Rules Questions and Other Chatter (Xoth)

tibbius
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Rules Questions and Other Chatter (Xoth)

#1 Post by tibbius »

Post em here.

Setting: World of Xoth.

5e Core Rules.

Better of 4d6c1 x 6, or {15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8}, arrange to suit then apply cultural bonuses. (Remember "human" does not get +1 across the board, everybody's human.)
Last edited by tibbius on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Rules Questions and Other Chatter (Xoth)

#2 Post by ravenn4544 »

Just a heads up that I'm out of town tomorrow and next day and will get my character up and running asap.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

I will think some on background/history. Open to suggestions and tie ins to other characters.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Question on spells.

I see the cultist spell list. Are the druid and warlock spell lists the same as default? Minus the forbidden spells, of course.

Are there no wizard, bard, sorcerer, paladin, or ranger spells?

If I wanted to take the magic initiate feat, are only the cultist, druid, and warlock spells available?

Also, does the spell goodberry work? How about the feat healing?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by tibbius »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Question on spells.

I see the cultist spell list. Are the druid and warlock spell lists the same as default? Minus the forbidden spells, of course.

Are there no wizard, bard, sorcerer, paladin, or ranger spells?

If I wanted to take the magic initiate feat, are only the cultist, druid, and warlock spells available?

Also, does the spell goodberry work? How about the feat healing?
Yes.

Correct.

Yes.

Yes - note also the druid's "Defiler" type healing ability. Yes.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by tibbius »

from a book I have but don't want to use all of

Sinister Presence (1st level): Warlocks are loathed and feared by most. At 1st level, the warlock has already entered a path of study which sets him apart from normal men. Accordingly, once per encounter, the warlock may loudly declare his name and pact ("I am Iknabhatan, servant of the Old One Luassi"). All who hear and understand the declaration must make a Wisdom save (DC 8 + warlock’s proficiency bonus + warlock’s Charisma modifier). Those who fail the saving throw are unable to act against the warlock for the duration of the encounter. However, if the warlock physically attacks or obviously casts a spell on an affected creature, that creature is immediately free to act against the warlock.

Permanent Sinister Presence (10th level): At 10th level, the warlock does not need to declare his name or pact in order to exercise his Sinister Presence. His demeanor (unless he disguises himself, DC 5 + warlock’s level) utters the nature of the otherworldly evils he embraces, so that those who see him cringe in terror and must make a Wisdom save (as above) in order to act against him during the encounter. If the warlock physically attacks or obviously casts a spell on an affected creature, that creature gets to make another saving throw.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Very cool, if you don't mind what book? I may want to use it in my game I am starting up for FTF.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by tibbius »

It's lifted from the Spider God's Bride, which is a sizable tome of adventures set in Xoth. Available from xoth.net publishing.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by ravenn4544 »

is there a campaign ID we should use to link our rolls?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by tibbius »

ravenn4544 wrote:is there a campaign ID we should use to link our rolls?
Yes. It's campaign # 807.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by ravenn4544 »

I would like to trade my stats rolls w/ Rex's :).

I'll rearrange these but here are the numbers. I'm thinking fighter type....

Stats: STR:11, INT:11, WIS:5, DEX:15, CON:9, CHR:8

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ravenn4544 »

Yeah - was thinking an Ikunan Degenerate (barbarian) if that fits the group.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by tibbius »

We're looking at a Civilized Bhangari Monk, a Degenerate Ikuna Barbarian, and some kind of Cultist. All of them were protegés and now are putative heirs of the late Akhtesh Behruz, a well-travelled merchant who originally trained as a cartographer. They're in Belthaar to settle their mentor's estate. How did each of them get there? How well do they know each other already?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Thanks for the info, I will hold off since I don't want to mess up a potential adventure. That set I rolled is crazy good, I haven't rolled anything that good in a long time. I think you can take the standard array instead Ravenn, I thought I read that somewhere anyways.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by tibbius »

Would like to adapt a rule from Barbarians of Lemuria: helmets give +1 AC, but impose a penalty on initiative (maybe omit the proficiency bonus). What do you all think?

Oh. Should have mentioned, I have a long-standing house rule to give Fighters their proficiency bonus on Initiative DEX check.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by ravenn4544 »

was there an easy way you cut and pasted your char info from d&d beyond or did you use some other format?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

I am fine with your house rule. I was thinking of trying to get the details into D&D beyond but not sure on some things.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#19 Post by Scott308 »

Crap! I didn't see Ravenn was going to create a barbarian. I'll redo my fighter and make it a rogue instead.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by tibbius »

Just a reminder that Xoth is a low & difficult & dark magic setting, so NPC and PC abilities will be accordingly limited.

Thanks for getting character sheets up! Looking forward to playing with all of you.

From the characters we have so far I'm going to venture that you all will be meeting for the first time at the reading of the will, each coming from your own lodgings. Please take a look at the brief description of Belthaar ... once we are ready to go live, I'll put up a first post that doesn't railroad you all into the same path to the castle, and will request now that each of you narrate your character's journey to one of the palace gates.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “World of Xoth (5e)”