Action Thread #5 - The Plains

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Action Thread #5 - The Plains

#161 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor goes up the stairs Are you fellas okay? You did not step on the caltrops, did you? the ranger asks Andrin and Thurinor.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#162 Post by Stonjuz »

"Dwarf you say? I knew it." Stonjuz, with a 'told you so' grin, points a finger at his own eyball. "Ghostly too? Now I wasn't expecting that at all." The dwarf looks nervously about. Gripping his Boccob symbol tighter, unknowingly.
"Malone!!! Oz!!! What in all the hells are you two doing?. This is no time for sleepin'. Get up. We gots trouble."
Stonjuz goes back with the others to the room with the trapdoor overhead and says, "Best be pickin up these caltrops you done laid all about first. I never actaully seen one, but I bet ghosts are not stopped by little spikes"

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#163 Post by ragnboneshopper »

zebediah wrote:Ogirdor goes up the stairs Are you fellas okay? You did not step on the caltrops, did you? the ranger asks Andrin and Thurinor.
Thurinor smiles sheepishly and shakes his head. "No, not the caltrops... but there is something...fearful...up above..." Fascinated, the elf watches for Stonjuz's reaction to Andrin's intelligence with the same cool interest as one who watches ants remove their dead from their burrowed homes.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#164 Post by Stonjuz »

"Now normally, when most Clerics be a'comin into contacts with the undead, they try and do something called 'turn'. I've seen it performed on skeletons by the Cuthberts and it usually just 'turns' the creatures around in fear. Not much place to turn and run around in a keep tower, so maybe that not best be our plan this day."
Stonjuz gives a look of uncertainty, then adds, "Maybe our ghostly host will respond to the old dwarf tongue."

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#165 Post by Sir Clarence »

"That sounds like a good idea. After you, good dwarf.", Andrin bows with a smile and invites Stonjuz to the ladder.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#166 Post by Stonjuz »

With the oldest dialect Stonjuz can muster he climbs the ladder and begins with the attempted communication.
"Kwell Kmet Kmaster Kdwarf. Ki Kam Stonjuz D' Eyeurnhead. Kwe Kmean Kyou Kno Kharm. Kwe Kwish Kto Kparlay."

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#167 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor follows Stonjuz back up through the trapdoor, pausing only momentarily to consider the fear that now seems distant, as if from another life. He shrugs and keeps climbing. "First giant bats, then spitting lizards, now a dead dwarf. We ARE getting variety on this little expedition. Wonder if this dwarven ghost speaks bat or lizard..."

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#168 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh comes into the fish room to watch what these crazy humans get up to. He doesn't climb to the battlements.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#169 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin follows Stonjuz and Thurinor. He's curious to see whether the undead dwarf somehow reacts to Stonjuz' words and presence.

Buzz
Scout
Scout

#170 Post by Buzz »

Malone jolts awake. 'Sorry, I think it was the water.' He follows the others to the battlements and watches what happens.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#171 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 3 - Afternoon - Grassy Plain/The Lake Fortress

Stonjuz climbs into the battlement courtyard. He easily spots the grey dwarf marching marching along the north wall, meaning he (it?) must have completed at least a full round around the battlement since the strategic retreat of Thurinor and Andrin.

The priest prepares to hail the approaching apparition when he begins to feel the same wave of dread that victimized Thurinor moments before.

Stonjuz needs to make a Save vs. Spells at -2, as the two characters before. The other PCs that intended to follow Stonjuz are still making their way up the stair.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#172 Post by Stonjuz »

spells (15/7) [1d20-2] = 12-2 = 10
"Now.....er....Know Kdon't Kbe Ktrying Knone Kof Kthat Kfunny Kstuff."
The joustling of the turtle on his head, helps the dwarf maintain his composure throughout the ordeal. The poo droppings down the back of his neck probably helped a bit too.
"Dont worry Turtlepoo. I got this.
"
turtlepoo [1d20] = 3

oocI think I made it with my racial and wisdom adjustments, but Turtlepoo definitley failed

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#173 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 3 - Afternoon - Grassy Plain/The Lake Fortress

Stonjuz's dwarvish resilience sustains him through the wave of fear and he holds his ground. The grey apparition does not react at all to his attempt at conversation and continues on its mechanical rounds.

