OOC I

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#321 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:ha...so how's that healing going to go there for the almost dead?
Speaking of Delgrot bleeding out, he should be at -6, not -5. It's correct in my footer information, but not on the map. Both he and Jaroo will be at -7 next round.

As for those currently unconscious, my 'Dying, Death, and Healing' rules allow for characters to bleed out until reaching -10. After that, as they say, it's a wrap. So, even if Roderick and Nexus are able to survive, it doesn't really look good for the rest of you.

I/we will review the status of the game once the battle concludes... but things most definitely got more interesting.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#322 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:ha...so how's that healing going to go there for the almost dead?
Speaking of Delgrot bleeding out, he should be at -6, not -5. It's correct in my footer information, but not on the map. Both he and Jaroo will be at -7 next round.

As for those currently unconscious, my 'Dying, Death, and Healing' rules allow for characters to bleed out until reaching -10. After that, as they say, it's a wrap. So, even if Roderick and Nexus are able to survive, it doesn't really look good for the rest of you.

I/we will review the status of the game once the battle concludes... but things most definitely got more interesting.

Shouldn't Ardium be at -4 now? Or did something magical happen that skipped the bleedout?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#323 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:Shouldn't Ardium be at -4 now? Or did something magical happen that skipped the bleedout?
You know, it's funny you ask. I was cleaning up the map and removing all dead opponents. I also removed Unna and Ardium because they didn't have entries listed in my footer section. I didn't remember offhand, so I just assumed they were both killed outright.

That's what I get for assuming.

I'll need to do a little research here.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#324 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I'll need to do a little research here.
Okay, he was dropped to -2 here, in round 13.

I will fix.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#325 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I understand about the binding of our wounds but right now i don't see that happening. Folks are a bit occupied with the orcs. But after binding do we even have a healer left alive?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#326 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I will fix.
This is done. Both on the map and in the footer information for next round.

Sorry, man!
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#327 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:But after binding do we even have a healer left alive?
There's a paladin, illusionist, and farmer NPC.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#328 Post by GreyWolfVT »

So possibly yes from the paladin if he hasn't already used lay on hands. Otherwise no unless there are healing potions in our possessions.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by Zhym »

Roderick hasn't used his lay-on-hands yet, but he can only heal 2 points of damage. That's not enough to bring anyone to consciousness.

GreyWolfVT

#330 Post by GreyWolfVT »

yay! :roll: :cry:

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#331 Post by Storm11 »

Well we rushed in like a bunch of numpties. Nowt to do but suck it up now eh.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#332 Post by GreyWolfVT »

yup short lived game with a TPK. Not really willing to start over again either so I guess if Delgrot dies I'm bowing out.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Storm11 »

We haven’t all died yet. Hang in there
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#334 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm hanging in there. Just saying if Delgrot doesn't make it I don't feel like creating a new character. So any survivor is welcome to take his stuff if it is of use to the survivors.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#335 Post by Zhym »

I was surprised that Dave rolled morale separately for each orc. I'd always done it for monsters as a group, and the example of "Failing Morale" in the 2e DMG also treats monster morale as a group thing, not individual:
Example of Morale: As the player characters slash through thick underbrush, they stumble across a band of 10 gnolls gnawing on roasted game birds. Neither group is surprised. An elf in the party shouts in the gnolls' language, "Surrender, you scum of the forest! You haven't a chance and we'll let you keep your miserable hides."

The DM refuses to roll a morale check, since the gnolls don't know if their enemies are strong or weak. Besides, the DM sees possibilities for a nice dramatic fight in this encounter.

Snarling, the gnolls hurl aside their badly cooked birds. The tallest one grunts out in the local tongue, "I think you wrong, tree-thing. We win fight. We take hides!" He hefts a great mace in his hands. The two groups attack. A furious, slashing battle ensues.

Suddenly, the mage of the party cuts loose with a magic missile spell, killing the largest of the gnolls. Now the DM rolls a morale check, both for the magic and the loss of the leader, applying appropriate modifiers.

The DM decides the gnolls are disorganized troops--a hunting party, not a war party. This gives them a base morale of 11. The gnolls have a -4 penalty (chaotic, fighting mages, and more than one check required in the round), giving an adjusted result of 7.

Two 10-sided dice are rolled, resulting in a 3 and a 2, for a total of 5. They pass the morale check, since the number rolled is less than their modified morale, and they decide to keep fighting.
(That example is also interesting because of, "Besides, the DM sees possibilities for a nice dramatic fight in this encounter." So the DM wanting to see a fight is a reason not to check morale? Yeah, that's definitely 2e, game of railroads. :D)

Rolling for orc morale as a group would have been higher risk with higher reward: if they had failed, the battle was over (unless people kept shooting at the orcs and the orcs decided they had to fight to survive). But if they had made their morale check, the TPK would have been assured. Rolling morale for orcs individually virtually guaranteed that some orcs would flee while others would stay—giving us a chance to survive the encounter, but not ending it.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#336 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:I was surprised that Dave rolled morale separately for each orc.
I debated how to do this.

Ultimately, because the different orcs had different levels of health and their modifiers would be different, and because there were relatively so few of them, I decided to give them their own checks.

It worked out about how I expected it to (which I think was ultimately (or at least potentially) in your favor).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by Zhym »

It seems to have worked out reasonably well, assuming the three PCs who are still fighting can finish off two orcs before everyone else bleeds out. Which is not guaranteed! Roderick's critical hit is going to come last in the round, so it would totally be in character for this game for the orcs to cut him down before he gets a chance to take one of them out.

But if Roderick survives this round, we should be in decent shape. Fingers crossed.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#338 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Roderick's critical hit is going to come last in the round, so it would totally be in character for this game for the orcs to cut him down before he gets a chance to take one of them out.
Yeah...

If I wasn't so busy at work I'd resolve this next round right now... because things are looking really interesting (especially with that natural 20 (and the maximum initiative roll)).

Later today or tonight.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Zhym »

And here I got all excited seeing an update. Little did I realize it would only be an update to someone attacking the fleeing orcs—again—not a resolution of Round 16.

Well, attacking the fleeing orcs worked out so well last time, why not again? ;)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#340 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:And here I got all excited seeing an update. Little did I realize it would only be an update to someone attacking the fleeing orcs—again—not a resolution of Round 16.

Well, attacking the fleeing orcs worked out so well last time, why not again? ;)
I was hoping that didn't happen, but it does stand to make things more interesting.

I will definitely get the update for round 16 posted before leaving work today.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Dave's 2e Campaign (2e)”