OOC Discussion

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion

#201 Post by Marullus »

Unless there's a volunteer (as a player), I will decide.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Rex »

I will volunteer, not sure Ganna has the skill set to escape.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Stirling »

Would Ganna not have been able to use her wand to cast a spell during the conflict?

What does 'all captured'look like? Tied up by the troll while he fixes a roasting spit up. At least we have more combined skills to wriggle free.

Are we assuming ooc that Durganor killed Guhnk offscreen and has disappeared also. Don't know what would be worse, eaten by a troll or rescued by the goblin.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Marullus »

Stirling wrote:Would Ganna not have been able to use her wand to cast a spell during the conflict?
Ganna has one spell (with 3x uses in the wand) - it is to change appearance. She just hasn't found a time to use it yet, but it is likely more useful with the humans and goblins in the next scene above.
Stirling wrote: What does 'all captured'look like? Tied up by the troll while he fixes a roasting spit up.
Yes.
Stirling wrote: Are we assuming ooc that Durganor killed Guhnk offscreen and has disappeared also. Don't know what would be worse, eaten by a troll or rescued by the goblin.
We are assuming they both are gone. Durganor won't reappear unless his player comes back. (I am okay if he does, though!)

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#205 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I know I missed all the fun stuff guys, (sorry about that, but work has us super short staffed and I am worn the hell out most days) but if we all get dragged off, I could try stalling for time giving him "cooking" advice, and play that I am curious about how all my compatriots taste. Maybe I can find an opening to release the party to try and flee conflict or depending on what the lair looks like, I can find a way to let some sun in either distract or frighten the troll.

I figure since two of us were tossed to the side, I may have eluded initial capture and could follow the troll to his lair, and start a discourse over proper ingredients and cook times to tease out the best results. I only have manipulator 2 but i figure my cook 4 and needs a little salt wise could come into play and assist, while also maybe getting help from the group in various ways to help sell it.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Marullus »

Good brainstorming. :) A few clarifications so we're on the same page for feasibility:
  • If you choose Option #1 as-written, everyone is alive and tied up. (No "I got missed" unless you negotiate different terms in the compromise, or you are Durganor who didn't participate. That's why we waited to confirm everyone was part of the conflict [and its results] before we began.)
  • It is fine to try to convince (Persuader or Manipulator) the Troll into releasing you for some reason it believes will benefit it.
  • Your actual Cooking skill only comes into play with actual cooking. Trying to convince the Troll you can cook better food than eating you all raw and then doing so is valid and plays for time. (It was like Gretel's move in Grimm's Fairy Tales.) Needs-Salt-Wise is a bit more flexible and can be brought into play on convincing or other relevant tasks besides actual cooking.
  • You can try a Flee conflict, but only after you all get untied via a successful action of some kind. (If you choose one of the other options, you already escaped because it only caught one of you and you don't necessarily need to Flee again.)
  • As noted previously, there IS a shaft of sunlight in the Pool Cavern, coming down the well shaft and making the pool glow with Dim Light during daytime.
  • If you get untied in the Pool Cavern, or choose option #3 to control the location, there's also the mysterious sword embedded in stone in the pool/lake. Cu Aislin also knows lore about it. Remember to check your Goals as you go... you came here for a reason.
  • Remember to check your Nature descriptors and how to add your Nature to rolls. Any option that leaves you Afraid means you can't help each other and you'll need to be as individually resourceful as possible.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Stirling »

Clough

A resourceful loner, is capable of finding his own way if we split.

I figure finding a way to climb the water rope and up the cistern chimney.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#208 Post by Enoch »

I think our best options are either to be driven off or have him snatch one of us as a meal and then lumber away.

If my understanding of the rules is correct, if we choose "captured and tied up", we can only initiate another Conflict (like a Flee or Trick) once we've actually been tied up. Maybe it's possible to Trick him into wandering into the sunlight?
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Marullus »

It's been five days, so I went ahead and moved us forward.
viewtopic.php?f=828&t=9425&p=474366#p474366

Darkness is a factor (meaning +1 Obstacle), which I'll factor into tests. Also, as long as you're at Full Darkness instead of Dim Light, your actions are limited to things you can potentially do in the darkness (Talking and Social tests, for example). You get Dim Light back if you or it lights a campfire or if you make it until sunrise and the sunlight comes down the shaft again.

Escaping your bonds is a Criminal test (or Beginner's Luck with Health if you don't have that skill), or you can find something more creative. Persuader or Manipulator can convince the Troll to let one of you loose if it perceives it to its own advantage. You can also engage in other individual actions to set the stage and improve your situation before a bigger action.

Otherwise, resolving your captivity will likely be another Conflict (Convince, Drive Off, Flee, Trick, Riddle, or Other).

