Chapter 1: The Wreckage

sirravd

Re: Chapter 1: The Wreckage

#61 Post by sirravd »

Galeschin rolls his eyes and steps to the front of the soldiers, attacking with his handaxe, aiming to kill his foes as they charge him. He should make short work of them, he thinks, and hopefully after a few are decapitated the others will realize not to harass a Riverine man.

[2d6+2 Str+1 Armed+3 Barbarian] = [2d6+6] = 3+6 = 9
Damage: [1d6] = 4+2

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#62 Post by tibbius »

As twenty rioters surge around the group of a dozen soldiers, Galeschin mightily hews the air to no effect. Rus stands braced to receive the charge, but the rioters leave them both unsullied.

Ten of the rioters attack the seven soldiers armed only with shortswords and shields.
seven soldiers with shields and shortswords [1d6] = 4 attack ten rioters [2d6-1] = 11-1 = 10
ten yellow headwraps with light weapons [2d6c1-7] = 6-7 = -1 attack seven soldiers with shields [2d6-1] = 3-1 = 2
The soldiers easily repel them, leaving four on the ground. The numbers now are evened up - six rioters, seven soldiers. The rioters withdraw to reconsider.

The other ten rioters attack the five fauchard-wielders.
ten of the gold party with medium weapons attack five soldiers with shields and fauchards [2d6-1] = 5-1 = 4 [1d6] = 5
five soldiers with bucklers and fauchards attack ten rioters [3d6c1-1] = 8-1 = 7 [2d6c1] = 6
I gave the soldiers a bonus die for using pole arms to repel a charge. It didn't help. Both sides fail, so the larger side inflicts casualties.
The rioters overran the formation, and five soldiers flung away their polearms and fled. Members of the crowd seized the fallen fauchards.

New situation: Rus, Galeschin, and seven soldiers vs. six rioters with light weapons, five rioters with medium weapons, and five rioters with heavy weapons.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Rex »

Rus

Rus will again stand with the soldiers.

Not sure what to rill here so you can go ahead and roll, reminder that Rus has Evasive and Hard to Kill.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by tibbius »

Looking at Rus' trappings, he has a large shield and a bearded axe, which must be only a medium weapon bc he needs a hand for the shield. The large shield gives him and his attackers a penalty on attack rolls, evasive gives his attackers another penalty die on attacks, and hard to kill gives his attackers a penalty die on damage if they manage to hit him.

The five rioters now armed with fauchards came at Rus.
Five rioters with fauchards attack Rus (worst two of [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1 +4, to hit TN 12)
Rus responded by stepping past the head of the nearest fauchard and aiming a slashing blow at its wielder.
Rus counter attacks with bearded axe (penalty for large shield) [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2 +3
He cut the man down.

The five equipped with medium weapons, and two of those with light weapons, went at the seven soldiers.
seven rioters against seven soldiers [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 5 -1 casualties? [1d6] = 6
seven soldiers against seven rioters [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 -1 casualties? [1d6] = 6
The two groups collided in a flurry of blows that left four rioters on the ground, two fleeing, and one standing poised to strike again. Of the soldiery, three fled, three fell, and the captain remained ready to fight.

The remaining four with light weapons assailed Galeschin.
four lightly armed rioters attack Galeschin (small shield) [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2 +4 -1 TN 12 - miss

What does Galeschin do? For an attack he would roll [1d6][1d6]+2 Agi +1 Armed -1 shield

Rus and Galeschin pretty much are invulnerable to the rioters and can slay them pretty much at will ... If you want this to be a bloodbath, it can be.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rex »

Rus

Rus' interest is getting out of here alive, preferably uninjured. He doesn't care about killing or fighting as long as he can obtain his goal.

sirravd

#66 Post by sirravd »

No bonus from Barbarian? Ok.

Galeschin is perfectly happy with a bloodbath. Civilized people who provoke a Riverine man generally come to gruesome ends.

[2d6+2] = 9+2 = 11[1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by tibbius »

Galeschin struck down one of the yellow-headwrapped rioters. The other three fell back, clutching their knives and clubs. They seemed apprehensive of assailing him again.

There was a long-drawn yell "To Bryce!" and a contingent of about fifteen Stahlmen charged across the square wielding clubs and knives, straight into the backs of the yellow party. Moments later "Red! Up the Red!" and a couple of dozen people wearing red cloths twisted round their wrists joined combat with the Stahlmen and the adherents of Yellow. The fracas left Rus and Galeschin and the captain of soldiers standing like rocks, washed but unmoved by its tide of blood and bruises. The rioters trampled over the fallen as they struggled and swung.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by tibbius »

Xacha wrote:Pelias

"One does not simply bleed a king. A failure to observe the proper procedures here might leave us with a vengeful spirit."
As time passed, Pelias unwillingly observed the color of the fluid oozing from the king's veins changed toward a paler hue, more like that of the salted wine that the good Doctor Conte continued to mix and pour intermittently into the funnel dangling above the king's toe. The gnome was unusually not talkative. Pelias wondered what was on his mind.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

sirravd

#69 Post by sirravd »

Galeschin attacks more rioters. On a whim he cries: "For Bryce! For Good King Bryce!"

[2d6+2] = 3+2 = 5[1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6

Xacha
Runner
Runner

#70 Post by Xacha »

Pelias

Pelias wracked his brain. What form of conversation was appropriate when embalming a monarch? Probably nothing, but the silence was oppressive.

