On the submersible!

SpinwardMarch
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: On the submersible!

#21 Post by Jernau35 »

I should have mentioned that Jrec would casually drop his questions into the conversation, not babble them out like a six year old who has OD'd on sugar.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by ybn1197 »

Madox will make sure that Chiree's anxiety doesn't draw any undue attention from the rest of the crew.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Moving the plot along:
The sub continues its journey towards the southern sea. The remainder of the trip is uneventful, but as you approach the southern islands, the sea becomes rough, and small icebergs are occasionally seen. It is quite cold outside, as you were warned about. The sub finally arrives at the small island of Durios, which has a refueling station and small settlement around it. This will be the last “pit stop” before arriving at the research station. All of you notice Chiree is becoming more anxious as the trip nears its end.

“I hope my nest-mates are still alive. Terrible things are done there.”

When you reach the island, in the distance you are able to see a long, slender column topped with a circular cap. It appears to have globular protrusions sticking out of the column. You are not sure, but maybe in a spiral pattern?

Captain Mirakru tells you, “Well, that is the station. The Imperium would have to put it in the middle of nowhere, in the most miserable part of the sea, wouldn’t it. It is supposed to be shut down, although there are occasionally rumors about it. I have no idea how to get in the thing.”

Actions?
Hint: Talk to Chiree.
SpinwardMarch

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Jernau35 »

Jrec

Jrec shields his eyes as he tries to make out smaller details. He regrets not picking up some binoculars. "I'm usually in favor of the 'kick-in-the-door-and-toss-in-a-grenade' approach. But I can't even see a door."

"Chiree, what do you remember about this place"?

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by spanningtree »

Yes, a difficult place at best. Ringar mumurs after the captains comment.

He will listen to Chiree's response.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by ybn1197 »

Jernau35 wrote:Jrec

Jrec shields his eyes as he tries to make out smaller details. He regrets not picking up some binoculars. "I'm usually in favor of the 'kick-in-the-door-and-toss-in-a-grenade' approach. But I can't even see a door."

"Chiree, what do you remember about this place"?
Madox quietly nods in agreement to Jrec's comment. This sneaking around was pulling his nerves thin. Madox always believed it was easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Chiree listens to your conversation. He answers, I do not know where the ship may enter. I escaped up the center and out to the top. It was a long way down to the water, but I jumped anyway. I did not want to be there any longer. There are many giant balls sticking out of the center; I guess different things live in them. I did not go into them, just out of the ball we were in.

When asked the Captain says he has heard rumors that there is a submirsible entrance to the facility somewhere, but he does not know where. He looks at the group, and asks, Do you have a plan?

Actions?
SpinwardMarch

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar:

Ringar nods at Chiree's response. I guess the plan would be recon that could turn into an entry.... thoughts guys?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by ybn1197 »

Any scuba equipment on the sub to take a more direct look?

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar:

To the captain: Any chance we can get the sub up close to that base?

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Captain Mirakru will tell you that there should be no problem getting close to the station. As far as anyone knows, there are no defenses there. Certainly, as the place is no longer active, we can get close up. I have heard there is at least one water entrance somewhere on it. There has to be a way they brought in supplies. We can sail over there and examine it while in my ship. I would not recommend trying to get in the water.

So you cruse on over to the station; it is not that far from the Durios Island refueling station. As you approach, this is what you see:
researchstationgamma-partial.jpg
researchstationgamma-partial.jpg (24.46 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Above sea level, there is "a slender column topped by a circular cap; spiraling down the shaft is a succession of globular attachments." There are no obvious entrances; globe #3 is near sea level, the top of #4 is seen above the waves.

So what do you do?
SpinwardMarch

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by ybn1197 »

I suggest we approach as cautiously as possible towards globe 4 and then globe 3 to see if either has the entrance.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by spanningtree »

Indeed, my thoughts as well.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Jernau35 »

"That's our best bet", agrees Jrec. "After that, it's some kind of airlock down below, or a long climb up to the top. And I don't fancy either of those."

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Captian Mirakru: Well, I will have the ship approach with caution.

The submirsable motors slowly toward the station. As you get closer, the globes appear to be completely closed.

I hope we can find the entrance easily. I will take her over near that globe just above the waterline.

Mirakru manouvers the sub close to the globe, henceforth to be called Globe #3. You all look at it and observe that it has a small vertical shaft complete with ladder rungs and a hatch. However, the shaft looks to be about 6 meters above sea level.

Actions?
SpinwardMarch

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by ffilz »

Is the sub's conning tower tall enough that if we positioned the sub on the surface with the conning tower under the shaft someone could easily reach up and climb into the shaft?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar:

To the. captain:
Do we have enough rope onboard to run a loop over the cylinder that attaches the sphere to the rest of the facility?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Jernau35 »

Jrec goes to rummage amongst the supplies they brought, looking for rope that may have been tied around the packing cases they brought.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by SpinwardMarch »

If I didn't mention it previously, the entry to Globe #3 is on the underside.

After you spend a few minutes looking up at the globe, the Captain tells you the conning tower could get a person up to about 4.5 meters higher than sea level, if he maneuvers the sub directly under the hatch. From there, a tall enough person could grab onto the rungs of the ladder.

This will take someone with both strength and dexterity. Once anyone grabs the bottom rung, they will need to pull themselves up the ladder until they can get their feet on it. Or...?

Then you will need to figure out how to get everyone else in the group, including Chiree up the ladder and in the hatch.

You do not know if the hatch is locked, but you assume it probably is.

Any creative ideas on how to get into the globe and also stay dry? Dice may need to be rolled to make it up the entrance shaft.

Actions?
SpinwardMarch

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by ffilz »

SpinwardMarch wrote:If I didn't mention it previously, the entry to Globe #3 is on the underside.

After you spend a few minutes looking up at the globe, the Captain tells you the conning tower could get a person up to about 4.5 meters higher than sea level, if he maneuvers the sub directly under the hatch. From there, a tall enough person could grab onto the rungs of the ladder.

This will take someone with both strength and dexterity. Once anyone grabs the bottom rung, they will need to pull themselves up the ladder until they can get their feet on it. Or...?

Then you will need to figure out how to get everyone else in the group, including Chiree up the ladder and in the hatch.

You do not know if the hatch is locked, but you assume it probably is.

Any creative ideas on how to get into the globe and also stay dry? Dice may need to be rolled to make it up the entrance shaft.

Actions?
6 meters minus 4.5 meters is 1.5 meters or 5 feet... I don't know what kind of stabilization technology the sub has and how rough the seas are.

Once someone is up, letting down a rope will make it easy for everyone else, though if the seas are rough enough, some kind of accounting for dexterity will be appropriate.

Chiree is probably light enough he? can be lifted up.

Giotto will not be the first one up (DEX 5)...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Return to “Research Station Gamma (Classic Traveller)”