Campaign Burning

Marullus
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Campaign Burning

#41 Post by rossik »

im so..very...lost

do we roll dice to create characters? if not, do i have to chose from the many lists, or are we in agreement of something? (like a group organization). Whats a dwarf oath breaker? loved the name

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by Enoch »

Don't worry, we'll guide you through it. There won't be any dice rolled during character creation. The first step is to choose a class that appeals to you.

Oathbreaker is a great class! I'm away from the books right now, but when I get the chance I'll get you some more info on them. Don't be shy about asking about any of them, either.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by rossik »

Thanks!
I would like to know about the oathbreaker, and the minotaur one would be nice. but if mino is a class that would be difficult to have in the group, like, lets say, have a group of dwarves and chose a goblin, for instance, then its ok

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by Enoch »

Dwarf Oathbreaker
Dishonored and driven out by your clan for the terrible crime of breaking an oath, you wandered out from the halls of your fathers into a cold and inhospitable winter. Starving, cold and ready to give up all hope; doomed to wither away in the shadow of the mountain, you put your mind to survival at any cost—and miraculously, you thrived. Now you subsist on whatever coin your furs can bring in at market. Most of that goes to goods and sundries, the rest to strong drink. But there’s more than animal pelts out there in the wilds; there’s gold and glory for those brave enough to risk it all.

Mechanically, the Oathbreaker has some useful skills: Fighter (your combat skill), Hunter, Scout (sneaking), Scavenging, etc. He's an outcast. His benefits from leveling, though, are drawn from the Dwarf Adventurer and Human Warrior- he's a solid combatant with survival skills very useful to a band living on the fringes of society.

I'll post info on the Minotaur shortly. Don't worry much about "natural" fit. You all are outcasts from a Mannish kingdom that none of you fit in; natural enemies may make strange bedfellows, but you have bigger enemies to worry about. Play a dwarf and an orc in the same party. Have fun roleplaying mortal enemies who can't afford to turn on each other, because it could doom both your peoples.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by Enoch »

Minotaur Pit Fighter
Gentle guardians of immense size and strength, the minotaurs are a hybrid race; the result of magical experimentation ages past to create a loyal and submissive servitor race. After enduring centuries of subjugation by their wizard masters, they banded together to rebel secure their freedom. The wizards slain and their tower razed, the minotaurs live off the land as subsistence farmers, woodcutters and blacksmiths. Ever the slaves to their instincts, their nature compels some to seek
out new masters, this time in exchange for payment and glory as bodyguards, brutes, enforcers or gladiators.

Minotaurs are brutally strong warriors, with the ability to obtain incredible armor or survive off mere grazing (not something to scoff at when starvation is a real threat and rations take up precious space in your pack).

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

If you don't have Fearless and Freebooting, here is the basic info for the Forsaken Ridder

Forsaken Ridder

The landless or low-born sons and daughters of Gottland have little opportunity and very few possessions except for a horse and lance. Forsaken Ridders are abandoned by the warchiefs and overlooked by their parents. They travel ever-waywardly south, searching for purpose, teetering on the edge of the poverty-stricken. Yet, they are resolute and determined to earn respect in combat and gain riches to bring back to the Gottland. They yearn for their own land and are unwavering in doing what it takes to expand their holdings.

Class Overview Starting Options
Stock Human
Class Forsaken Ridder
Raw Abilities Distribute 8 points between Will and Health; neither stat may have a rating lower than 2 or higher than 6.
Skills Rider 4, Fighter 3, Scout 2, Hunter 2, Criminal 2
Alignment Any
Weapons Lance, any polearm, or sword
Armor Leather, chain, and helmet

Special Skill Choose one of these skills and give it a rating of 3: Commander, Haggler, Pathfinder, Survivalist
Special Rules Starts with a War Horse. Begins with limited starting gear and supplies. No benefits from parents or hometown.
Start with Lance-charging wise.
Starting Trait Steadfast (Middarmark, p. 62)
Starting Weapon Lance
Starting Armor Helmet

New Weapon Lance Lance (Ob 3), hand/carried 2 When used in open quarters while astride a mount,
a lance grants +1D to Attack and Maneuver and bypasses leather and chain armor.
A successful disarm maneuver can unseat a mounted opponent. If used in close quarters
or on foot, a lance is an improvised weapon.

