Chapter 1: Greatwall

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

(Northern Furyondy, the citadel of Greatwall, 585 CY, the month of Patchwall, Earthday 6)

The war is over...but not for Iuz.

That is the buzz you have been hearing for the past few months.
The war ended a year ago, and yet the spring of 585 CY was cold and harsh. King Belvor IV attempts to appease his nobles, the famed Knights of the Hart push for a revenge war against Iuz. High Priestess Alethea rules Molag in the name of Iuz, commanding the forces of the Horned Society, seeking egress into Furyondy whenever possible. The Shield Lands suffered extremely during Iuz's rampage. With the Knights of Holy Shielding in Exile, fiends control Admundfort and the lands thereabout. And the Great Old One? Well, he continues to stoke the fires of chaos and evil, consorting with denizens of the lower planes while attempting to keep his unruly rabble in check.

So as you can see, the forces of Iuz are still at work; evil still dominates the north and each of you, in your own way, has answered the call to fight against it. And your travels have led you to Greatwall.

The war has transformed Greatwall from a simple farming village into a stronghold that stands against the dread forces of Iuz. The citadel's defenses have continued to expand during the summer months, and now nearly a quarter of the town's population of 3,900 belongs to the military. You've only been in Greatwall a few weeks, but already you know that Count Artur Jakartai in up against the wall. His people labor 14 hours a day in the fields, struggling to keep the stronghold self-sufficient. Area merchants, those who make the trek, charge up to 300% of normal market price for their goods...but even for that kind of coin, few take the risk. Raiding parties of Iuz cross the Veng River and make regular commerce along the trails dangerous and impractical.
How is Greatwall to survive without the merchants who bring their goods to the citadel? And how are the merchants to deliver their wares safely? That is what, you are told, keeps the Count up at night.

By now, you've had a chance to explore all that Greatwall has to offer...which isn't much. You have also found work in the militia, standing guard duty for eight hours a night without any recognition for your diligence; there is work in the fields and as an artisan in the stronghold; there is no glory in either.
You recently fended off a raid against the citadel, and even though it was a minor skirmish, a drink (or three) afterward was called for. Thus, you sit in The Behir and Beholder, Greatwall's only tavern, taking the chill off the late autumn night...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Welcome to Greatwall, to Greyhawk, and to the game!
Yes, you begin in a tavern...with a chance to introduce/describe your characters and have some general conversation before the shit hits the fan...er, I mean, before the game kicks off.
:mrgreen:
Winter is coming...

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 1: Greatwall

#2 Post by Darklin2 »

A medium build Half-Elf walks into the Behir and Beholder and makes his way to the barkeep. He is dressed in a Dark Forest green cloak and tunic. On the tunic is a Great Oak Tree in Silver thread. He carries a long sword across his back and some type of thigh sheaths strapped to his legs full of throwing daggers. His pack has a quiver built on each side and a long bow in hand. Getting to the bar he speaks.

Barkeep, Do you have anyone in your rooms that are in need of a doctor? I am here for the evening and after a whiskey to wash the dust from my mouth I will see to your injured guests.

He then moves to the closest empty table for his drink.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ChubbyPixie »

The door opens allowing entrance to a rather dashing looking dwarf in reds and blues with a wide-brimmed hat and curled mustache. He carries an intricately painted staff and a no less ornamented drum bearing the symbol of Furondy alongside that of the County of Ulek. He sets them both near the door as he hangs his cloak and hat.

"Blast it, I'll never kill an orc or fell a giant in single-handed combat standing on that boring stretch of wall! There is, I believe, a conspiracy by He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named to straight-up murder me with boredom," he exclaims loudly to no one in particular. Turning, he surveys the room with a self-satisfied smile before striding to the bar. "Ale! Or whatever you have... I'm easy," he says familiarly to the barkeep, in who's company he has spent many an evening.

Drink in hand, the dwarf spies a table with a lone man in a green cloak and invites himself to sit. "Well, don't you look mysterious? Not to mention dangerous," he says good-naturedly, glancing at the stranger's dagger-festooned legs. "I am Kranstön Kranstönson... a pathetically bored drum-playing dwarf. Who might you be? Mind if I join you?" As he asks, he is, of course, already seated comfortably.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

A weathered fighting man watches from the corner of the tavern with a huge sword propped up against the wall behind him. He sits alone, inhaling slowly from his long thin pipe, blowing smoke rings up to the ceiling. Though tired from the skirmish and another successful defense of Greatwall, he knows he couldn’t get any rest until he has had some time to decompress after the battle.

After thinking about his current situation for long enough, he decides to look around for an occupational change of scenery. He notices the odd pairing of half-elf and dwarf sitting together and decides to do something he usually doesn’t. He walks over to say hello.

