[002] - Out of the Frying Pan

Faanku
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [002] - Out of the Frying Pan

#301 Post by Enoch »

Vyrner smiles benignly as he adjusts the lapels of his coat. "Mister Bao, please let me start by thanking you for the courtesy you have shown us. The accommodations and the deference of your staff have been gratifying, and we hope that our work has lived up to your expectations. I am sure Mister Kasama has given you his report, but we will endeavor to fill in any gaps."

After a few more courtesies, he launches into the story (so far as he knows it), emphasizing the danger the crew faced and the skill and determination that allowed them to overcome it--talking their way through a blockade, the desperate space battle with pirates, the ravages of the civil war, and ultimately being shot down. He makes particular note of the trading opportunities that war brings, suggesting that the crew could be valuable in trade there, either smuggling individuals off-world or smuggling arms and high-value supplies in. He finishes by describing (in rather abstract terms) the team's resilience and adaptability in obtaining another ship after theirs was shot down.

"Of course, the ultimate test is whether we achieved the stated mission goal. Katya has been rescued unharmed and is safe."
I would like to use the ability Diplomat-2: Once per game session, shift an intelligent NPC's reaction roll one step closer to friendly if you can talk to them for at least thirty seconds.

I would also like to persuade him to stake us a cargo that would be of high value on Kakimedes or Daphion--essentially to invest in a trade mission.

Trade (Charisma): [1d6]=3+[1d6+2]=5+2=7 I need to work on that macro: that's actually a 10, not a 7.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#302 Post by Faanku »

Neogen Group Head Office, The Spires, Mejo
Sunday 20-02-3200
22:37

Bao listens intently, his implanted eye never blinking as Vyrner recounts the crew's recent exploits. His gaze sometimes moves from the far trader to another member of the team as they become the focus of the tale, though he doesn't speak a work until Odo has finished. There is a moment of silence as if Bao is contemplating his next words, then he speaks. "You are an eloquent orator, Mr. Odo. I'm glad that the reports I read on your linguistic capabilities were not embellished." He presses a button on his desk and the holoterminals dissipate, and at the same time the back wall slides aside to reveal a breathtaking view of the Night Market as seen from hundreds of floors above ground level. The tense atmosphere in the room seems to evaporate with the holographic screens, and Bao's expression is now softer somehow; you might even see the hint of a smile. "First of all, I want to thank you for rescuing Miss Novaro so promptly. Her father is a valued member of Neogen who came to me for help, and I am always happy to see my employee's wishes granted. Secondly, I am impressed that you managed to earn the recognition of Nina Rose. The report on your saving of the Flowerbed made for some highly interesting reading, but securing her as a trade partner perhaps trumped everything else that occurred there."

"Finally, I wish to discuss the loss of the Ogilvy. After hearing your story I am satisfied that she was not lost to negligence nor oversight on your part, but the fact remains that an asset worth several million credits is now gone." Bao holds a hand up to interrupt any potential interjection. "I understand the circumstances, but I have shareholders who will demand an explanation and a response; which is why I asked you all here today. I prefer to meet the people I'm going to be working with personally before I establish an official relationship, and I am happy to say that you are all as capable and talented as I was informed. And so I have a proposal for you all." He wirelessly sends a message to each of your comm devices; an official Neogen contract. There are several pages of terms and conditions, but a cursory glance reveals the following information:

Code: Select all

- The 100,000c for rescuing Katya will be paid in full into a holding account registered to a newly formed subsidiary of the Neogen Group.
- Vyrner shall be registered as the manager of the subsidiary, though equal shares in the business shall be granted to the other members of the crew. 
- An official office for the subsidiary shall be provided as part of Neogen's contractual obligations. This office is solely the property of the subsidiary so long as they remain in contract. (This is effectively a lvl 1 Corporate Headquarters on Mejo, per the Suns of Gold rules.)
- The Vale of Tears will become the property of the Neogen Group, accepted as payment for the lost Ogilvy.
- The Vale shall be lleased to the newly formed subsidiary. Once the valued cost of the Vale has been paid to the Neogen Group (825,000c) the ship shall become the full property of the subsidiary, and the subsidiary shall then have the option of dissolving their relationship with the Neogen Group.
- A compounding interest fee of 2% of the outstanding loan (currently 16,500c) shall be payable calculated monthly, representing the minimum expected payments from the subsidiary to the Neogen Group.
- The Vale's overdue maintenance shall be completed and paid for by the Neogen Group, incurring no cost to the subsidiary. She shall also be fully restocked of fuel, oxygen and food stores as a part of this payment.
- The subsidiary is allowed to trade freely with Nina Rose and the Flowerbed, so long as appropriate levels of discretion are maintained.
- The subsidiary shall be granted total autonomy so long as the above mentioned payments are met. Neogen shall hold no power over you.
After allowing you a few moments to glance over the document, Bao speaks. "I believe this shall work in both of our favours, though if you wish to discuss any aspects of the offer, please feel free to."

