#1 Post by Bluehorse »

Heading Downtown
In the Fancy Caddy
August 13 8:30am
Nice out and the top down.

Coming from here:
viewtopic.php?f=628&t=8749&start=20#p439109

[quote="Lionel "Freight Train" Williams"]
Thank you, sir. Lionel opens the door and takes a seat in the car. Nice ride. Now, what did you want to speak with me about, Mr. Mayor?[/quote]

He smiles and pulls out into traffic with more honking horns as he grins and waves without a worry at all in the world.

Roll Easy Cool (>5) to see if you freak out a little. He drives like the Bandit because I am a nerd and I'm enjoying this a little too much.

Niiiiice mornin! I love when we get these night days in the middle of August. Usually powerful hot, you have to understand.
A few years ago it was over 120 degrees already. August... Oooooh... Hard month, August... Lot of people like to say June or July, but August? Fry an omelet on the Sidewalk with a side of hash. No joke.

More honking horns as he runs the red light and hangs a hard left with the white land yacht turning onto Garrison Ave. where Lionel was exploring after his not so successful date with Laquisha the other night. It looks somehow even more alive in the daylight, bright and somehow robust and still harkening back to an earlier time. There has been real work in preserving the old buildings from the looks of things, and feels like an odd throwback to several decades, as hints of each one is visible here and there.

Brownie Point Pool:
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 78/78

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Lionel: Ridin' with the Boss Hogg.

#2 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Lionel quickly realizes that it is better to pay attention to the mayor than how he is driving. Yes, sir, it does get pretty hot down here in August. But if you want hot, try August two-a-days in full pads or runnin' suicides. If you can handle those conditions, everything else is pretty easy. But I find it hard to believe you wanted to discuss the weather. Am I right, your mayorship?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Bluehorse »

The mayor laughs and nods. Oh, I remember! Ran a few years of those myself. 3 years in Middle School, 4 in High School, banged the homecoming queen my senior year and was a Razorback back in the day. Was never a runner, of course, I was on the line.
Right Guard. I can still hear the plastic and the heads smacking. Good years, good year. Glad to not have to run though. I always hated the running.
he chuckles again as he pulls into a parking spot shutting off the rumbling motor.

Mon, up. We can chat along the way... he continues to do the typical small talk, sidestepping Lionel's question. Along the way into City Hall, there are plenty of people either steering clear or pandering to the Mayor. The higher up and deeper they go, the more of the latter happens. As he turns a corner, talking about fishing now, a slightly older than middle-aged woman smiles and greets him with a cup of fresh coffee which he takes with a smile and turns to Lionel. Anything for you?

Whatever his reaction, they enter into the surprisingly big corner office. There are football and fishing trophies, a big buck on one wall and a big hog head on the one opposite of it. Law books fill that same wall, and there are pictures everywhere of the Mayor posing with various figures at various events over the decades. He walks around the big walnut desk and settles into the big leather executive chair with a big smile. Have a seat, my boy. Make yourself comfortable. Now you asked a pertinent question. What did I want to talk about? Well, let's say that I like to keep a close eye on my investments. So tell me, how is business going so far? No problems, I take it?

Scott308

#4 Post by Scott308 »

I'll have a water or a Gatorade if you have it. Either would be great. Thank you.
Bluehorse wrote:Have a seat, my boy. Make yourself comfortable. Now you asked a pertinent question. What did I want to talk about? Well, let's say that I like to keep a close eye on my investments. So tell me, how is business going so far? No problems, I take it?
Lionel sits down across from the mayor as a bottle of water is handed to him. Well, sir, as you've probably seen on the news, we've been on a few calls so far. As far as the business end, I don't really know the dollars. And to be honest, I'm not really sure that I would be allowed to tell you if I knew, sir. That's something we'd have to run by the folks in the main office. I will say that we have stuff we're working on, and I think we'll get more business as people get to know what we do.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Bluehorse »

The mayor smiles and leans forward, pointing at Lionel with a... somehow bigger smile than before. Ah ha! There you are, boy!
Get the word out! Advertisement!
he said pointing in such a way to show he was holding a phantom cigar almost as if by habit. The room certainly had a heady earthy smoke smell of his big cigars in it. You hit it right on the head, and I like that. We will get that going. Some commercials, a billboard or two. We'll have you up to your ears in spooks in no time. Now... don't worry about the numbers. I know the numbers. Things are progressing and I like that. I like it a lot. A nice solid start. Now you are kind of the front man in all this, so that makes you a rare commodity. You know what that means, right? You're valuable. I see big things in your future if you keep things up like you are. Charming and schmoozing the press, very good. So, where do you see yourself in the future, Mr. Williams?

