Character Generation

Shonuff
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Character Generation

#1 Post by Shonuff »

Stats: 4d6 drop lowest. You can move the stats wherever you want to create the preferred character.

Races: Human, Elf(all subraces), Dwarf(all subraces), Halfling, Half Elf, Half orc, Half Ogre, Humanoids including bugbear, centaur, gnoll, hobgoblin, goblin. Anything else in particular, just post here and ask. i'm easy to get along with.

Classes: all core classes and complete books. (except necromancer & chronomancer) anything in dragon magazine or elsewhere you want, ask here.

You'll be starting a gothic germany type area, inside a big city.. so desert nomad kits or druids may find it a bit..uncomfortable.

You can use the point buy system if you want, but i'm not looking for everyone to use it. i'll check the points, but don't get too crazy with the power builds.

Campaign: 92

Shonuff
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Character Generation

#2 Post by Shonuff »

Elves

Elves on Thaaed are much different than most other fantasy worlds.

During one of the previous Ages, when Dragons ruled every inch of land, and the other races knelt down to the winged kings and queens, Oppression hung over everyone's heads. A lone human rose up and gathered an army and it grew. Elves, dwarves and halflings joined his cause. They marched across the land, throwing throne after throne into the fires. They reclaimed the lands from the scaled tyrants until only one known female lived. Upon the assault, other dragon slaves fought against the massive army, and as they attempted to assault the Queen's cave, the elves turned and left. The army's force was cut by a third, and the assault failed, but the people of Thaaed were free. This is known throughout history as "The Great Offense".

The elves walled themselves off and became insular. Did not come out or trade with any outside race.

It was just recently, within the last one hundred years, have the elves opened their gates and began to mix with the other races of Thaaed. Often times, elves can be seen throughout the world, but most people give the elf , an ignoring attitude at best, open hostility at worst. Any elf who saves the life of a human or dwarf or halfling, will wear a red armband or sash. This being the universal sign of the Elf's bloodline being forgiven for their forefather's Great Offense. Any elf that is harmed by another race because of the great offense but wears the red armband or sash is swiftly defended by others. Out of honor, no elf would wear the red armband or sash until a human or dwarf says to them " I forgive your family of past sins".

Elven attitudes for the Great Offense or the act of forgivness for past ofenses, run the gamut from apologetic to even returned hostility. Most high or gray elves nod solemnly and accept their lot from their family, but wood elves and the other subraces often believe they don't deserve the grief from their family's transgressions. Young elves are slowly beginning to think they should be judged for their own actions, not that of their grandparents.

Either way, Elves still follow the traditions of the red, and take personal fault for the past. Their activity outside their walled cities and attempt to reintegrate themselves into society marks their attempt at racial apology.

FYI - no elf will say what made their forefathers turn away from that fateful battle.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by NJWilliam »

Where do half-elves fit in with the Great Offense business?
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Shonuff
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Shonuff »

NJWilliam wrote:Where do half-elves fit in with the Great Offense business?
It depends on which side of the family bloodline they embrace.

They try to be "human"....nothing...

They fly their "elf flag"... they better wear the red armband.

Most half elves can be mistaken for small or lithe humans anyway.. plus facial hair will really hide an elf side.

MOST shops and taverns in the capitol of Gothmoor ignore the Offense, "coin is coin is coin" but if the patron comes in all acting haughty or better than, as most suspect Elves to do, they will get " The business". Elf comes into a tavern, hood up, no armband showing, and just asks for a drink..they get served with pretty much close to ignoring them. all depends on how the elf (or half elf) handles themselves. Gothmoor is a city of neutrality... as long as everyone acts as such.

JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#5 Post by JobaTett »

If I multi-class a Mage and a Thief, can I still pick kits for each of them? 'cause I can't pick between a Mage and an assassin type, so I was thinking kind of a Mage-Acrobat and might use kits for that.

JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#6 Post by JobaTett »

Kit Proposal:

Equipment: In order to make use of their Acrobatic skills, Acrobats favor the least and lightest equipment possible. If the optional encumbrance rules (Player's Handbook, pp. 76-79) are used, Acrobats should not be permitted more than light encumbrance. Acrobats may encumber themselves more in special situations (e.g., carrying a wounded comrade to safety, hauling a great hoard of treasure), but they will invariably seek to divest themselves of the excess weight at the first opportunity.

Special Benefits: The abilities of jumping, tumbling, and tightrope walking are so crucial to this kit that the Acrobat should be able to have them as special abilities even if the DM has chosen not to use the nonweapon proficiency system. Further, because of their intense training with these skills, Acrobats should get a bonus of +1 whenever a proficiency check is required. This bonus is +2 if the Acrobat is wearing no armor (and, under the optional encumbrance rules, is unencumbered).

Weapon Proficiencies: Because of their specialization in the art of killing, Assassins, unlike thieves of other kits, are permitted the use of any weapon. An Assassin often selects one favored weapon, such as a garotte or serrated dagger (or even something exotic, such as blowgun darts with an exotic insect poison from a distant jungle), to use for his killings. If the Assassin achieves infamy, the marks of this weapon may become known as a sort of "calling card."

Nonweapon Proficiencies: Required: Trailing, Disguise.

Special Hindrances: Because of the time they spend on weapons and poisons, Assassins advance more slowly in thieves' skills than thieves of other kits. They start with only 40 discretionary points to allocate at 1st level, and with each level gained they receive only 20 points to distribute among the skills.
Assassins are generally feared and shunned. Therefore an Assassin suffers a -4 reaction penalty with non-evil NPCs who are aware of his profession.

