Session 0

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Session 0

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Session Zero
Please use this topic to discuss the group bonds requested in the house rules. It can be as simple as Bob and Joe previously fought side-by-side in a battle... but I encourage everyone to really go for it! Provide some details. Create some stories. Add some flavor to the game.
  • Are there any loose threads?
  • Do you have incomplete business?
  • Are there things you still want to do?
  • Etc...

I can (and probably will) be using these details to weave into future stories for the group to undertake.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session Zero

#2 Post by ravenn4544 »

Greetings!

Any preference for character/classes? I'm flexible. Did a 5e sorcerer before and that's a cool class for anyone and good opportunity for ranged damage. I'm open to whatever.

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Hadarai »

I was considering a Paladin or Sorcerer myself, I admit when I saw Dragonborn and Warlocks were restricted I began picturing a character. :lol:

I'm still up in the air on what race my character will be, with that floating racial stat house rule I've got some stuff to consider.

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Hadarai »

Sorry for the double post but I decided on a Wild Magic Dwarf Sorcerer for my character, I'm thinking perhaps a former soldier.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#5 Post by Scott308 »

I've played a bunch of 5e, and have had characters of most classes and races, so I am definitely flexible. I'll let the rest of you come up with your combos and I 'll pick something to round out the group- which probably means cleric. :lol:
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ravenn4544 »

I was just checking it out and i'll do a cleric type if that works - there are lots of options there. I like the forge domain at the moment...

Scott308

#7 Post by Scott308 »

Cool. I know earlier editions nobody seemed to want to play the cleric, but they are a lot more well-rounded this edition. Not just heal-bots. Having a cantrip or two that can cause damage means they don't have to feel bad if they use all their spell slots on healing.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by ravenn4544 »

started to build character. Tova a dwarven cleric. need to flesh out some areas but getting started.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

Where is everyone in the character creation process? Hadarai is the only one I see who's joined the campaign on D&D Beyond.
-- Project --
-- DM --

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by ravenn4544 »

I’ll check tomorrow as I created mine on that site but it must not be linked to your campaign there.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:I’ll check tomorrow as I created mine on that site but it must not be linked to your campaign there.
Thanks, man. This --
dmw71 wrote:Where is everyone in the character creation process?
-- was more a general hint that there's progress to be made before we can get started here.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#12 Post by Scott308 »

I was waiting to see what ybn was going to play before I started my character. Fortunately, I can crank out a character fairly quickly so I shouldn't slow things down.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ravenn4544 »

Hey Dave - i don't see how I link the character i created to this campaign in D&D beyond. Can you kindly remind me?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

I re-sent the PM with the invite link. Let me know if you have any issues or questions.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Hadarai »

I just to share what I have so far, here's Floki Darkeye Dwarven Sorcerer and former soldier.

My basic idea for Floki is that after suffering a horrific magical attack during a battle with a fey beast that almost wiped his unit out, Floki has been left badly scarred on the left side of his face along with a missing eye.

Whether the attack had awoken something in his blood or he had been cursed by the beast, Floki has become afflicted by chaotic magical energies that he his beginning to learn to channel so the he doesn't become unstable and a threat to his loved one's.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

I'm starting to see a couple of individual ideas come in, and I'm exicted to see how you start to pull things together.

Hopefully you guys aren't too annoyed that I'm forcing this exercise on you.... but, speaking of forced-upon exercises, I have another one. I won't make it required, though (but it would be really helpful).

What is your character's long-term goal? Or ambition?
  • What did they dream about as a child?
  • When choosing their profession (either background or class), what was their "big picture" idea or motivation?
  • From a meta standpoint, where do they hope to see themselves (or what do they hope to have acquired, or accomplished) by the time they reach the different tiers of play, or at levels 5, 11, and 17?

It could be as simple as:
  • They want to have a million gold pieces.
  • They're obsessed with owning a particular magic item.
  • Maybe they want to create their own magic item? Or spell?
  • Maybe they want to rule a kingdom? Or just acquire enough wealth to be able to settle down and retire.

I would love to be able to draw from these aspirations to create different scenarios and have you guys work towards what you're actually interested in..

If this "motivation" detail is something that interests you as a player, and is something you want to provide for your character, definitely feel free to do so. :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Hadarai »

Sounds like a cool idea! I'll try to come up with some ambitions for Floki to shoot for.

Scott308

#18 Post by Scott308 »

OK. I made a halfling ranger, then when I saw my character sheet, realized he's going to die quickly. His movement was 5' due to low strength and being heavily encumbered. Sooo...I have dropped a good chunk of his equipment and swapped his strength and charisma stats. Still not very strong, but that extra 10 pounds will allow him to carry a second water skin so he can get a full days worth of water, and now he can carry 5 days of rations instead of two. It did cost him his scale mail, so he needs to save up to afford studded leather.

I made him a soldier, so I'm thinking he served with Floki- not at the battle with the fey creature but they knew each other from their time serving even though they were in different units.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:OK. I made a halfling ranger, then when I saw my character sheet, realized he's going to die quickly. His movement was 5' due to low strength and being heavily encumbered.
To everyone:

What is your opinion of the variant encumbrance rule? I did play around with it a bit when dabbling with different characters and did find it pretty prohibitive. I'm all for the hint of realism in a fantasy game, but not if it is going to distract from the fun.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by dmw71 »

Food is heavy, and it is something that I am tracking (see the 'Rations and Resting' house rule).

Per the above comment, my own observations, and other feedback received:
  • Let's go ahead and change the 'Encumbrance Type' from "Variant Encumbrance" to the "Use Encumbrance" option.

I will update the 'D&D Beyond: Character Sheet' topic to reflect this.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Previous Adventures”