Session 0 Gear Discussion

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 0 Gear Discussion

#21 Post by Marullus »

Stirling, Bill, Rossik - what group do you wish to be in?

DrPete recommends putting Clough in Group #1 and both Tancred and the Oathbreaker in Group #2.

With Rumple removed, I would recommend Tancred and Clough in one group and the Oathbreaker in the other so both groups have someone with Cartographer and Pathfinder.

Rossik, are you still in-play?

Marullus wrote: Group #1:
- Ganna (Red Riding Hood)
- Big Bad Wolf
- Grimm the Dwarf
- ?

Group #2:
- Haar the Halfling (both from Sorcerer Tower)
- Rumple the Gnome (both from Sorcerer Tower)
- ?
- ?

Need aligning:
- Tancred the Forsaken Ridder
- Clough the Thief (Potential connection to Rumple through Metropolis enemy)
- (Dwarven Oathbreaker)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Stirling »

Clough will go with group one.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Tancred will go with group 2

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by drpete »

We may need to rethink this if we are at 6 characters (no oathbreaker). Do we actually have 4 & 2 in the groups at the moment, or 4 & 3?

If it's 4 & 2, we could move either Clough or Grimm (keeping the thematic red/wolf pairing).

I'm fine to move over Grimm, though that will put most of the muscle in group 2.

Maybe we need a verdict on the oathbreaker...?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Marullus »

Okay that means the Oathbreaker has to go in group #2 as well.

Group #1:
- Big Bad Wolf
- Grimm the Dwarf
- Clough the Thief

Group #2:
- (Dwarven Oathbreaker)
- ?

Not a bad apportionment. Both groups have a Cook, a Cartographer, a Criminal (thief skills) and a Fighter. Group #2 has both Pathfinders but the Wolf's Roving nature can fill in.

Since the Wolf doesn't carry anything, each group has three sets of inventory to work with. The Ridder is fixed. Other gear can be picked.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Marullus »

Starting Gear List.png
Starting Gear List.png (76.81 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

Group #1:
HEAD: -
NECK: -1D Silver & Red Bloodstone Wolf Pendant

HANDS (worn): -
HANDS (carry): -

TORSO: -
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: -
BACKPACK: -

BELT (pouch): -
BELT (weapon): - Wand, 3 charges of Arcane Semblance
BELT (skin): -
FEET: -

- Big Bad Wolf
NECK: -

WEAPON: - Crushing Jaws (+1s Attack in Kill, Capture, Drive-off conflicts)
Fur Coat: (+1D to recover from exhausted and +1D to Health tests involving wet and cold).

- Grimm the Dwarf
HEAD: Helmet
NECK: Jade Seeing Stone Necklace (1D Treasure)

HANDS (carry): Crossbow
HANDS (carry): ^^^^^^^^^^^

TORSO: Leather Armor
TORSO: Satchel
TORSO: Rope
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: Iron Spikes (6)
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: Hammer
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: Sack, small (2)

BELT (pouch): Rations, Preserved (3)
BELT (weapon): Quiver
BELT (skin): Wineskin
FEET: shoes

- Clough the Thief
HEAD: Wide-brimmed hat.
NECK: Heirloom: Harmonica on cord lanyard

Left Hand (worn): Handcuffs,
Right Hand (worn):
Left Hand (carry): Lantern
Right Hand (carry):

TORSO: cloak
TORSO: length of rope
TORSO: satchel
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: Preserved rations x1
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: Flasks of oil x 2
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: Tinderbox
BACKPACK:
BACKPACK:
BACKPACK:

BELT (pouch): Thieves tools
BELT (weapon): Dagger
BELT (skin): Wineskin
FEET: Knee length leather boots
Group #2:
HEAD: - Helmet
NECK: - Garlic

HANDS (worn): -family grater, (think microplane zester) incorporated into the back of a glove

TORSO: -Leather armor
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: -thieving tools
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: -Tinderbox
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - small sack (2)

BELT (weapon): - Mace (tenderizer hammer)
BELT (skin): - wine

HANDS (carry): - Lance
HANDS (carry): - (ditto)

SATCHEL: - 2 torches
SATCHEL: - 1 preserved rations
SATCHEL: -

BELT (weapon): -
BELT (skin): - Water

- (Dwarven Oathbreaker)

- ?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Marullus »

drpete wrote:.Maybe we need a verdict on the oathbreaker...?
Sorry, we cross posted and I didn't see this (I wasn't ignoring you.)

I asked Enoch and he said Rossik has been working via PM and is still in play.

Let's look at gear as if the above groups are it?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Rex »

The gear has me stumped a bit. Was thinking a satchel, tinder box, torches. Do I need anything for my skills? I have alchemy, cooking and healing that might need something, plus enchanter requires stuff as well.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by Enoch »

You are generally assumed to have all of the equipment necessary to use your skills, within reason (Carpenters are not carrying around lumber (but do have a small hammer and nails for the purposes of carpentry), nor Smiths forges and anvils). There is no need to buy "skill kits" or things like that.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

Yeah, I guess there's some rudimentary things to explain.