He murmured quietly, "I could tell that most of the bodies in the square were killed by the fall from the tower. Is it the same here? I didn't get a good look before the soldiers surrounded the body."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by tibbius »

At that moment, Alessio Conte was facing away from Pelias, up on his toes and intent on pouring a hopefully final batch of the warm embalming ichor into the funnel. His shoulders twitched and he spilled a little of the vinegary-reeking fluid on the small white-and-yellow squares of the tile floor. The high back window of the office let in a little morning light, but the room was mostly lit by the small blue alcohol flame of the alchemical brazier.

"The explosion was terrible," he said. "I was dining at the Silvered Branch with my brother. When the holy tower started flickering, a crowd began to gather in the square. We stood at the edge. That was the first time I had heard of these factions, the red, the green ... the grey. There were chants for freedom, and for a new order under Bryce. Even humans calling on the party of the Sun - at night!" His chuckle was forced. "We were watching the king ascend the stairs. Then, if I saw correctly, someone came down from the tower. They threw him from the steps down to the square. The tower began to ... it began to break apart like a cloud. The humans underneath began to riot madly. Then it exploded. Everything fell from the sky. The humans in the crowd went mad." He looked at Pelias. "No offense. I'm sure you weren't involved. There was looting, and worse. I haven't seen my brother since last night. He's not at his house. But what can you do? A doctor's day is always busy."

In confirmation of the doctor's statement, two gnomes came into the office, one supporting the other on her shoulder. The one being half-carried was half-unconscious and bleeding from a gash across his forehead.

"Doctor," said the female gnome, "somebody hurled a brick at my husband. He's not well."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by tibbius »

Galeschin's mighty swing hewed only the air. Rioters who had been assailing him scattered from before his axe, but those who had been attacking Rus surged back toward Galeschin, wielding staffs and cleavers. four rioters attack Galeschin [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 -1 for small shield +3 for assistance, using medium weapons [1d6] = 4 None were able to harm him as he ably deployed his shield.

Nine of the rioters with yellow bandanas remained ready to fight, although not actually engaged in combat.

Elsewhere, five Stahlmen and four red-bracers fell in the fracas, leaving ten and twenty.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Rex »

Rus

Rus will see if he can get everyone moving. "To the camp, in order, hold together."

sirravd

#74 Post by sirravd »

Galeschin attacks again, then, if he can, disengages and follows Rus.

[2d6+2] = 3+2 = 5[1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by tibbius »

Galeschin's attack, aimed at the nearest (yellow-bandana) rioter, provoked a response. Three of the nine surged forward at each of Rus, Galeschin, and the captain, aiming wild blows. Two of those against Rus, and two against Galeschin, had fauchards (heavy weapons). The rest of the nine held staves (medium) or cudgels (light).

one rabble rioter with fauchard + 2 rabble assistants against Rus [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 + 2 / [1d6] = 6 (TN 11)

one rabble rioter with fauchard + 2 rabble assistants against Galeschin [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 1 + 2 - 1 / [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 1 TN 12

one rabble rioter with stave + 2 rabble assistants against captain [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 + 2 - 1 / [1d6] = 5 TN 10

In a flurry of action, the three companions withdrew unharmed and hastened away down East Street - away from Dr. Conte's shop, and toward the camp of the Fauchardian legion.

= = =

Outside the east gate of the city, the legionary camp sprawled in orderly rows of tarpaulin stretched over poles, each tent square with a pointed top. There were perhaps a hundred tents arranged in a square. At the middle of the square was an open area with a larger tent at one side. The larger tent was decorated with colorful banners. A large group of soldiers were gathered outside it. As the captain led up Rus and Galeschin, the soldiers' confused conversations fell silent.

"The king is dead," said the captain. "We brought his corpse to an embalmer. My detachment was attacked by rioters. We must return to the city in force to quell the disturbance. These men will join us." He gestured to Rus and Galeschin. "Arrange a column of forty with light and heavy weapons, ten with crossbows." His accent was becoming familiar to the Westling and the Riverine.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Rex »

Rus

Turning to Galeschin. "This is going to get ugly."

sirravd

#77 Post by sirravd »

Galeschin nods, though there is a hint of a mischievous smile on his face.

Does he recognize the captain's superior, or have any opinion about him?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by tibbius »

Indeed, Galeschin recognized the ... overcaptain? whom the captain addressed. The overcaptain was cleanshaven and sturdily built, clad in the typical Stahl fashion of undyed woolen tunic and trousers with heavy boots and a short sword at his hip. His name was Robert. He had hoisted many a flagon with Galeschin in soldierly taverns of Moontower, places little like the fashionably tidy but now firestricken Silvered Branch. He was a good fellow, Galeschin thought, and why had he not taken service with the man earlier?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

sirravd

#79 Post by sirravd »

Galeschin steps forward to pledge his service to his old friend, his voice as humble as it ever becomes (which is not very). "If the rioters are not brutally crushed now, the riots will only grow. Perhaps more men would be desirable? No doubt a column of fifty could wipe them out, but we ought to make a show of our strength."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by tibbius »

"Galeschin Rivers!" exclaimed Robert. "A pleasant surprise." His urbane accent and mannerisms indicated a man who intended to rise in the world, quite the contrast to his undercaptain. "Although Captain Einrich has generally a good reputation for tactical acumen, this morning he has returned without eleven men ... perhaps your understanding of the situation could be helpful. How many rioters have gathered?"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Throes of Thran (Barbarians of Lemuria)”