Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 2

atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 2

#101 Post by atpollard »

I deliberately left off at a point with the group together and several different directions to choose from.
1. You have a hint to explore the Tanner's Farm (#15) from the Mason (#54)
2. You have a strange object that may be a key to the door near the Grogg and Tankard (#19)
3. You have some curious information about the house for sale and its former owner (#2)
4. Most of you are covered in some combination of dirt, sweat, blood, soot.

... of course being PCs, I never exclude the possibility of some completely unexpected course of action. :D
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

Jacques smiles at those convened outside Elmer's house. "Well now. That was an eventful hour. You all look a mess." He holds out his hand and chuckles. "I suppose I do too. We should clean up a bit before getting back into town. It would give us a bit to chat on the recent developments, as well."

He looks up at the house. "I don't think that man would mind. Since he owes you his life and all. Let's go in and wash up." Jacques heads up the stairs. "Hey Jo! Maybe you should clean up before jumping into that peapod and getting it all dirty." He lowers his voice. "And bring that thing. Let's keep it close and not broadcast it."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Zhym »

Doc Routledge tries to wipe some of the soot off his coat, but just smears it around with his sooty hands.

"I agree. Let us get cleaned up and discuss our next move." Intrigued by the possibilities of the magnetic pole, he leaves "somewhere in private" unsaid.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Urson »

Jo

Yes, a hot bath would be wonderful. I must return the boat I comandeered to its owner. I can take a couple of you along. I'd suggest meeting at The Grog in an hour.

Jo doesn't care who. She will be appreciative of any rowing help.
FA FO

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#105 Post by AsenRG »

"OK", Remy agrees, whille dispatching the rest of the lizards. "A bath...sure sounds like a nice idea. But if that thing is a key, shouldn't we test it first? The farm is going nowhere, far as I can tell. And if those things are related, we just might get at the farm from a direction they don't expect."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Urson »

Jo
Josephine arches an eyebrow. Really, sir- there are limits.
FA FO

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Zhym »

Doc Routledge fights mightily to avoid rolling his eyes. Jacques's advice not to broadcast what the key is was solid. Then Remy starts talking about the key right in front of people! Some folks just don't grab hints when they're throw right at them.

"We can talk more after we have cleaned up," he insists.

sirravd

#108 Post by sirravd »

Philip wants nothing more than to rest. He decides to draw himself a bath, whatever the other people say.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 2: Shift 2: Hour 5:00

#109 Post by atpollard »

[Sorry for the delay in responding. COVID-19 is wreaking havoc on schedules. Still healthy, but every day brings new regulations at work.]

Philip Ancalagon, Mercutio Routledge, Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Samuel Linkletter & Josephine Baxter-Smith (in Grogg and Tankard [near #19])
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 2: Shift 2: Hour 5:00 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Boats were returned. Patients were resting. Baths were finished. Clothes were clean. Some had even made time for a short nap.

Five bells sounded from the city tower. At the Grogg and Tankard, the lunch rush was past its peak with the dining room thinning out. The staff was getting caught up with clearing off the tables from the earlier rush. Dr. Linkletter had checked on Urs, his patient resting upstairs, and learned from Fist (the guard) of a private room on the second floor.

Thus, that the group came to be gathered in a large private room on the upper floor to enjoy lunch (on Jacques purse) … and conversation … in privacy. Josephine had brought some Brass Polish and the key now glistened in the center of the table.

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#110 Post by AsenRG »

Remy nudges the key thoughtfully...
"So you think this thing could open a door in that place? I'd like to see that."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Zhym »

Doctor Mercutio 'Mac' Routledge

"Awfully convenient, that key showing up no long after we were stymied by our inability to find a key. Still, I am keen to try it out."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Urson »

Jo

When you're running with the current, don't ask why. I'll be going back to that hidden door we found, to see if this actually is the key.... But I suspect the remains we found it in are the gentleman you were chasing.
FA FO

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#113 Post by AsenRG »

"Hmm...I wouldn't exclude that. Can anyone remember how fresh the bones were?"

