BS

Monsieur Rose
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: BS

#81 Post by Zhym »

Round 1 of this was lots of fun. What are the odds of Round 2 happening? :)

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Yeah, I just looked at the last dates and to my horror, I found it was two months ago. That was never my intent and I apologize to you all.

Thanks for prodding me.

Yes. I'd like to do a round 2. Using the complicated system in UA. The posting rate will be more than once every two months.

I have some ideas of location floating around. But I'd like to get some feedback from you guys.

-pirate ship-to-ship combat (I'd have to figure out a good reason why people aren't using bladed weapons)
-prison break
-gladiatorial games
-somewhere else properly dramatic?

Does anyone have a preference or a new idea?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Rex »

I am good with anything but the prison break sounds cool.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Zhym »

What would a fine, upstanding young lad like Lug be doing in a prison? ;)

Those all sound fun, though I have to say I'd love to see a pirate brawl.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by max_vale »

I am of course in for further adventures....and personally, I LOVE the idea of the ship boarding action!

As for why no bladed weapons.....how about the two pirates are rival Clerics (of some Nautical, Swash-buckling Gods) and DEMAND (for the honor of their God) that no bladed weapons can be carried....so lots of clubs, belaying pins, slings....etc., etc. Just a thought!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Zhym »

Or maybe it's a "friendly" scrum between two rival pirate crews, who are happy to beat up on each other for fun, but are on good enough terms that killing each other would be poor pirate etiquette?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by tibbius »

The Pirate Games? First event: overtaking. Second event: competitive boarding. Third event: drinking.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Zhym »

tibbius wrote:The Pirate Games? First event: overtaking. Second event: competitive boarding. Third event: drinking.
I like it!

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by max_vale »

Third event: drinking WHILE walking the plank that was JUST swabbed!

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Oooh. I like it. Naval exercises.

Ok then. Let's do ship to ship combat, with a red team and a blue team. All of you will be on the same team.

I'm going to try to post the combat rules tomorrow.

My plan is for you to keep the same characters, but you can alter them according to UA rules. So thief-acrobat is now allowed.

Dave is unable to join us for round 2, so what do you think of opening it up for others? I can post another cattle call.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Rex »

Its fine with me.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Ok. I've posted a quick overview of the UA rules. It's much clearer and easier than 1e, but I may have some typos.
I'll post a new recruit message and get this going soon.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sorry about the delay everyone. I've fallen into the trap of perfect being the enemy of good, and I've finally realized it. I've decided on which ship map to use, and should get this going very soon.

In the meantime, please feel free to jump into the fight with Rogg. Dwayne can take it.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by max_vale »

Sorry, I've been neglecting this game (this whole site really)....apologies! I re-made Evan as a Thief/Acrobat (only assuming you could be one at level 1 vice having to wait until later to to do it....I re-posted his stats in the 'Combatants' thread....let me know if it works for you)....and put a post up in the current "pirate" thread.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Zhym »

Sorry about the delay on my end, too. I hadn’t noticed the new thread.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sorry about the delay. Life.

I'm working on things and should get it up Thursday.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Zhym »

If Ryany is able to land a blow on Lug, then Lug's counter-attack gets disrupted.
I'm not as up on AE rules. Is there an attack Lug can use that isn't dependent on whether his oppoenant successfully scratches him first? ;)

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Zhym wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:52 pm I'm not as up on AE rules. Is there an attack Lug can use that isn't dependent on whether his opponent successfully scratches him first? ;)
It appears that none of the three unarmed attacks in UA are free from that limitation. :( They specifically state that if the attacker takes damage in the round that they try to grapple/overbear, the attempt is canceled. The Pummeling rules are a bit better, but not by much. They state that if the attacker takes damage from its target in the round, the attempt is ruined. Both grapple and overbear don't even place a limit on the source of damage.
Both weaponless combat rules in UA share the same concept.

That said, since I'd like to try to stay by the book as much as I can, there may be some options.

Fight dirty and gang up on people.
Pummeling gives a +4 penalty to initiative, negated if attacking someone from behind.
Grappling gives a +1 penalty, faster to tackle someone, I guess.
Overbearing has no penalty.

Let me do this: I can start rolling initiative each round, instead of just at the start of combat. Everyone's initiative will vary from round to round, giving a better chance for slower npcs and pcs to catch a break.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Zhym »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:30 pm Let me do this: I can start rolling initiative each round, instead of just at the start of combat. Everyone's initiative will vary from round to round, giving a better chance for slower npcs and pcs to catch a break.
I imagine that would help a lot. :)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Rex »

Sounds good to me.

Return to “The Octagon (D&D)”