“Gentle...men...dwarf,” he starts uncomfortably, wishing he would have thought about what to say before he arrived at the table. “I am Montego, perhaps you have heard of me? I was out there with you during the last invasion, cutting down that orc vermin with pleasure. Though, I don’t actually remember seeing either of you two during the fight,” he fumbles through his words a bit more.

“Anyway, I grow tired of this routine. Do either of you know where a good fighter might find a different kind of work? You know, a little change of pace? Something that doesn’t involve a barracks full of 100 other men?”

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Darklin2 »

ChubbyPixie wrote:The door opens allowing entrance to a rather dashing looking dwarf in reds and blues with a wide-brimmed hat and curled mustache. He carries an intricately painted staff and a no less ornamented drum bearing the symbol of Furondy alongside that of the County of Ulek. He sets them both near the door as he hangs his cloak and hat.

"Blast it, I'll never kill an orc or fell a giant in single-handed combat standing on that boring stretch of wall! There is, I believe, a conspiracy by He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named to straight-up murder me with boredom," he exclaims loudly to no one in particular. Turning, he surveys the room with a self-satisfied smile before striding to the bar. "Ale! Or whatever you have... I'm easy," he says familiarly to the barkeep, in who's company he has spent many an evening.

Drink in hand, the dwarf spies a table with a lone man in a green cloak and invites himself to sit. "Well, don't you look mysterious? Not to mention dangerous," he says good-naturedly, glancing at the stranger's dagger-festooned legs. "I am Kranstön Kranstönson... a pathetically bored drum-playing dwarf. Who might you be? Mind if I join you?" As he asks, he is, of course, already seated comfortably.

Well met Master Dwarf. I am Sai Eranthor, Priest of Ehlonna and War Wizard of Ulek. I see you have the Principality of Ulek on your drum. Are you a native? I was with His Serene Highness, Prince Olinstaad Corond of Ulek, Lord of the Peaks of Haven at the battle of Havenhill. Your Dwarf Lord is a mighty warrior. His armor is as strong as his axe arm. Did you make your staff?
It looks great. Should work on mine but I have no skill at carving.

Montego. I have seen you on the walls. I think I can say for all of us that it would be nice to have some thing to do but stand around and watch the Orcs sneak around out of bow range. Maybe we should sneak out and ambush some of them.
Last edited by Darklin2 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Kranstön's eyes go wide in mock surprise. "A Fighting Man, a Priest and a War Wizard?! Why that would make you a...." he begins, when abruptly his mock surprise turns to very real surprise. "Wait. You're not joking? Why that would make you a ...an elf... would it not?... Ahem... Pardon me, I forget myself. I don't wish to be rude, it's just that, well, I thought the elves had deserted us in our time of greatest need. You, clearly, have not." He seems suddenly to forget any harbored doubts."You were there?...what was it like?

To the human man he says "Please, sit. Join us, Montego. The reason you didn't see me on the raid was because someone, apparently, must remain on the wall, even when breathtakingly exciting raids are going on." He seems irritated at the memory of what he clearly considers a personal affront by the bureaucracy of the militia.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#7 Post by Hotgoblin »

Muldgarr Petri

Muldgarr sits at the bar, feeling like he doesn’t belong. He grips his ale tightly and rubs the pendant around his neck, which he found as a child, while lost in the woods. He believes Skerrit, the Forester, left it so he could find his way home. He loosens his burnt sienna colored cloak, drinks down his ale and gives the bar keep two silver. Another ale...

Behind him sit some folks about speaking about boredom and comradeship, he takes a drink of his second ale and reluctantly introduces himself.

The wood elf walks over to the group as he looks over his shoulder, making sure no one is behind him... Uh, yes I heard some talk of restlessness, oh I’m Muldgarr of the Woodland Realm. I don’t get out much and, um hello!!! he stands there staring at them feebly smiling.

Hotgoblin

#9 Post by Hotgoblin »

Muldgarr Petri stares at him and says, feeling more sure of himself... Whatever it would be, you’d never see it coming dwarf!!

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

The doors to the Tavern swing open as a small wiry man bursts through. He rushes to the kitchen door muttering "I'm so sorry I'm late. They kept me over to tidy up. It seems that word of my working here getting out means that I get to clean the barracks as well." He races along taking off his battered old hide armor as he goes, carelessly tossing a long sword aside but gingerly holding a gleaming longbow off the ground.

A few minutes later he comes out wearing an apron and holding a tray with some drinks. He spots the table of irregulars and moves in. "Let's see. A whiskey for Fancy and an Ale for Master Drummer. How about you, Tiny? Need a drink to compliment your pipe?" He nods at the drink in the hand of his fellow elf and comments. "Let me know if you need another, Sir."

