Chapter I: So, you all meet up in a tavern

sirravd
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter I: So, you all meet up in a tavern

#221 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

"Let the pip squeaks nibble their cheese that way. We can play whack-a-mole later." He says pointing at the south door. He nods to Endor to lever the door open with a crowbar and he will enter the north room.

sirravd

#222 Post by sirravd »

Same marching order as previously established (fighters in front, warlock & cleric at back, wizard & thieves between)?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Stirling »

I thought the in-character suggestion was to get the advance pair to rotate around each time so risk and danger is shared among the party. So Hector & Endor followed by Harker & Jacor, then Blaive, Mal and Quall making the last team (but 1st next time).

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#224 Post by Bluetongue »

I know it is popular to go with a traditional marching order but I thought to suggest swapping stuff around so that we face equal dangers. In any melee we are all as one group anyway.

Bree-yark
Scout
Scout

#225 Post by Bree-yark »

Jacor

Let's make sure that at least one of the first group entering the room has a torch. Harker and I would have probably been done for if he didn't think to bring one along. We know we have to watch out for things falling from the ceiling; perhaps we should prod the floor for pits before going in as well.

sirravd

#226 Post by sirravd »

The room is 20' x 20'. Apparently empty. Three polished skulls sit on a dusty table. Suddenly, a hissing sound––you estimate both very loud (near its source) and very far off.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Steps back momentarily. The hissing could be a snake, many snakes? Close by and far off, like an echo?

The polished skulls. Do they look like crafted items such as made from crystal or ivory or are they actual bone and shiny from regular spit and polishing?

"We are not going to get rich running from every bogey man or trap. More than conquerers."

Stepping over the threshold he goes to the table and pushes the skulls at arms length with his sword.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#228 Post by Bluetongue »

Harker

"Quall with me. We will check that end eastern door."

The warrior hears the hissing. Maybe it is an alarm call sounded off when the room is entered and answered by guards of some type (snake men? Ghouls?).

He grabs the sledgehammer and a couple of door spikes in case we need to hold some group off a round or two.

sirravd

#229 Post by sirravd »

Sorry, the description of the noise was unclear. I meant to say that, while it sounded far-off, it also sounded like it would have been very loud to anyone nearby.

The skulls appear to be those of humans, or at any rate humanoids, and polished in some mundane way. There appears to be nothing else within the chamber.

Do you want Quall to spend 1 turn doing find/remove traps + 1 turn listening?
Last edited by sirravd on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#230 Post by Bluetongue »

okay. Let us search & rob this room together as PC's and we could use Quall at the next door further along with Mal observing both directions in the corridor.

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#231 Post by Hadarai »

Brother Blaive

Not seeing any large stone objects dropping from the ceiling he will step into the room with his torch alongside Harker and Quall to assist in their searching for treasure and to check for snakes.

sirravd

#232 Post by sirravd »

sirravd wrote: Do you want Quall to spend 1 turn doing find/remove traps + 1 turn listening?
I meant with respect to the eastern door.

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#233 Post by Lance »

I am thoroughly lost as for who's where doin what :D Can someone make a map?

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#234 Post by Bluetongue »

[img]
17f46b50-10e7-44a4-9c75-cd739c9366bb.PNG.png
17f46b50-10e7-44a4-9c75-cd739c9366bb.PNG.png (121.93 KiB) Viewed 761 times
[/img]

We began in the room on the left.

Skeletons in room behind door at top of first corridor.

2nd south door .... rodent sounds

2nd north door opened to 20x20 and table of skulls

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#235 Post by Bluetongue »

Harker

Okay just so we don't waste 20 mins at each door.
Endor, Hector, Jacor, Blaive search room.

Harker, Quall, Mal check out far east door and the last north door.

Any trouble we all come running to each other.

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#236 Post by Lance »

Bluetongue wrote:
17f46b50-10e7-44a4-9c75-cd739c9366bb.PNG.png
We began in the room on the left.

Skeletons in room behind door at top of first corridor.

2nd south door .... rodent sounds

2nd north door opened to 20x20 and table of skulls
Thank you!

sirravd

#237 Post by sirravd »

Endor, Hector, Jacor, and Blaive spend a turn searching the northern room, but find nothing.
During the same turn, Mal listens at the far east door while Quall looks for traps. As an elf, I'll give her a 1-2 chance to hear stuff, if anything. Neither notices anything unusual.

This marks the sixth turn, so you rest.

During the seventh turn, Endor et al. keep searching, but still don't find anything.
Mal, meanwhile, listens at the north door, finding nothing. Quall, however, notices a wire snaking from the doorjamb into the door...Unfortunately, his attempt to carefully remove the wire fails.

Turns elapsed: 7

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Bags up the shiny skulls. Anything like gold false teeth in them? He rattles them in his hand. Maybe one has a coin slot and it is used as an ancient piggy bank?

"Okay, one more go searching this room and we're done. One of you search the flagstones for a hidden niche, another tap that east wall, I will do the north.""

He takes a dagger to tap on the walls, looking behind any picture frames, tapestries, odd bulges. Stones that look slightly different colour to push, twist, pull, bop.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#239 Post by Bluetongue »

Harker

In the corridor with the npc pair. It must go something like:

Quall "ah a thread of metal. It twists abd loops like so. Just give me a minute I think I can loosen it to free the mechanism ... oops!

Harker waits with anticipation. The mercenary thief comes highly recommended so he hopes investing the party funds in his skills proves a good choice. When the wire clicks, but not positively (Harker can tell by the sudden look on Quall's face), he draws his sword and takes a step back.

sirravd

#240 Post by sirravd »

Stirling wrote:Vann Hector
He takes a dagger to tap on the walls, looking behind any picture frames, tapestries, odd bulges. Stones that look slightly different colour to push, twist, pull, bop.
The skulls are empty, and the wall looks fairly homogeneous. But during the next turn of searching, Vann Hector notices a stone stud about 1' from the ground. He pushes it, and the wall swings open, revealing a rectangular chamber 20' (north-south) by 10' (east-west). An emaciated corpse is sprawled across the center of the room.

Fear spreads across Quall's face after his botched attempt to remove the wire, but nothing seems to happen.

Return to “Barrowmaze [LL AEC]”