IC. Broken Valley Chapter 1: It's all there for the taking

The_Wanderer
sirravd

Re: IC. Broken Valley Chapter 1: It's all there for the taki

#361 Post by sirravd »

Mirwydd prepares to hurl some of his last remaining darts.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#362 Post by The_Wanderer »

Brignum Mai takes mattes into her own hands and carefully ties a rope around one of the spikes. Her first tug doesn't budge the thing but her second, more forceful pull jerks the spike out of its holding place. Her subsequent acting job is award worthy. The remainder of the party hastily prepare the ambush...

With a scraping sound, the lid begins to pivot toward the now open side. The spike holding the opposite side falls free and the lid turns faster. Five gray fingers grip the stone above the iron ladder and a head raises up through the opening. Its jaw is slightly oversized and two large, sharp teeth extend upward from the lower jaw.
You don't really have surprise by the rules but you have prepared an ambush so I'll let you loose one volley before initiative. You are about 25' from the charnel well so that means arrows, bolts and sling stones are in range. I'll roll this attack for characters with those weapons to save time and then when we go to combat rounds and you guys can choose actions/roll for attack/etc.
Nymandus' Crossbow [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5 [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2
Aerik's Longbow (1) [1d20+1] = 16+1 = 17 [1d6] = 3
Aerik's Longbow (2) [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8 [1d6] = 2
Magrin's Sling [1d20+1] = 5+1 = 6 [1d4] = 2
...missiles are let loose as the thing scrambles into the open. A shot from Aerik's bow strikes the thing in the shoulder and it bellows a howl, crouches and lunges at the party.
Initiative: [1d6] = 2; Bad guys win
First undead target: Mai / Egbald / Dying Rabbit / Quellax; [1d4] = 1 = Mai
I'll give you a chance to raise your shield before they arrive
Claw[1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16[1d3] = 2
Claw[1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17[1d3] = 1
Bite[1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21[1d4] = 4

The undead scampers at Mai and tears at her with brutal efficiency. It's first claw is only narrowly turned away by her shield. It's second however breaks the skin of her neck, leaving a purplish black line. It then dives at her arm with its jaw opened and latches on to her arm. She can feel her muscles begin to lock up.
Brutally accurate rolls. 5 damage, Please make 2 saves vs. Paralysis
Another undead reaches the top, climbs out and is now about 15 feet from the party.
Bottom of Round 1, Good Guys
Don't forget Quellax and Dying Rabbit...

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#363 Post by MonsterMash »

Magrin, Cleric

Magrin withdraws up the steps making sure that Bostrum is not blocking the way above. "Time to throw in the torch to send them up in flames" he says as he tries to put in another slingshot.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#364 Post by tibbius »

"The power of Law compels you!" Egbald suddenly shouts, brandishing his shield and mace. "Return to the hell whence you came!"

Turn undead [2d10] = 15

He tries to will the creatures into the center of the oil patch.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#365 Post by The_Wanderer »

MonsterMash wrote:Magrin, Cleric

Magrin withdraws up the steps making sure that Bostrum is not blocking the way above. "Time to throw in the torch to send them up in flames" he says as he tries to put in another slingshot.
Assuming you want to fire...and you have a better shot hitting the one that is moving than the one in melee. I'll also give you a +1 boost for being at a higher elevation. Next time you can roll to hit and damage.
Magrin's Sling: [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12[1d4] = 3
Magrin climbs a couple steps up to get a better angle and lets loose with a stone. It grazes the creature's arm, leaving it unphased and unharmed.

Egbald's holy symbol flashes and a pure white light fills the room, bathing the two undead. The one clawing at Brignum Mai physically recoils while the approaching undead skids to a halt.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#366 Post by ybn1197 »

Nymandus reloads his crossbow. Once the creature disengages with Brignum Mai, he will fire a bolt at it.

Attack: [1d20] = 13 Damage: [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3

StevetheNPC
Scout
Scout

#367 Post by StevetheNPC »

Aerik Winterbrow, Ranger of Law

Exhilarated by the power of Law that Egbald has summoned to the party's aid, Aerik takes steady aim with his long bow, targeting the creature who was attacking Mai, or the second one if the first has fallen, and fires off two arrows.

Long Bow [1d20+1] = 8+1 = 9, Standard Arrow: [1d6] = 6
Long Bow [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19, Standard Arrow: [1d6] = 5

Aerik calls out to his companions, "Get her out of there! Mai, are you okay?"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#368 Post by tibbius »

Egbald tucks his mace into his belt, lunges forward, hooks his free hand under Mai's armpit, and hauls her backward up the steps out of the oil.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#369 Post by The_Wanderer »

tibbius wrote:Egbald tucks his mace into his belt, lunges forward, hooks his free hand under Mai's armpit, and hauls her backward up the steps out of the oil.
You can complete this next round - it's still the same round that you turned undead. She may still make both saves-it's fairly unlikely but possible.

sirravd

#370 Post by sirravd »

Mirwydd hurls three darts, while Quellax goes to engage the creatures with her club.\

For some reason the dice roller won't let me roll...sorry

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#371 Post by thirdkingdom »

StevetheNPC wrote:Aerik Winterbrow, Ranger of Law

Exhilarated by the power of Law that Egbald has summoned to the party's aid, Aerik takes steady aim with his long bow, targeting the creature who was attacking Mai, or the second one if the first has fallen, and fires off two arrows.

