Tibbius, I didn't read get that the serving girl needed healing at all. Lotho is a wanderer by nature, along for the ride so to speak.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#160 Post by OGRE MAGE »

While it is true that the description of the serving girl and her mannerisms was a bit vague, I dont think of a missed or misunderstood encounter as a failure.

I think things like this happen all the time in these games, at least they do in a sandbox type setting.

If I did something wrong or unclear in my reactions to the situation, please let me know.

Return to “A Lost and Overgrown Path (There and Back Again)”