Special Benefits: Because of their training and experience with the use of poisons, Assassins also can identify poisons used by others. The base chance of doing so is the Assassin's level multiplied by 5%.
Assassins with intelligence of 13-15 get a +5% bonus on the attempt; 16-17, a +10% bonus; and 18, +15%. Further adjustments depend on how the Assassin attempts the identification: sight, smell, taste, or symptoms.
Sight means examination of the poison or poisoned article. Many poisons have a distinctive appearance, or they may have a corrosive or discoloring effect on metals, foods, etc. Identification by sight has a -20% modifier. Its advantage is that the Assassin needn't worry about poisoning himself in the process.
A poison may also be identified by its odor. This carries a -15% penalty. Furthermore, if it is an ingested or contact poison, there is a 10% chance that the Assassin will be affected by the poison, though at half strength (i.e., no effect if the saving throw is successful, and if it's not, normal save damage is applied—see the Dungeon Master's Guide, p. 73).
Taste is a fairly reliable, if dangerous, method of identifying a poison. It carries a -5% penalty. After dabbing a tiny bit on his tongue, the Assassin spits it out. There is still a chance that the poison will affect the Assassin: 25% for injected poison, 75% for ingested, and 100% for contact. The poison's effects, if any, are half strength (see above).
The most certain way of identifying a poison is by its symptom (no penalty on the attempt). The drawback of this method is of course that you need a poisoned character to examine.
An Assassin with herbalism proficiency gets a +5% identification bonus because of his knowledge of toxins extracted from plants. An Assassin with healing proficiency gets a +10% bonus in any case. These bonuses are not cumulative.
An attempt to identify a poison takes one round; be sure to keep track of time elapsed and the onset time of the poison. If one method of identification fails, the next may be tried. If none of the four produce an answer then the poison will remain a mystery to that Assassin. (The Assassin could attempt identification again after he's gained an experience level, but this is not normally of any help.)
Identification of a poison also means knowledge of its antidote (if one exists); it does not mean that the antidote is available, however. An Assassin with herbalism proficiency may attempt to make an antidote from scratch (see special rules, p. 113).

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by NJWilliam »

Just getting started, but almost certainly halfling or dwarf arcane, but possibly a halfling archer if it's allowed from Complete Fighter.

Do any racial maxes (halfling dex, or dwarf con) exceed 18? YES

Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#8 Post by JobaTett »

Dwarves cannot usually use magic...like EVER. Just though I'd let you know that.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by NJWilliam »

JobaTett wrote:Dwarves cannot usually use magic...like EVER. Just though I'd let you know that.
Um, thanks I guess. I'm more interested in the DM's approach, however.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#10 Post by JobaTett »

NJWilliam wrote:
JobaTett wrote:Dwarves cannot usually use magic...like EVER. Just though I'd let you know that.
Um, thanks I guess. I'm more interested in the DM's approach, however.
Yeah, I know. But I just though I'd throw that bit o' knowledge out there anyway. It's best to have lots o' facts, ya know?

JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#11 Post by JobaTett »

Um, quick question. Am I not in this game? I just want to make sure I didn't post in the wrong game lol

Shonuff
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Shonuff »

JobaTett wrote:Um, quick question. Am I not in this game? I just want to make sure I didn't post in the wrong game lol

i'l go down the line of your posts.

1. I don't mind as long as the two kits do not counteract each other or not work together.
2. The kit you posted is ok.
3. Dwarves can USE magic.. dwarves have the ability to cast magic in my world.. and class/race restrictions in MY WORLD.. are gone. But the ones that normally do not .
4. My world.... my rules. I even posted a word doc on my campaign world for everyone to peruse.
5. You are in this game. you did not post in the wrong game.

JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#13 Post by JobaTett »

Shonuff wrote:
JobaTett wrote:Um, quick question. Am I not in this game? I just want to make sure I didn't post in the wrong game lol

i'l go down the line of your posts.

1. I don't mind as long as the two kits do not counteract each other or not work together.
2. The kit you posted is ok.
3. Dwarves can USE magic.. dwarves have the ability to cast magic in my world.. and class/race restrictions in MY WORLD.. are gone. But the ones that normally do not .
4. My world.... my rules. I even posted a word doc on my campaign world for everyone to peruse.
5. You are in this game. you did not post in the wrong game.
Cool.
Thanks
I'm fine with that. And BTB Dwarves can be Clerics anyway.
I know, but it never loaded, lol. And I didn't mean to undermine you as a DM, I just thought I'd point it out in case he missed it in rules.
Cool. My character is almost done.

Shonuff
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Shonuff »

lets hope the others start coming in and making their characters.

Shonuff
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Shonuff »

still waiting for thirdpotion and two others to finish their sheets.

then i'll pm you your intro, and then we can kick this puppy off.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Computer +1 »

My sheet will be up tonight!

Shonuff
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by Shonuff »

Joba... i just read your kit and your sheet.... ;)

we playing Assassin's Creed a bit much? :lol:

JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#18 Post by JobaTett »

Shonuff wrote:Joba... i just read your kit and your sheet.... ;)

we playing Assassin's Creed a bit much? :lol:
OMG I LOOOOVE that game lol. Besides, I need inspiration when making a character. So it was between this and a lonely mage, so yeah... lol :lol:

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Cwreando »

I moved it to the Character sheet.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Shonuff
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by Shonuff »

Cwreando wrote:I moved it to the Character sheet.
awesome...

one or two more to go, and we can light this rocket.

Return to “Gothmoor: City of Shadows II”