Session 0

dmw71
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Session 0

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Session Zero
Please use this topic to discuss the group bonds requested in the house rules. It can be as simple as Bob and Joe previously fought side-by-side in a battle... but I encourage everyone to really go for it! Provide some details. Create some stories. Add some flavor to the game.
  • Are there any loose threads?
  • Do you have incomplete business?
  • Are there things you still want to do?
  • Etc...

I can (and probably will) be using these details to weave into future stories for the group to undertake.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Session Zero

#2 Post by kalstone »

What are people thinking about character classes? I'm pretty flexible.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

I prefer Fighter, Cleric/Druid or Monk. I am leaning towards fighter but tend to prefer clerics of some sort. Maybe wait and see what others want to go with.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

I went half orc fighter sailor. Still needs some background stuff, and connection to another player.
Attachments
half orc warrior.jpg
half orc warrior.jpg (46.71 KiB) Viewed 5009 times

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Monsieur Rose »

I'm thinking of a charlatan Bard. Plenty of opportunities for overlap with others.

He is always working the angles and is looking for the next big thing. In the meantime, he spends his time working his way into people's good graces, acting on stage, and selling people snake oil.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Sounds good, we should be able to tie a sailor to that easy enough.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by kalstone »

Sounds like we have a fighter, bard, and wizard. I will probably play a cleric/druid type, to be determined by what the campaign ends up looking like.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Looks like a good mix to me.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Darklin2 »

I went with an Elven Wizard instead of the Dwarven Cleric.
63a683a18c29edf7790e9adb48e6d2c5.jpg
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

kalstone wrote:I will probably play a cleric/druid type, to be determined by what the campaign ends up looking like.
I can just as easily model the direction of the campaign after the party's eventual makeup.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

By looks anyways she should fit in fine with the Half-Orc.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by kalstone »

I've created a half elf outlander druid, Wyreth.
Attachments
Half-Elf.png
Half-Elf.png (584.25 KiB) Viewed 4977 times

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

Where is everyone in the character creation process? So far, I've seen that Rex, Darklin2, and kalstone have joined the campaign on D&D Beyond.

Rex: Half-Orc, Fighter
Darklin2: High Elf, Wizard
kalstone: Half-Wood Elf, Druid
dmw71 wrote:"kalstone: Half-Wood Elf"
Regarding this, only "half-elf" is available in the Player's Handbook, which is what I want to limit the options to. The half-wood elf variant comes from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide which is a source I'm not allowing.
SCAG.png
SCAG.png (27.87 KiB) Viewed 4931 times
I took care to detail how to set the options to use in the character sheet in my 'D&D Beyond: Character Sheet' topic. Under #5, Race, I specify that "Player's Handbook" needs to be set in the 'Filter Race Source(s)' option to see all available options (except Tiefling and Aasimar). Also remember, Dragonborn are allowed, but are viewed with suspicion.
I do love D&D Beyond, but it's extremely frustrating that they didn't include the character builder when they implemented their first pass at content management.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

I was waiting a bit longer than I am going to try to make some connections with other characters.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by kalstone »

Whoops, sorry. Missed that step. It should be fixed now.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote:I was waiting a bit longer than I am going to try to make some connections with other characters.
That's totally fine. That was more just a general hint that there's still progress to be made before the game can get started.
kalstone wrote:Whoops, sorry. Missed that step. It should be fixed now.
Thank you!
-- Project --
-- DM --

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by kalstone »

So just some general thoughts on my character Wyreth to get us started.

He was orphaned at an early age when a band of orcs destroyed his village. He fled into the woods and was forced to fend for himself. He became a skilled woodsman, befriending animals and living off the land to survive. As he grew older he lived on the margins of the villages at the edge of the woods. He traded with the villagers, giving them furs and herbs he gathered in exchange for what the forest could not provide. Eventually, a cruel group of villagers would begin to torment him, forcing him to move on to the next town. This has left him distrustful of people, and he prefers the company of animals.

Wyreth is forced to make do with clothes he has scrounged or traded for. The clothes he wears currently are too small for him. This, combined with his youthful looks, make him seem like an overgrown child. He is normally kind and gentle, but the sight of an orc sends him into a blind rage.

I suppose he could have come across Monsieur Rose's Bard in some frontier village. Wyreth took a liking to him and started following him on his travels.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Meet Rocco Wynns.
rocco.jpg
rocco.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 4849 times
Named after his father, a famous wizard of the land. Always wanted his son to follow in his footsteps but unfortunately, Rocco isn't as magically inclined as needed. Rocco lives knowing he will never measure up to his father. Sometimes he succeeds. Sometimes he fails. Sometimes he doesn't even try.

He's spent years grifting and conning people, getting rather good at it. He doesn't usually spend too much time in one place, for obvious reasons. He's working on something big right now, something that is game-changing. His alter ego makes buildings and loves the theater, spending time in the city away from the grifter that is Rocco.

His sister is the wizard that his father wanted him to be, resulting in the appropriate amount of resentment.

I like meeting Wyreth at a frontier town. Possibly he helped Rocco escape from a mob. Rocco is grateful and sees the benefit of a lookout. Being outside the norm of civilized folk, Rocco has no hangups or prejudices.

Other possible connections: Kari worked at the docks where Rocco may have had some less-than-legal goods smuggled in. It depends on how open Kari is to bribes.
Loran went to school with Rocco's sister. He's always had a crush on her and is jealous of her wizarding abilities. Maybe an ex?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Kari is open to bribes, she is a half orc sailor after all.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Darklin2 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Meet Rocco Wynns.
rocco.jpg
Named after his father, a famous wizard of the land. Always wanted his son to follow in his footsteps but unfortunately, Rocco isn't as magically inclined as needed. Rocco lives knowing he will never measure up to his father. Sometimes he succeeds. Sometimes he fails. Sometimes he doesn't even try.

He's spent years grifting and conning people, getting rather good at it. He doesn't usually spend too much time in one place, for obvious reasons. He's working on something big right now, something that is game-changing. His alter ego makes buildings and loves the theater, spending time in the city away from the grifter that is Rocco.

His sister is the wizard that his father wanted him to be, resulting in the appropriate amount of resentment.

I like meeting Wyreth at a frontier town. Possibly he helped Rocco escape from a mob. Rocco is grateful and sees the benefit of a lookout. Being outside the norm of civilized folk, Rocco has no hangups or prejudices.

Other possible connections: Kari worked at the docks where Rocco may have had some less-than-legal goods smuggled in. It depends on how open Kari is to bribes.
Loran went to school with Rocco's sister. He's always had a crush on her and is jealous of her wizarding abilities. Maybe an ex?

Give your sister a Name and I'll run with it.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

Return to “Adventures in Aberdeen (5e)”