eirei
Scout
Scout

#303 Post by eirei »

Silas examines the drafted contract carefully. He did spend some time as a merchant, after all, and wasn't going to put his name on anything without reading it multiple times.

He's aware that he isn't particularly business savvy, though, and only got the job because of nepotism. As such, he decides to leave the actual negotiations to those better suited to the task. Looks like that will be captain Odo...

While everyone is busy examining the documents, Silas puts together a short message for Vyrner and sends it through a private channel:
"Hey, think you could squeeze one extra vehicle out of Neogen? Something worthy of Lorina? I doubt Bao would bat his remaining organic eyelid at that, but I'd owe you big time."

He hits send, and winks at the old man.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#304 Post by Enoch »

Odo is silent for several minutes as he reviews the contract on his datapad. At various points he nods, purses his lips, or blinks in apparent surprise. He slides the contract up across the screen and frowns briefly, tracking over a provision with his finger several times before he shakes his head slightly and heaves a small, resigned sigh. At one point he taps a message indicator, scans the message, and squeezes it closed.

"Mister Bao, overall the contract seems quite generous, but of course I can't answer for my colleagues. Might we have a few moments to discuss Neogen's offer?"

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#305 Post by greyarea »

Romer scratches his head at the contract, muttering, I wish we hadn't lost my lawyer back there.

He glances at the others, saying, I feel this contract is more about the Vale than anything else, although that first line: is Neogen paying us or themselves? We lost their ship so we don't get paid, is that it?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by Marullus »

Damian's face reveals little as he reviews his compad. Thank goodness Odo is here, he thinks, glad to let the Captain handle the business and return to his private research.
Damian's priorities:
* Goal: To discover pre-tech truths; no others could understand them. (Still his arrogant belief, priority right now is to keep Bao from learning of this aspect of our business.)
* Identify and acquire Archanotech (pre-scream items of exquisite manufacture understandable by only the most advanced 'scientists') or research facilities that may contain Schematics of such. (Our HQ could monitor the market for these as high-end trade items.)
* Study the Webway Gates of Daphion, Paphos system. (Learn their Schematic) (We need a trade deal/mission that gives us a reason to get to Daphion.)
* That art dealer didn't know what he had - his painting contained the map to the Artificers Vertices and I will get it one way or another. (Current priority is to make sure that our dealings with Isabella Maria Vasquez to study and exploint this painting and find the Artificers Vertices don't conflict with or get interfered with by Bao and this contract.)

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#307 Post by Enoch »

When they're alone, Vyrner turns to the rest of the group. He holds out his datapad as if offering it to the others, though they all have copies of the contract as well.

"Well, what do you all think? I have my own thoughts on the contract overall, but I'll save them until we all weigh in.

"Silas, I saw your message while we were meeting with Bao. I don't know if you know this, but I grew up on Lorina, and spent nearly every weekend at the tracks, watching the racers. Tried to talk my way onto a pit crew, but it turns out I wasn't much of a hand with a spanner. Made and lost my first fortune betting there, though."
He chuckles. "At least, it seemed like a fortune to a teenager.

"I'll ask Bao about getting you a racer. Don't know if he'll go for it, but if not...Lorina trades in high-tech ship components. Maybe we can make some trades there, get you a ship built or something. Maybe something custom, who knows?

"Damien, I know you're itching to explore Daphion. It's only a single hop from Mejos, so I'm sure we can figure something out. A benevolent serfdom with pretech factories; seems like it's ripe for trade."

He turns and focuses his attention on Romer for a moment. "Kwik, you voiced some concerns in there. It sounded to me like the Vale was an important part of the deal, yeah. Personally, I'd prefer to have the ship outright, but a lease-to-own is probably the best we'll get. And as far as I'm concerned..." He hesitates and takes a deep breath. "As far as I'm concerned, we can keep this sub going after we've paid off Neogen.
The Vale will be our first asset. Truth is, I never would have gotten it off Kakimides without you all. It belongs to all of us now. Hells, maybe we'll make fortune enough we can all afford our own ships, and I'll buy out your shares of the Vale.

