5e Rule Questions?

dmw71
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

5e Rule Questions?

#1 Post by dmw71 »

I want to keep 5e-specific questions separate from the anything-goes OOC topic so they can all be grouped in a single place. I don't know how much (or how little) experience you each have with 5e and don't want to assume everyone knows every rule. Or knows all the rules correctly.

If you have any -- literally, any -- questions about how something works (e.g. rule mechanic, class feature, racial ability, spell effect, etc...), don't hesitate to post them here.

---

Questions and Answers
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: 5e Rule Questions?

#2 Post by dmw71 »

Copying this question here for the benefit of everyone since the character sheet in D&D Beyond can take a bit of getting used to.
Darklin2 wrote:I am trying to sell my rope and torches and buy a Hooded Lantern and 4 pints oil and a hand ax. How do I go about changing the equipment I currently have??
You can remove an item completely or adjust the quantity of a particular item with the options at the bottom of the item details when you expand it:
Torch.png
Torch.png (62.2 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
Now, there isn't a "sell" option, and the tool won't know if you're just reducing the quantity because you've used it (or given it to someone else), so you'll need to manually add/remove any coins earned from the sale (remember, items can only be sold for 50% of their sales price).

Let me know if that helps.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Darklin2 »

Got it. Thanks.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Darklin2 »

I have changed my mind and wish to go with the Elven Wizard I have created.

Question. How do I know how many spells I have in my spell book that I know??

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote:How do I know how many spells I have in my spell book that I know??
Here you go:
Wizards: [b][url=https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/phb/classes#WizardSpellcasting]Spellcasting[/url][/b] wrote:Cantrips
At 1st level, you know three cantrips of your choice from the wizard spell list. You learn additional wizard cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Wizard table.

Spellbook
At 1st level, you have a spellbook containing six 1st-level wizard spells of your choice. Your spellbook is the repository of the wizard spells you know, except your cantrips, which are fixed in your mind.
Then there's this:
Preparing and Casting Spells wrote:"You prepare the list of wizard spells that are available for you to cast. To do so, choose a number of wizard spells from your spellbook equal to your Intelligence modifier + your wizard level (minimum of one spell)."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Darklin2 »

So do I need to leave the Campain with the Dwarven Cleric to bring in the Wizard or is that something you will do? I have never used D&D Beyond before. Roll20 and Unseen Servant only.

Loran Siannodel is my new character name if you need it.

Do we start with any feats?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote:So do I need to leave the Campain with the Dwarven Cleric to bring in the Wizard or is that something you will do? I have never used D&D Beyond before. Roll20 and Unseen Servant only.

Loran Siannodel is my new character name if you need it.
I have removed your cleric, but you will need to revisit the invite I sent and join with your wizard character.
Darklin2 wrote:Do we start with any feats?
Only the Variant Human race begins with a feat.

I will allow characters of any other race to take a Feat instead of their Ability Score Improvement; which are typically received every four levels (e.g. wizards receive them at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th levels).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Darklin2 »

What is the benefit of using an Arcane Spell Focus?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote:What is the benefit of using an Arcane Spell Focus?
Essentially, I believe all it does is replace spell components.

I'll double check later tonight.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote:What is the benefit of using an Arcane Spell Focus?
You can select either a spell component pouch or an arcane focus as part of your starting equipment.

The different arcane focus' have their own category in the equipment list:

Arcane Focus
Arcane Focus.png
Arcane Focus.png (85.09 KiB) Viewed 4048 times

Under the details for Material Components, it reads:
"A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in chapter 5, “Equipment”) in place of the components specified for a spell."
So, yes, if you have an arcane focus, it will satisfy the material component when casting a spell (unless the material component listed for the spell has a cost listed, like Chromatic Orb, which requires that you actually have "a diamond worth at least 50 gp" listed as an item in your inventory.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Darklin2 »

Ok, So I took a Component Pouch. Is a Spell Focus something that can be made later?

