Chapter 3: In the Deep Places of the World

Inferno
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: In the Deep Places of the World

#341 Post by Urson »

Therone
Do we know of another bolthole to hide in? Master Folco- I believe you have seen more of the tunnels than the rest of us.
FA FO

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#342 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Yes, Folco, you were the only one who really got much chance to see past the troll corpse. What's over there?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#344 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco continues trying to follow the path of the smoke, hoping it might be venting out towards another exit somewhere. He tries to convey this idea to the others.

"There is another dead end in one direction where we might be able to hide. There is a rather large pile of dead orcs that nobody saw me kill just past this troll carcass, and another passage where all the orcs came from in the other direction. Seriously, there is like.....20 dead orcs right over there. I killed them with fire, and got a little singed myself." The hobbit points to the pile and then to himself.

"I would be willing to scout ahead silently, but if I cant see them, and they can see me, I dont like the way that might turn out. I will lead the way if you think we can find a better place to hide, but wouldn't mind a little more muscle at my back."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by wolfpack »

excellent work against the orcs master falco, perhaps we should make sure you stay flush with oil in the future.

i will accompany you in scouting ahead, let us proceed before reinforcements arrive.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilly looks up, puts her waterskin away, and uses Red and the wall to help her stand up. Fresh blood runs down her sides and drips off her stiff pants. She points a crooked finger (broken from countless fights) and says, "I agree with the Dunedain...er...that one!" She points at Elbenarin. "West might allow us to skirt the majority of the enemy. There ain't no place to defend outside. And if we flee to the damned woods, the fragging Orcs will swarm us. If I'm gonna die, I'd rather die in a tunnel with dirt and stone around me, than huggin' some fraggin' tree!" Her voice echoes up and down the tunnels as her pain increases, stoking her frustration.

Gilly spits blood, digs in her pack and finds a piece of dried meat for Red and one for herself.
"But, I'm only one person. We be in this together. So, whatever the majority decides...I'm in."
Winter is coming...

Scott308

#347 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Ahh, Gilly-Girl... If you want to stay here, I'm not going to argue to leave. You make some good points. Whatever we decide, we have to go somewhere. If we stay here talking too long, we deserve to die where we stand. Folco, I want to get a look at all the orcs you killed, then we can continue on that direction. I'll be out front since the rest of you hogged all the fighting on me- gotta make sure I get my swings in when we run into something else. Axe ready, Glasik starts to head down the western tunnel before turning to see if anyone is following along.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

Rumil follows Glasik.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by hedgeknight »

Scott308 wrote:Glasik Ironfoot
Ahh, Gilly-Girl... If you want to stay here, I'm not going to argue to leave. You make some good points. Whatever we decide, we have to go somewhere. If we stay here talking too long, we deserve to die where we stand. Folco, I want to get a look at all the orcs you killed, then we can continue on that direction. I'll be out front since the rest of you hogged all the fighting on me- gotta make sure I get my swings in when we run into something else. Axe ready, Glasik starts to head down the western tunnel before turning to see if anyone is following along.

Painfully, Gilly walks over to her brother and leans on his shoulder...like she used to do when they were children. She murmurs something to him, her voice barely above a whisper...
"If'n I don't make it, ye canna leave me in this fraggin' Orc hole! Promise me, now, brother. Take me bones back to the Grey Mountains and lay me under."
Winter is coming...

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Gilwennen picks up the rock with the light spell cast upon it and moves to follow the dwarves. She’ll look questioningly at the others.“We must move somewhere. And with all haste,” she says.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by Urson »

Therone
That many, Folco? I am impressed. Therone lets a tiny amount of mockery show in her voice. She takes up a position near the back, ready to protect the others' escape, if needed.
FA FO

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#352 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Let's move then, says Tinuwen. She follows the others deeper into the cave.
Last edited by SocraticLawyer on Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by rredmond »

Naruthirdor wonders aloud, not yelling but loud enough to be heard, "are we even listening to each other? I'm not sure if we are heading west or out of the cave. But I am sure if we split the party, it is likely we will all die." If folks continue on their course, then Naruthirdor counts party members and heads with the largest crew shaking his head. Perhaps a decision chart, or some sort of graphical table would help this crew to choose a way, he thinks to himself, then continuing his head shaking, no, no it wouldn't.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Scott308

#354 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Glasik whispers a reply to his sister.
The only way I'll leave you in this cave is if I fall as well. I'll carry you all over Middle Earth if need be, sis. But I am NOT letting these damned Orcs and Uruks get the better of us. The Ironfeet have more to their story than dying in this stinking tunnel!

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin begins moving west

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 22, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Four. Damp, cold

As the Company debates whether to flee from this terrible place or plunge deeper into the dread enemy's camp, Folco drags a hideous inhuman corpse eastward. On it he finds more bloodstained coins of Mordor, each stamped with the all seeing eye of Sauron.

For just a moment, Folco feels as if the eye is looking at him. As if Sauron is looking at him. What are they doing here? What hope do they have against Sauron the Dark Lord, the undisputed master of Middle Earth?!

Folco swallows his fear and volunteers to scout west. Elbenwin the ranger will join him. Gilwennen the elf collects her enchanted stone to light the way.

Blind and holding their breath, the Company slowly navigates the roiling clouds of Folco's bonfire...

...painstakingly inching past the grisly, burned orc bodies...

...emerging from the stench and the choking fumes into a chamber carved from the rock by cunning orc miners. The cavity is more cave than room, and is empty save for a pair of bone dice on the floor and a few overturned stools that are little more than log stumps.

Gilwennen's wondrous illumination melts away 20 feet of pitch shadow; not enough to see the guard post's western wall. If the scouts wish to advance more than 20 feet ahead of the Company into these deadly, unknown territories, they'll need their own lightsource.

Actions?!

Map:

Only the lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 7/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 8/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 5/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 2/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 21/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 6/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl, Light spell
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 3/8, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 2/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • Light (Gilwennen): Duration: 48 rounds
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Gilwennen will cautiously edge southwards and towards the west wall to hopefully reveal the entirety of the room they are in and determine if they've come to a dead end or not.

"Surely any orc within hearing came for the fight at the entrance - they would have joined the fray when they thought to have the advantage. I suspect we are alone for the moment. I hope I am correct," she says, one hand extended with the pebble, the other resting on the hilt of Naringë.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

Rumil follows along, sword at the ready.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone readies her bow and moves to where Folco is (on the map). She'll hold position, providing cover for anyone exploring the rest of the room. She looks a bit green from the stench of burning humanoid flesh.
FA FO

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin will light his lantern

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”