[1d100] = 53

The dwarven priest now recognizes what he is seeing, given his religious training: it is a Phantom, a soulless shell, a psychic impression left on a spot on the physical realm by a particularly strong death trauma. Thinking back to his session spent at the feet of the High priests of Boccob during the Planar Sciences lessons, Stonjuz remembers that phantoms, while "technically" undead, are immune to the power of Turning. To dissipate an image such as this requires powers of exorcism which are well above Stonjuz magical circle. Apart from the psychic fear they generate in living creatures Phantoms are wholly benign and cannot affect, or be affected by, the material realm.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#174 Post by Stonjuz »

Vargr1105 wrote:
The dwarven priest now recognizes what he is seeing, given his religious training: it is a Phantom, a soulless shell, a psychic impression left on a spot on the physical realm by a particularly strong death trauma. Thinking back to his session spent at the feet of the High priests of Boccob during the Planar Sciences lessons, Stonjuz remembers that phantoms, while "technically" undead, are immune to the power of Turning. To dissipate an image such as this requires powers of exorcism which are well above Stonjuz magical circle. Apart from the psychic fear they generate in living creatures Phantoms are wholly benign and cannot affect, or be affected by, the material realm.
Appearing as if this kind of thing happens all of the time, Eyeurnhed relays the description of the ghostly host to the others behind him, "Ah yes. What I be seeing lads is a shell of a soul, a phantom, if you will. It's inner soul be pressed onto this here keep tower. Somethin' horrific musta happened upon these stones. This here types of ghost is not about being 'turned' like I was 'specting. And Ol' Boccob's not gonna be helpin' me here either. Takes somethin' I ain'ts got.
Psychic Planar Spells and Science Stuff. 'Fraid the bests I can help is to bring word of our host here to the mayor back in Irongate. He will know what to do. For now, dont bother him and I wont be thinkin' he'd be botherin' us. Right Swilbosh?"

ooc: manner of clothing, clan, region, tribe,etc.?

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#175 Post by saalaria »

"That'sss right my friend - leave him I do and he sssstaysss up here."

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#176 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor listens, fascinated. "I wonder, if one could withstand the fear long enough to capture a few phantom whisps in a bottle, what use it might be put to..." He shrugs. "Well, at least we will all sleep better tonight. Swilbosh, may we spend the night in the protection of your abode? And then, where to on the morrow, down the mountain?"

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#177 Post by Stonjuz »

Checking around the enclosure for items of interest, Stonjuz gets to a spot which coincides with the ghost sentry. As the apparition comes closer, Stonjuz brings fist to chest in symbolage to the old dwrven greetings and extends the arm in friendship only to have the gesture totally ignored. The cleric continues his looking around for clues.
"Told ya"

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#178 Post by saalaria »

ragnboneshopper wrote:Thurinor listens, fascinated. "I wonder, if one could withstand the fear long enough to capture a few phantom whisps in a bottle, what use it might be put to..." He shrugs. "Well, at least we will all sleep better tonight. Swilbosh, may we spend the night in the protection of your abode? And then, where to on the morrow, down the mountain?"

"yesss you may sssleep here. If you want I can ssshow you the way on the morrrow. You have but two choiccccesss where to go - the ssswamp path or the ssstone ssstairsss."

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#179 Post by zebediah »

saalaria wrote:
ragnboneshopper wrote:Thurinor listens, fascinated. "I wonder, if one could withstand the fear long enough to capture a few phantom whisps in a bottle, what use it might be put to..." He shrugs. "Well, at least we will all sleep better tonight. Swilbosh, may we spend the night in the protection of your abode? And then, where to on the morrow, down the mountain?"

"yesss you may sssleep here. If you want I can ssshow you the way on the morrrow. You have but two choiccccesss where to go - the ssswamp path or the ssstone ssstairsss."

Thank you for your hospitality and support Swilbosh. As for myself I would be happy and indebted for having your company when we resume our march. As for the two paths, I believe the stairs sound like an interesting possibility as they might provide a good vantage point to get a view of the valley from a new angle even if they eventually do not lead to a path outside of the mountains. What do you fellas say?

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#180 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin shrugs. "I am at a loss like we all are. Yes, stone stairs sound interesting because someone must have build them, which means that we can probably find answers to our many questions there. My vote goes to the stairs then. But for now, I wouldn't mind a quiet and peaceful rest. Thanks to Swilbosh, this comes unexpected but is much welcome." Andrin nods at the lizard man. "So where am I allowed to sleep, Swilbosh?"

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”