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#114 Post by atpollard »

AsenRG wrote:"Hmm...I wouldn't exclude that. Can anyone remember how fresh the bones were?"
They were clean bones with no trace of flesh on any of those visible above the surface. A detailed investigation was not made at the time, so more data would require a return for another look.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Urson »

Jo

I'm afraid I don't know- but I don't recall seeing any blood-soaked mud. I am probably wrong about whose bones they are.
FA FO

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

After a nice shower and a good meal, Jacques is feeling much better. "That house for sale intrigues me. A place to stay, in private, has its benefits. I think we should move on that, after looking at the property first, of course."

The conversation about picked over bones doesn't sit well with his lunch, so he demurely stays out of that one.

He relates the warnings the mason gave and the tips about the farm nearby. "Something rotten is going on here, more so than I thought. That key may be the answer. I suggest we go try it before something tries to prevent us from doing so."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Urson »

Jo

Yes, if we plan on forming a Trade company- or anything else- we should have a headquarters. Perhaps _that_ should be our next stop. I wouldn't want to buy a pig in a poke- or a rotted shell of a house, either.
FA FO

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#118 Post by AsenRG »

"I'd say that the cave should be our next stop. And then the farm. No need to buy a house here before we have an idea what's actually going on on this island...", Jacques cautions them.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#119 Post by atpollard »

Philip Ancalagon, Mercutio Routledge, Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Samuel Linkletter & Josephine Baxter-Smith (Secret Door in woods [near #19])
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 2: Shift 2: Hour 6:00 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

The group stood before the mysterious door and watched Remy eagerly insert the strange brass key into the hole. Turning it resulted in a series of clicks, like a clockwork set in motion and the door slid back into the wall about an eighth of an inch. Remy pushed and the door slowly swung back to the right. From its motion, the door must have weighed thousands of pounds, but it must also have been counterbalanced to pivot so easily. It was no small feat of engineering.

The door stopped leaving a 3-foot-deep alcove with a 2-foot diameter perfect cylinder hole in the floor. Looking down the hole, its walls were smooth except for hand and foot holes carefully cut into the rock to form a sort of ladder. Approximately 100 feet below, a tunnel continued Southeast from the vertical shaft. A close examination revealed grinding marks where the cylinder had been mechanically bored out of the rock.

[assuming the group enters, which sort of seemed the point … pick a marching order because the tunnel is single file and state any actions. For the sake of argument assume you have 200 feet of half-inch rope with you at the moment.]

Using the Carbide Lamp to light the way, the group descended the stone ladder and discovered a keyhole inside the shaft at the top of the ladder.
If you use the key:
The door closes and latches.
At the bottom of the shaft, a more conventional tunnel sloped downward. The passage was only three feet wide and five feet tall, requiring the party to stoop over as you made your way along. Approximately every 5 feet, the tunnel was reinforced with heavy timber posts and a lintel. After traveling roughly 150 feet down the passage, you arrived at water’s edge. The passage continued but the floor was covered with water beyond this point. You stopped to evaluate your options.

Back the way you came was dry. An examination of the walls revealed a stain mark 3 feet above the current floor which suggested that the flooding was variable and might be tidally influenced. If it was tidal, the water would only rise each day you waited and it would be many weeks before the next low tide. Scanning ahead, the passage continued another 30 feet and opened into a larger chamber.

With some concern, you decided to travel at least the 30 feet to look in the larger chamber. The man-made tunnel led to the north wall of a natural cavern. The chamber was 12 feet north to south by 20 feet east to west. The ceiling was 35 feet above you and had a small natural hole in the center that appeared to open to another chamber above it. The floor varied from 4 to 15 feet below you, but you were currently standing in 10-inch-deep, crystal clear, ice cold water where the tunnel entered the chamber. There were multiple passages leading out of this chamber:
NE: A 1-foot ledge submerged just below the water surface led along the north and eastern wall of the chamber. Ten feet to the east and 30 feet above you, a low, wide passage led Northeast.
SE: Following the 1-foot ledge east and south led to a pair of passages heading Southeast. The lower passage was completely submerged. The main passage sloped upward to the Southeast and was dry.
SW: In the Southwest corner, across the lake, an alcove to a vertical shaft led up.
W: A large completely submerged passage led due west from the bottom of the lake. A large dry passage led due west from the chamber 20 feet above the surface of the lake.
NW: Following the 1-foot submerged ledge to the west along the north wall, led to a partially submerged passage on approximately the same elevation as your current passage.

Now you have some options!
Last edited by atpollard on Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:34 am, edited 5 times in total.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#120 Post by atpollard »

A map to get you started:

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”