Session 0 Gear Discussion

Marullus
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 0 Gear Discussion

#41 Post by drpete »

I think I'm ready, but open to suggestions.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rex »

I think I am set.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Marullus »

Group #1
- Ganna the Witch has three slots of fresh rations (each x2) and three slots of oil (each x2). She also has a tinderbox and carries a lantern.
- Grimm the Dwarf has one slot of preserved rations (x3) and carries two small sacks, hammer, iron spikes, and rope.
- Clough the Thief has one slot of preserved rations (x3), one slot of oil (x2), and thieves tools. He carries a second tinderbox, rope, and lantern.
- The wolf doesn't carry anything.

...that seems pretty well equipped to me.

Group #2
- Tancred the Ridder has one slot of preserved rations (x3), one slot of torches (x4), and no choices in the matter.
- Haar the Halfling has thieves tools, a tinderbox, and one slot of small sacks (x2).
- Rossik's oathbreaker dwarf hasn't posted.

Haar has an empty belt pouch - he might want to start with some torches/oil or rations. He could carry a lantern.
Haar has an empty torso slot. He could add a cloak, rope, or quiver.
Haar has an instinct to get food frequently in game (entering new rooms with foraging, after defeating a foe with cook). It might still be good to start with some food.

This group can be easily lit with a lantern (as a lantern provides light for 3 and the group only has 3). It is a good suggestion for Rossik to take lantern and oil.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by drpete »

Out of curiosity, can the wolf eat our foes to combat hungry/thirsty?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Marullus »

Technically, anyone can if your cooking roll is good enough. ;) I am gathering that to be the Halfling's "delicacy" schtick and I look forward to it! :D

For a normal group, the Cook roll determines if you end up with something palletable, with an inedible result, ruining the meat (failure with a twist), or whether it is good but makes you Sick (success with a condition). The morality of eating certain foes is the province of Beliefs and results in potential XP. :)

For a wolf, he is barred from ever learning or rolling the Cook skill. So, I would say that his ability to sniff out the choice bits without consequence would be rolled under his Hunter nature. Or, it might just be a "say yes" moment that isn't a turn/action. Not sure what Enoch will do if that ever comes up, though.

For THIS wolf, he answered his nature question that he has come to prefer the delicacies of human food and prefers the treats of "Granny's" basket than actually working and hunting on his own. All wolves do have the Ravenous trait, though, and he might or might not be picky in play. We'll see.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

drpete wrote:Out of curiosity, can the wolf eat our foes to combat hungry/thirsty?
There's a blog out on the 'web somewhere with a posts called "Can you eat that?", listing what each type of D&D creature/race/etc tastes like and what magic affects eating it has. But I'm at work and that site is blocked so I'll have to wait until tonight to post a link to it.

Found the pdf: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwIV4t ... A2SGc/view

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#47 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Hey, I was waiting to see what my cohorts wanted to take and I would fill in the gaps. With a preference towards a lantern and oil as that leads to more opportunities to "live off the land" as it were and make it easier to start larger, hotter fires. I was unsure as to how much food i would really need at first, and I think he would demand fresh food when possible so he would only store fresh rations unless he absolutely had to take preserved, (always eat second breakfast). I think i will be going cloak that i will also use as my chefs apron and tablecloth. I have wine form myself, and I can cook the preserved rations the ridder has to feed the party, so that should be fine, and anything i pick up can go in a small sack that I can hold. How does that sound?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Marullus »

Haar has an empty belt pouch - he might want to start with some torches/oil or rations. He could carry a lantern.
Haar has an instinct to get food frequently in game (entering new rooms with foraging, after defeating a foe with cook). It might still be good to start with some food.
So, you're adding a cloak on your torso and small sacks (x2) in your belt pouch?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Stirling »

Edited Clough to carry spikes x6 instead of tinderbox.