"As for that first clause, my reading of it is that hundred-thousand belongs to the subsidiary, and once we pay off the Vale we- the subsidiary- can part ways with Neogen and we keep whatever the sub owns- the ship, the creds, and anything the sub generates in the meantime."

He lowers the datapad and looks at each member of the crew.

"What about the rest of you? What do you think?"

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#308 Post by greyarea »

Romer nods at Vyrner's replies to his musings. Well, if you're comfortable with it, then I am.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#309 Post by Marullus »

"Aye, Captain. You know I'll follow." Damian glances around, clearly not trusting privacy anywhere in this Headquarters. His words are sparse and he trusts his priorities are already known to Odo and the others.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#310 Post by Enoch »

The gray-haired trader looks around the room. "If we're in agreement, then, let's get back in there and sign. Silas, we can ask about the racer, but if he refuses, I imagine we can rent one on Lorina or partner up with a builder. When's the Open this year?"

Once we're done discussing, Odo intends to finalize the deal. He'll ask about funding for a racer for Silas, but he doesn't intend to make it a sticking point.

eirei
Scout
Scout

#311 Post by eirei »

Silas nods at Vyrner: "Sounds good to me. We've still got some time left until the Open."

How much time, though?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#312 Post by Enoch »

Odo walks back into the room. "Mister Bao, there's one detail I'd like to discuss, and then I think we have a deal."

Trade (Charisma): [2d6r2+2]=12+2=14

As mentioned, Odo intends to accept either way.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#313 Post by Faanku »

Neogen Group Head Office, The Spires, Mejo
Sunday 20-02-3200
22:45

Bao listens to your request, then nods with a glance at Silas. "A most interesting proposal." He sounds almost excited. "Very well, I shall be personally become the proud sponsor of Team dan Mallory. I understand you have something of a working relationship with one Kiera McInally? I shall make arrangements to have a vehicle delivered to..." Bao's green eye flashes for a fraction of a second. "...Lightning Fast Repair. That was her yard, I believe? Something worthy of a future Epithet, I'll make sure."

The man offers his hand to Vyrner over his desk. "Then we have a deal, Mr. Odo?" Soon after the pair shake, a digital seal appears on the virtual contract on your comlinks, and a second message appears with details of your office's location and the banking credentials to access your new business account. There is also a comm code that Bao explains belongs to his personal offices. "I'm kept busy, as you can imagine, but if things ever get urgent enough that you need to speak with me personally, that code will take you directly to my secretary. Though I have faith you won't be too reliant on support from the top." Bao's expression turns wistful as he continues, the scar on his face seeming to grow more prominent, his chromed hand flexing perhaps involuntarily. "I got my start on a far trader running the lanes, worked for 4 years as understudy and security. Lot of rough times, but it made me the man I am now." He looks over you all almost longingly, and then in an instant the rugged Free Peoples spacer is gone and the commanding businessman stands before you once more. "Apologies for reminiscing, but you gentleman remind me of those days intensely for some reason. I sense a long and productive relationship ahead of us both."

Bao answers any further questions you may have then sees you out, returning to his wall of video feeds and statistics as you leave. His secretary gives you the same old smile as she bids you safe travels, and you soon find yourselves out on the pristine streets of the Spires. A few moments later, Silas receives a comm from Kiera.

Code: Select all

What the fuck did you do? I just got a line from Neogen asking where I want our 3199 Imani Silverlight delivered to. WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO?
A 14, holy shit. Vyrner is truly a legendary contract negotiator.
You can go ahead and add a T4 gravcar to your possessions (list price 20k). If you want to tune it up we can work in the rules from Engines of Babylon or come up with some other way to boost its 'race power'.
Your 100k is now fully available to you, as well as your office elsewhere in the Spires.
The Vale will be in the spacedocks for maintenance for the next 7 days, but we'll go ahead and have a Downtime of 3 weeks to account for a faction turn.
Your subsidiary will need a name!

I'll sort out xp and goals in another post after you decide where to go now.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by Marullus »

"Nostalgia: the gift for the man who has everything," quips Damian once they are outside. "Lets get out of here. I need a room, a shower, then we can celebrate over dinner. Should we stay together, Odo?"

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#315 Post by Enoch »

Odo laughs abruptly and a little shakily, like someone coming off a battle-high. "We can talk about that over dinner. Seems like we have a lot to discuss.