He pauses for a moment then narrows his eyes "Hey. I know you all. You're on guard duty as well, right? Did one of you get sick earlier?"

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Darklin2 »

Don't worry about these elves Master Dwarf. I have your back. I am only half elf. My father was a Dyver's Ranger and he fell madly in love with my mother. She was a Highborn in the Court of Celene. They met in secret and I was the result of their meeting. And being elves I was an outcast in their city. So I was raised in Dyver's with my father.

Bring us some bread and cheese to go with this drink. I'll have another whiskey. And don't call me Fancy. Sai is my name.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Hotgoblin wrote:Muldgarr Petri stares at him and says, feeling more sure of himself... Whatever it would be, you’d never see it coming dwarf!!
Kranstön regards Muldgarr in blank surprise for a long moment, then bursts into laughter.

“Fair enough, sir. Fair enough,” he says wiping a mirthful tear from his eye. He holds up is hands in surrender. “I see now I shouldn’t judge by stories I’ve heard. At any rate you lot seem to be fine folk. And we are all in a the same boat by the looks of it. I, for one, do not intend to while away my days standing on a wall. Or waiting tables. No offense, Cassius.

It seems some of you have seen a bit of action, at least. What say you we do as Montego suggests, throw in our lot together and find something more consistently adventurous to do. As a collective of sorts, a party, a troupe even. A band!
he says, smiling at the thought. “I get to be the drummer! Haha!! That’s a dwarf bard joke. Trust me, it kills at dwarf gatherings.”

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Montego tries not to laugh at the dwarfs ramblings, though he does seem quite entertaining. He looks at Cassius with uncertainty before responding. "Ummmmm, yes. Indeed I could use another mead myself. Thank you."

The northern ranger cant take his eye off of the dwarfs drum for some reason, desiring to hear everything he can about it. He looks to Kranston sheepishly.

"So, what is it that you do, sir? When you arent drinking with elves, that is?"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

Cassius has a slight smirk on his face as he responds. "Right. Mead for you. Bread cheese and whiskey for the only half elf. I'm sure you've heard that as an insult from others, how kind to use it as one yourself."

"No offense taken, Master Drummer. One makes do how one can. It would be nice, however, if all these adventurers had ever heard of tips. I may not have the decolletage of a typical bar wench, but I'm just as feisty."

"I'll be back with your orders. Maybe that drum will be shown off when I get back? We haven't had any performers here for a while." He starts to move off back to the bar.

Hotgoblin

#15 Post by Hotgoblin »

Muldgarr
Kranstön regards Muldgarr in blank surprise for a long moment, then bursts into laughter.

“Fair enough, sir. Fair enough,” he says wiping a mirthful tear from his eye. He holds up is hands in surrender. “I see now I shouldn’t judge by stories I’ve heard. At any rate you lot seem to be fine folk. And we are all in a the same boat by the looks of it. I, for one, do not intend to while away my days standing on a wall. Or waiting tables. No offense, Cassius.

It seems some of you have seen a bit of action, at least. What say you we do as Montego suggests, throw in our lot together and find something more consistently adventurous to do. As a collective of sorts, a party, a troupe even. A band!” he says, smiling at the thought. “I get to be the drummer! Haha!! That’s a dwarf bard joke. Trust me, it kills at dwarf gatherings.”
No offense taken drummer dwarf! But, I do agree with you, there is more to be accomplished, than we think!!

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Darklin2 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Cassius

Cassius has a slight smirk on his face as he responds. "Right. Mead for you. Bread cheese and whiskey for the only half elf. I'm sure you've heard that as an insult from others, how kind to use it as one yourself."

"No offense taken, Master Drummer. One makes do how one can. It would be nice, however, if all these adventurers had ever heard of tips. I may not have the decolletage of a typical bar wench, but I'm just as feisty."

"I'll be back with your orders. Maybe that drum will be shown off when I get back? We haven't had any performers here for a while." He starts to move off back to the bar.
SAI

There is no negativity in being a Half Elf although the Elves may think so. I can see in the dark and pass for either race if I accent my differences. I am also liked by the Dwarves far better than most elves. You see Kranston's Prince gave me this for my distinction on the battle field at the battle of Havenhill. he opens his tunic top and spreads it wide for all to see, Yes it is Mithril Chainmail crafted by Elves.

Cassius maybe if you showed more cleavage, maybe your tips would be better. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
b2af12be38f86c6a604fdbda62af26f3.jpg
b2af12be38f86c6a604fdbda62af26f3.jpg (126.4 KiB) Viewed 3431 times

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by hedgeknight »

In Greatwall's only tavern, Greatwall's only bartender, Lorynn, listens quietly to the banter of the young militia men as he washes, rinses, and wipes mug after mug, knowing in a few hours the shift will change and the B&B (as folks have come to the tavern) will fill up with tire, grumpy soldiers just wishing the war would truly end so they could go home or go on with their lives.