If you are skilled, you have basic stuff to do that skill on the road. If nobody is skilled, then the group is ill-equipped and tries the skill with a -1 penalty. (The skilled cooks have pots and pans. If we had no skilled cook, nobody would have them and we would be attempting at penalty.)

Things that take slots, therefore generally provide +1D. So, a skilled Criminal can always have enough useful bits to mess with a lock. Of he carries Thieves Tools, it is +1D. The cook has herbs and spices. Using a slot for garlic could provide +1D against vampires or cooking a gamey roast.

You have to choose a satchel (takes one torso slot, gives three slots) or a backpack (takes two torso, gives six slots). The backpack is a factor (meaning +1 Ob) in Fighter and Dungeoneer tests. So, it is bad for some people to have backpacks.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by drpete »

I think it's bad for the fight-y people to have backpacks, but that puts some pressure on the non fight-y people to wear them to carry more gear, despite the penalty.

In group 1, we have a wolf who can't carry anything, so we need a good amount of light and food in the other's packs.

I think that Grimm could wear a backpack, and be assumed to drop it in combat, but that totally risks actually losing it

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rex »

So I should go backpack, tinder box, torches and food?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Enoch »

drpete wrote:I think that Grimm could wear a backpack, and be assumed to drop it in combat, but that totally risks actually losing it
It does, and I think that's important to note for people who are unfamiliar with Torchbearer. Gear can be lost, stolen or destroyed, and most attempts to circumvent the "slot system" (by dropping candles or backpacks before a fight, for example), explicitly allow the GM to throw in a monkey wrench. One of the advantages better gear carries is a resistance to this.

For example, if you drop a torch to free up a hand, the GM can have it go out if they feel like it. If you set down a lantern, it will generally only go out when its fuel is used up, as the result of a failed test, or because of some conflict. (Candles can be snuffed out at the GM's whim even if they're in your hand. However, remember that Torchbearer rewards smart play, so if you describe doing something to make sure a candle placed on the ground stays upright, and make sure it's protected from even light winds, it might just stay lit.)
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

There is also a minor "hack" to the containers. A quiver also counts as a container.

<rules lawyer mode on>
Rulebook pages 18 & 37
Quiver Ob 2; torso/carried 1 or belt/weapon
Rulebook page 38
Quiver
A quiver holds arrows or bolts, or two items. Quivers can also hold your bow, but not your crossbow.
You could wear a satchel (1 torso slot, provides 3 slots) on your torso and a quiver (1 torso slot, provides 2 slots), and still have 1 torso slot left for armour, or another quiver.

That gives you 5, or 7, carrying slots with no penalty, while a backpack gives you 6 slots but a penalty in combat and Dungeoneering tests.

And if you have no weapon, or use a weapon you always carry (staff?, crossbow?), then you could have another quiver on your belt for 2 more slots.

Of course, as a GM, I would probably rule that certain large bulky things cannot be carried in a quiver even if they do take 2 slots, or rule that the two items have to be one-slot each.

</rules lawyer mode off>

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Marullus »

Rex wrote:So I should go backpack, tinder box, torches and food?
...Yes.

For group #1, Ganna the witch is unskilled as a Fighter or Dungeoneer and so is a good candidate to have a backpack and carry supplies. (She has no armor, so Cloak and Backpack take up her three Torso slots.)
Grimm and the Wolf are the two biggest fighters and Grimm is the skilled dungeoneer... Grimm should have a satchel and not a backpack (which he picked already). For Clough, he's got both Dungoneer and Fighter, but at lower levels. He could choose either, depending on what gear he wants to have personally handy.

Ganna is the cook - she's likely to bring the tinderbox and also food. She also has her hands free - she might consider taking a lantern and stocking with oil rather than torches (she'll keep a lantern in one hand and keep the second free for her wand or anything else).

Everyone has a waterskin on their belt which is a handy way to individually take care of "hungry and thirsty" as a condition. It is ONE condition, so either eating OR drinking alleviates it. Anyone can also eat a whole ration and be fine, too. The purpose of the Cook skill is that, if we advance the grind (and EVERYONE gets hungry and thirsty) we can camp and the Cook can use his/her skill to stretch rations. So, one ration can potentially feed the whole party and they go much further. Fresh rations take more room but are easier to cook with, preserved rations pack more tightly but have a +1 obstacle on your test.

(Note that it lets you pick water OR wine in your skin... unless your roleplaying a prohibitionist, it is a good idea for everyone to take wine. Wine can either alleviate "Hungry and Thirsty" or grants a +1D to recover from "Angry" or "Afraid.")

