OOC I

dmw71
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC I

#161 Post by Darklin2 »

My main issue is not knowing what bonuses to apply to the rolls and where they come from.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#162 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:59 pm My main issue is not knowing what bonuses to apply to the rolls and where they come from.
Again, I would encourage you to focus on the "what" your character is attempting, not the "how."

Example:
  1. The player describes what they want their character to do;
  2. The DM considers the attempt and:
    • Describes what happens; or
    • If the outcome is uncertain, the DM could call for a roll:
      1. What ability score (e.g. str, dex, con, int, wis, cha) best matches the task being attempted?
      2. Does a specific skill also apply?
        • Each skill is tied to a specific ability (e.g. Strength (Athletics) or Intelligence (Arcana)), so if you're not proficient in an applicable skill, just the ability score (from step 1, above) applies;
        • But, if the character is proficient in the specified skill, they're also able to add their Proficiency Bonus.
      3. Does the situation call for anything else? Advantage/Disadvantage? Cover? Etc...
  3. The DM shares what they believe to be the best roll to determine the outcome of the declared action, based upon the previous step.
  4. If there are any questions, they can be discussed (e.g. Charisma (Intimidation) or Strength (Intimidation)?) before the outcome is determined.

In a live game, the above can be worked through in a couple of minutes (as opposed to a couple of days, or longer) in games of this format, but --
  1. The more clear or descriptive the player is in part 1, above;
  2. The more accurate the DM can be in parts 2 and 3,
  3. And the less debate will be necessary in part 4.

Bottom line: Focus on being as descriptive as possible in this step:
The player describes what they want their character to do;
  1. What precautions are you taking?
  2. What do you touch? Avoid?
  3. How do you position yourself?
  4. Etc...

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#163 Post by Darklin2 »

Ok I will be more specific and detailed with what I am doing. I guess that should be the norm for a thief that is playing with traps that could kill him. Guess I was getting to tied up in the mechanics.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#164 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:16 pm Ok I will be more specific and detailed with what I am doing. I guess that should be the norm for a thief that is playing with traps that could kill him. Guess I was getting to tied up in the mechanics.
Please don't think my previous posts were directed at you, specifically. It was meant to be a more general request/suggestion to any player, in any role-playing game.

Details help. :)
-- Project --
-- DM --

RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#165 Post by RiverGreenForest »

Is everything ok? I haven't seen an update for a while, just making sure everyone is alright.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#166 Post by Darklin2 »

Still Here.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Marullus »

Still here. There's a lot of stress and burnout going around right now at the one-year mark of things Pandemically. I closed more than one game when the guilt at not updating it was more than I could bear.

Dave, you do what you need to do. I know I'm happy to wait until you can get to updating. Just post that you're okay, and know we care.

I'll just leave this here for you.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by ybn1197 »

Still here as well.
Marullus wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:27 pm Still here. There's a lot of stress and burnout going around right now at the one-year mark of things Pandemically. I closed more than one game when the guilt at not updating it was more than I could bear.

Dave, you do what you need to do. I know I'm happy to wait until you can get to updating. Just post that you're okay, and know we care.

I'll just leave this here for you.
Definitely stress and burnout. A good many people working in our clinics are dealing with the depression that goes along with that as well, including myself. But I am here and okay.

RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#169 Post by RiverGreenForest »

I'm glad everyone is doing ok. I've been busy with school since it's getting close to finals week so I'm a bit stressed and pressed for time to finish my machining project. But besides that I'm okay and I'm still here.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#170 Post by dmw71 »

Apologies for the disappearing act there for a bit. I'm not even sure if I can explain it? It, I'm sure, was a combination of many factors.

I can't remember the state of my games, but I will work to update both over the weekend.
-- Project --
-- DM --

RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#171 Post by RiverGreenForest »

No worries, just wanted to make sure you're alright. :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#172 Post by dmw71 »

I've been debating this for a long while now (almost a year), but I am going to end this game at the conclusion of this current storyline (e.g. investigating the tower and helping Rumple get the treasure he claims he's due.

I had plans to run five loosely related published modules together as part of a larger campaign, but ending it after the first (which you're in now) seems like the right choice. At least for me.