Long Bow [1d20+1] = 8+1 = 9, Standard Arrow: [1d6] = 6
Long Bow [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19, Standard Arrow: [1d6] = 5

Aerik calls out to his companions, "Get her out of there! Mai, are you okay?"
Brignum Mai

"Mmmph! Mmmmmmph!"

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#372 Post by The_Wanderer »

The ghoul is knocked back from Mai by the power of Law just as her muscles begin to lock up. This provides Nymandus the opening he needs to sink a bolt in its forehead. It collapses, unmoving.
Aerik is a mere moment behind with a pair of shots at the formerly approaching ghoul. One strikes it in the leg causing it to involuntarily open its mouth.
In a blink, Mirwydd begins chucking darts at the thing...
Sidenote - Looks like your character sheet only shows you having 2 darts - one of the downsides to having me roll! I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though
Mirwydd Dart 1 [1d20+2] = 9+2 = 11[1d3+1] = 1+1 = 2
Mirwydd Dart 2 [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15[1d3+1] = 1+1 = 2
...the first skids along the ground to the thing's feet but the second ends striking true and entering the thing's ocular cavity. It collapses.
Quellax and Dying Rabbit take a step forward but without a clear target, hold back for now.
Mai is paralyzed for...[3d6] = 7 turns
Top of Round 2
Initiative: [1d6] = 3 undead first
Undead target: Egbald / Dying Rabbit / Quellax [1d3] = 3, Quellax
[1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22; Unfortunate. She takes 1 hp damage and 1 level damage.
As those two fall, another undead rises from the well. This one is different. Scorched rags partially cover a body covered by gray-ish black skin stretched over bones. The rags look to be recently burned away. Its eyes are red and show an uncanny level of intelligence. "You may not leave. Araskocos sees and you must stay."
It charges at Quellax and grabs the woman's arm, staring her in the eye. Her arm begins to immediately blacken and a blurred haze exits her body. She collapses. As she does so, her skin continues to discolor and distort.
As if that is not bad enough, yet another ghoul exits the well and is now closing.
The undead that dropped Quellax is standing in the oil, as is the approaching ghoul. None of the party (including Quellax's corpse) is in the oil.
Bottom of Round 2

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#373 Post by tibbius »

Egbald grabs Mai and hauls her up the steps. As he does so, he shrieks, "Light the oil! Light the damned oil!"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#374 Post by MonsterMash »

Magrin, Cleric

Magrin takes up the torch from Bostrum and hurls it into the oil.

sirravd

#375 Post by sirravd »

Yeah, I edited the character sheet preemptively to get rid of the darts, then forgot to edit back. I think I had 4 before

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#376 Post by The_Wanderer »

Continuing Round 2
Egbald drags Mai's rigid body free of the combat area, barking commands. Magrin does as he is told and grabs the torch, tossing it into the oily trap. With a whoosh, the oil catches, lighting the area between the stairs and the wells in a curtain of flame. The wight shows no outward sign of pain but gazes at the party with utter hate as its flesh begins to tear and boil. Everybody can feel the intense heat of the flame as well as a breeze from behind as the stairwell pulls air downward to feed the flames.
Usually oil deals 1d4 damage + 1 point of damage in the second and third rounds if it hits a target. In this case, you guys used 4 flasks to create a nice little trap covering a relatively large area. I'll make it interesting and say that it does 1d4 damage each round for 4 rounds to anything in the oil.
Wight Damage: [1d4] = 4
Ghoul Damage: [1d4] = 1
Bostrum is on the verge of running. He yells over the raging fire, "Should I pull Mai up to safety? Do you need anything of hers to fight?"

StevetheNPC
Scout
Scout

#377 Post by StevetheNPC »

The_Wanderer wrote:Bostrum is on the verge of running. He yells over the raging fire, "Should I pull Mai up to safety? Do you need anything of hers to fight?"
Aerik yells "Yes! Help Egbald!" as he quickly moves toward Quellax's lifeless body, attempting to grab her with his free hand and pull her up the stairs, away from the burning oil and away from any further attacks by the undead menace. As he does so, he looks up at the wrenched wight and shouts in a commanding tone of voice, "Tell Araskocos that we'll see him in hell!"

STR[8] = err Check, if needed [1d20] = 13

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#378 Post by The_Wanderer »

Continuing our continuation of Round 2

Aerik directs the torchbearer up the stairs and then pulls Quellax away from the wight. It cackles as he does so. "She is with us now." It's voice sounds dry and raspy. Quellax' skin is black around the wound. Veins of black pulse beneath like squiggly lines of ink.
For his part, Bostrum is happy to drag Mai to safety. He takes the entire burden from Egbald and retreats upward.
Looks like we still need actions from Nymandus and Mirrwyd (and Dying Rabbit).

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by ybn1197 »

Can Nymandus engage the wight in melee combat without entering the oil?

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#380 Post by The_Wanderer »

ybn1197 wrote:Can Nymandus engage the wight in melee combat without entering the oil?
Yep. In theatre of the mind combat like this, I'm pretty generous. If I don't specifically mention that you can't do something within reason, assume you can.

Return to “Broken Valley (S&W Complete Hexcrawl)”