When the young war wizard from Dyvers asks him if any of his patrons need healing, Lorynn furrows his brow and replies, "Not in here, lad. P'raps you'd find some over at the infirmary, although I'm guessing Brother Benson and his St. Cuthbert acolytes are managing. Might could use a bit of help though. I heard this last skirmish was a bit intense."
Lorynn pours the young man a whiskey before he goes off to find a table.

The bartender can't help but chuckle as the brightly colored Dwarf strolls in, loud and abrasive as usual. "Evening Kranston," he says as the Dwarf comes to the bar. "Don't forget to pay your tab by week's end," Lorynn says with a wink, pouring the bard a stout ale. He chuckles again as the Dwarf descends upon the unassuming Half-elf.

Lorynn is mildly surprised to see Montego join the pair. Normally the warrior finds an alcove for his pint and pipe. He gives the muscular man a slight nod of approval and grabs a dripping mug from the drying rack.

"Another ale," comes a call at the end of the bar, so Lorynn takes the glass he has just wiped dry, fills it and sits it down in front of the Elf who has been brooding there for nearly an hour. He has glanced at the mysterious fellow several times, noting his worn leathers and well-used bow and sword. And he is surprised when the Elf takes his mug and joins the band at the table.

When Cassius dashes in, late as usual, Lorynn sighs and shakes his head, but doesn't berate the wiry archer. He couldn't get a word in anyway, and besides, once his sister Trilena is done with the lad, there might not be much left to fuss at. So, he fills drink orders, wipes down his bar, smiles and listens...just like he has done for nigh on 20 years.

Cassius takes the orders for the table and is about to move off when the Half-Elf begins speaking of his armor of elvish make. The lad is so interested he doesn't hear the one person he had hoped did not know of his late arrival walk up behind him. Remembering the drinks, he turns to find Trilena glaring at him.

She plops a mug of ale down on his tray so hard it shoots foam up into the air, causing him nearly to drop the tray itself! Recovering quickly, Cassius opens his mouth for an apology but Trilena raises a finger and points it at him...like she has done ever since he came to be employed there. "I don't want to hear one word from your lazy mouth! Once you've finished gawking and gabbing, take this to the table by the fireplace. I've a'ready set two mugs there. I was told to set table for three merchants who are in town from Willip. They should be here any minute. And I swear, if I catch you goofing off..."
She leaves the threat hanging there and with a huff, stomps off toward the kitchen.
Winter is coming...

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

Cassius barely recovers from Trilena's slamming, fortunately only spilling foam from the ale. "Right. Now look what you and your fancy dwarven elven chain have gotten me into." Cassius nods at Sai and winks at Kranstön. "Lazy mouth? Honey, I don't know who you've been talking to, but they were lying. My mouth is quite energetic, in fact, there's not a lazy bone in my body. You see any other guardsmen pulling a shift working here? Hmm?" He says as he starts moving to the fireplace.

The table notices that he says this a lot quieter and with a furtive glance in Trilena's direction.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Montego continues to laugh and drink with his compatriots until he hears that the merchants are about to arrive.

"What did she say about those traveling merchants? I wonder if they are in the market for any armed guards. Might just be our ticket out of here after all."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by ChubbyPixie »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Montego
"So, what is it that you do, sir? When you arent drinking with elves, that is?"
"Ha! No need to call me sir, Montego. I'm a lout. A scoundrel! You know... an entertainer. When I'm not mustering troops, that is,"[/dialog] says Kranstön with a wink. "They have a great use for me in this war, rallying the fighting man! inspiring great and glorious marches!... when I'm not standing uselessly on a wall, that is. So far my talents have been wasted, I tell you. Wasted." He looks mock frustrated, then just as quickly cheers up. "Now as for my free time... why then I'm the best drummer there is in all the County!" He seems quite happy to retrieve his drum and show it off to the others. It's been painted in reds and blues with gold accents, with scenes of Dwarves marching to battle under an Ulekian banner. On the top is painted the heraldry of Furundy in a fine hand. In about two shakes he's unstrapped his mallets from the side and standing, begins tapping out a deft rhythm and begun an impromptu performance.

"One and a half men
Two and a half elves
All sat to have a fateful drink
That is the proper count, I think
But wait one one more!
There near the floor
A dwarf has raised his stubby hand
And vowed he, too, will join The Band
Therewith to travel 'cross the land
To guard a merchant caravan..."

He stops, suddenly. "Wait, really? Traveling merchants? I smell opportunity!" he says.

Return to “Previous Adventures”