The urge to run a more hardcore 5e game has been intensifying of late, and I'd really like to start fresh with a new set of much more challenging rules. There are two people you can "thank" (or "curse") for formally tipping my decision from unsure to, "yeah, it's time...":
  1. Profession Dungeon Master of the 'Dungeon Craft' YouTube channel. I've only gotten into his channel recently and it is absolute GOLD!
  2. Kelsey, from the Arcane Library is still beta-testing a new set of rules called Shadowdark that she is creating and will be releasing under the OGL. I am still reading through them, but like a LOT of what I'm reading. Here is how she describes the games in her own words:

"This game is Dungeons & Dragons how I play it. It pulls classic themes from Basic/Expert D&D, modern math from 5E, and even has influences from a host of other TTRPGs with cutting-edge design (most notably ICRPG!)."

A more hardcore game may not be in everyone's interest, but everyone in this game will be guaranteed a spot in the new game once it starts -- if they want.

Apologies in advance to anyone this will upset or inconvenience.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#173 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:07 pm Thrydwulf had a ready action to hit it as soon as it appeared and looked threatening, roll already posted:
Glaive [1d20+6]=17+6=23[1d10+4]=7+4=11
The way the scenario played out, this will not happen.

If anything, the ooze would have had a surprise round and a "free" attack against Tova before settling into the adjoining room. I didn't just do this (e.g. surprise) because Tova had a natural 20 on his Perception check. It wasn't good enough to be able to make sense of something so unexpected and predicting the door was going to essentially liquify, but it was enough to prevent himself from being an easy target.

He was very lucky.

-- Project --
-- DM --

RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#174 Post by RiverGreenForest »

Aw, bummer! The campaign is done?

Well dmw71, I had fun while it was going. But if need be, Talmond the Brave will always be happy to join you on your adventures. :D

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#175 Post by dmw71 »

RiverGreenForest wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:00 pm Aw, bummer! The campaign is done?
No, not yet.

You guys still have a fair bit to still get through (this adventure I'm running is -- it's a little bonkers). But, once you reach the end of this module, it's curtains.

It'd be great if you join the next game and get more experience. It wouldn't be with Talmond (different character generation rules and all that), but it'll be a fun game (and likely a deadly one if combat is the default reaction to every encounter).

This module... and why I'm thinking it's kind of bonkers, it's because every encounter in this tower has been unique, but very, very strange.

Not a lot of room for anything but combat.
-- Project --
-- DM --

RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#176 Post by RiverGreenForest »

That's fine. I jumped in during the middle of it I believe so I don't know what's going on. But I'll be more than happy to join in on the next campaign! :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Marullus »

Awww shucks! This guy has been a hell of a lot of fun.

I am happy with whatever you want to run, Dave. :)

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#178 Post by Darklin2 »

Well this is the 2nd 5E Game that has turned to shit. i am done with it.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#179 Post by dmw71 »

RiverGreenForest wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:57 pm But I'll be more than happy to join in on the next campaign!
Cool, I'm glad you'll stick around. If you're looking for an OSRIC game, the hardcore 5e game I have plans for will be... eh... well, the two editions aren't that close, but 1e is the more deadly of the two editions, but hardcore 5e might compete with it. I can promise you, it will be a challenging game.
Marullus wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:05 am Awww shucks! This guy has been a hell of a lot of fun.

I am happy with whatever you want to run, Dave. :)
All of your characters are well thought-out and creative. I'm sure you have more in you. ;) There will most likely be fewer options to choose from, and expect magic to behave differently than it does in... well, in any edition of D&D... and many other changes. It should be a lot of fun!

I'm definitely going to be flexing some homebrew muscles which, historically, I'm not notorious for doing. That's about to change.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#180 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:10 am Well this is the 2nd 5E Game that has turned to shit. i am done with it.
I'm addressing this response separately.

I do not -- at all -- appreciate having multiple games of mine described as having "turned to shit." I've been ruminating over your response since I first read it hours ago and ultimately decided that, you're right, you are done with it.

Thank you for playing, and for giving 5e a chance, but you are no longer welcome in this game. Or likely any other game I run in the future.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Adventures in Manor Hills (5e)”