Character Creation

Marullus
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation

#141 Post by Rex »

Thanks. I will most likely change it. I am heading out shortly for the woods and wont be back until Monday night.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Final Steps

#142 Post by Enoch »

Here are the final steps in character creation:

Step 15: Level

You're level 1.

Step 16: Starting Rewards

I'm convinced they added this step to impress upon you what an outcast you are, as you don't start with any by RAW. This is metacurrency used to alter dice rolls. Because PbP tends to move slower, we'll start with 1 Persona and 2 Fate. (We will discuss how this works in a later post.)

Step 17: Name

Even if the Prince's men call you "monster", you still have a name.

Step 18: Raiment

What is the one distinctive thing your character wears?

Step 19: Age

Choose your age. This has no mechanical effect, so choose whatever best fits your ideas about your character.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Stirling »

I think I have done all this. Perhaps some tweaks needed that you experts could point to.

I will establish a goal when I know more of the starting scenario.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Marullus »

Sheet updated!

I would like to establish that Great Wolves have longer , human-length lifespans. (I can't be a good Loremaster or creature of legend if I am three years old.)

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#145 Post by Enoch »

That's certainly fine with me; the two main inspirations I am familiar with for intelligent wolves are the orc-mount wargs (and the talking wolves of C.S. Lewis would fall into this category) and the venerable wise forest wolves. The latter get a little ridiculous if limited to a normal wolf's lifespan.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Rex »

I think I am all set, added a picture. Missing her signature cloak but its in the grass somewhere.

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#147 Post by rossik »

is my pc ok? where should i start posting?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Marullus »

So... Are we ready to go?

Pitch us stories!

What is Chapter 1, Enoch?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#149 Post by Enoch »

We can handle this a couple of ways. If there's something you all want to do--go treasure-hunting, strike against the Prince, do something else--I can probably create an adventure to do so. Otherwise, I can throw out a couple of ideas and you all can decide which sounds interesting.

Or I can simply start both groups at the "front door" of an adventure.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Marullus »

Group 1:
One group is:
* Never trust a human
* I must thin the human herd
* Subterfuge is always the best approach, and
* "dismissive of divine intervention in the world."

I liked the original pitch of seeking some ancient relic in a lost place of power. I think it should include a race against Human Clergy for those beliefs.

Group 2:
The other group is:
* Might is not always right
* Nothing is more important than prepping the next meal
* embrace the weird of the world and to feast in the essence of dreams!

They need an unjust situation where people are being starved and there's something more curious than an albino pigeon... And where a horse is useful.

From a selfish perspective, I hope their Chapter 1 is raiding a holding camp of prisoners from the Sorcerer's Tower, including the talking Bear chef and Rumplestiltskin. :) That way I can join them for Chapter 2: Return to Sorcerer's Tower.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Stirling »

Edited: Clough: aka 'Mouse number Two'

posted picture in his creation thread. I think skills and stuff are complete and will add or tweak goals when I know more of the adventure.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Rex »

I like Marullus' idea for group one, seems to be a good fit. I would just as soon start at the door so to speak.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#153 Post by Enoch »

Marullus wrote:Group 1:
One group is:
* Never trust a human
* I must thin the human herd
* Subterfuge is always the best approach, and
* "dismissive of divine intervention in the world."

I liked the original pitch of seeking some ancient relic in a lost place of power. I think it should include a race against Human Clergy for those beliefs.

Group 2:
The other group is:
* Might is not always right
* Nothing is more important than prepping the next meal
* embrace the weird of the world and to feast in the essence of dreams!

They need an unjust situation where people are being starved and there's something more curious than an albino pigeon... And where a horse is useful.

From a selfish perspective, I hope their Chapter 1 is raiding a holding camp of prisoners from the Sorcerer's Tower, including the talking Bear chef and Rumplestiltskin. :) That way I can join them for Chapter 2: Return to Sorcerer's Tower.
We'll start both groups "at the door", so to speak. I'm not sure how a "race against Human Clergy" would work in game terms (or dungeon design), so if you have any ideas on that please let me know.

As for a second character, I've mentioned several times that I am not ready to give players second characters. We have not even started the first adventure, and we're already well off the beaten path for Torchbearer, and stretching my confidence for successfully running this game.

What sort of relic is Group 1 seeking? A lost symbol of elven authority, maybe?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Rex »

That could work, maybe a symbol or documentation of a human family/clan that has a claim to the throne and is more sympathetic to our cause.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by drpete »

Broadly speaking, it would be good to have the human/nonhuman conflict in play from the start, somehow.

If we're talking about a traditional dungeon, then it might be something like the beginning of Indiana Jones, where three is this rival group that might show up as a twist in a pivotal moment.

Alternatively, we could be trying to do something like rob a human... catacomb (?) and our rivals are the regular denizens of the site.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#156 Post by Enoch »

Thanks, these are some good ideas: for the first party, I think you all will be trying to retrieve a lost crown of a fallen elven kingdom before agents of the state church can get it, and the second group will probably, as you say, be infiltrating a catacomb under the Prince's control.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Marullus »

rossik wrote:Durganor was from the Rockgate clan, tradicional for guarding gates. After losing both parents to goblin raids, Durganor got terrible nightmares with those creatures for year. One day, he was suppose to guard the side gates lonely (for just a moment, as his comrade went to attend the "nature's call"), and suddenly a small pack of goblins tried to breach the gates. He tried to resist the urge to run, but when he saw one of the goblins wearing a dwarf flesh mask resembling his mother, he had to run away. That caused the loss of 2 other dwarf guards, who got attacked by surprise. One of the guards were related to Gunthor.

The raiders were defeated, as was Durganor spirit. He run away from the Dwarven Halls, never to be seen again.

He had abandoned his clan name, but still uses the iron key he got from his father, during the initiation ritual. He uses it as a necklace, hidden under his beard.

Durganor knows he can still fight. Its in his blood. But for know he feels it thin and weak as a whisper. But the flame still there, waiting to burst.

Lonely, hungry and confused, he found Old Myrtha, who taught him the "ways of the rats", as she called it. It was the skills to survive in this dread world, and he learned it all. He even got the "graduation bracelet", made with rat tails.

Durganor desires little of life itself, but he knows there are things more incredible than a albino pigeon. He wants to see it all, to embrace the weird of the world and to feast in the essence of dreams!
Hey Rossik!

You have a fantastic write up above, but it looks like you still need to distill it in to a Belief, Goal, and Instinct on your sheet.

(Also, you Posted your character sheet twice - you can delete one of those :) )

Just using the above, I suggest...

Belief: I will see things more incredible than a albino pigeon.
Goal: I will regain my confidence in battle.
Instinct: Always look for good trash.

Personally, I love that belief, but you may want something that drives the story more directly. Your choice. A good belief encourages you to do difficult/troublesome things (like taking risks to discover something more incredible than a pigeon) or to role-play a struggle and break it (by giving up on seeking incredible things because you discovered a stronger motivation within you).

There's lots of good instincts you could do. This one highlights his training as a homeless bum and let's you use Scavenge every place you go without advancing the Grind. It's not a bad option.

Code: Select all

"Alright everyone, stay close. It's dangerous here and... Where's the dwarf?"
(From headfirst in the trash can) "Hey guys! I found us a rope!"

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#158 Post by rossik »

Sounds great! Will ad it tomorrow

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”