Bonus Wise You begin with Lance-charging wise; select another wise of your choice.

Forsaken
You have parents although sometimes you wish that you didn’t. When answering your Circles questions (see “Circles and Relationships,” Torchbearer, page 17), you must have parents and cannot be an orphan. Without opportunities for land in the Gottmark, you have entered into a sort of exile from your kin and abandoned your tribe. Your tribe is not forgotten, however, and perhaps someday, you can earn the favor of your chief and return to your parents. Until then, your parents are a source of constant tension and a reminder of failed opportunities and the cruelty of fate. You do not gain benefits or bonuses from your parents or hometown, and you cannot stay at your parents’ home. Then, again, with enough gold, maybe you can win their favor or you can swear them off and build a new life on your own.

Limited Starting Gear
Without a coin in your purse, you have fallen on desperate times. In your travels to find a new beginning, you have consumed all but one portion of your rations. When creating your character, you do not get to choose your starting equipment and gear. Instead, use this list of items as your starting inventory.
- Water in skin
- Torches (2)
- Preserved Rations (1)
- Choose a satchel or a backpack
- Helmet
- Lance
- War Horse, (see “Rider,” Torchbearer, page 141)
Your horse carries bits and spurs, a saddle and bridle, and a saddle blanket.

Level Benefits
Level 1
You have left your homeland to find fame or fortune. You may wield a lance, any polearm, or a sword for a weapon. You may wear leather or chain armor and don a helmet. You start with a war horse, limited supplies and gear, and a bonus lance-charging wise.

Several of the later level benefits require Bravery.

Requires Bravery!
The sagas speak of brave adventurers famous for their courage in battle or on the sea pursuing daring achievements. Certain level benefits for each class are noted as “Requires Bravery!” This means the character cannot use that level benefit while suffering from the Afraid condition. So, go boldly forth to march into conflict or explore the depths... to be fearless and freebooting.

Steadfast
Steadfast individuals are resolute and unwavering. They find it difficult to change their minds or admit they’ve chosen the wrong course.

Rider
Knights, horse archers and goblin wolf-riders use this skill to ride and care for horses and more exotic riding beasts. A properly trained and controlled mount grants the benefits of its Nature, size and weapons to its rider. Being mounted increases your size on the order of might to that of your beast. On your action, you can use your mount’s weapons instead of your own. When mounted, the Rider skill is used for Maneuver in a kill, capture or drive off conflict or Attack in a flee conflict. To urge a mount into combat, use the factors listed below. A rider whose mount is trained for war may use the lance weapon with the Fighter skill while mounted. Riders use bits and spurs from smiths, saddles and bridles from tanners or saddle blankets from weavers as tools and supplies.

Suggested Help for Rider: Peasant
Beginner’s Luck for Rider: Health
Rider Factors To Train unbroken Steeds: This is a special conflict that pits Rider, Peasant and Hunter against the beast’s Nature. Or, use the following factors.

Provenance: tame, feral, wild

Outcome: skittish, stubborn, docile, confident

Purpose: riding, war

For riding beasts in battle, use the following: Bestial Temperament: confident, docile, stubborn, skittish

Command: just knees no reins, spoken

Training (do not use if trained for battle): riding animal, untrained, wild or feral

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by Enoch »

I picked up F&F today but haven't had a chance to review it. At first glance, Ridder looks like he'd be extremely powerful in a fight where he can fight on horseback, and much less powerful elsewhere. I'll look more thoroughly this weekend.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Rex »

Your blurb is awesome, looks perfect to me. I think I am going with the witch. I haven't seen the other ones mentioned where do I find them?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Marullus »

Rex wrote:Your blurb is awesome, looks perfect to me. I think I am going with the witch. I haven't seen the other ones mentioned where do I find them?
Witch is fun. :)

Trollborn Enchanter is in Fearless and Freebooting and requires access to a few bits (spells, etc) from Middarmark.