Also note that Genna has the option of filling the "hand/worn, neck/worn" slots with "Spell Supplies." If you can imagine something that would help with the Arcane Semblance spell (the book recommendation is a "lump of clay to be molded") that can be worn (perhaps in a locket or compartment-ring) then she can have it. The contents are expendable but give a +1D on a spell check when she needs it. This doesn't apply to anyone else as nobody else is a spellcaster and nothing else on the starting gear list can go in those slots.

It's also worth noting that you need to take space in your pack for sacks, which allow you to carry items later. A small sack lets you carry two items in one hand, a large sack lets you carry six items with two hands. The wolf can carry/drag a small or large sack with his mouth. Grimm's both hands are taken up with a crossbow so he can't ever carry sacks. Ganna or Claugh could carry a large sack if the other holds the lantern.

Grimm already kitted-out - he has a Rope, Spikes, and Hammer to help his dungeoneering exploits (and other creative uses). He carries a crossbow/quiver and has 3 preserved rations to get us started.

Ganna gets a backpack (yay six slots) and her red riding hooded cloak (which helps recover from things when you need to be warm). She does NOT require a spellbook (save two slots over a wizard) and is interested in the Tinderbox. That leaves her 5 slots in her backpack and one in her pouch for rations, torches/oil, and sacks.

Clough is currently listed with a satchel, cloak, and rope. He has preserved rations (should be listed as x3 for inventory in one slot), oil x2, and a tinderbox. He has thieves tools in his pouch (Good choice.) He also chose to carry a lantern. If he's our scout/thief, he might want to take both hands to carry a 10' pole, which gives a +1D bonus to scouting and checking for traps, instead of the lantern.

Either Ganna or Clough needs the tinderbox (usually not both). Either Ganna or Clough can use the lantern (either can carry oil).

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Tancred has his hands full too, the lance is hand/carried 2
When used in open quarters while astride a mount, a lance grants +1D to Attack and Maneuver and bypasses leather and chain armor. A successful disarm maneuver can unseat a mounted opponent. If used in close quarters or on foot, a lance is an improvised weapon.
Two-handed weapons can be carried in a single hand, but may not be slung. They require two hands to use in combat. If your hands are full when you engage in combat, you drop what you're holding in order to wield your weapon.
Improvised weapon - In general, an improvised weapon counts as supplies (+1D) for the action and is expended at the end of the test.
- I guess this represents using the lance on foot and having your opponent hack it to bits.

I would also argue that a 12' lance could also be used a supplies in the same way a 10' pole would be used.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Marullus »

Yes, Tancred is in Group #2.

The Forsaken Ridder is proscribed and gets no choices in starting gear:
Without a coin in your purse, you have fallen on desperate times. In your travels to find a new beginning, you have consumed all but one portion of your rations. When creating your character, you do not get to choose your starting equipment and gear. Instead, use this list of items as your starting inventory.
Water in skin
Torches (2)
Preserved Rations (1)
Choose a satchel or a backpack
Helmet
Lance
War Horse, (see “Rider,” Torchbearer, page 141)
Your horse carries bits and spurs, a saddle and bridle, and a saddle blanket.
...you can just fill out your inventory and be done.

That leaves the Halfling and Dwarf Oathbreaker.

Sharing this as a suggestion, if Enoch allows it. It's in the Freebooting suppliment.
Frying Pan, Ob 1, hand/carried, belt/weapon, or pack 1.
Great for sautéing or knocking out a goblin. Provides a total +2D to Cook tests when preparing meals with garlic as supplies. Counts as a weapon in a physical conflict so you don’t suffer the penalty for being Unarmed.
It's not as good as the halfling's mace (meat tenderizer?) in a fight, but is soo delightfully thematic. :)

Easier to light 3 than 4, I suppose, if someone carries a lantern. The remaining choices are all between the Halfling and Dwarf. They're both Fighters - not sure if either wants a backpack over a satchel. Divide up enough food and oil between them. The good news is that the empty slots on the Ridder will help bring treasure home...

Group #2:
NECK: - Garlic

HANDS (worn): -family grater, (think microplane zester) incorporated into the back of a glove

TORSO: -Leather armor
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: -thieving tools
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: -Tinderbox
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - small sack (2)

BELT (weapon): - Mace (tenderizer hammer)
BELT (skin): - wine

HANDS (carry): - Lance
HANDS (carry): - (ditto)

SATCHEL: - 2 torches
SATCHEL: - 1 preserved rations
SATCHEL: -

BELT (skin): - Water
- (Dwarven Oathbreaker)

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#38 Post by shroomofinsanity »

so that frying pan seems pretty neat, my idea was using a large tenderizer hammer thematically, as i am prepping meat before i even kill it first. However the image of a mad halfling with a frying pan beating a monster into submission sounds pretty hilarious, and i do have neck garlic, so there we go. That depends on Enoch of course, I'm fine with either weapon honestly, just let me know.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Marullus »

*bump*
How's everyone doing? :)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »