Chapter 4: In Darkness and In Peril

Inferno
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 4: In Darkness and In Peril

#281 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen arises, feeling more rested than she can remember. As harrowing as the experiences of the last day have been, she feels as though she has learned from them, and will be more prepared when she encounters orcs and their foul lot again.

The elf maiden approaches each of the Dunedain in turn. A soft glow emanates briefly from her hand as she touches first Elbenarin, and then Elbenwin.

Cure light wounds [2d4+1] = 5+1 = 6

Cure light wounds [2d4+1] = 5+1 = 6

Having done that, she readies Baudhring and prepares to set off once again.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin struggles to his feet coughing and clutching his side.

I am unsure of what passed, but I am have no doubt I owe you my life. I only hope that I live up to the responsibility.

Where are we and what is out situation

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Rex »

Rumil

"We left the caves and crossed the ravine, once on the other side we entered another cave and found this lovely place. Our new friend Vindo here was able to lead us away from the orcs. They were searching for us with torches but we seem to have escaped for now. How much longer is anyone's guess."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#284 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco avoids the stares of Gilly as best he can, seeing that she doesnt easily forget a grudge.

He watches as the others are healed one by one, patiently awaiting his turn. When it doesn't happen, he softly pouts into his second helping of his frightful breakfast of rations and elven bread.

"Good idea to keep the fighters standing, I suppose."

He wonders if his reckless antics from the night before has turned the group against him, despite his heroics earlier in the day.

Once the group is ready to set out again, the hobbit leads them back to the cave entrance, checking for danger along the way, for another look outside.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone checks herself and her gear, readying for the day as she finishes her waybread. She places herself near the front as the group heads out.
FA FO

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, The Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Dawn. March 23, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Five. Damp, cold

In a place of chains and cruelty, the elves practice their healing arts with a grace and skill for which their people are renowned.

Vindoboduoc the tamed Wild Man joins the resolute Company. After first breakfast, Folco leads them through the pitch darkness, back to the maw of the wretched orc tunnel.

Dawn comes cold and pale. Alone among the shadow-haunted forest, the Mountains of Mirkwood are not entirely cloaked in thick canopy. The Company feels the wind on their faces and a ray of sunlight pierces the gloom of the cloud cover. Small gifts such as these have great power to lift one's spirit.

With caution, they peer out into the thorn choked ravine. At first they spy no movement. Then the elves see motion at the canyon mouth (between B and D). In daylight, it would be Uruk-hai. A watch has been set to prevent their escape.

The Company is undetected. And the enemy do not begin to suspect their true purpose.

Actions?!

Map:
The white X marks the Company.

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 11/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 26/41
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 20/34
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 13/13, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 7/8, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/12, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 16/31
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 12/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
    Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/19
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 9/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Starbeard »

Vindo looks out into the ravine sourly. "No matter how circumspect our approach, we must ultimately venture out in the open to reach our destination. The uruks may be loathe to follow us in, but there is nothing to stop them from closing in to trap us when we leave."

He scans the scene for further caves, pointing out several (G, I and K J—whoops, K is where we're trying to go!). "Is it possible that some of the caves here connect to each other? If we have nothing but rats to worry about, perhaps we can explore underground and hope to find a way across undetected."
He doesn't sound very convinced himself, but the man has no wish to go climbing bare hillsides in full view of an uruk host.
Last edited by Starbeard on Sat May 23, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#288 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Looks like time for the rangers and burglars to find a path where the rest of us won't alert the enemy to our presence, mutters the dwarf. Whether that's outside or through the tunnels, I'll leave the choice to others.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Rex »

Rumil

"Yes, I agree with Master Glassik. The scouts should decide and plan our way forward."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Urson »

Therone

Therone nods. And what do you tunnelers have to say? Dwarfs and Halflings love the underground- do you have any insights on what we may find?
FA FO

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by wolfpack »

I would be surprised if these tunnels do not connect at some point, so many separate warrens would be non nonsensical.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by hedgeknight »

"Orc warrens don't have a lotta rhyme or reason. Most just burn out other holes and take over...or get goblins to do their digging. My guess is the only way to the halls of the Elfin king is to scurry around the hillside, dashing for the entrance.
According to some,"
she glances at the pale man, "the Orcs and their ilk avoid the place. Makes perfect sense for us to venture there."
Winter is coming...

Scott308

#293 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

The elven stronghold is ancient. Everything else are natural caves or tunnels dug by orcs. They'll be much newer and very unlikely to access our destination. We might be able to get to the next tunnel over by going through the one we were just in, but we'll have to go the rest of the way in the open.

I'm concerned with the reason the orcs won't go there. What do they know that we don't? Getting to the keep may be when we find out what the real danger is.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#294 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco listens to the big folk teeter back and forth before speaking up.

“You do realize that you have a hobbit amongst you, right? We hobbits are well known for our ability to pass along undetected.”

“Orcs won’t be out here in this sunlight, and even our elves needed time to locate the Uruks so far off.”

I will find the path to the elven halls, though I do not know the way.”

Folco starts sneaking around outside the cave, trying to see if there are any paths that connect the many cave mouths. If there isn’t one, he blazes his own.

“Follow behind me if you wish to remain together, but stay low and keep as quiet as possible. If I should perish, you can give my bones to poor Red.”

As he starts to sneak away towards the next cave mouth, (I) he whispers one final warning to his friends

“Stay behind me......at least 6 feet away.”

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin listens and follows the groups decision as he continues to return completely from his near death experience.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone stays in the cave mouth, intently watching the brushy valley below. If she sees any activity that suggests the Uruks have spotted Folco and any other scouts, she'll head toward tunnel C and start shooting.
FA FO

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by Rex »

Rumil

"We should have a plan for what we will do if we are spotted or at least someones lead to follow so we don't get split up."

Scott308

#298 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Glasik will stay toward the back, knowing almost everything in Middle Earth is sneakier than he is. I didn't forget about you, Folco. You were one of the burglars I mentioned, he mutters.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#299 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen follows the hobbit, with Baudhring at the ready. She stays at least 6 feet behind him at all times.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by Starbeard »

Vindo takes his place behind Tinuwen. "If we are spotted, run. At least there is a chance they refuse to follow us into the elven hall."

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”