I really like having Dwarves in the Resistance - their nature includes "avenging a grudge." :lol:

Hometowns have an impact on what you grew up as. Your dwarf could have been the dwarfiest and lived in a Great Dwarven Halls or he could have grown up at a Busy Crossroads. In this setting, that doesn't have to imply that your hometown is still there. Did you grow up in a great Dwarf Hall that then fell to a siege by Prince Farquad, thus putting you in your present predicament? Good stuff there - are your parents, friend, or mentor in a now-hidden delve or in an internment camp being forced to work and in need of rescue? Those things get decided when you pick a hometown, relationships, beliefs, and goals for your character and then Enoch spins a world from it.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by Enoch »

The others are in various supplements: p1 of this thread has a list of the classes and their sources. If you don't have a particular book, I'll post the class.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by Enoch »

Bill, I'll have to review the Ridder a bit further (in particular, the spirit familiar), but here are my initial thoughts:
  • He seems like he'll be supremely powerful in combat when you can be mounted and use the lance effectively,
    and somewhat below other combat-focused characters when not. This is not necessarily a deal-breaker. I will, of course, try to make open-field combat a possibility, but a lot of that will depend on the group's choices. In a traditional dungeon-delving campaign, Ride seems like a trap skill in that it won't be used much. This campaign...well, that's up to you all.
  • It's likely to be difficult at the beginning: if Session 1 starts at the door to a dungeon, you'll have to figure out what you're doing with your horse immediately, because it's unlikely that you'll be able to take them inside.
  • I'm thinking if you tie them up outside you'll make a Camp roll for them to determine if there are any consequences (this will NOT count as a Camp phase unless you all decide to make it one). Your horse may take consequences, including Conditions that may affect your ability when mounted (it's hard to charge on a Sick or Exhausted horse).
  • I do think that the idea of an outcast knight, exiled from a distant land and estranged from his family, has promise!

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by drpete »

Marullus wrote: I really like having Dwarves in the Resistance - their nature includes "avenging a grudge." :lol:

Hometowns have an impact on what you grew up as. Your dwarf could have been the dwarfiest and lived in a Great Dwarven Halls or he could have grown up at a Busy Crossroads. In this setting, that doesn't have to imply that your hometown is still there. Did you grow up in a great Dwarf Hall that then fell to a siege by Prince Farquad, thus putting you in your present predicament? Good stuff there - are your parents, friend, or mentor in a now-hidden delve or in an internment camp being forced to work and in need of rescue? Those things get decided when you pick a hometown, relationships, beliefs, and goals for your character and then Enoch spins a world from it.
That's some good stuff! I'll definitely be thinking about some of that while working on my character :)

At this moment, I'm thinking about being a worn-down, "jaded" mercenary type character, who would (presumably) warm up to actual resistance as the game went on.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by Enoch »

Great example! (If that's intimidating, don't worry, we'll go through it step-by-step.) Just pick your class for now (or ask about any that sound interesting).

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Stirling »

If things get bad, could we eat the Ridders horse? ;)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Rex »

Of course. Horse is actually pretty good.

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by rossik »

Oathbreaker it is! Love it!
What's next?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by drpete »

Here's the oathbreaker class info:
Screenshot_20191013-015244_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20191013-015244_Adobe Acrobat.jpg (569.55 KiB) Viewed 2363 times

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by Enoch »

Rossik, step 2 is to choose where you're from. While Dwarven Halls is the obvious choice, it's not the only one. The Character Burning thread has info on what skills and traits are available in each of the towns.

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by rossik »

Do i post here?
This character creation is very different from the others, hehe

Durganor
Oathbreaker
Origin: Dwarven Halls
Skill: Stonemason 2
Trait: Cunning
Social Grace: Manipulator 2
Specualty: Scavenger 2
Wise: Dwarven Chronicles, Goblin

Do i find the other steps in the book, or are we waiting to all of us to advance steps together?
Last edited by rossik on Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by Enoch »

Character creation really is very different from most D20-based systems. Character creation is in the main book and you're welcome to run ahead (several players with experience in the system have done so), but I'll be posting the rules step-by-step so nobody gets overwhelmed. (A quick preview: the next step is to choose your "social grace": pick Haggler, Manipulator, Orator or Persuader. Rating is 2 unless you have it, in which case it goes up 1 to a max of 4.)

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”