Chapter 3: In the Deep Places of the World

Inferno
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: In the Deep Places of the World

#301 Post by rredmond »

Cursing the loss of the torch, frustrated and out of spells, Naruthirdor prepares a candle (the only light source he has) to light, but doesn't light it yet. Weak as a light source, he also figures that the Uruks are fully lit up, given the party an advantage, so he'll hold off on lighting it. He ensures his magic dagger is in his other hand. He scans the dark night outside, again, as well. "Saruman loves you not!" He yells in orcish... not as well-versed in expletives as the others.
Any moon at all, or pitch black?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#302 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco draws his elven blade and turns his back to the party, moving a little closer to the troll.

He watches and listens for anymore threats that might be coming up from behind while the others whittle away at the grunting rabble.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#303 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 22, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Four. Damp, cold

Suddenly, Naruthirdor the elf gets a strange premonition. But before he can turn around, the Company is ambushed on its rear flank!

From the shadows of the bramble-choked ravine, sneaking skulking fiends (G20, G22) loose barbed arrows into Naruthirdor's back!

The elf cries out as three of the spiteful missiles sink deep! (10hp damage) Naruthirdor falls forward, against the Dunedain brothers!

Gilly's Uruk oppressor laughs with merry hate as he continues her death by a thousand cuts! (2hp damage) The valiant dwarf is on her last legs! Glasik regrips his baleful ax, wishing there was something he could do!

Folco draws his luminous elf blade and stands watch against the roiling smoke of his bonfire, expecting another insidious sneak attack!

"It's not too late to surrender, Uruk-Hai!" snarls Therone as she dodges a hungry blade!

"But it's too late for you, isn't it my pretty?!" comes the black-hearted reply.

Rumil's oil flask sails wide and the broad Uruk shields withstand another assault! And then suddenly, two more of their number fall dead beneath the glittering sword of Tinuwen the elf and the fell-handed pick of Gilly the dwarf!

The bestial monsters' line is sundered! The Company sees the last of the Uruks (U12 and U13) have fresh arrow wounds! The shafts have been cut away but their chests are soaked with ebon blood!

Actions?!

Map:

Only the lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 6/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 8/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 5/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 2/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 21/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 6/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl, Light spell
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: -2/8, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 1/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • Light (Gilwennen): Duration: 52 rounds
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone snatches her dagger from the sheath on her belt and throws it at (U12)
att [1d20+4] = 13+4 = 17 missile [1d4] = 4
FA FO

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by rredmond »

"Well that's unfortunate," Naruthirdor gurgles as he sees a backful of Ranger heading at his face before it all goes black.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin looses his footing when something pushes up against him in melee. Casting a quick glance at his brother, he knows they are both in dire straights. "Brother! Let the strength of the Dunedain guide your hand true! Stand fast against these abominations of Middle Earth!"

Long Sword Attack [1d20+1] = 11+1 = 12 (THACO=19)
Long Sword Damage = S/M: [1d8+1] = 5+1 = 6 +2=8/ L: [1d12+1] = 10+1 = 11+2=13

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

If an opening appears in our line, Rumil will step in and attack the nearest Orc.

"Folco, watch our backs."

If needed
Long Sword [1d20+3] = 5+3 = 8 to hit [1d8+3] = 6+3 = 9 damage

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#309 Post by SocraticLawyer »

In a single graceful motion, Tinuwen steps back, sheathes her blade, and draws Baudhring. She fires off two arrows at G12.

To hit with bow [1d20+5] = 16+5 = 21
To hit with bow [1d20+5] = 1+5 = 6
Damage from arrow [1d6] = 4
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#310 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco hates feeling useless during the fight, but in his current condition, decides to take Rumil's advice and watch the parties rear.

He sticks close to the wall and tries to blend in to the shadows there in case something does come calling.

He keeps a sharp eye on the smoke, hoping nothing comes through it.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#311 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin moves forward around the corner to attack u12 and at the same time try to get out of the line of fire from the entrance

[1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#312 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Seeing the Uruks fall, enabling a few of those on the front line to back away without leaving themselves open to attack, Glasik calls out to his sister. Step back, Gilly girl. Let me get in on the fun!

If somebody moves out of the way, he will step forward and begin wreaking vengeance upon the foul denizens of the tunnel (U13). That is for hurting my sister, you festering pile of otyugh manure! he shouts in Orcish!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#313 Post by hedgeknight »

Spots dancing before her eyes, her head fuzzy from the loss of blood, Gilly uses her pick to keep herself from falling.
She hears her brother say something off to her right, but her ears are ringing and she really can't focus.
Another Uruk looms in front of her and she swings wildly, her strength almost gone.
Footman's Pick: [1d20] = 4 Damage: [2d4+1] = 3+1 = 4

Sensing his master's plight, Red steps around her and tries to bite anything that comes near.
Red Attacks: [1d20] = 12 Bite Dmg: [1d4] = 1
Winter is coming...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 22, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Four. Damp, cold

The unforgiving battle for life and death rages on! The Company is ambushed on their northern flank by corrupted, heinous orcs ! To the south, the Uruk-hai line has been sundered by elvish sword and dwarvish ax but the barbaric atrocities of Sauron will not relent!

Naruthirdor's lifeless, arrow-riddled body is dragged toward the cave mouth as Elbenarin and Elbenwin are beset on both sides!
"Brother! Let the strength of the Dunedain guide your hand true! Stand fast against these abominations of Middle Earth!" cries Elbenarin. His brother ranger fends off a hungry Uruk blade with his shield as an insidious craven fiend (G20) backstabs him with a hooked spear! (1hp damage)

Gilly ducks beneath the slash of a charging Uruk that blocks Elbenwin's escape (U12)! And Therone is narrowly missed by a fell handed blow that would have ended her!

As Folco watches from hiding the billowing smokescreen on their western flank, Tinuwen fires an arrow through the eye of a lurking orc in the eastern channel (G12), killing him instantly! Therone too fells a vile assailant (U13), with a well thrown dagger!

Glasik finally breaks into the line, coming to the aid of his grievously wounded sister! The dwarf warrior hews an Uruk monster (U12) to the ground with his fearsome ax!

One ferocious Uruk-hai remains (U11). True to his warlike kind, he will fight to the death with gleeful malevolence.

Actions?!

Map:

Only the lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 6/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 7/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 5/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 2/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 21/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 6/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl, Light spell
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: -3/8, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 1/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • Light (Gilwennen): Duration: 52 rounds
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by Urson »

Therone
With a banshee shriek, Therone moves to attack (U 11). She misses, horribly.
[1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5 sword
FA FO

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin continues to try and fight of the orcs

[1d20+1] = 5+1 = 6

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#318 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Stepping toward the final Uruk, Glasik growls, Wanna dance, sweetheart? Unfortunately, as he steps over the bodies of dead foes, he stumbles just enough to throw the angle of his axe off, causing it to clang harmlessly off of armor instead of biting into flesh.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#319 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen fires off two more arrows at the last of the Uruk-Hai.

To hit with bow [1d20+5] = 6+5 = 11
To hit with bow [1d20+5] = 6+5 = 11
Wow.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

Not seeing any way to attack the orcs without risking his friends Rumil will keep an eye on Folco and the other tunnels.

"Have you seen anything Folco?"

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”