Action Thread 14

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 14

#21 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:Till shrugs and simply asks, "What's the best way in?"
Over the outerwall, or over my wall, either way. You can go back to the tower and get in that way. If you have a way over my wall, that would get you closer to the temple. Either way, the giant rats will know you are there within 10 or 20 minutes, then they will inform him, then things are likely to get difficult.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#22 Post by Alethan »

Till starts examining the wall separating Zones 5 and 6 to see how easy they would be to climb...

How high are the inner walls, then?
"Maybe I could climb up and attach a rope at the top for everyone else? I don't know how often rats (or giant rats) would look up to the tops of the walls... if they spend any time out in the open. We might have enough time to gather at the top, then scurry down the other side and storm the temple, looking for the rat king. Or... I could always try to sneak my way through and scout it out..."

Till looks a little nervous at the last suggestion, but he feels the need to throw it out there.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by rredmond »

The walls are all a pretty uniform 20' high, and are made of solid, about 3' or 4' thick stone.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by Alethan »

Oh, s**t, that's no problem. I thought they were 60' high, too. :D

Does anyone have any spikes for the anchoring of ropes? Till can get one or two ropes up, with a bit of climbing, and we can do two on one rope and three on the other and get over without TOO much trouble, I'd imagine.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#25 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:Does anyone have any spikes for the anchoring of ropes?
Bruard has a dozen. Let me know how many you need, and I'll take them off my character sheet.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by Alethan »

If we have three ropes, then we could...

Bah, hammering a spike in is sure to draw attention.

What do the tops of the walls look like?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Argennian »

Yosef studies the newly-detailed map and considers their plans before he voices a thought to Till, Bruard and Jeloon. “I agree that pounding in spikes will likely give away any hope for surprise we might already enjoy. Mayhap we could construct a ladder or some kind of platform on this side to make our ascending to the top of the wall easier? We could then anchor the rope and simply slide down the other side.” The elf will look about Melissa's shard to see if this might somehow be accomplished with anything present.

“If our plan is to then approach that temple from over this wall here, perhaps we could also think about planning on creating a diversion over near the outer wall or tower, if we are spotted? Regardless, we must be prepared for the contingency of being seen and this wererat being ready for us. Hopefully we can make it into the temple and catch him unawares.”

Yosef then details his spell roster to the others. “I have been studying the magical scrolls we found at the watch tower. I might be able to utilize at least a few of those spells, depending. How about you, friend Bruard? What spells have you chosen to be bestowed from mighty Shinare?”

OOC: are we planning and agreed upon bringing Van along then?

Ron: any word on a potential replacement for running Jeloon?
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by rredmond »

The top of the wall is flat. Nothing to really secure a rope too, but nothing to really prevent throwing a rope over.
Chris is finding catch-up a bit daunting :D I'll keep NPCing Jeloon until he's ready.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by Alethan »

OOC: we ARE prolific posters...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by rredmond »

Further food for though, Melissa's outer wall is vine covered. You could go the the very north-east corner of Melissa's Zone, climb up the vines to gain the top. Then you only have to worry about the drop on the other side.

Flambeaux
Strider
Strider

#31 Post by Flambeaux »

How risky is it to send someone with a length of rope up to tie it off and lower it down so we don't have to worry about the drop on the other side?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by Alethan »

"We could anchor two ropes on this side, then I could bring them up with me when I climb and slip them over the top and down to the other side. Once we drop to the other side, we can follow the wall until we see the temple, then head right to it."

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#33 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:"We could anchor two ropes on this side, then I could bring them up with me when I climb and slip them over the top and down to the other side. Once we drop to the other side, we can follow the wall until we see the temple, then head right to it."
Bruard rubs his chin then replies Good idea, Till. I have one length of 50 foot rope, which should be enough, given that these walls are about 20 feet high. Anyone else got at least 50 feet of rope?
Ron, is there anything near the walls that we can anchor the rope(s) to? Like a stout tree or stump or large boulder???

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by rredmond »

There are two trees within 20 feet of the wall. Not sure if that's good enough for you though. I marked them at the red "T".
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (99.7 KiB) Viewed 1416 times

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Argennian »

Yosef will assist the others with securing the rope and making ready to ascend the wall!

OOC: Welcome aboard, Flambeaux! 8-)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#36 Post by ToniXX »

rredmond wrote:There are two trees within 20 feet of the wall. Not sure if that's good enough for you though. I marked them at the red "T".
Unless we tie two lengths of 50 feet together, 50 feet alone may only get us to the top of the wall, and not down the other side.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#37 Post by Alethan »

I was thinking it might be possible to tie off ropes at the base of the vines near the corner of the inner wall and the outer wall, then throw them over the wall there.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#38 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:I was thinking it might be possible to tie off ropes at the base of the vines near the corner of the inner wall and the outer wall, then throw them over the wall there.
Ok, good idea if that will work. Should we run two ropes or just one?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by rredmond »

Looking at the vines, they are strong, and anchored well (themselves) into the stone wall. The base, though, is the stronger point if you wish to tie off the rope.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by Alethan »

Till makes his way to the corner where the outer wall of the city meets up with the wall dividing Melissa's zone from the wererat's.

He takes Bruard's rope and ties it off at the base of the vines, then does the same with his own. He then climbs the vines, with the ends of both ropes tucked through his belt, until he gets to the top. There, he slowly peaks over the wall to see if he can spot any activity. If he sees nothing, then he'll slowly slide the ropes down the other side of the wall.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”