Silas, I imagine you will need a qualifying race before the Open, so we'll have to plan a trip there reasonably soon."
He looks over at Stavros. "And yes, Damien, we'll be hitting up Daphion for your space-ring things."

"What about you, Romer? What are your priorities? Have any thoughts on how we might be able to help the MES-afflicted on Kakimides? We have a ship and the beginnings of a company; maybe we can use that to start this 'underground starway' or whatever?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by Marullus »

"If we're doing that kind of work we should recruit more muscle," opines Damian.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#317 Post by greyarea »

More muscle or more credits, agrees Romer. Now that my home world is sufficiently behind us, my sorrow and passion for what’s happening there is diminished some. If it’s in the interest of the company to help with the Underground Starway then I say we do it. But I’m fine pursuing other interests for now with that as a further goal. We’d need to determine where the Starway would terminate and develop those relationships. That’s lots of work. If we can accept missions that work along side that: bravo. Otherwise, let’s see if we can get on steady ground before taking on such as task. Head on, at least.

eirei
Scout
Scout

#318 Post by eirei »

"Don't worry, I'll work out the details with my mechanic. I just got a text from her, aaaand... she's absolutely freaking out."
Silas closes the message and grins from ear to ear: "I think I'll let her stew for a while, though. Thanks a lot, pops. Like I said, I owe you one."

He walks up to the others and puts his arms around their shoulders.

"But forget about plans for now. How about we go check out our new base of operations and have ourselves a little party, eh? Food and drinks will be provided, courtesy of your pilot!"

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#319 Post by Faanku »

Added the xp below, let me know if you think I missed any of your goals. Feel free to state a few more to add to the list, or perhaps come up with some shared party goals.
I'll start a downtime thread after this once you guys have come up with a name for your company; I need it for a plot development :)
Everyone
+3xp for successfully finishing the job
+Assets and credits as discussed previously (thread updated here)

Damian
+1xp for recovering the artefacts left on the Vale of Tears

Romer
+1xp for helping persecuted psions escape Kakimedes

Vyrner
+1xp for locating the Vale of Tears
+1xp for partial completion of founding a trading company

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by Marullus »

Wow! Excited for the next arc. Damian is really evolving.

For goals:
Marullus wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:34 pmI will establish the following goals:
  • Identify and acquire Archanotech (pre-scream items of exquisite manufacture understandable by only the most advanced 'scientists') or research facilities that may contain Schematics of such.
  • Study found Archanotech items (p. 132, identifying to learn their schematics) and may also count as Research.
  • Study the Webway Gates of Daphion, Paphos system. (Learn their Schematic)
  • Build or acquire an Archanotech Laboratory aboard ship to support further advancement of his studies. (25K, then 100K, then 250K. p. 113.)
  • Develop metadimensional pattern recognition within-dimension (Tracker Imp Token skill-2)
  • Master capability for small within-dimension transitions (Slipsheath, skill-2)
  • Learn the manufacture of in-system Gating techniques (Witchgate, at skill 2, 3, then 4)
  • Develop science for portal-less within-system relocation (Staff of the High Gate, skill-4)
I also need to check back in with Vasquez about the next steps in the Artificer's Vertices storyline. It is in a reactive mode right now and I can't make goals until I understand where it's going. Feel free to add some goals for it?

As mentioned on the "tier 1 company" discussion, I would like to have our NPC assets mox inquiries for archanotech items discreetly in with other high-tech lists. As a player I don't know how to proactively create leads there, so I am waiting for GM storyhooks. (The only hooks we have so far are Daphion Webways and Vasquez, so I am charging at them.)

Other hanging items:
Marullus wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:34 pm It then also asks the question of What is the Ithilien Codex and why did it matter? Looking over the current setup, I propose that the Ithilien Codex creates energy fields that ease the process of experimenting with trans-dimensional physics, and thus were key to his mastering his initial powers in the first place. It is the crutch he feels is necessary for his further studies. (Mechanically a 'Research Laboratory' worth 25K, which adds +2 to experimental skill checks [p. 113])

Would you also allow the Basic Archanotech Laboratory (25K) to double as a Workshop (500 credits as a ship fitting in core book, 25K as a standalone facility in Black Sun) due to his technological idiom, allowing mods to normal gear in addition to the magically-wierd stuff?
If the setup of the Vale of Tears doesn't currently include this fitting required for research, I need to pay the cost and rectify it at the beginning of downtime.

...then I will do research in downtime and tinker with gear mods for the crew.

Return to “A Return to Form (SWN:Revised)”