I'll go with the "Describe to Live" concept overall. If you engage in good roleplay and come up with good ideas, I'll figure out how to use the mechanics for them and give you a shot.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Marullus »

It's been five days, so I went ahead and moved us forward.
viewtopic.php?f=828&t=9425&p=474366#p474366

Darkness is a factor (meaning +1 Obstacle), which I'll factor into tests. Also, as long as you're at Full Darkness instead of Dim Light, your actions are limited to things you can potentially do in the darkness (Talking and Social tests, for example). You get Dim Light back if you or it lights a campfire or if you make it until sunrise and the sunlight comes down the shaft again.

Escaping your bonds is a Criminal test (or Beginner's Luck with Health if you don't have that skill), or you can find something more creative. Persuader or Manipulator can convince the Troll to let one of you loose if it perceives it to its own advantage. You can also engage in other individual actions to set the stage and improve your situation before a bigger action.

Otherwise, resolving your captivity will likely be another Conflict (Convince, Drive Off, Flee, Trick, Riddle, or Other).

I'll go with the "Describe to Live" concept overall. If you engage in good roleplay and come up with good ideas, I'll figure out how to use the mechanics for them and give you a shot.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#211 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Sorry I haven't been around, my office has changed my team off 4 from 2 on day shift and 2 on evening shift to 1 on duty and 3 on-call / standby. And this is my week to work.
And I missed the notification of a new message.

So I gather that we're all tied up. Weaponless. But do we still have our rainment? Since my character starts with a warhorse, would I start with spurs? Could I use them as a tool to help free myself? Using them to saw through the rope?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Marullus »

Sure. +1D on your Criminal test, Ob 2.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#213 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Sure. +1D on your Criminal test, Ob 2.
Are we playing with the optional rule that simultaneous and independent tests by everyone only advance the Grind by 1? So if I'm sawing through my bonds while the others are trying to escape that is only 1 to the Grind?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by Marullus »

No, we were not. We were working with normal rules for Grind, but added the "assumed help." Right now, that's hindered by everyone having the Afraid condition (and being unable to provide help).

Clough already advanced the grind and set himself free. I'm allowing him to untie others as a free action as narratively appropriate (he just untied Cu Aislin) and saying that untying others doesn't require a test if you're already unbound. It just takes narrative time and opportunity.

If Tancred wants to slip his own bonds and get into action sooner, then that's fine. It is a Criminal test and advances the Grind counter. (Note: Can't add more than one Trait Die to a single roll.)

At this moment, the troll is standing over Haar (thus waiting for Haar's post) and being distracted by Clough.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#215 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

On the conflict we lost, do we record a pass/fail based on what skill we used?

I boiled down the conflict to this: Round, Hero, Action vs Action, Skill Used, Result

Round 1
Tancred, Maneuver vs Attack, Will, 5s vs 4s - Pass
Grimm, Attack vs Feint, Fighter, 7s - Pass
Ganna, Defend vs Maneuver, Will, 3s vs 4s - Fail

Round 2
Clough, Maneuver vs Attack, Will, 5s vs 8s - Fail
Grimm, Attack vs Defend, Fighter, 5s vs 6s - Fail
Cu, Defend vs Attack, Will, 3s vs 8s - Fail

So is it correct to say that:
Tancred can mark a Pass for Will
Grimm can mark a Pass or Fail for Fighter (or does he get go mark both?)
Ganna, Clough, and Cu can mark a Fail for Will

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Marullus »

It is all in the Tracking Reference already: viewtopic.php?f=828&t=9587
[7 - Total]Everyone records a Will Pass or a Will Fail (your choice); Grimm, Tancred, Haar, and Clough record a Fighter Pass.
With COVID and all, I am being lenient on helpers needing to have posted in those weeks.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#217 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Ok, thanx!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Marullus »

Next round is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=828&t=9425&p=477429#p477429

There continues to be a variety of strategic options. Be clever. Roleplay forward with your ideas until we get to an action that needs a test. Also, make sure you review conditions and recovery.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#219 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Hey group: how's this for a plan. Haar distracts the troll with an in-depth discussion on edible cave fungus and lichens, we sneak out and I'll hide nearby, the rest of you further away or keep going. Once you're away and the troll is intently examining some fungus I'll throw a rock from my hiding place back into his lair. I'm hoping that the troll is slow-witted enough to run back into his lair to check on his dinner, forgetting about Haar for the moment. Then Haar and I make a break for it catching up to the rest of you, I'll carry him if he lets me.

If Haar can distract the troll long enough we might be able to get some of our gear back.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Stirling »

You have the mushrooms already collected. So point that out and go to the supplies. Maybe sleight of hand Clough's dagger for a weapon.

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”