I chose Leather working tools and Skill as a skill. Is it possible to have Bowyer/ Fletcher as a skill or is that limited to the book choices. If possible I would like to change it.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote:Ok, So I took a Component Pouch. Is a Spell Focus something that can be made later?
Sure, why not? It's listed as equipment so I don't see any reason why you couldn't purchase one later.
Darklin2 wrote:I chose Leather working tools and Skill as a skill. Is it possible to have Bowyer/ Fletcher as a skill or is that limited to the book choices. If possible I would like to change it.
I did a bit more digging and found, in Xanathar's Guide to Everything, there's a section on Tool Proficiencies.

In it, the Woodcarver’s Tools allow you to craft intricate objects from wood, such as wooden tokens or arrows. While a bowyer and fletcher are different skills, the woodcarver's tools are probably the closest to what you're looking for, so feel free to select that instead.
I don't see how woodcarver's tools would assist in fletching, but, hey, whatever. It specifically states you can create arrows using those tools, and the fletching is part of an arrow, so why not?
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

By the way, I also found this list during my research of the bowyer/fletcher question:

None of them are built into the character builder tool used to maintain your characters, so we can't use any of them specifically, but it was a decent list to give you a few other ideas for specialties. If something in that list captures your interest, try to pick the existing toolset that most closely resembles it. The previously mentioned Tool Proficiencies list is really helpful in this regard.

But, as always, feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Darklin2 »

dmw71 wrote:By the way, I also found this list during my research of the bowyer/fletcher question:

None of them are built into the character builder tool used to maintain your characters, so we can't use any of them specifically, but it was a decent list to give you a few other ideas for specialties. If something in that list captures your interest, try to pick the existing toolset that most closely resembles it. The previously mentioned Tool Proficiencies list is really helpful in this regard.

But, as always, feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Cool. Same price and weight as Leatherworking tools. So I'll just make a note.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote:Same price and weight as Leatherworking tools. So I'll just make a note.
Can you actually change the 'Tool Proficiencies' in the character sheet?
Description Background.png
Description Background.png (118.51 KiB) Viewed 4038 times
I just realized the above only captures the drop-down for the background (which isn't changing), but the 'Tool Proficiencies' option is just below it.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Darklin2 »

Yes. I selected Leatherworking tools. It is a drop down for me. If you select it and move off to the right and click it populates all the traits, eyes, hair, tools, and skill.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote:Yes. I selected Leatherworking tools. It is a drop down for me.
Right.

If you want to be a bowyer/fletcher instead, switch from your Leatherworker's Tools to Woodcarver's Tools.
Woodcarver.png
Woodcarver.png (113.76 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
-- Project --
-- DM --

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Thanks for the clarity on tools. I don't seem to have the option for tools under my background. I do have Tinker Tool proficiency as a Gnome so I added them to my sheet. Also, I thought the sheet was managing the coins/equipment, but now see it isn't. I was spending my 10gp on adding a donkey, cooking tools, and warm blanket (mostly for the RP purposes) - but does he need a special proficiency to use the cooking tools? It's kind of superfluous - will the donkey be an unhelpful hinderance?

As a note, he doesn't have both Quarterstaff and Staff. I figure his "Driftwood staff" is both a spell focus and weapon and wanted it to show both ways (since I don't know what I'm doing or how to calculate things!)

Question #2: How are Hit Points calculated? Following the directions, it calculates as 1hp. (EDIT: Nevermind. I see it says max HP for first level.)

Question #3: Between sub-class and background, he is fluent in both Primordial (to talk to the spirits of the wind and waves) and Deep Speech (the deep ones beneath the waves). He has another language option available for whatever scholarly or important element the game is going to use - is there something the DM or others want to feature? (I assumed Draconic, Infernal, Undercommon?)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote:I don't seem to have the option for tools under my background.
Are you looking at the Druid or Sorcerer? I should be able to take a look at either/both later tonight, but given how much I have on my plate right now, it'd be easier to focus on just the one you're learning towards.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Enoch »

I took Hslfling just because I figure they like the finer things in life, right? A good party, a bit of drink, etc.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Return to “Adventures in Aberdeen (5e)”