Action Thread 6

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Action Thread 6

#41 Post by Distorted Humor »

Odo hits the shadows hard and if the spiders look like they see him, he will fall back, if they don't, it will be backstabbing time.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#42 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:Before I decide to split you guys up, or go to PMs for one group, I wanted to give the last couple of folks a chance to weigh in, and to establish where everyone is.
Don't everyone speak at once!
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by saalaria »

I would say most have stated where they are/what they are doing! Bring on the spiders!

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#44 Post by Vargr1105 »

If Rake hears sounds of battle coming from where Odo is he will run towards that area. Otherwise he continues with his set course of action.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#45 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar turns her back on Wulfgar and returns to the rest of the party to assist with the spiders.

As she's leaving, she calls over her shoulder, "Way to leave your friends in need, Wulfgar. Your gods must be proud of you."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 1:10 p
Round 1

Moving forward.

Odo disappears into the dark, as spiders come rushing down the hall. Illhalevar loath to leave her companions heads back, as does Rake who fears for Odo's safety.

Torches start to sputter but still have some life, as Varkos, Zafalia and Malak shed light on the passage. Bursting out of the dark, are 4 spiders running down the hall. Two on the floor, one half on the floor and wall, one full on the wall. They come within the radius of light (about 30' or so) and slow down. Son of Thunder has a clear shot. Varkos waits behind him, with Rake charging up.

One is definitely larger and nastier looking than the rest, one is a bit smaller than the rest. But they are all between 4 to 4 1/2 feet long, and very, very fast. It's disturbing even as you can tell they are slowing down. Otherwise they look like this:

Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (41.8 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
As the torches perceptibly darken, the spiders start to whistle and gather themselves!

If no one is rushing into melee, Son of Thunder thinks he can get off two shots. Otherwise tell me what you'd like to do, and please make the corresponding rolls for those actions. Good luck!

[/b]HPs: Malak - 15/15; Varkos - 22/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
WIH: Malak: short sword; Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): 1- Zafalia and Varkos and Malak; 2- Odo and Rake and SoT and Ilhalevar; 3- ; 4- Al'Zur (back to one side of the cavern opening); 5- Wulfgard; 6-
Consumables: Hooded lamp (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 1 minutes (Varkos), 40' radius; Torch, 1 minutes (Rake), 40' radius; Torch, 1 minutes Zafalia (off), 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-3/4, 2-3/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#47 Post by Distorted Humor »

As soon as the spiders are in range of the melee, Odo races out to strike a backstab

[1d20] = 3

Not sure why Odo even tries :lol:

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#48 Post by Nuke66 »

"Perhaps a spell about now?" Al'Zur says out loud to anyone who cares.

Holding his bow at the ready he stands behind the front line a bit, waiting on the action.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by tkrexx »

To hit: [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4, damage with bow: [1d6] = 1
To hit: [1d20+2] = 0+2 = 2, damage with bow: [1d6] = 3
Something amiss with the die roller? "0" to hit?

The Ranger again curses his aim at the ceiling-strider, drops his bow and takes up his spear.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#50 Post by Alethan »

tkrexx wrote:To hit: [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4, damage with bow: [1d6] = 1
To hit: [1d20+2] = 0+2 = 2, damage with bow: [1d6] = 3
Something amiss with the die roller? "0" to hit?

The Ranger again curses his aim at the ceiling-strider, drops his bow and takes up his spear.
In fact, there is. I'd reroll that one, TK.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by Distorted Humor »

does that mean i can reroll my 3?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Argennian »

"We need another torch or two friends," explains Zafalia as she carefully sets Odo's sputtering torch down and moves up to strike out with her spear from the 2nd rank behind Son of Thunder...

To Hit: Spear [1d20] = 11 (hits AC9), Damage: vs sm/med sized creatures [1d6] = 4
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by rredmond »

]
Distorted Humor wrote:does that mean i can reroll my 3?
sure!!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#54 Post by Vargr1105 »

Rake readies his shield and draws his sword, readying himself to act on the next round.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by saalaria »

When he is able to Varkos attacks nearest spider - biggest one preferably:

Longsword [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11 Dam [1d8+5] = 7+5 = 12

He hopes its a hit!

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by tkrexx »

re-roll 2nd shot, not using totalled macro:
[1d20] = 13 +2dex=15
[1d6] = 4

Thaaaaaaat's more like it, btween its 8 eyes!

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#57 Post by Distorted Humor »

[1d20] = 16

[1d6] = 6

Assuming that hits

Odo is shocked as his blade hits home, as he really never struck anything

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#58 Post by Alethan »

Unprepared to cast her last spell for the day, the spiders are no longer grouped tightly enough to be effectively put to sleep.

So Ilhalevar charges in to the nearest spider (preferably one that someone else is already attacking) and swings at it with her staff.

(Do we need an initiative roll, Ron? If so, here is one. If not, ignore.)

initiative [1d6] = 5

Ilhalevar's attack...

melee attack, quarterstaff [1d20] = 1

lol. Apparently she's unprepared for melee, as well.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by Nuke66 »

The timing ruined entirely, Al'Zur switches weapons and looks to out flank the spiders.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 1:11 p
Round 1

Sorry all. Work gobbled up megachunks of my personal life and the missing DM caused a little confusion here. I’ll try to sort it out so we can move forward.

The spiders rush up and slowed down as they see you. Then they seem to gather themselves and start making a sound like a whistle.

Al’Zur wonders aloud if it’s a good time for magic and takes out his bow. The Ranger shoots his bow.

Zafalia puts the torch down (it’s going out) and readies her spear (can’t attack just yet as no one has closed). Rake readies his sword and shield, his torch is going out. Varkos is readying for attack. Illhalevar is charging into battle at the first opportunity with her mighty staff.

And the hobbit thief makes a backstab on the spiders.

I’m going to resolve the first arrows and backstab. I’m going to play any missed arrows, and the smallish Halfling in the back, by ear. It won’t be as horrible as shooting into melee, but there’s certainly some risk. If Al’Zur wants to shoot arrows, he still can. Otherwise you’ve won initiative and it looks like everyone is preparing for the spiders. Malak wanders off, maybe to find the cleric. And, BTW, PM to Solinor.

First half of Round 1:

Odo backstabs one of the spiders in the rear, well, in the rear. It turns to face him, fangs glistening with poison, then flumphs to the ground dead. Odo is double surprised, he hit AND killed something.

The Ranger’s second shot finds a home in the cephalothorax of the lead spider. It looks kind of silly as it moves forward with what looks like a feather in its cap.

Okay, I’ll wait for Nuke66, because I screwed up the play here a bit, he may want to shoot arrows, or still get ready for the spider onslaught. Then things’ll happen quite quickly to end round one. I’ll keep the rolls for Zafalia, Varkos, and Illhalevar, but require rolls for Rake and Al’Zur. As soon as I get Rake and Al’Zur I’ll resolve the rest of Round 1 so we can move forward. My apologies again guys!

HPs: Malak - 15/15; Varkos - 22/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
WIH: Malak: short sword; Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): 1- Zafalia and Varkos and Malak; 2- Odo and Rake and SoT and Ilhalevar; 3- ; 4- Al'Zur (back to one side of the cavern opening); 5- Wulfgard; 6-
Consumables: Hooded lamp (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 1 minutes (Varkos), 40' radius; Torch, 1 minutes (Rake), 40' radius; Torch, 1 minutes Zafalia (off), 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-3/4, 2-3/3

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”