IC Chapter 1: A Fateful Gathering

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

Re: IC Chapter 1: A Fateful Gathering

#101 Post by jason.connerley »

Conrad

"I'll do what I can, can you bring me some hot water please?" The halfling takes off his pack and withdraws the herbs he picked yesterday, a small mortar and pestle, and a few small bags of powder and spices. He sets them on the table and while he waits for the hot water he inspects the wound.

Lordbridge
Strider
Strider

#102 Post by Lordbridge »

Nimbus stands near the head of the bed so he can get a look at the wound as well.

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#103 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

The man nods and sends off a young girl to fetch the water. While he waits, Conrad draws back bedding to reveal the boy's leg, wound with bandages. Even before removing those, you can see angry red lines snaking out from under the wrappings. Gently removing the bandages, you reveal a pair of ragged-edged arrow wounds where the arrow plainly went through the thigh. You can see he's lucky the head didn't cut the artery and kill him on the spot. Still, it looks bad, red and inflamed, and not healing at all.

@Conrad Make me a Wisdom check, please. (Roll under attribute score)

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#104 Post by jason.connerley »

Conrad

Conrad takes the hot water with a smile and works quickly to make a paste which he applies to the wounds.

Rolling against a 16 Wisdom : [1d20] = 10

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#105 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Conrad's examination does not do much to instill hope. Though not the most experienced healer, he has seen similar wounds before and recognizes the signs of infection setting in already. The bindings he removed also show evidence of some sort of poultice paste and he would have expected some better results by now. Probing carefully, he can see the blackening of dead flesh in spots and the smell of decay is plainly evident. The halfling's nose also detects a fainter scent nearly lost under the odor though - not a smell he recognizes as any herb or concoction he's experienced. The poison perhaps?

You believe that you've done what you can for now, perhaps slowing the spread of the infection and hopefully giving the boy some relief in the meantime.

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#106 Post by jason.connerley »

Conrad

"I have done what I can."

The halfling's solemn look says more than his words.

"The infection, poison, is still there but hopefully I have slowed it and given him some relief. Perhaps if we find the villians we will have a better idea of what is wrong and how to treat it. The faster we act the better his chances will be. Let us tarry no longer."
Last edited by jason.connerley on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#107 Post by VonAlric »

Toldir

Looking to Conrad, he taps him on the shoulder. "You did what you could. Now, let's see if we can find this temple and what we need to fix things for good. Hey, Nast. Lead us onto the temple."
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#108 Post by tibbius »

Nasturtium looks pensively at the gangrene-stricken youth. Gripping his friend's shoulder, he says urgently "Everything will work out ok, Tav. Trust me. These folks will help find a cure for you."

Turning to Toldir, Nimbus, Conrad, and Kothar, the young human thief woodsman gestures toward the door. "We should get going quickly. If we hike quick we could be there by mid-afternoon. But we might need to camp overnight - unless you want to walk back in the dark. Should we gather camping gear?"
Last edited by tibbius on Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#109 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

You know it's about 7-8 miles, so later afternoon arrival if you move along. There is still the old, overgrown trail to follow,marked by more of the stone columns you'd seen on the way from the river. Still some bushwork, but not the rougher-going of untamed forest.

Lordbridge
Strider
Strider

#110 Post by Lordbridge »

Everything I own is carried on my back. What else do you need Nastur? We should not tarry long.

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#111 Post by jason.connerley »

Conrad

The halfling starts packing up. "I am ready to go now as well, Tav's best hope lies in our haste."

sirravd

#112 Post by sirravd »

Kothar, too, asserts his readiness to leave. "We'll get revenge on the cowards who shot your son!"

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#113 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

With all they own already on their backs and little coin for additional supplies, given such a short trip into the nearby forest, the party wastes no more time and sets off. Led by their new guide and his familiarity with the area you make quick progress. Nast leads the group out of the village heading east, deeper into the Dymrak Forest, following a trail that shows signs of regular use for some ways, but then branches off to the north (a spur marked by a pair of stone markers). Toldir, familiar as he is withe tracking through the wilds, does occasionally see signs of other peoples passage - broken branches or a footprint left behind in the moist loam.

It is late afternoon when your destination appears, becoming visible through the trees ahead. High stone walls still range from 8' to 12' high, but once obviously once stood higher judging from the crumbled stone and debris heaped along them. The wilderness has begun to reclaim the site, with trees regrowing close by the walls and vines and brambles climbing the scree.

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#114 Post by jason.connerley »

Conrad

The halfling slips into the trees and attempts to move into an overwatch position of the site without being seen

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#115 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

With plenty of undergrowth around, Conrad easily slips from sight. The rest of the party simply realizes he's gone all of a sudden. So far, there is no sign of movement atop the crumbled walls and no sense of being watched.

What is everyone else doing?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#116 Post by tibbius »

"I have never been inside those walls," Nast said. "Something about this place gives me the creeps. But the old wives do say that inside there is a well or a fountain or something that has healing water, which might help Tav. Seems like we're all prepared to get in there now, before the sun falls. I'll lead."

I expect the DM will roll secretly for Nast's Move Silently and Hide in Shadows as he enters the gate of the ruined temple

The woodsman stepped ahead of the rest, with an arrow nocked to his short bow as he slipped stealthily around the pillar of the gates.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

sirravd

#117 Post by sirravd »

Kothar meanwhile moves to his position in the marching order, drawing his greatsword and preparing to attack anything that moves.

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#118 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Cautiously, the party approaches the ruined building, for as you get closer that is what it appears to be. The overgrown path you've followed leads to what must have been the main entry, now laid wide open and beckoning. As Kothar moves to the front of the group to guard the group against unseen dangers, Nast creeps ahead, silently slipping through the undergrowth, trying to stay out of direct view from the entrance.

From Nast's new vantage point, the destruction here is even more apparent. The overall opening is about 10' wide and tall, and the remains of two great stone doors. The left (North) door is pushed open and blasted inward, lying back against a pile of stone rubble, mostly upright. The right-hand door has fallen completely inward and is partially visible from your angle, broken in to large pieces on the ground inside the walls. Beyond, you can see glimpses of pieces of white marble columns, also now tumbled and broken. Strewn about on the ground are chucks of rock and the detritus of the forest; branches, leaves, and similar. You see no signs of movement or occupation at all.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#119 Post by tibbius »

Still trying to move silently, hide in shadows, and hear noise, Nast enters the building with his bow half-drawn.

Has the roof also fallen in? That would explain the branches on the floor.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#120 Post by VonAlric »

Toldir

Watching Nast move inside the grounds, Toldir waits for a signal to follow the woodsman. He takes a quick look around for Conrad, shaking his head when he doesn't see him readily around.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Return to “Adventures in the Known World (BX)”