Scott308

#6 Post by Scott308 »

Where do I see myself in the future? I guess...here, busting ghosts. I haven't been doing this for long- none of us have. I'm originally from Fayetteville, so when I got my choice of where I wanted to go after graduation, I wanted to come back home. Help my people, you know? I could have had a job in a big city- heck, I could have been posted to the flagship station in New York City, worked with the original Ghostbusters! But I wanted to go somewhere I felt I could do more to help, and choosing a small, backwater town- no offense, Mr. Mayor. This is a nice town, with some friendly folks who we can do a lot of good for, but compared to Paris or Tokyo... He shrugs as he takes a sip of water. This isn't a glamorous posting, and other than Etta who is from here in town, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who requested to be stationed here. I don't know what the future will bring, but for now I'm happy to be doing something I like, that allows me to help others, and allows me to be back in the area I grew up. I am an employee of Ghostbusters International, so if the home office decides that they want to send me somewhere else, I go. I hope that doesn't happen, but I have no say.

As for what else you said- being the front man? That just...happened, I guess. I have some experience with doing interviews and being on camera, while some of the others are uncomfortable with the idea, so I just stepped up when nobody else seemed willing. I wouldn't mind doing commercials. If it helps us attract more customers, great. More money, more people whose lives we'll be able to make better. I'm all for that. In fact, I've already agreed to be in a commercial- for Mr. Slimmerman. We got a deal on what is now the Ectomobile on the condition that I film a commercial with him to advertise the dealership.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Bluehorse »

The mayor smiles and even laughs a little in a subdued way. There. You see that? That is what is going to help you get far.
You have the hometown boy charm. You think and speak the right way. A little guiding hand, you could find yourself in high places.
Very high. And don't you worry about GBI. That can all be easily dealt with. I've got a few good folks all over that deal from day one and you are nice and comfy and settled in her for the long haul, long as you like. I can promise you that.
oh... politician grin. Back to the front man thing... That is exactly what I am talking about. You stepped up! This is why I pushed to make sure you got here, Mr. Freight Train. No, no, no! You definitely earned it, don't look shocked. You are a step up and take care of business man and everything on her resume and transcripts say so. It was good to get a local boy in here, and a football star too? You would have been a shew in either way, but I know when to tug on a string even when it doesn't need pulled. You get my meaning? that last part his tone was slightly more serious before he smiled again. I'm glad you want to wheel and deal with folks, even if it is that little man Slimmerman. But I am thinking much bigger. Thing is, you have something the rest of them don't. Star power and local roots. You're a true Arklahoman and we can use that. You could be put in charge of the whole thing. Why... you could be the boss! Have a nice chunk of shares for yourself... some real pay... Being head of the local Ghostbuster Department... New and modern! Exciting! Play your cards right, and I might... he looked up as he leaned over his desk. Be able to get you a nice spot on the City Council. Now... what do you think about that, son? He was watching you hard... and expectantly. What do you do? What does it mean? Was it an offer? A bribe? A favor? A threat?

Scott308

#8 Post by Scott308 »

I...I don't really know what to say, sir. I'm happy to hear you think that highly of me, but the boss? Me? I don't know if that is really for me. I don't think I know enough of the details and how everything works to be able to run the place. Then again, everyone else learned the stuff they know. Maybe someday I could learn enough to be able to run the firehouse properly.

And City Council? I never thought about going into politics, but that could be another way to help the folks in the area. Do you think they would want me on the Council, though? I mean...
he gestures at himself. I don't really seem to fit the part, if you know what I mean. Definitely something to think about. Man, my parents would be proud of the man I've grown to be, just having someone talk about the possibility of being a leader in business and the community. He shakes his head.