If I carry a small sack in one hand, what extra could I put in it? Another sack, a hammer, extra oil?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Marullus »

Stirling wrote:.
If I carry a small sack in one hand, what extra could I put in it? Another sack, a hammer, extra oil?
A small sack can hold two slots of inventory. (Turning one Held slot into two Pack slots)

A large sack takes both hands and turns them into 6 pack slots.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

shroomofinsanity wrote:... and I can cook the preserved rations the ridder has to feed the party, ...
Mmmmm, beef jerky soup with desecrated vegetables. http://www.civilwarmed.org/vegetables/

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by Enoch »

I love the idea that the vegetables have been desecrated. do we have a dark priest amongst our number?
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I used to do Civil War re-enacting. In order to prevent scurvy 19th-century armies would have desiccated (dehydrated) vegetables as rations.
Now Civil War Army Rations were fairly similar for both sides on paper, in reality the southern rations were normally not as good due to manufacturing and transportation problems. Everyone probably knows about the hard tack and salted beef and pork served to the troops by both sides during the civil war. But have you heard about desiccated vegetables.

Since fresh vegetables spoiled quickly, were heavy and hard to transport, a product called desiccated vegetables was issued to the troops. This product was a mixture of potatoes, cabbage, turnip, carrots, parsnips, beets, tomatoes, onions, peas, beans, lentils and celery. The vegetables were cleaned, shredded, mixed, dried and pressed into hard blocks. From the description of the products, they use a massive press to compress them and then dried the compressed blocks in large ovens. These blocks were expected to soften when boiled. They claimed a cubic yard of desiccated vegetables could contain 16,000 portions.

As a member of the 3rd Iowa Cavalry Regiment reported, however, “We have boiled, baked, fried, stewed, pickled, sweetened, salted it and tried it in puddings, cakes and pies; but it sets all modes of cooking in defiance, so the boys break it up and smoke it in their pipes!” These were never very popular with the troops and were often called “desecrated vegetables”.
I've made hardtack before.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Marullus »

You missed the joke, Bill. :)

desiccated and desecrated are very different things. ;)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:
Group #2
- Tancred the Ridder has one slot of preserved rations (x3), one slot of torches (x4), and no choices in the matter.
- Haar the Halfling has thieves tools, a tinderbox, and one slot of small sacks (x2).
- Rossik's oathbreaker dwarf hasn't posted.

This group can be easily lit with a lantern (as a lantern provides light for 3 and the group only has 3). It is a good suggestion for Rossik to take lantern and oil.
Harr added a cloak and two small sacks.

That means it is really up to Rossik to bring the lantern and oil. If we set him up that way -
HEAD: -
NECK: - Heirloom Item (1D Treasure)

HANDS (worn): -
HANDS (worn): -
HANDS (carry): -
HANDS (carry): - Lantern

TORSO: - satchel
TORSO: - hide armor
TORSO: - (hide armor)
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Flask of Oil (x2)
BACKPACK: -

BELT (pouch): - Preserved Rations (x3)
BELT (weapon): - Hand Axe
BELT (skin): - Wine
FEET: - Dwarfy Boots
The group should be able to move forward...

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#56 Post by shroomofinsanity »

my apologies gents, I forgot to submit my sheet the other night. I added a lantern, the two sacks, and 2 lantern oils to my pouch, I can switch the placement if needed for logic, but yeah.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Marullus wrote:You missed the joke, Bill. :)

desiccated and desecrated are very different things. ;)
No I didn't, I knew what I was talking about. The soldiers called them desecrated because they were nearly inedible.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Marullus »

shroomofinsanity wrote:my apologies gents, I forgot to submit my sheet the other night. I added a lantern, the two sacks, and 2 lantern oils to my pouch, I can switch the placement if needed for logic, but yeah.
Okay, I will leave it to you and Rossik to sort out things between you. :)

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by rossik »

Marullus wrote:
shroomofinsanity wrote:my apologies gents, I forgot to submit my sheet the other night. I added a lantern, the two sacks, and 2 lantern oils to my pouch, I can switch the placement if needed for logic, but yeah.
Okay, I will leave it to you and Rossik to sort out things between you. :)

nice! whats left?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Marullus »

Group #2
- Haar the Halfling has thieves tools, a tinderbox, one slot of small sacks (x2), a cloak, a lantern, and flask of oil (x2)
- Rossik's oathbreaker dwarf has Preserved Rations (x3), a lantern, and flask of oil (x6).

You need to decide if you want two lanterns, if you want that much oil, and if you want anything else from the gear list which you don't currently have. :)

You can look here for what the available gear is.

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”