Chapter 1: The Righteous Go Free

Marullus
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: The Righteous Go Free

#181 Post by Stirling »

Clough

Feigns sickness and starts retching and puking. "Aaargh my body is poisoned. Euwwgh, I've got the shits, I wish I was stronger and juicier like the others, Aaargh! I'm old and full of disease, syphilis rots my loins and gangrene taints my innards. Aaargh!"

He hopes the troll firstly understands common and secondly decides not to put me out of my misery.

The rogue rolls away from the troll steps .

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Rex »

Ganna

Ganna will try and have Tabbi search the gear for a knife and have her bring it to her.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Marullus »

Pulling forward some posts from the last page...
Marullus wrote:You hear the wheezing of the troll and the flapping of its feet on the stone, the crunch and scrape of bone and trash as he trods on it or kicks it aside. You can hear that he moves with a significant limp, one foot delayed and dragging, and realize that the Troll is Injured from the fight. "Nasty boggits," it mutters to itself in the darkness, "Burns, they did. Roasts them. Sees if they like it," it grumbles. You hear it is dragging and clattering things together into piles. Its stomach growls audibly; it is Hungry. That doesn't bode well for you as his newly acquired snacks...
Marullus wrote:The troll approaches, exiting the alcove and passing by the pile of gear on its way to where you are trussed. Clough crouches by Cu Aislin, having chosen him first to be woken and untied, and loosens the ropes for him to slip out. He whispers in the dark to Ganna, hoping for some witchcraft to aid them.

Haar awakens, whispering in his fear to the others. The troll is only a few steps away as the halfling 'morsel' lies closest to the alcove. Haar can hear the footfalls of the limping troll, smell its odor... He needs to think quick before the troll picks him up.
Current action...
Rex wrote:Ganna will try and have Tabbi search the gear for a knife and have her bring it to her.
Tabbi sneaking past the troll [1d6] = 2[1d6] = 3
Troll observation [1d6] = 4[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 5[1d6] = 6

It is easy for Ganna ignore her own blinded senses in the darkness, casting herself to and through the eyes of Tabbi the cat. She prowls through the dark and Ganna helps Tabbi pick out a dagger from the pile next to the rushlights. Tabbi takes up the hilt in her mouth and tries to drag/carry it across the stone to where Ganna is without catching the troll's attention. The cat, however, is not so lucky. "Eh? Whatchoo doin'?" says the troll, startled as the knife clinks on the stone too nearby its feet. The troll brings down its foot hard, stomping the cat! Tabbi yowls and hisses, Ganna's senses snap back to her own eyes at the blinding flash of pain. There is a skittering of cat claws on stone as Tabbi flees at top speed and dives under some detrius. Ganna empathically knows she is hurt, but still alive. (Bad luck. Tabbi gets the Injured condition.)

Clough feigns sickness and starts retching and puking. "Aaargh my body is poisoned. Euwwgh, I've got the shits, I wish I was stronger and juicier like the others, Aaargh! I'm old and full of disease, syphilis rots my loins and gangrene taints my innards. Aaargh!" He hopes the troll firstly understands common and secondly decides not to put me out of my misery. The rogue rolls away from the troll steps.

"Food don't talk!" bellows the troll as an imperative command, further distracted by Clough's outbursts. Between Clough and the cat, the Troll is distracted from its approach, giving Haar a moment's respite to enact a plan.

Session 1, Turn 10. Seventh turn of Adventure Phase.

Party: Clough (Hungry, Afraid), Tancred (Hungry, Afraid), Haar (Hungry, Afraid), Ganna (Hungry, Afraid), Cú Aislin (Hungry, Angry, Afraid), Grimm (Hungry, Afraid)

Freed: Clough, Tabbi, Cu Aislin

Actions!

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Stirling »

Clough

Well at least the troll communicates in common. Is there anything else Cu might know about the pool that could aid us? Clough asks in whispers, rolling in the dark to Haar and takes an action to untie his binds.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Marullus »

Holding for Haar's action. Also good for Cu Aislin and Tancred to jump in.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#186 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Tancred lies quietly, but not without subtle movement. He's using his spurs to try to saw through his bonds. He's thinking that this has to be done, we cannot fail this, and it's the only we I can get everyone out of this situation. He hopes he doesn't break them, but it is something that can be sacrificed, spurs can be replaced easily; comrades not so easily.
Using Steadfast Trait to gain +1 dice.
If he needs to and is able to he will spend a Fate point to reroll 6's - using his Staying in the Shadows-Wise to get the rerolls. And he wishes he had a Persona point left to tap his Nature.
Criminal 2D
Gear bonus +1D using spurs
Steadfast Trait +1D

A few seconds of working on my ropes and they silently part, leaving me free.

Criminal: [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 5

3 successes vs Obs 2

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#187 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Haar, still absolutely terrified but feeling his bonds loosen, stands up and moves away from the others and tries to get the trolls attention. Hi Mr. Big and powerful owner of this cave, I am sure you have eaten many adventure seeking types before, but have you experimented with all the types of seasonings one can use. I'd be happy to show you some of my favorites if you have the time?

Ok so looking at that beginner's luck on persuader:

5D for will/2 = 3D plus 1D for adventurous trait for 4D
[1d6] = 2[1d6] = 3[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 4
Just for fun I'll spend a fate for my needs a little salt wise
[1d6] = 4

Awesome! So 3 total successes. I'll comment below the GM post for narrative flow.
Last edited by shroomofinsanity on Tue May 05, 2020 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Marullus »

The troll stops, confused. He never had food ask to advise on how best to cook itself. He sticks a finger in his nose, picking it thoughtfully while he considers.

Convincing him to untie you and give advice to cook you is a Persuader contest (you are totally honest!) - your roll vs his 4D roll. Needs a little salt wise and your Traits are good. You already spent your Persona point so can't tap nature. You can either roll Beginner's Luck on Persuader or you can roll Nature 4D if you role-play within your riddling nature.
Troll [1d6] = 1[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 2[1d6] = 3
so, beat one success!

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#189 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Hey, I see have your attention. Now I'm just a wee morsel myself, but I've prided myself on cooking all manner of beast, plant, and on the occasion things more dangerous. If you let me down I would be happy to show you how I cook all manner of things, and even how to preserve the leftovers to help tide you over between fresh food. For instance have you ever used garlic in your cooking, I almost forgot about it, the most important of spices I assure you! What do you say? Haar blathers all this out as fast as possible before the troll can come to his senses, sweating profusely as he hears his allies start slipping away.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by Marullus »

I will allow an exception that Tancred's roll and Clough's roll both to get free with Criminal only take up one turn for the Grind.

While Clough unties Cu Aislin, Tancred the cavalier shows his own creativity in situations outside the law. He saws vigorously at his own ropes with the spur on his riding boots until he is able to snap them and slip free. He gropes about on the stone to get his bearings as well.

Session 1, Turn 10. Seventh turn of Adventure Phase.

Party: Clough (Hungry, Afraid), Tancred (Hungry, Afraid), Haar (Hungry, Afraid), Ganna (Hungry, Afraid), Cú Aislin (Hungry, Angry, Afraid), Grimm (Hungry, Afraid), Tabbi (Injured)
Opposition: Troll (Injured)

Freed: Clough, Tabbi, Cu Aislin

Haar tries to get the trolls attention. "Hi Mr. Big and powerful owner of this cave, I am sure you have eaten many adventure seeking types before, but have you experimented with all the types of seasonings one can use. I'd be happy to show you some of my favorites if you have the time?"

The troll stops, confused. He never had food ask to advise on how best to cook itself. He sticks a finger in his nose, picking it thoughtfully while he considers.

Hey, I see have your attention. Now I'm just a wee morsel myself, but I've prided myself on cooking all manner of beast, plant, and on the occasion things more dangerous. If you let me down I would be happy to show you how I cook all manner of things, and even how to preserve the leftovers to help tide you over between fresh food. For instance have you ever used garlic in your cooking, I almost forgot about it, the most important of spices I assure you! What do you say? Haar blathers all this out as fast as possible before the troll can come to his senses.

"Cook fix sylph-less?" the troll says, looking dubiously in the direction of Clough's outbursts. It reaches down and snaps the rope around Haar like it was twine, setting the halfling free. It appears curious about the offer of improved food, particularly as it doesn't negate cooking the teacher. Achieving your goal of release by the troll and working to buy your companions time, you continue to prattle. Before long, a cook fire burns outside the alcove in the far wall, casting its illumination over the group's mounds of metals, gear, and in the alcove - food. You make quick work of a fresh ration from the pile in the alcove - likely the lizard you collected earlier - as demonstration. The troll crunches the results, contemplating. (-2 fresh rations [or lizard], remove Hungry condition from Troll and Haar.

