OOC

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC

#41 Post by Alethan »

Mushgnome wrote:I assume that if my PC is not leading the marching order, there is no need to post "Noodles follows the guy in front of him" every day; cool? :)
Certainly, when we are just walking down the hall. I suggest this in every game, and most people poo poo the idea, but I think having a party caller is probably MORE important in a PBP game than in a FTF game.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by thirdkingdom »

Alethan wrote:
Mushgnome wrote:I assume that if my PC is not leading the marching order, there is no need to post "Noodles follows the guy in front of him" every day; cool? :)
Certainly, when we are just walking down the hall. I suggest this in every game, and most people poo poo the idea, but I think having a party caller is probably MORE important in a PBP game than in a FTF game.
I believe here the issue has more to do with pace and the tendency of some posters to not state intentions when they di post. We have a number of people we haven't heard from in a while; should we slow the game down to wait for these people who may or may not still be around? I say "no". If they are still around they can chime in as desired, but it is my experience that pbp games fail most often when they try to accommodate the infrequent posters.

Makofan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#43 Post by Makofan »

If people don't want to post, they shouldn't be playing. It's not fair to the others.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by mithrandir138 »

HOLY CRAP GUYS... I have lost a lot of action here. I am guessing I messed something up and unsubscribed to the the thread or something. Since I haven't gotten any emails, I assumed the game had slowed. I apologize! I will read through the action and see if there is anything I can contribute. If not, I will resume my normal participation in the game.

Dogma, I am really sorry man -- I don't know what happened.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by mithrandir138 »

For the record. I have read through the thread here about post frequency and waiting on players. I am all for pushing through and having people catch up or bow out if they wish. The people that are posting and actively moving the game forward obviously want to play, they should be given the spotlight. I agree with the 50%+1 rule that was proposed. I would even add to it and say that it's 50%+1 OR 48 hours from the DM's last post (whichever comes first).

If something happens like what just happened to me (I am not sure how it did) where I "go silent" in the thread for a while or my life gets in the way and I can't post, you have every right to move the action/story forward. It's on me (the player) to figure out how to cope with that. Others shouldn't suffer for a flakey or silent player.

Here's what I have put forth in my C&C game:
Participation
If your name is on the roster, your participation is expected. However, I know life gets in the way, I get it. It's OK. I am a victim of it as well. That's why I am doing PbP in the first place Just be mindful and respect that there are 8 other people (7 players and myself) in the game and they all want to have fun as much as you do. If you are going through a busy time at work, going on vacation, sick, or in any other situation that will keep you from posting for a while or delay your normal participation: just let the group know in the "I can't post because...." thread (<link to thread>). Simple as that. Your character can "go scout ahead" or go on a bender in the local tavern, be ran by another player, etc. -- just specify your preference in your post.

And for combat:
"If you do not post in a reasonable period of time, and have not notified the group that you will not be posting for a while, your character will go on full defense. If this keeps happening for consecutive rounds, your character will make a defensive withdrawal, and if you still aren't posting, your character will have retreated to the nearest safe place. Your character will not receive XP."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by Alethan »

Will only have sporadic Internet connections for the next week or so.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by max_vale »

If it hasn't allready been said; thirdkingdom: Alastor is AWESOME! Keep up the good work amigo! :)

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by mithrandir138 »

max_vale wrote:If it hasn't allready been said; thirdkingdom: Alastor is AWESOME! Keep up the good work amigo! :)
Indeed, I searched for a good "death by snu-snu" clip from Futurama a few days ago to post, but I couldn't find one :)

Makofan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#51 Post by Makofan »

Dogma

Can you create a Map thread where I can post the updated maps? That way people don't have to search through pages of exploring to find the maps?

Thank you

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#52 Post by Alethan »

Dogma, how are you granting XP on this adventure? Is it for monsters defeated? Treasure gathered? Both?

I was in a game one time where XP was given completely based on how much of the dungeon was explored (XP per SQ. FT. kind of thing), which was interesting. Some of the other games I'm in, the XP is completely based on treasure gathered, so you are not encouraged to fight and kill every single thing you come across.

I suppose the standard is XP for monsters killed and for treasure gathered. But I wanted to clarify what the ruling was for this game.

Thanks.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by Dogma »

As far as XP rewards, I plan on following the rules on p22 of the basic book: 1 XP for monetary treasure gained, some XP for creatures defeated (by force of arms or wit).

I'm not what rate of advancement this will give for this module, so I might adjust as needed with rewards for good RP, clever thinking in regards to traps, bootsing the XP for monsters defeated, etc.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by max_vale »

While I am not familiar with this particular module; I DO know that many of the early AD&D and Basic modules were designed with 'by the book' XP guidelines in mind. This can be both 'good' and 'bad'.

Example: T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil is (rightly) considered a bit of a Monty-haul adventure due to the sheer amount of treasure within. This was done with several things in mind; per the DM's guide; the treasure served the purpose of providing funds for rapid level advancement for a party of 6-8; INCLUDING the costs of training when levelling up. (Also; why many NPCs are available for said training)

As that particular moduel stated; it was designed to take 1st level characters up to 7th or higher. Many groups I know of (including myself) have never used Training when levelling up; and certainly not the cost of it. Also; many groups (again including my own); don't use the 1gp equals 1xp rule but instead use "story awards" at key moments. T1-4 as written is meant for 1gp equals 1xp and has no story awards.

On the opposite end of the spectrum; many modules also presumed that the players would be running through the module at a fairly consistent rate; i.e. gathering for sessions once or twice a week. If you're like me and you're lucky to get a session a month and feel like it's Christmas when you can get 2 in a 4 week stretch; this means you either have to have players who are very okay with levelling VERY slowly and/or throw in some awards here and there at certain key places to speed the process up.

Not sure if this helps at all; but just thought I'd throw that out there! :)

P.S. As for me; in a PBP; I don't really care if levelling is really slow (or even not at all; depending upon the adventure played!) or somewhat quick. It's more about just enjoying the adventure for me. So whatever your method of giving XP; I'm cool with! :)

riftstone
Ranger
Ranger

#55 Post by riftstone »

Mith, awesome bit of RPing there!

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by mithrandir138 »

riftstone wrote:Mith, awesome bit of RPing there!
Same to you!

riftstone
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by riftstone »

Third got me with that teeter-totter comment; almost lost my drink all over my keyboard!

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by mithrandir138 »

riftstone wrote:Third got me with that teeter-totter comment; almost lost my drink all over my keyboard!
I almost kept it going, but I couldn't find a way to say: "AYFKM!?!?!?!" in character. :lol:

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#59 Post by Dogma »

Nice RP guys. I'm guessing there might be some bonus XP doled out in the near future...

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by mithrandir138 »

I will be out of town this weekend, I hope to post some sort of player action or something Sunday night. Feel free to NPC me if something significant happens while I am away. If it's an encounter, Gamil will charge boldly in!

Return to “B4 - The Lost City”