I always figured I'd be a football player, and that was all I'd ever be good at. It was all I ever wanted, really. Never thought there was anything more I'd even want to accomplish. You've opened up my eyes, Mr. Mayor, that's for sure. I didn't realize there were opportunities like that out there for me. Thank you. Thank you for believing in me. That's the first time someone told me they thought I could do something other than football.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Bluehorse »

[b]Lionel:[/b] wrote:   I...I don't really know what to say, sir. I'm happy to hear you think that highly of me, but the boss? Me? I don't know if that is really for me. I don't think I know enough of the details and how everything works to be able to run the place. Then again, everyone else learned the stuff they know. Maybe someday I could learn enough to be able to run the firehouse properly.

And the Mayor grinned.  Exactly right my boy.  I can make you a boss here.  I can put you right at the top of your so far small organization and soon, when we expand the business and create a larger presence, why you might be the head of a much larger department.  Think of it!  No more Lionel, no more Frieghtrain.  Just Mr. Williams.  Head of the City of Fort Smith Department of Ghostbusting!  Has a nice ring to it doesn't it, sir?  And I could put some of the actual company stock directly in your hands to boot.  The better the company does, the better you yourself would do.  And seeing as how good business already is, your prospects would be promised to grow, am I right?  I'll take you under my wing of course and get you headed straight.  No problems there.  As you said, we are breaking new ground.  There is already an expected learning curve, so no stress there. 

[b]Lionel:[/b] wrote:   And City Council? I never thought about going into politics, but that could be another way to help the folks in the area. Do you think they would want me on the Council, though? I mean... he gestures at himself. I don't really seem to fit the part, if you know what I mean. Definitely something to think about. Man, my parents would be proud of the man I've grown to be, just having someone talk about the possibility of being a leader in business and the community. He shakes his head. 

Hogwash!  You fit the bill just fine.  You just make sure to smile and treat people with respect and they will give it right back.  Think of it this way, the public, they already like you!  The media?  Ha! You have them dancing to your jig already!  You'd be a shew in vote!  We can make the spot on the council and usher you right in there.  And just like you said, break all the barriers you thought you saw there and have your dear mom and day smiling down on you for all you have done.  How about it?  Mr. Lionel "Frieghtrain" Williams, for the people!  Has a nice campaign type ring to it doesn't it?  What do you say?  Are you my boy to run for the spot, or aren't ya?

[b]Lionel:[/b] wrote:I always figured I'd be a football player, and that was all I'd ever be good at. It was all I ever wanted, really. Never thought there was anything more I'd even want to accomplish. You've opened up my eyes, Mr. Mayor, that's for sure. I didn't realize there were opportunities like that out there for me. Thank you. Thank you for believing in me. That's the first time someone told me they thought I could do something other than football.

Of course you can do more than football!  he almost laughs.  You proved that already!  You don't have to plan everything mind you, but when opportunity knocks, best open the door and drag em in, you know what I am saying?  Think of it as football backwards.  I always did.  My job before was to protect the backers from getting tackled so I kept all the threats out of the way when I was on the line.  Now, this is more like defense.  You gotta breakthrough, make a hole where there might not be one because the football is on the other side and that homecoming queen is waiting in the inzone for you to run up and hand it to her, you know what I mean?  So... Mr. Williams.  What do you think?  Do we have an arrangement? 

Scott308

#10 Post by Scott308 »

I'll have to think about this, sir. It's a lot to process all at once, but it sounds like quite an opportunity, Mr. Mayor. One thing I have to ask- is there any possible conflict of interest there?

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Bluehorse »

The Mayor laughs and waves it off. None whatsoever, don't you worry. This is simply moving up in the company and political opportunity. You mull it over a day or two and get back with me, okay? I'm easy to find. he reaches into his pocket as he stands up, pulling out a cigar and putting it into his mouth but not lighting it as he rounds the desk putting out his hands, one to shake and the other gently showing him to the door.

As it opens, J. T. falls in and onto the floor, obviously having been eavesdropping.

The mayor looks amused but then looks up at Lionel. Would you like a ride back home?

Scott308

#12 Post by Scott308 »

Thank you for the offer, sir, but I was in the middle of my run, so I'll just continue it.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Bluehorse »

Lionel is shown out of the office as the Mayor steps right over the prone J. T. Right! Gotta keep in shape. You have nothing if you don't have your health. You have a nice day now, and remember my door is open.

As Lionel finds his way out he can hear The Mayor getting onto J. T. just as the elevator door closes.

End Scene! :)

Return to “Mission Archive”