In the meantime, Tancred and Clough make quick work of untying the remaining party members. They still have their clothes but their packs, sacks, pouches and weapons have been pulled off and mounded at the troll's larder. Ganna has her red riding cloak, pendant, and wand. Grim has his jade necklace. Clough has his cloak, hat and harmonica, not to mention the handcuffs still dangling from his left wrist. Tancred wears his helmet. Cu Aislin has his torc, woven crown, and deerskull mask. Tabbi limps back to Ganna's side.

The light of the fire increases the hazard of reacquiring gear but makes the darkness beyond bit safer... that's where the other crouch, contemplating a plan. The pool lies at your right, in the middle of the room, the embedded sword and other mysteries of its depths shrouded until the dawn light. The maze of caverns behind you - dangerously perilous with no lights and no gear. The faintest hint of light in the hole in the ceiling, though... daylight may some return to the world above...

Session 1, Turn 11. Eighth turn of Adventure Phase.

Party: Clough (Hungry, Afraid), Tancred (Hungry, Afraid), Haar (Afraid), Ganna (Hungry, Afraid), Cú Aislin (Hungry, Angry, Afraid), Grimm (Hungry, Afraid), Tabbi (Injured)
Opposition: Troll (Injured)

Freed: Everyone

Actions! Note: This action triggers the Grind again.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#191 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Still feeling an intense mix of fear and exhilaration but a little more satiated thanks to the ration. Haar busily surveys the area looking for any fresh or overlooked ingredients. (instinct trigger?) He also continues to prattle on to the troll to give his allies all the time they might need. Did you know just how many things you wouldn't even think of can enhance a flavor? the most ordinary root or plain looking leaf can add that touch of zest to a dish. Why don't you show me what you have sitting around here, I haven't been deeper in the cave yet, maybe you are sitting on a flavor goldmine without realizing it...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Marullus »

The damp cave around the pool, where natural light eminates from the waters, is a treasure trove for delicate flavors and ingredients. Lichens, mosses, clinging orchids, and more dot the stone walls in tiny patches and splotches.
Alright - Scavenger test! Anything edible (i.e. one portion of forage) here is Ob 2. Herbs or minerals to improve your Cooking (give a +1D to your cooking test) is Ob 3. Something to give a +1D for Healer or Alchemist is Ob 4. (Making something to apply a condition or effect to the Troll is Alchemist and not Cooking.) Go ahead and roll and narrate.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#193 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Tancred

While the brave halfling distracts the troll with menu plans, and hoping he will draw the troll over to an area with "edible" lichens away from the main cave, I'll quietly untie anyone who isn't free.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by Marullus »

I included you and Clough doing so above; everyone is now free. Next ideas?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Stirling »

Clough

"Cu, can you swim to the sword in the stone. Maybe the mysteries of this place will favour the blessed over us more carnal mortals?"

He makes a suggestion. Not sure what else we can do without weapons.

Clough remembers a story of a brave halfling who entered a tower of orcs alone. His shadow behind him cast huge silhouettes on the spiral staircase causing the orcs to think a monster was present. Could Ganna manipulate a similar illusion? Anyone good at finger puppets?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Rex »

Ganna

Whispering, "I can't do illusions but I can make 3 of us look like someone else, maybe other trolls?"

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#197 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Haar digs deep down to steel himself through his fear for this important look for ingredients (hidden depths 1D) Now let's see what we have back in this corner... Haar pulls the trolls attention away from the entrance to give his allies the best chance to do what they do.

[1d6] = 3[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 6 ok, gonna burn another fate to explode that 6: [1d6] = 3 sadly my explosion failed to bear fruit.

Look here, we have this bat that is perfectly edible by itself, but if i use my personal garlic and tenderize this thing just right not only can i make it a tasty snack, but i can even preserve it so you can eat it between adventurer raids on your home.
Haar begins to take the bat over towards the troll's cookfire as slowly and dramatically as possible, just making a show of it all.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Marullus »

That's a success on the ob 2 test. If the next action benefits from the troll's distraction, it gets +1D.

Having ensnared a now-captive audience, Haar lures the troll to the far edge of the firelight. The pair is capturing a handful of tiny bats - perhaps enough for an appetizer or mince pie - as Haar prattles on about their delicacy. (+1 fresh ration - "bat carcasses")

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#199 Post by Enoch »

Cu whispers to Ganna as he edges nearer the pool, "maybe something that eats trolls? Is there anything like that?"
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Marullus »

*bump*
Next action?

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”